[1.2] Real Solar System v12.0 Dec 8

NathanKell

11 hours ago, cassmssn said:

Sry if I didn’t make it clear, the vessel isn’t floating upwards or anything, everything works normal except the vessel isn’t positioned right on the runway/launch pad. This problem also occurs on EVA (see link). Graphic details are set to their highest level, and I only have installed the following mod, no FAR or tweakscale (everything via CKAN):

-Kopernicus

-KSC Switcher

-Module Manager

-Real Solar System (incl. 2048 textures)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/63z3dch27epr4an/1.jpg?dl=0 

8 hours ago, NathanKell said:

@Epicolly compare the manual and the CKAN install. That should tell you what the difference is.

@cassmssn to some extent that's a known issue, sorry.

So is this the sort of "known issue" or (probably) caused by something else? I think I remember reading/hearing somewhere about it being a problem with Real Solar System and single precission floating values.

http://imgur.com/um0T7Xi

Sucks if otherwise decent planes crash on near perfect landing due to landing gear sinking in runway...

If it's a known (known like "not fixable") issue, what sort of landing gear do other people use that works? (and why keep not working landing gear in the mod?)

Modlist (100% CKAN install):

• Kopernicus
  • RSSTextures8192
  • KSCSwitcher
  • ModuleManager
  • RealSolarSystem
  • SmokeScreen
  • AdvancedJetEngine
  • FerramAerospaceResearch
  • FirespitterCore
  • SolverEngines
  • KerbalJointReinforcement
  • RealHeat
  • RealChute
  • RealismOverhaul
  • RealFuels
  • CommunityResourcePack
  • RealPlume
  • DeadlyReentry
  • KSP-AVC
  • ProceduralFairings
  • InfernalRobotics
  • RemoteTech
  • CustomBarnKit
  • ContractConfigurator
  • ContractConfigurator-RemoteTech
  • CoherentContracts
  • VenStockRevamp
  • ProceduralParts
  • InfernalRobotics-LegacyParts
  • TweakScale
  • DMagicOrbitalScience
  • DockingPortAlignmentIndicator
  • KerbalAlarmClock
  • TextureReplacer
  • StarTrekRebootUniformPack
  • xScience
  • SCANsat
  • ContractConfigurator-ContractPack-SCANsat
  • MechJeb2
  • MechJebForAll
  • RP-0
  • TestFlight
  • Toolbar
  • SXT
  • ModularFlightIntegrator
  • FirespitterResourcesConfig
  • CommunityTechTree
  • TACLS
  • TACLS-Config-RealismOverhaul
Edited by TeiwazVIE

There seem to be an issue with the highest time warps and ablators withering slowly away over time. I edited the warp steps 1-7 in realsolarsystem.cfg to standard ones and the issue went away.

Also, as I posted earlier, reactor cores' lifetime suffers the same and is remedied by the same edit. 

The logs do not reflect any of this.

5 hours ago, NathanKell said:

@SkyKaptn please try to repro with *just* RSS, not using various other mods.

Tested a clean install with just RealSolarSystem_v11.2.0 ( + included dependencies), 8192 textures and Smurff. Looks as if the issue with time warp and ablators is gone. Had no way to check the decaying idle reactors as this was pure stock + RSS. Now to the most glorious task to check my modlist from previous install 1 by 1 to see who is the culprit. (picture)
-BTW, had a massive number of "E is NaN" and "Dt is NaN" in this brand new install with RSS. Do not know what that is all about.

12MwM9O.png

@NathanKell, I have some suggested fixes for you.

First, after looking at Pluto I noticed that the terrain features in RSS are reversed from what they should be.  Below is a map of Pluto:

Spoiler

plutomap.jpg

And here is a screenshot that I took from the game:

Spoiler

Pluto.jpg

As you can see, the screenshot is a mirror image.  The textures should be flipped left to right.

Furthermore, Pluto's initial rotation (currently set to 0) is off just a bit, making it's surface incorrectly oriented in relation to Charon.  It looks like that setting initialRotation = 12 places the anti-Charon point in just about the right spot (dot in center of screenshot).  Of course that should probably be re-checked after the image is flipped.

I also found an error in Moon.cfg.  The parameter listed as "LAN" should be changed to "longitudeOfAscendingNode".

(edit)

I've reverse my textures and it looks good.  However, in making the mirror image it threw off the anti-Charon point.  Setting initialRotation = 19 seems to fix it.  If it will save you any time, I can provide a copy of the updated files.

Edited by OhioBob

Hey guys, I'm entirely knew to RSS, and I just successfully launched my first vessel. All looks great so far! However, I'm not sure if everything seems right, just because of a lack of experience. Can I ask where the atmosphere should end? It felt to me that the atmosphere ended way too early in my launch, so I don't know if it's right or not.

4 hours ago, MrMeeb said:

Huh, it seemed to me to end at 70km, like stock. Maybe I'll reinstall and see if that fixes it. Thanks!

Although the RSS atmosphere extends to 140 km, the upper part of it is much thinner than anything you'll experience in stock.  By the time you reach the upper atmosphere, you'll probably not notice much in terms of aerodynamic effects.  One way to tell is that if you can't high-speed time warp, then you are inside the atmosphere.

Edited by OhioBob

1 hour ago, OhioBob said:

Although the RSS atmosphere extends to 140 km, the upper part of it is much thinner than anything you'll experience in stock.  By the time you reach the upper atmosphere, you'll probably not notice much in terms of aerodynamic effects.  One way to tell is that if you can't high-speed time warp, then you are inside the atmosphere.

I understand that. Is it okay that FAR indicates 0 on the atmospheric density after about 60km though?

14 minutes ago, MrMeeb said:

I understand that. Is it okay that FAR indicates 0 on the atmospheric density after about 60km though?

I don't know much about FAR, I don't use it, but that certainly doesn't sound right.  At 60 km the air density should be about 0.00032 kg/m3.

1 hour ago, OhioBob said:

I don't know much about FAR, I don't use it, but that certainly doesn't sound right.  At 60 km the air density should be about 0.00032 kg/m3.

It might just be a display rounding issue.

19 minutes ago, Starwaster said:

It might just be a display rounding issue.

Most likely. Doesn't seem to go to enough decimal places to display that. Well, all is better than it looks then. Awesome!

Thanks guys :) 

I'm pretty sure that it's a platinum question, but anyway, is there any chance to have normal axial tilts support for celestial bodies in KSP in the near future? Or this changes Squad don't want to implement at all? I see already two opinions about simulating tilts in RSS between modmakers and that is a bit confusing.

Hi

I have been trying Realism Overhaul in 1.1.2 and got as far as trying a moon shot. What I have seen is that compared to 1.0.5 the orbit inclination has dropped to almost equatorial making a KSC launch much more difficult.as now the minimum inclination is 23.5 or so. In 1.05 it was almost 0 which is as it should be as KSC's latitude is much the same as the Moon's inclination. It looks like something has changed with the handling of the polar tilt.

5 hours ago, alastairphysick said:

Hi

I have been trying Realism Overhaul in 1.1.2 and got as far as trying a moon shot. What I have seen is that compared to 1.0.5 the orbit inclination has dropped to almost equatorial making a KSC launch much more difficult.as now the minimum inclination is 23.5 or so. In 1.05 it was almost 0 which is as it should be as KSC's latitude is much the same as the Moon's inclination. It looks like something has changed with the handling of the polar tilt.

I do remember KSC being perfect for moon launches in 1.0.5.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orbit_of_the_Moon#/media/File:Earth-Moon.PNG If I'm looking at this correctly, it makes me think you should be able to get an in-plane launch from anywhere between roughly -28.5 and +28.5 deg (23.5 from the earth's tilt, plus anther 5 from the inclination of the moons orbit around earth).  That's why KSC is perfect, since it's at about 28.4 deg N.  I'll pull up KSP later and see if I see the same thing.

Edited by rsparkyc

1 hour ago, NathanKell said:

@alastairphysick nothing has changed. If something has changed for you you have a borked install, or have something else installed that is interfering. The Moon still has a 28.36d inclination with respect to Earth's equator and Canaveral's launch site is still at 28.6.

Yeah, checked out my install and it looked right too.