Dramatic alarms

Think of dramatic flavor that various alarms woudl give to your missions, especially landings.

Your radar altitude is below 100m, proximity warning turns on. You hear beeper and if you are IVA, alarm light goes on. Moment later - your fuel is only 10%, another alarm turns on, you hear siren. Lander is not properly aligned, pitch is to high! Another alarm. Landing was a little rough, we ripped one landing strut. Structural integrity lost!

Another alarms i can think of:

- Stability lost - when during locket lunch, below certain altitude our yaw/pitch is higher than 30'

- Altitude to high for jet engines

- Imminent impact - radar altitude/speed ratio is to high

- Low power - batteries beloe 10%

- Entering atmosphere - when atmosphere is starting to give you drag

Untl it gets implemented (if ever) someone shoudl make mod for this.

Great idea! I'll try to make a few funny alarms that are as kerbal as I can create.

I was thinking something like this (when lower than 1000m, and vertical speed is higher than -50m/s): http://soundjax.com/scream-1.html (first wav, looped)

If someone is able to create a plugin that loops the wavs when certain requirements are met (like altitude, pitch, vert. speed, engine flameout, low air intake, low fuel, changing part count when not staging, etc), this mod would be more than halfway done.

When I've finished lunch with my daughter, I'll start editing.

EDIT: I predict that if the mod will be like it looks and sounds in my head, it will get very popular very quick, easy maintainable every update, small RAM footprint, and become stock very fast.

Edited by MennoLente

I came up with idea for few mmore alarms:

- Engine overheating (kinda obvious)

- Dangerous G-force (even if our kerbals are indestructable in this aspect)

- Wrong reentry angle (for deadly reentry mmod)

- Hull temperature to high - when we are closing to the sun)

We need to consider how long shoudl alarm sound play. Lets say this altitude alarm. Until we land or manually turn it with some key, or just for lets say 10 seconds?

Or, a better method is if the change in height per second is too high. ie: if you have less than 5 seconds to impact based on your current velocity?

Each kind of alarm needs to be properly preconfigured -- for example, a radar altitude warning would only be set off if you're hurtling towards the ground at a dangerous speed. It would need to take into account available thrust, the gravity of the object you're headed towards, and have a variety of thresholds according to these variables in order to be as intuitive as possible.

I love the idea, though.

We need this, desperately. :)

That, and Kerbals fighting and panicking in the capsule. ^^

SO thats for this stupidity and courage stats are for! Cowardly kerbonauts will just panick more and stupid ones will fight each other :)

I like! I also would like an alarm that sounds when your stack starts to encounter dangerous resonant oscillations. I think that in real life they have sensors for this and they cut engines based on it. I would just like to have the experience where an unstable build starts to oscillate and in the period prior to breaking up, alarms are going off.

Other options might be:

low power: remember 'Main Bus B Undervolt' from Apollo 13.

too high pitch/roll/yaw rate (similar to stability loss above, but I'm thinking also in a vaccuum) - so when you are spinning out of control (e.g. after an explosion) an alarm sounds.

Damage to parts. Like if a strut breaks, there could be a 'Master Alarm' that goes off that you have to press to deactivate. I always like that Master Alarm switch that they have to press in spacecraft:)

There's a mod that partially implemented some of these, but it was tied to the spaceplane landing gear and used some library sound files that I think the creator got from a Microsoft Flight Simulator modding resource site. It'd got as far as altitude and sink rate warnings and he was looking into FAR integration but I haven't seen it updated recently.

There's a mod that partially implemented some of these, but it was tied to the spaceplane landing gear and used some library sound files that I think the creator got from a Microsoft Flight Simulator modding resource site. It'd got as far as altitude and sink rate warnings and he was looking into FAR integration but I haven't seen it updated recently.

Steam gauges mod has "pull up" warning, for flying planes.

The very earliest 2D versions of the game had an audible alarm when your fuel was low. When Squad did a play through of every version on the anniversary 24hr livestream, it seemed like a really atmospheric feature and I'd love it if they brought it back. You'd need a cancel button to shut off each alarm, once you were cool with it though.

Just came up with another idea related to sound alarms/warnings, how about sound altimeter? It constantly beeps, but lower we descent, higher frequency of beeps become.

No! That's annoying. I can already picture it. And great to the thread author. Great idea!

Good idea!

A cool thing would be to be able to silent the alarm for the emergency:you won't hear the alarm anymore but if you survive the emergency and get involved in another emergency,the alarm should goes off.

Just in case you don't want to hear the alarm for a long time when you are running low on fuel or loose stability when you know that you can survive!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.