[1.8.x-1.12.x] Module Manager 4.2.3 (July 03th 2023) - Fireworks season

sarbian

Hey, can someone help me on this mod? I want to install Ferram Aerospace Research addon but I have no idea how to use this mod to install that. The only info I have on installing this mod is: "How to install

You just have to put the dll in your KSP/GameData folder. Then you can put you patch .cfg file anywhere. I would create a folder for your personal patch, but it's up to you.

As mentioned earlier you can have multiple version of it. But you can clean up too " - What is the "patch", I've only got a .dll file on the first link (which I placed inside my Data folder) and another dll. file with a readme file on the second link (which I placed in a folder), I have no idea what to do now, I don't even know if this is working or not.

On the FAR addon installation guide, the only thing I got is this: "Install by merging the GameData folder in the zip with the GameData folder in your KSP installMultiple copies of ModuleManager will cause issues; make sure you are using MM 2.0.5 or higher

ModuleManager is REQUIRED for FAR to work properly. Failing to copy this over will result in strange errors."

- Which doesn't seem to explain me anything as well, not even how to make this work with ModuleManager. I new to this game, so if someone could just give me a small help I might understand this, I see there's a lot of coding as well, but I don't know what's that for also.

What is the "patch"

A patch is a file written for ModuleMananager to read and act on, such as those provided by FAR to apply FARs changes (or patches) to parts easily. This includes zeroing stock aerodynamic properties and adding on FARs own custom drag and lift model etc. ModuleManager doesn't come with any patches, it's up to mod authors (and you, if you're feeling brave) to write some. Rest assured though - if anything is written incorrectly in these, nothing bad will happen, just that the intended patch will not occur. Any mod that makes use of ModuleManager to apply patches will also include ModuleManager itself as well (such as FAR). The only trouble comes when you have multiple copies of it - if you do, you can delete all but that highest version numbered one.

As for installation, you don't need both copies of the ModuleManager dll, just one is fine and it can be anywhere in Gamedata - either in a folder by itself or not. KSP will see it and load it all the same. Same with the patches themselves (they're always .cfg files) - they can be anywhere, but sarbian recommends you put personal patches in a personal folder of your own in Gamedata to keep track of them easily.

As for the coding (I presume you mean the text in the .cfg file), that's just telling ModuleManager what patches to apply to parts. If you look at a couple of them and then at the parts they target, you'll soon understand them and what they're telling ModuleManager to do, even if you can't write them yourself.

You can tell if ModuleManager is working by looking at the loading screen - it will show you how many patches it's applied.

Let me know if you don't understand any of this, I'll try and explain it clearer.

Yeah, thanks mate, you did make my mind clearer now, but I'm not sure if I understood everything lol.

So like for FAR, I've already download it and it came with a few folders and files. All of these files have the .cfg extension, but I don't know what to do with those. For installing it do I have to overwrite the Default Squad files inside my GameData, or do I just copy the FAR folder (with it's own Plugins and Textures folders and .cfg files) to my GameData and it's done? (oh, btw, my ModuleManager.2.5.1.dll was in the KSP_Data folder, not the GameData lol, I'll move it to GameData and try it out now).

Oh, and I'll delete the ModuleManager that came inside FAR/GameData folder, it's the same version as the one I already have, so I don't think I'll need it.

Btw, if I download new parts, like "B9 Aerospace", is there a way to make them to work with FAR by editing the .cfg files and putting values to them?

I do have a few more questions about addons, but it doesn't come directly to this Subject, so I might just wait and try getting this to work first. Thanks for the help! :D

Edited by Arch3rAc3
Fixing sentences

You shouldn't overwrite anything – Module Manager will modify the SQUAD parts as it's loading them without overwriting anything.

You only need the one copy of Module Manager, so deleting old copies is almost always a good idea. And you're right that it (along with most other mods) belongs in GameData. This post has general installation instructions.

B9 comes with it's own FAR configs, so it will work automatically. In fact, it officially requires FAR or NEAR.

So like for FAR, I've already download it and it came with a few folders and files. All of these files have the .cfg extension, but I don't know what to do with those. For installing it do I have to overwrite the Default Squad files inside my GameData, or do I just copy the FAR folder (with it's own Plugins and Textures folders and .cfg files) to my GameData and it's done?

Pretty much the second. You should end up with Gamedata/FerramAerospaceResearch/Plugins and Gamedata/FerramAerospaceResearch/Textures etc. The .cfg (or config) files should remain inside the FerramAerospaceResearch folder.

Unless you 100% know what you're doing, you should never overwrite the stock Squad/NASAmission folders. Those are stock files and should be left alone unless, as I said, you know what you're doing.

(oh, btw, my ModuleManager.2.5.1.dll was in the KSP_Data folder, not the GameData lol, I'll move it to GameData and try it out now).

Good move. It won't be loaded otherwise.

Oh, and I'll delete the ModuleManager that came inside FAR/GameData folder, it's the same version as the one I already have, so I don't think I'll need it.

You can do - it's entirely up to you. This is what sarbian meant by "you can have multiple version of it. But you can clean up too". IIRC, early 2.X.X versions didn't detect other MM dlls so they might break things, but if you have two 2.5.1s, there's no harm in either deleting one or keeping both. Personally, I just keep the latest one, it saves on headaches later.

Btw, if I download new parts, like "B9 Aerospace", is there a way to make them to work with FAR by editing the .cfg files and putting values to them?

B9 should already provide FAR support and its relevant patches by default so you don't need to do anything apart from copy across all contents of the B9 Gamedata folder to your KSP Gamedata, just like you should do with any other mod.

Most mods do come with installation instructions. That should always be the first thing you check, and what you follow. In particular, FAR tells you to "merge the GameData folder in the zip with the GameData folder in your KSP install", i.e. make sure all the stuff inside the GameData folder in your FAR zip file ends up in (your KSP folder)/GameData/

Hello there,

I maybe missunderstand something.

I have created my mod folder some custom parts too. They all working.

When I tried to add a config file to use in modulmanager (KPS 0.25, Modmanager 2.5.1.)

The @PART not seem to working correctly

The config file:

@PART [adapterSmallMiniTall]

{

module

{

name = KASModuleContainer

maxSize = 120

maxOpenDistance = 2

}

}

It adds this module to every part in the game.

Please help me with that. What am I missing?

Thank you in advance

Richard

Alright, thanks, mate. FAR is working nicely, it's so hard and awesome at the same time, I might waste some time reading everything.

Btw, this doesn't come directly to the thread, and this comment might be even deleted, but anyway... Do you know if B9 works on career mode together with the "Tree Loader - Custom career tech-tree loader addon" (http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/53192-0-23-5-TreeLoader-Custom-Career-Tech-tree-Loader-1-1-5)? If not, do you know how can I place the parts inside the tech tree and add other parts (from other mods) to work with FAR?

Edited by Arch3rAc3

Should do (I know Manleys Quest uses those with no problems), but TreeLoader's broken anyway. Unless a custom tree deletes stock nodes, any mod that uses the stock nodes should be available.

Getting parts to work with FAR is something FAR or the mod author needs to do, not you. That said, most of the time, they all Just Work (FAR reads I think the collision mesh or visual mesh or something and, together with some basic assumptions about the part, does things automatically. Ferram recently made a breakthrough with wings which means they don't need custom configs any more, which would be nice.

Alright, do you know a good mod where I might be able to change my TechTree? I wanna make it more realistic, but there seems to be dozen of mods that change the tree, making things even harder.

About FAR, that's seriously awesome, I'll try downloading some more parts later and testing it.

Hi there. I'm running ModuleManager 2.5.1 on KSP Linux, and I'm getting a weird thing during game loading. Module manager is happily doing its thing, loading up my possibly excessive collection of mods. It runs through the whole GameData folder structure once, then during a second pass (or after the second pass, it's tricky to tell), it starts processing ModuleManager : LEGACY and there's a duplication of the Modules Processed display, like this:

ModuleManagerDuplication.png

Doesn't seem to have any effect on the game that I can tell.

Hi there. I'm running ModuleManager 2.5.1 on KSP Linux, and I'm getting a weird thing during game loading. Module manager is happily doing its thing, loading up my possibly excessive collection of mods. It runs through the whole GameData folder structure once, then during a second pass (or after the second pass, it's tricky to tell), it starts processing ModuleManager : LEGACY and there's a duplication of the Modules Processed display, like this:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10499401/ModuleManagerDuplication.png

Doesn't seem to have any effect on the game that I can tell.

Check and make sure you just have 1 ModuleManager *.*.*

EDIT- That happens when you have more then 1 installed.

Check and make sure you just have 1 ModuleManager *.*.*

EDIT- That happens when you have more then 1 installed.

Ah, found it. Coherent Contracts was the culprit, they include an old ModuleManager in their directory. Thanks for the confirmation that that's what I was looking for.

Hi all,

MM is all of a sudden causing a CTD in the 64bit version on Windows 7. I've opened and loaded the game several times, then during loading of the spaceport it just randomly started crashing. Yes I know 64bit is unstable but am wondering if its something simple that can be fixed. I have several mods installed and have determined its MM through a painful process of elimination. As far as I know, the only 2 mods I have that require it are TweakScale and TAC Life Support. I have no idea what I'm looking at in the error report so I've uploaded it from my KSP folder and am wondering if anyone can advise me on it. Thank you for your time and constructive responses only please.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B3lNaoMWSxYYbF9aS2hqRHozSXM&usp=drive_web

Hi all,

MM is all of a sudden causing a CTD in the 64bit version on Windows 7. I've opened and loaded the game several times, then during loading of the spaceport it just randomly started crashing. Yes I know 64bit is unstable but am wondering if its something simple that can be fixed. I have several mods installed and have determined its MM through a painful process of elimination. As far as I know, the only 2 mods I have that require it are TweakScale and TAC Life Support. I have no idea what I'm looking at in the error report so I've uploaded it from my KSP folder and am wondering if anyone can advise me on it. Thank you for your time and constructive responses only please.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B3lNaoMWSxYYbF9aS2hqRHozSXM&usp=drive_web

It's not just unstable, it's unsupported. There is literally nothing that can be done from a modder's perspective to correct it nor much that can be given in the way of advice. It's not even Squad's fault (though some argue that they shouldn't have released 64 bit version in the first place), it's a Unity's problem.

Supposedly running 64 bit in OpenGL mode is more stable and that's the first and only bit of advice I have on the subject.

Hi! I'm trying to write a patch that will convert all tanks in game with Liquid Fuel and Oxidizer to a modular fuel tank. The forumla i'm going off of will be from the Stock-a-like Real Fuels patch where he said he follows [ (Amount of Oxidizer + Liquid Fuel) x 5 = Liters of Modular Fuel Tank ]

For example, part has 400 lq fuel, 600 ox, therefore total is 1000, so modular fuel tank conversion will give tank of 5000 liters

I have this drafted up so far (WIP) but I imagine someone can make something way better:

@PART[*]:NEEDS[RealFuels]:HAS[@MODULE[RESOURCE]]:HAS[@RESOURCE[LiquidFuel]]:HAS[@RESOURCE[Oxidizer]]:AFTER[RealFuels]
{
MODULE
{
name = ModuleFuelTanks
volume = (what goes here? I know I can somehow implement the MATH functions to give me my volume, I just don't know the code well enough to do that yet)
type = Default
}

!RESOURCE[LiquidFuel]
!RESOURCE[Oxidizer]
}

I'm not just looking to make a direct change from Liquid Fuel to Kerosene and so forth as different engines need different ratios so I'm looking to basically turn all tanks with Liq. Fuel and Ox. to a modular tank.

Any help will be appreciated! :D

Edited by Sippyfrog

I asked a question of DMagic regarding some ModuleManager patches in his Orbital Science pack, and NathanKell's answer was helpful but raised more questions in my mind.

Reading the ModuleManager Syntax documentation page again, I see that the Replace operator's behavior is explained in full detail at the very bottom of the page, but I'd never read that far because I figured that the "Replace" operator does exactly what it sounds like (I have added links from the list of operators to their sections, to make it clear that there is more to their behavior than the name suggests). Is there a reason that it only does the delete-and-create operation on key-value pairs and not on nodes?