[1.8.x-1.12.x] Module Manager 4.2.3 (July 03th 2023) - Fireworks season

sarbian

Hi @sarbian

I have some questions for you regarding my 1.3.1. modded install (the log is in the link for you).

First though, my (fabulous) potato system:

Intel Core 2 Duo i5-3320M CPU @ 2.60 GHz

8 GB RAM

Intel HD Graphics 4000

Win 7 64 bit

KSP 1.3.1 64 bit

Here are some of the specifics that I get in my output log:

Spoiler

1) "  (Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 42)

Texture load error in 'C:\Users\MASTER USER\Desktop\KSP 1.3.1 Modded - Trimmed for Jool 5\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\KSO\Spaces\internalsuper25\blank0.dds'  "

(Module Manager specific below:)

2) "  [ModuleManager] Error - more than one pass specifier on a node: KSO/Configs/kso_ker_mm_0.1.0/@PART[avionicskso]:FOR[KSO]:AFTER[KSO|KerbalEngineer]

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 42)

[ModuleManager] Error - more than one pass specifier on a node: KSO/Configs/kso_ker_mm_0.1.0/@PART[super25nosekso]:FOR[KSO]:AFTER[KSO|KerbalEngineer]

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 42)

[ModuleManager] Error - more than one pass specifier on a node: KSO/Configs/kso_mechjeb_mm_0.1.0/@PART[avionicskso]:FOR[KSO]:AFTER[KSO|MechJeb2]

[ModuleManager] Error - more than one pass specifier on a node: KSO/Configs/kso_mechjeb_mm_0.1.0/@PART[super25nosekso]:FOR[KSO]:AFTER[KSO|MechJeb2]

[ModuleManager] Error - more than one pass specifier on a node: KSO/Configs/Patches - Super 25/Aero_Caps_with_comments/@PART[super25nosekso]:FOR[z_KSO]:FINAL

[ModuleManager] Error - more than one pass specifier on a node: KSO/Configs/Patches - Super 25/Aero_Lift_with_comments/@PART[super25wingLkso]:FOR[z_KSO]:FINAL

[ModuleManager] Error - more than one pass specifier on a node: KSO/Configs/Patches - Super 25/Aero_Lift_with_comments/@PART[super25wingRkso]:FOR[z_KSO]:FINAL

[ModuleManager] Error - more than one pass specifier on a node: KSO/Configs/Patches - Super 25/Command_with_comments/@PART[KSO25_Cabin]:FOR[z_KSO]:FINAL

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 42)  "

In the output_log, I get this when Module Manager states it's done Patching:

Spoiler

[ModuleManager] Done patching

[ModuleManager] Errors in patch prevents the creation of the cache

[ModuleManager] ModuleManager: 11408 patches applied, found <color=orange>8 errors</color>
2 errors related to GameData/KSO/Configs/kso_ker_mm_0.1.0.cfg
2 errors related to GameData/KSO/Configs/kso_mechjeb_mm_0.1.0.cfg
1 error related to GameData/KSO/Configs/Patches - Super 25/Aero_Caps_with_comments.cfg
2 errors related to GameData/KSO/Configs/Patches - Super 25/Aero_Lift_with_comments.cfg
1 error related to GameData/KSO/Configs/Patches - Super 25/Command_with_comments.cfg

I also have some errors relating to OPM, but they are after MM has run, and if they start causing problems (if I ever get to Slate or some of the other moons) I'll post over in that thread....

So, here is the full log if you like. And here are the configs that MM mentioned in the log.

I am guessing that something in those configs that @Deimos Rast and myself did that needs to be fixed.  Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Please let me know if you require any further info.

Edited by smotheredrun

3 hours ago, smotheredrun said:

Here are some of the specifics that I get in my output log:

Hide contents

1) "  (Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 42)

Texture load error in 'C:\Users\MASTER USER\Desktop\KSP 1.3.1 Modded - Trimmed for Jool 5\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\KSO\Spaces\internalsuper25\blank0.dds'  "

2) "  [ModuleManager] Error - more than one pass specifier on a node: KSO/Configs/kso_ker_mm_0.1.0/@PART[avionicskso]:FOR[KSO]:AFTER[KSO|KerbalEngineer]

[ModuleManager] Error - more than one pass specifier on a node: KSO/Configs/kso_ker_mm_0.1.0/@PART[super25nosekso]:FOR[KSO]:AFTER[KSO|KerbalEngineer]

[ModuleManager] Error - more than one pass specifier on a node: KSO/Configs/kso_mechjeb_mm_0.1.0/@PART[avionicskso]:FOR[KSO]:AFTER[KSO|MechJeb2]

[ModuleManager] Error - more than one pass specifier on a node: KSO/Configs/kso_mechjeb_mm_0.1.0/@PART[super25nosekso]:FOR[KSO]:AFTER[KSO|MechJeb2]

[ModuleManager] Error - more than one pass specifier on a node: KSO/Configs/Patches - Super 25/Aero_Caps_with_comments/@PART[super25nosekso]:FOR[z_KSO]:FINAL

[ModuleManager] Error - more than one pass specifier on a node: KSO/Configs/Patches - Super 25/Aero_Lift_with_comments/@PART[super25wingLkso]:FOR[z_KSO]:FINAL

[ModuleManager] Error - more than one pass specifier on a node: KSO/Configs/Patches - Super 25/Aero_Lift_with_comments/@PART[super25wingRkso]:FOR[z_KSO]:FINAL

[ModuleManager] Error - more than one pass specifier on a node: KSO/Configs/Patches - Super 25/Command_with_comments/@PART[KSO25_Cabin]:FOR[z_KSO]:FINAL

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 42)  "

In the output_log, I get this when Module Manager states it's done Patching:

Reveal hidden contents

[ModuleManager] ModuleManager: 11408 patches applied, found <color=orange>8 errors</color>
1 error related to GameData/KSO/Configs/Patches - Super 25/Aero_Caps_with_comments.cfg
2 errors related to GameData/KSO/Configs/Patches - Super 25/Aero_Lift_with_comments.cfg
1 error related to GameData/KSO/Configs/Patches - Super 25/Command_with_comments.cfg

I also have some errors relating to OPM, but they are after MM has run, and if they start causing problems (if I ever get to Slate or some of the other moons) I'll post over in that thread....

So, here is the full log if you like. And here are the configs that MM mentioned in the log.

I am guessing that something in those configs that @Deimos Rast and myself did that needs to be fixed.  Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

There can only be one pass specifier on each patch.  :FIRST, :BEFORE[], :FOR[], :AFTER[], and :FINAL all specify a pass (i.e. when ModuleManager should run the patch).  Also not the cause of the errors but this will not work: :AFTER[KSO|KerbalEngineer] - it will look for a single mod called KSO|KerbalEngineer and will not find one.

Edited by blowfish

4 hours ago, smotheredrun said:

Hi @sarbian

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

@Deimos Rast

I would suggest rewriting in your patch file something similar to :NEEDS[KerbalEngineer]:AFTER[KSO] or :NEEDS[KSO]:AFTER[KerbalEngineer].

Drop the :FINAL and the :FOR[]

:FOR is normally used by mod authors. Consider not using it, ever. Unless you really need to reference say [z_KOS] with and :AFTER[] in a completely different .cfg file. That is to say that if in the other .cfg you absolutely need to ensure that z_KOS has run first.

If your patch is written badly, it will not be applied and a cache file  will not be generated.

Each time modulemanager works correctly, ie no errors in patches, it creates a file called ModuleManager.ConfigCache in your GameData folder.

Try making a copy and deleting the file. Then run KSP and if you have errors in patches, no new ModuleManager.ConfigCache will be made.

KSP is a little odd that one error in one mod can cause other errors in other mods. Sometimes it is tricky to find the first error.

My theory is, squash all the bugs lol.

I have not bothered to download and read the files you kindly linked. I am just commenting on what is written here.

I am also assuming that it is you that is writing the patch that has the above mentioned errors.

8 hours ago, smotheredrun said:

@blowfish and @Apaseall

So what is the actual result of the syntax errors?  Are they causing problems with or breaking anything?  I'm just wondering if these errors will cause issues when using the shuttles (FPS drops or crashes or something?)....

Patches not applying, or applying incorrectly is most likely.

With the exception of the :FOR.  That causes *other* mods to have errors, where patches were intended to be a skipped (and may not work) are now being applied.  It may even cause them to disable functionality that they would have otherwise had.

36 minutes ago, DStaal said:

Patches not applying, or applying incorrectly is most likely.

With the exception of the :FOR.  That causes *other* mods to have errors, where patches were intended to be a skipped (and may not work) are now being applied.  It may even cause them to disable functionality that they would have otherwise had.

Ah!  Thanks.  These patches were done back in KSP 1.2.2, and all I did was write explanations and test for Deimos Rast and Nazari.  I'll go through them in the next day or so (if my gig ends early because playoffs! !!) and see if I can fix them up.

Thanks guys, I'll be back if I have more questions or if I break something :)

I have this patch (works fine) to add some resources...

@PART...:NEEDS[xxx]

RESOURCE
    {
        name = Resource
        amount = xxx
        maxAmount = xxx
    }

Now I want to multiply that resource by something when a certain mod is detected. 

@RESOURCE[ResourceX]:NEEDS[ThisOtherMod]
{
    @amount *= 4
    @maxAmount *= 4
}

I can add another @PART... after this one, but is there a way to chec for the mod in the same line as the mulitplication (some sort of CASE function) ?

RESOURCE
    {
        name = Resource
        amount = xxx
        maxAmount = xxx
        @amount[ThisOtherMod] *= 4
        AmaxAmount....
    }

Edited by Jimbodiah

40 minutes ago, Jimbodiah said:

I have this patch (works fine) to add some resources...

Now I want to multiply that resource by something when a certain mod is detected. 

I can add another @PART... after this one, but is there a way to chec for the mod in the same line as the mulitplication (some sort of CASE function) ?

Value modifiers accept :NEEDS

@amount:NEEDS[ThisOtherMod] *= 4

@blowfish, @DStaal, @Apaseall :

Ok, so if I have understood correctly, the proper syntax in the MM patch for a part named "ksoavionics" and another one named "super25nosekso" to have kerbal engineer functionality (at least that's what I understand this patch is for) should read as follows:

Spoiler

@PART[avionicskso]:NEEDS[KerbalEngineer]:AFTER[KSO]
{
    MODULE
    {
    name = FlightEngineerModule
    }
}

@PART[super25nosekso]:NEEDS[KerbalEngineer]:AFTER[KSO]
{
    MODULE
    {
    }
}

If that is the correct writing, I'll start whacking the bugs.  Thanks in advance people!

6 hours ago, smotheredrun said:

@blowfish, @DStaal, @Apaseall :

Ok, so if I have understood correctly, the proper syntax in the MM patch for a part named "ksoavionics" and another one named "super25nosekso" to have kerbal engineer functionality (at least that's what I understand this patch is for) should read as follows:

Hide contents

@PART[avionicskso]:NEEDS[KerbalEngineer]:AFTER[KSO]
{
    MODULE
    {
    }
}

@PART[super25nosekso]:NEEDS[KerbalEngineer]:AFTER[KSO]
{
    MODULE
    {
    }
}

If that is the correct writing, I'll start whacking the bugs.  Thanks in advance people!

That looks about right.

Personally I write stuff like :NEEDS[KerbalEngineer&KSO]:AFTER[KSO]

I do that because I am stating that I need both mods and then do this think to it after one of them.

However bear in mind that mods are processed in alphabetical order.

This has relevance when you name your mm patch. For example I name mine something like 'modname_doesthisthing' i.e. DSEV_TweakScale. I put all my MMs in one folder, my_MM.

What does that mean? well it means that I have to explicitly tell the patch I write, inside the patch itself, exactly when to run.

For example my patch might get loaded before any of the mod it works on are loaded. So I put all mod names in my :NEEDS[].

As for when it runs, that is what the :AFTER[] is for. Or at least that is how is tell my patches when to run, unless I am using a variable, but that is not within the scope of this reply.

Since KSO comes after KerbalEngineer alphabetically, running after KSO should do the trick, whereas if you had written :AFTER[KerbalEngineer] things may not work as expected.

Hope this helps and if anyone spots something that I am doing or advising to do as being incorrect, I am more than happy to learn.

My only comment is that I suspect you don't need the 'AFTER' at all - the parts are loaded before the MM run I believe, and unless there's something that would interfere with adding that module I'd personally leave it out.  On the other hand, even if it's not needed I don't think it'll hurt - it'd just make MM work a bit more.

7 minutes ago, DStaal said:

My only comment is that I suspect you don't need the 'AFTER' at all - the parts are loaded before the MM run I believe, and unless there's something that would interfere with adding that module I'd personally leave it out.  On the other hand, even if it's not needed I don't think it'll hurt - it'd just make MM work a bit more.

I am not certain about when the parts are loaded. With the :AFTER[] I am more concerned with the modules of the parts, the internals. I would rather explicitly command a patch to run at a certain point rather than rely on implicit ordering. I guess it might be one of those areas where the same thing can happen if you do or don't write a bit of code. Sometimes working out if you really need to write one thing or the other thing when both get you to the same point can be rather bothersome. I took the plunge and said to myself, 'hey if in doubt, tell it, rather than let it work it out for itself'. As you say probably no harm done, a little more work for the processor. But that work takes place once, before the game really gets going, by which point the results are in the cache right?

And I'm of the 'never add code you don't know you need' school of thought.  :wink: 

But yep, there are good arguments either way.  (Though I will mention on your cache statement - for those of us with a lot of mods, it can be rare that we load an unmodified gamedata - just updates to existing mods can be enough that every time you have a chance to start KSP there's more new updates.)

@blowfish, @Apaseall, @DStaal

A more specific question:

As an example, one specific patch referenced in the MM errors is called "Aero_Caps_with_Comments.cfg"  This patch is to make some corrections to some drag values and reinstate the original part descriptions.  The descriptions were removed when @Deimos Rast was having some of us test the mod - he'd added some of his own notes regarding what he still needed to work on.

So.... the "correction patch" is written out this way:

@PART[super25nosekso]:NEEDS[KSO]:FOR[z_KSO]:FINAL
{
          patchy stuff

}

The other 2 offending patches have the same format.  So my question is, if we want MM to run this patch after any other KSO patch (there are a good number), should it be written out as follows:

@PART[super25nosekso]:NEEDS[KSO]:AFTER[z_KSO]:FINAL
{
          patchy stuff

}

I'm going to test it now with this change, but if there is a better or proper way to do this I'm all ears!

Thanks all!

EDIT 2:

Writing this: " @PART[super25nosekso]:NEEDS[KSO]:FOR[z_KSO] " there are no errors!!  That I can see....

Edited by smotheredrun
changed wording of how corrected syntax "may" look by removing :FOR and adding :AFTER

Looks like you have two, probably valid, choices.  Let's examine.

@PART[super25nosekso]:NEEDS[KSO]:FOR[z_KSO]

Should work fine.  *Creates* the mod 'z_KSO' and applies this patch during it.

@PART[super25nosekso]:NEEDS[KSO]:AFTER[z_KSO]

Again, valid - assuming 'z_KSO' exists.  This runs the patch *after* z_KSO.  So if these two were both in the same file, this one would run after the previous one.

Another option that you might consider:

@PART[super25nosekso]:NEEDS[KSO]:AFTER[KSO]

This would run it *before* either of the two choices above (since mods are done in alphabetical order), but it would run *after* the KSO mod's own patches.  If the point of the 'z_KSO' is to run after KSO, than this should work.  (Assuming the patches in KSO aren't using ordering of their own.)

6 minutes ago, DStaal said:

This would run it *before* either of the two choices above (since mods are done in alphabetical order), but it would run *after* the KSO mod's own patches.  If the point of the 'z_KSO' is to run after KSO, than this should work.  (Assuming the patches in KSO aren't using ordering of their own.)

Alright, I think that is what happens..  I haven't seen anything in the other patches for KSO that do any ordering.  They add functionality for kerbalism, snacks, etc...

Edited by smotheredrun

54 minutes ago, Electrocutor said:

Is there a way to check if a named root node exists, then create it if not?

i.e.

%VARIANTTHEME[Metal] {
	%name = Metal
}

Not currently supported for root nodes, no.  There end up being some weird implications for e.g. how parts find models if you allow stuff like that.