[1.2] Real Solar System v12.0 Dec 8

NathanKell

Some compression, we don't really need THAT detailed map of Mars. Everything would get blurry once you get to the surface anyway.

I'm sorry but you just don't know what are you talking about... These maps look AMAZING!

I'm sorry but you just don't know what are you talking about... These maps look AMAZING!

I know they do :D But also you should receive a *64* bit version of KSP along with 16 gb ram as free gifts :)

I know they do :D But also you should receive a *64* bit version of KSP along with 16 gb ram as free gifts :)

As I've said, it's totally possible to make this happen in 32bits, I just don't know how to do it in Unity (in Orbiter plugin I was working directly with DirectX interfaces).

This mod is pure masochism. It took me something like 15,000 delta-v to get a small craft into solar orbit. My biggest issue was rockets being so big that they can't be held together without flipping all over the place. In other words, this mod is pure awesome :D

Now I want a Laythe colony.

As I've said, it's totally possible to make this happen in 32bits, I just don't know how to do it in Unity (in Orbiter plugin I was working directly with DirectX interfaces).

I'm sure it can be done with no problems on stock KSP. However, the real scales mod goes with a tonne of other stuffs, parts, plug-ins, etc. At the moment I'm up to 3.5 GB RAM as soon as KSP loads. It crashes at least once per day too... So, we've got some constraints there.

I'm sure it can be done with no problems on stock KSP. However, the real scales mod goes with a tonne of other stuffs, parts, plug-ins, etc. At the moment I'm up to 3.5 GB RAM as soon as KSP loads. It crashes at least once per day too... So, we've got some constraints there.

It never crashed for me - and I had it running for like half a day...

Camacha: Yes, I mean trying to get the terran to look like what it's supposed to at ground level.

BoZo, lijat, you can edit all values in the CFG.

AndreyATGB: I think I may have goofed, where some moons do have their inclinations in re: the ecliptic, back when I thought I could get axial tilt to work without changes on Squad's side. I'll go through and make sure all moons have their inclinations re: the equator. That or it's just a typo. :]

mushroomman: I did actually work up a version of cloud_layers.cfg with approx-correct colors for Veneve and Titaythe, but I never had a chance to post. I'm sure you'll do a much better job though! (It was just tweaking the RGB values and giving Laythe the Eve cloud defines for thick atmosphere).

Since bump maps (rather than normal maps) _are_ height maps, that was what I was planning to use, yes. Please do send them over!

asmi (also re: maps): that's...about what I expected from you. ^_^ But as we were discussing, those will have to wait for a paging PQSMod.

For cloud values (in re Starwaster): the issue is, since I don't have new scaledspace meshes yet, you can't go too far below the original values, since while the height-ASL for PQS terran is only approx 1.5x Kerbin's, the scaled space mesh, since it's a single mesh with a single scale value, has mountains 11x as tall. Hence the flickering if the radius multiplier in cloud_layers.cfg gets too low. I've had success with yargnit's suggestion of 1.003 and 1.004. Note you will also have to edit common.cfg and change the LOD switch ranges to about 2000 each or you won't get clouds on the surface / at low altitude.

DarthVader: 300km is the minimum for an orbit that doesn't, in real life, degrade incredibly quickly.

Captain Party: Depends on your TWR. You want to start your turn at no more than 100m/s velocity, so whatever altitude that occurs at. Also, you want to set your shape and end height based on your TWR later on--if you're trying for single stage, you want something maybe like 40 or 50% and end height 80-100? If you have a low-TWR upper stage, you might want more like 60-70% and end height maybe 160km? Maybe even a final turn angle of >0? It really depends.

metaphor: while I have not yet had time to switch to pressureCurves for atmosphers, all scale heights are correct to the best of my (and Medieval Nerd, who did the research for me!)'s knowledge. The issue with Venus/Eve's pressure, however, is as ferram says, that's why I went with the KSP stock 5x instead of the real life 92x. With a pressure curve we could get around that.* Note that Jupiter's atmosphere never really ends, it shifts smoothly into liquid. The surface is set at the "conventional" base of the atmosphere, where pressure = 10 bar.

ferram: the pressure curve, since it has a determined end point, will not get clamped by "<=1E-6 means 0" IIRC.

From what I've been able to determine, the actual expression for atmopsheric pressure (when useLegacyAtmosphere is true) is, contrary to the KSP wiki, this: atmosphereMultiplier * (e * staticPressureASL)^(-alt_in_km/scaleHeight). It cuts to 0 when pressure is < 1E-6. However, the 1E-6 cutoff is applied BEFORE atmosphereMultiplier is applied, which is the source of the problem.

Starwaster: Yes, there is a temperatureCurve for bodies.

li7in6: I've been using a flat 10x multiplier, which seems to work ok, but your approach sounds much better. Given that RemoteTech2 source/configs are GPLv2, and ranges are already in the form of ModuleManager patches (not even the original part CFGs) I think it's fine.

iVG, asmi, re: paging. All you need to do, I think, is replace the existing heightmap PQSMod with one that pages the heightmap; it keeps a static cache, into which is read texture data (to avoid Unity/KSP garbage collection BS you'd have to overwrite rather than delete and (C#-version-of)malloc), and if a texture page is out of cache you read it and kick something. I'm sure your (asmi's) is way more cool and complex, but it should totally be doable. That's just for height data; dunno how to deal with normal maps. You'd need to write a custom shader, probably, but Unity uses Cg, so that shouldn't be too bad.

Regardless, 3.5 GB is close to the red line...

iVG, are you on Windows? Have you disabled all the parts you don't use? I have tons of mods, but disabled a lot of parts, it is now under 3.0GB.

@Nathan

Those MM cfgs you posted a while ago with rebalanced values for batteries and solar panels, are behaving weirdly here. For instance, for the stock batteries, the mass changes are applied, but the electric charge amount isn't ?!?! Same with RTGs rate... I'm scratching my head here, log shows they are being config'ed only once by MM.

iVG, are you on Windows? Have you disabled all the parts you don't use? I have tons of mods, but disabled a lot of parts, it is now under 3.0GB.

Well, there are some parts here and there, 10 or 20 but not more. However I have a tonne of engines :D I can't scrap them - NO! NEED MOAR BOOSTAS

BTW, asmi, that RD-0120 is SO AMAZING. I don't get it how this is not being used at the moment.

SFJackBauer: Aw, crappitycrap. I forgot some @s.

Sorry.

Fixed the archive. Please regrab. It also includes a fix to the 4m heatshield (asmi noticed the 2.5, and the 4m in this archive which is a clone of it, had no breakingForce and breakingTorque).

iVG, asmi, re: paging. All you need to do, I think, is replace the existing heightmap PQSMod with one that pages the heightmap; it keeps a static cache, into which is read texture data (to avoid Unity/KSP garbage collection BS you'd have to overwrite rather than delete and (C#-version-of)malloc), and if a texture page is out of cache you read it and kick something. I'm sure your (asmi's) is way more cool and complex, but it should totally be doable. That's just for height data; dunno how to deal with normal maps. You'd need to write a custom shader, probably, but Unity uses Cg, so that shouldn't be too bad.

I've got an idea on how to go about that. Let's meet in GTalk sometime and discuss it.

I've got an idea on how to go about that. Let's meet in GTalk sometime and discuss it.

I've got custom cg shaders covered, if you want my shader and material management plugin. I was planning to release it with the Kerbin Mini Shuttle, but it can come out early. I've also got ideas relating to the details of how to implementing paging for this, but I don't have the time to implement them myself. Some of the things you need to implement for this to work, including manipulating the second PQS UV channel, would also solve the texture precision problem mentioned previously and thus allow higher texel density for detail mapping.

Made an interplanetary probe and landed on Deimos/Gilly, which was super hard since its SoI is only above its surface in a few places. Nice view from here.

0WuHMAU.png

There's a bug with Deimos/Gilly's rotation, it's the same as Phobos/Bop's even though it should be tidally locked. Also like someone else said the two moons' orbits have the same inclination with respect to Mars/Duna but way different longitude of ascending node.

Does this mod and City Lights and Clouds play well together?

Yes, you'll need to increase the values in the common.cfg file for clouds to work from the surface correctly. For Kerbin it seems OK at 1200, Eve is annoying, I have it at 1500 IIRC and it works ok. Jool is fine as it is, though I guess you can increase that as well. I haven't checked the other planets.

I think the best idea for a Moon mission now is probably earth-orbit rendezvous. I'm gonna do that for my first Moon mission, because of a)part count, sorta B) wobbly saturn v c) easier. For me, at least, and I'm basing it off ideas the British Interplanetary Society and NASA had.

Here. Let's release this test of my real life textures. All textures are by random people from Google, rings are by this guy, and Universe Replacer and City Lights and Clouds are both required.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Download!

If anyone has any suggestions, better textures, changes, fixes, complaints about the Moon facing the wrong way, or anything else (except stuff about Saturn's rings, unless you made new ones), please PM me.

Here. Let's release this test of my real life textures. All textures are by random people from Google, rings are by this guy, and Universe Replacer and City Lights and Clouds are both required.
Javascript is disabled. View full album

Download!

If anyone has any suggestions, better textures, changes, fixes, complaints about the Moon facing the wrong way, or anything else (except stuff about Saturn's rings, unless you made new ones), please PM me.

OMG ... that looks gorgeous :D