Dramatic alarms

There are a few I like on that (especialy if it could be configurable).

- radar altitude

- low resource

I agree. I'd just stick to these, but I really, REALLY like the idead behind both.

I'd use either 500m or 1,000m for the altitude alarm.

I'd only have one for fuel (not RCS or anything else), and I'd set the threshold at 10% remaining.

Neither of them I'd have too loud or "alarming". Maybe a "beep, beep, beep" repeating for altitude and the same for fuel, but different pitch to differentiate between them.

Alarm shuts off if your velocity is zero or positive in the direction away from the ground.

Maybe if you approach the surface at more than 30 m/s at under 500m radar altitude it could work. No nuclear alarm type alarms though. At high volumes it could give people a heart attack! Maybe when engines are close to exploding due to overheating or when fuel is low during landing too.

I have on multiple occasions imagined the master alarm sound from apollo 13, when an engine shears off. Thumbs up.

They do plan to have voices in game, so I would me nice to have a radar range count down. Atm you have to be in the IVA to see it...

I'd only have one for fuel (not RCS or anything else), and I'd set the threshold at 10% remaining.

Altitude alarms could be cool especially for when doing sub orbital hops on smaller moons, Jeb almost had a collision with a mountain when searching for the Kraken on Bop, but about the 10% fuel alarm.

10% of what? The total fuel in the ship? The total fuel in the stage? If it were fuel in the ship most of our smaller craft would have the alarms going all the time due to the high amount of fuel on launch. If it's stage we're going to be hearing that alarm while launching, especially if you're launching an asparagus stage.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Adding *****ing Betty to the command pods?

Hell yeah.

EDIT: Err. Seems this forum even censors the URL. (word for female dog)ing Betty. Google it.

EDIT EDIT: Created a redirect. The above URL should now work, so long as the Wikifiddlers don't revert my page creation.

Edited by technicalfool

• 1 year later...

Just for an idea of what it would be like, you can try out BD's awesome cockpit. It has one of the best IVAs I have ever seen. All the little switches work!

It has got altitude callouts and alarms. 

Edited by worir4

43 minutes ago, worir4 said:

Just for an idea of what it would be like, you can try out BD's awesome cockpit. It has one of the best IVAs I have ever seen. All the little switches work!

It has got altitude callouts and alarms. 

Do the alarms only work in IVA mode?

• 4 months later...
On 29/01/2016 at 5:25 PM, pandaman said:

Yes, I like the idea of this.  altitude us the obvious one, but low fuel, electricity etc are all the kind of things that RL pilots would get warnings for anyway.

Bingo. Fuel. Bingo. Fuel. Bingo. Fuel. Bingo. Fuel. Bingo. Fuel. Bingo. Fuel. Bingo. Fuel. Bingo. Fuel. Bingo. Fuel. Bingo. Fuel. Bingo. Fuel. Bingo. Fuel. Bingo. Fuel. Bingo. Fuel. Bingo. Fuel. Bing-

"Shut the hell up!" *Turns off alarm*

• 2 weeks later...

The game has a lot of alarms already, albeit visual ones, including some you might not be aware of, like the vertical speed alarm.  Observe the red light beside the vertical velocity indicator.

They tried to add an "overheat" sound early in the game, but took it straight back out because it was pretty much on all the time XD

It might be more useful now.  How I envision it, a single warning "beep" when a part begins to heat up (i.e. when its thermometer bar would appear).  Above 50%, a steady slow beep with pitch determined by temperature, above 80% a pulsing alarm.  There'd only be one alarm, not one for each part, with the worst overheating overriding the others.

Other useful auditory notifications might be the traditional airplane seatbelt "bing" when you've slowed down from re-entry to the point it's safe to deploy your parachute.

You could install a radar as an "optional part" which would click slower and faster depending on how far you were from the ground.

Edited by Corona688

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.