[1.8.x-1.12.x] Module Manager 4.2.3 (July 03th 2023) - Fireworks season

sarbian

3 hours ago, blowfish said:

Yes, that's a quite complex and there are dozens of higher priorities we haven't gotten to yet.

As a side note, the characters = { and } are not valid for anything MM does because KSP uses them to parse configs before MM is even involved.

I just did a brief scan of the request; it sounds a lot like kOS.

10 hours ago, blowfish said:

Yes, that's a quite complex and there are dozens of higher priorities we haven't gotten to yet.

As a side note, the characters = { and } are not valid for anything MM does because KSP uses them to parse configs before MM is even involved.

This is why the new programming language has its own file format to distinguish it from regular patches.

6 hours ago, TranceaddicT said:

I just did a brief scan of the request; it sounds a lot like kOS.

It's not exactly same as kOS, because it is designed to run on startup (as opposed to kOS in flight) and it shares some syntax with existing patches.

12 hours ago, blowfish said:

Changed curly brackets to |* ... *|

3 hours ago, Monniasza said:

Changed curly brackets to |* ... *|

I'd suggest "<%" and "%>", since those are the digraphs in C and C++ for "{" and "}".  Better to be consistent with an existing standard for a language with similar syntax (even if it's an ugly and little-used part of that standard).  Plus, the angle brackets make it more clear which one belongs on which side.

However, as you said, there's no need to replace those characters anyway if it's a whole new language that doesn't go through KSP's config parser.

However, as others have said, building a whole new scripting language and interpreter is a lot of work.  It's a nice idea, but probably a pie in the sky.

A possible alternative that comes to mind: using Lua scripts instead.  There's already a Lua interpreter for .NET, so it'd just be matter of bringing that in and building an API to expose KSP's config database to Lua code.  Still a pie in the sky, but at least at a lower altitude.

On 6/18/2020 at 2:09 AM, TranceaddicT said:

I'd suggest everyone drop the discussion here.

Open another thread and flesh it out there.  Then, go code it.

Creating new discussion at:

On 6/18/2020 at 2:09 AM, TranceaddicT said:

I'd suggest everyone drop the discussion here.

Open another thread and flesh it out there.  Then, go code it.

Continue here: 

I'm trying to target all Parts with an engine of the type electric

I tried the following:

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleEnginesRF]:HAS[#EngineType[Electric]]]:AFTER[RealismOverhaul]
{
	// do something
}

but it has no effect. Any ideas?

Edited by FreeThinker

2 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

I'm trying to target all Parts with an engine of the type electric

I tried the following:

but it has no effect. Any ideas?

Syntax looks correct to me.  Verify that all the capitalization is correct, whether there are any log messages about the patch, etc.  And make sure you check the result in the ConfigCache rather than in-game - that can help narrow down a lot of issues.

40 minutes ago, blowfish said:

Syntax looks correct to me.  Verify that all the capitalization is correct, whether there are any log messages about the patch, etc.  And make sure you check the result in the ConfigCache rather than in-game - that can help narrow down a lot of issues.

I fixed it by replacing

:AFTER[RealismOverhaul]

by

:FINAL

2 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

I fixed it by replacing

:AFTER[RealismOverhaul]

by

:FINAL

:AFTER[RealismOverhaul] would only run if RealismOverhaul is present.

Please don't ship :FINAL patches with any actual mod.  They should be reserved for one-off fixes in your local install.

25 minutes ago, blowfish said:

:AFTER[RealismOverhaul] would only run if RealismOverhaul is present.

Please don't ship :FINAL patches with any actual mod.  They should be reserved for one-off fixes in your local install.

I rather not use :FINAL but :AFTER[RealismOverhaul]  didn't work despite beeing installed. I can't figure out what else I could use

7 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

I rather not use :FINAL but :AFTER[RealismOverhaul]  didn't work despite beeing installed. I can't figure out what else I could use

I see only two places in RO where this is used

one uses the FOR[RealismOverhaul] pass, so that should be fine

the other uses FOR[RealismOverhaulEngines] so it makes sense why it wouldn't have run yet

How do you represent negative numbers in MM?

I'm trying to multiply a number by a negative value (-0.2807) but I can't get it to go negative; even when II start with:

NegativeA = 1
NegativeA -= 0.2807 //we have to do this repurposed bovine waste to get a negative number

NegativeA = 1
NegativeA -= 0.2807

I have a config that is not working in 1.10 that did work in 1.8. I never tried it in 1.9 as I never played in 1.9.

@EXPERIMENT_DEFINITION[*]:HAS[#id[crewReport]]:FINAL
{
	@baseValue = 8
	@scienceCap = 8
	@biomeMask = 23
}

@EXPERIMENT_DEFINITION[*]:HAS[#id[evaReport]]:FINAL
{
	@baseValue = 5
	@scienceCap = 5
	@biomeMask = 7
}

When I load this in a 1.8 game on ModuleManager 4.1.3 and run a crew report in an alt-f12 cheated orbit I get a crew report that is over a biome. When I run an EVA report it is "in space." This is the desired result of this mod.

When I load this in a 1.10 game on ModuleManager 4.1.3 and run a crew report in an alt-f12 cheated orbit I get the normal, "in space" crew report. EVA reports are biome specific. This is Stock behavior and what I'm trying to change.

Here is my KSP log and Player.log from the 1.10 game. Please let me know if you need anything else.

[defunct site links removed by moderator]

Entire contents of Gamedata (except Squad directory which is stock):

Spoiler
D:\ksp_actualstock\GameData>dir
 Volume in drive D is DATA
 Volume Serial Number is 04DA-B013

Directory of D:\ksp_actualstock\GameData

07/02/2020  10:41 PM    <DIR>          .
07/02/2020  10:41 PM    <DIR>          ..
07/02/2020  10:41 PM    <DIR>          00_Mine
07/02/2020  10:07 PM           141,824 ModuleManager.4.1.3.dll
07/02/2020  10:58 PM         2,274,839 ModuleManager.ConfigCache
07/02/2020  10:58 PM            82,175 ModuleManager.ConfigSHA
07/02/2020  10:58 PM             9,043 ModuleManager.Physics
07/02/2020  10:58 PM            28,994 ModuleManager.TechTree
07/01/2020  09:26 PM    <DIR>          Squad
               5 File(s)      2,536,875 bytes
               4 Dir(s)  404,748,718,080 bytes free

D:\ksp_actualstock\GameData>dir 00_Mine
 Volume in drive D is DATA
 Volume Serial Number is 04DA-B013

Directory of D:\ksp_actualstock\GameData\00_Mine

07/02/2020  10:41 PM    <DIR>          .
07/02/2020  10:41 PM    <DIR>          ..
06/15/2019  06:39 AM               212 crew_eva_swap.cfg
               1 File(s)            212 bytes
               2 Dir(s)  404,748,718,080 bytes free

On 7/2/2020 at 8:07 PM, Superfluous J said:

I have a config that is not working in 1.10 that did work in 1.8. I never tried it in 1.9 as I never played in 1.9.

Can you check in ModuleManager.ConfigCache to see whether it looks correct?  This will show you the final state of all the configs after MM has patched them but before KSP interprets them.  It's a much faster way of debugging patches than trying to look for the effects in-game.  It'll also tell us where to go next with the debugging.