[1.8.x-1.12.x] Module Manager 4.2.3 (July 03th 2023) - Fireworks season

sarbian

5 minutes ago, razark said:

Why are people so opposed to the cat?  I could understand if it was showing up during the game, but it's just on the loading screen.

I dunno. It's temporary, and after November 1st it's gone unless one decides to keep it.

My guess some people are bored and have nothing better to do than COMPLAIN.

12 minutes ago, razark said:

Why are people so opposed to the cat?  I could understand if it was showing up during the game, but it's just on the loading screen.

Meh, it's a matter of taste.

Personally, I happen to really not like the cat.  It's like fingernails on a blackboard to me, even given that it's just on the loading screen.  (Of course, the fact that I'm a modder and need to restart KSP a lot may have something to do with it...)

However, I cheerfully don't complain about it, for a couple of reasons.

For one thing, I know it's only temporary.  I've been playing KSP for a long time, I will be playing it for a long time to come, and I know that the nyan-cat is only there until November 1.  That's not very long, in the greater scheme of things, so what the heck.  Who am I to complain?

More importantly, though:  I'm fine with it because sarbian wanted to.  I think he's been frickin' awesome to keep putting in all the hard, unpaid work to maintain ModuleManager (and thereby single-handedly doing more than perhaps any other individual to support the modding community), and to keep doing it for so long.  He just now got off a stint as an active KSP dev, which I'm guessing was pretty hard work, and he still managed to keep ModuleManager and MechJeb up to date while doing it.  Seriously, this is one of the good guys, here.

So, if he wants to let off a little steam with a harmless temporary nyan-cat... I think he's earned it.  I will happily hold his hat and cheer him on, regardless of my feelings about the cat itself.

So... try to keep a little perspective, folks?

3 minutes ago, acc said:

I love nyancat. keep the rainbow moving. free nyan! <3

(dare you mods and delete this; it's acually a valid feature related posting)

However Nyan Cat is probably using the old sas version as its wobble a lot under trust. or perhaps the glitchy 1.2 mechjeb.  

I got no problem with the cat, but the music? Them's fightin' words.

Actually I do have one problem with the cat. The source code is RIGHT THERE in the open. Now ANYBODY can add ANYTHING to the loading screen. Star Wars Kid. All Your Base. That frickin' "peanut butter jelly" banana.

Think of the children!

No, I'm not appealing you think of the children. Someone could put "think of the children" on the loading screen!

(I am of course joking in all ways above. Except the first 7 words it's all a joke. I'd actually get a kick out of the PB&J banana dancing during startup)

5 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

I'd actually get a kick out of the PB&J banana dancing during startup

I wouldn't.  For the same reason I don't care about the cat:

Because I'm usually browsing or not at the computer while the loading screen is up.  I rarely even see it.

I have a strange issue, and I'm wondering if anyone has some suggestions about how to diagnose. I'm on MM 2.7.2.

Someone using RealScaleBoosters with the optional Stockalike configs reported a problem, that appears to be 100% reproducible. After the MM patches run, almost all of the parts throw exceptions in the PartCompiler phase. Without the MM patches, they load correctly. The patches are pretty complex, so I can't paste it here, but basically they just rescale the parts, and recalculate fuel capacities, thrust, mass, etc, and possibly change the tech node it's associated with, and a few other things.

Is there a way I can figure out, or at least narrow down what "input string" the following is referring to in each case? This all worked prior to 1.2 and the new MM versions for it. I'm guessing some field somewhere is getting encoded as a string when it should be an integer, or vice versa.

[ERR 10:22:30.258] PartCompiler: Cannot compile part

[LOG 10:22:30.259] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'RealScaleBoosters/Parts/Atlas/RSBtankAtlasCentaur/RSBtankAtlasCentaur'
[ERR 10:22:30.260] PartLoader: Encountered exception during compilation. System.FormatException: Input string was not in the correct format
  at System.Int32.Parse (System.String s) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at PartLoader.ParsePart (.UrlConfig urlConfig, .ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at PartLoader+<CompileParts>c__Iterator62.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

well in my defence, I asked about the cat for two reasons :

a) as Snark said, it's a matter of taste and it was like nails on black board

b) I didn't know it's temporary

knowing that it's temporary I repeat what snark said, I respect sarbian and his way of messing with our brains for his fun (joking) just because he deserves it :D

2 minutes ago, NecroBones said:

Is there a way I can figure out, or at least narrow down what "input string" the following is referring to in each case? This all worked prior to 1.2 and the new MM versions for it. I'm guessing some field somewhere is getting encoded as a string when it should be an integer, or vice versa.

If I read the call stack correctly, it's complaining that it is trying to parse a string that it expects to contain an integer.  I would guess that either the string doesn't have an integer in it (it has text, instead), or it's a non-integer value (I don't know if Int32.Parse will complain about floats).  I don't think there's a way to extract more information from it without editing the patches to remove things until you can identify the culprit (I realize that isn't a simple task).

3 minutes ago, MOARdV said:

If I read the call stack correctly, it's complaining that it is trying to parse a string that it expects to contain an integer.  I would guess that either the string doesn't have an integer in it (it has text, instead), or it's a non-integer value (I don't know if Int32.Parse will complain about floats).  I don't think there's a way to extract more information from it without editing the patches to remove things until you can identify the culprit (I realize that isn't a simple task).

I think Int32.Parse would complain but TryParse won't complain

54 minutes ago, MOARdV said:

Yeah, that's what I'm starting to do now. Just delete things until I find the bad patch. Annoyingly, it would appear that KSP is less fault tolerant with regards to some variable somewhere, or its functionality changed just enough in that place to become problematic. Which field though? Who knows!

EDIT: It's "cost" and "entryCost". Both of those need to be integers now. I had been multiplying against a rescale factor that could have decimal components, and that used to work. Good to know, going forward!

This thread has gone badly off the rails, and was significantly pruned.  Folks, let's all take a deep breath and take a step back for a moment, shall we?

Emotions are running a tad high, but it's possible to extract some objective, factual statements from the foregoing donnybrook:

• ModuleManager is displaying a "nyan-cat" animation upon game load time.
  • It will continue doing so until November 1, when it will stop.
  • As the mod's proprietor, sarbian is within his rights to do this.
  • Lots and lots of people use ModuleManager, so it's unsurprising that there are a wide variety of opinions.
    • Some think it's a funny joke or don't care much.
    • Some don't like it, but are okay with workarounds or just waiting until 11/1.
    • Some really, really hate it and are very unhappy that it's there.
  • For people who don't like it, but want to use ModuleManager, there are several workarounds available.  Some examples:
    • Just grit your teeth and make do until 11/1.
    • Alt-tab away from the loading screen and come back when it's done.
    • Download the ModuleManager source, remove the cat, compile it and use your tweaked version.
  • For people who really can't stand it, and don't feel a strong need to use ModuleManager, or think it's expendable, then of course they're free not to use it, and do whatever else they want (don't patch stuff, or edit configs themselves, or whatever).  It's up to them.

That basically sums up all the objective facts from the pruned posts, with all the emotional baggage and name-calling removed.

So, we're done here.  There really isn't anything else to say about nyan-cat other than some pointless re-hashing of the above.  Let me remind folks that this thread is for talking about the mod itself, not about criticizing other people's opinions.  Let me also state the obvious, but it seems that people can use a reminder:  you're not going to change someone else's opinion or feeling about something.  They feel what they feel.

Okay, opening up the thread now.  Please stay on-topic; nyan-cat complaint/support/etc. has been done.

Further antagonism will be considered flame-baiting and dealt with as such.

Thank you for your understanding.

6 hours ago, riocrokite said:

hehe, people are complaining about nyancat symbol during loading? Let's wait and see how they feel when there's a nyancat music playing during loading :D

/joke

No, an replacement of kerbals with hello kitty :)
As Snarks says an mod author has the divine right of do so in creating the mod. 

Edited by magnemoe

13 hours ago, renejant said:

I got a slight problem with MM version 2.7.1

It seems the game hangs on the loading screen after it has loaded the module manager and then continues to load the parts but then the game is hanging on the Squad parts, namely:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\Squad\Parts\Utility\commsAntennaDTS-M1

When i remove modulemanager 2.7.1, everything loads up normally... So my best guess is that MM has a certain problem with it... Can someone take a look into this or tell me what might be causing it? 

Ofcourse i use ksp 1.2

[LOG 22:36:37.992] PartLoader: Part 'Squad/Parts/Thermal/RadiatorPanels/radPanelSm/radPanelSm' has no database record. Creating.
[LOG 22:36:37.995] DragCubeSystem: Creating drag cubes for part 'radPanelSm'
[LOG 22:36:38.027] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'Squad/Parts/Utility/commDish88-88/commDish88-88/commDish'
[LOG 22:36:38.039] PartLoader: Part 'Squad/Parts/Utility/commDish88-88/commDish88-88/commDish' has no database record. Creating.
[LOG 22:36:38.044] DragCubeSystem: Part 'commDish' has defined a procedural drag cube setup
[LOG 22:36:38.047] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'Squad/Parts/Utility/commsAntennaDTS-M1/commsAntennaDTS-M1/mediumDishAntenna'
[LOG 22:36:38.057] PartLoader: Part 'Squad/Parts/Utility/commsAntennaDTS-M1/commsAntennaDTS-M1/mediumDishAntenna' has no database record. Creating.
[LOG 22:36:38.060] DragCubeSystem: Creating drag cubes for part 'mediumDishAntenna'
[EXC 22:36:38.085] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    ModuleDeployablePart.AssumeDragCubePosition (System.String name)
    DragCubeSystem+.MoveNext ()
    UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine.InvokeMoveNext (IEnumerator enumerator, IntPtr returnValueAddress)

11 hours ago, ThePhoenixSol said:

So. im attempting to completely move around all the parts in the tech tree in my, more or less, first mod. What im curious to know though, is if there is a way for me to rename and maybe even move around the tech nodes.... so for example, rename General Rocketry to Manned Flight.

basically i just want to know how much i can move around with just a config file as far as the tech tree is concerned.

@ThePhoenixSol, this might be a bit late, but here's an example of how to edit and add tech nodes in the tech tree. Note, you need to use HAS[#id[tech tree node id]] to alter tech tree node names.

Spoiler

@TechTree
{
        @RDNode:HAS[#id[basicRocketry]]
    {
        @cost = 10
    }

RDNode
    {
        id = basicHeatManagement
        title = Basic Heat Management
        description = Simple heat radiators to help keep ships from overheating.
        cost = 90
        hideEmpty = False
        nodeName = ct_basicHeatManagement
        anyToUnlock = False
        icon = RDicon_aerodynamics-heavy
        pos = -1723, 380, -1
        scale = 0.6
        Parent
        {
            parentID = basicScience
            lineFrom = RIGHT        
            lineTo = LEFT
        }
    }
}

Edited by Laguna

oookay so i loaded up ksp 1.2 official and got the nyan cat today and at first i was like ....what????

googled it and found out about the authors prank and had a hell of a chuckle im sure hell catch hell but the main reason im posting is

to actually thank the author for his continued support and programming for this mod as it is a time Savior of note.

am also glad that a mod maker had the balls to troll the internet  you go buddy.

as for all those that complain well ...just uninstall the mod its your choice too install it and its for free so lets not look a gift cat in the mouth so to say :>