[1.8.x-1.12.x] Module Manager 4.2.3 (July 03th 2023) - Fireworks season

sarbian

Is there a version of this that doesn't have the annoying 64Bit warning and Nyan Cat? I DON'T need this! I have to use 64Bit because of all the mods I use. If I were to use the 32Bit version, the game would constantly crash because it ran out of memory...even though my system has 16GB RAM and my next upgrades will push it to 64GB.

It don't matter how much ram you have in 32 bit, In 32 bit is limited to 4 GB and you can dual boot windows and run linux too.

So the reason that Win64 warning is there is because Win64 is unstable. like, really unstable.

fortunately, the source is available and you can disable it and recompile for yourself. if you can do that, then you've proven you understand code well enough that can tell the difference between a crash from MM and a crash because of stock Win64 weirdness, and you aren't going to come back here with bad bug reports.

otherwise, considering ATM as a way to reduce memory pressure. i run 35-ish mods, including B9, on Win-32 with no problems.

I know that, but the mods I use push it over that limit. That's why I use 64Bit. As for Dual Booting, I don't have Linux and wouldn't want to screw up my system already if something goes wrong.

Linux is A, free and B, runnable off a USB stick. Here's an easy guide for doing it (one of the steps is 'make a backup in case you screw something up').

Have you tried OpenGL? That is working wonders for me - no ATM needed, B9, KWR, TR, KSC++ and it all runs under 2.5GB.

That said, the warning is supposed to be annoying - it's reminding you that you are running a version of KSP that is widely known to be unstable, isn't supported by a lot of modders (including sarbian) and even Squad recommend that you don't use it. I can't express how much of a pile of unstable mess that thing is, it should never have been in 0.25 in the first place. You actively select a build that is defined as Experimental on Steam.. and then complain at the modders (who do this work for free) that their warnings about how unstable it is are annoying.

Shame on you.

Already have that and installing it now, But I was experiencing tons of MEM crashes with 32Bit and I had ATM in 0.24.5 and earlier. That's why I use 64Bit as I search out my problem and found out the limits of 32 and 64Bit. Will see if it crashes if I run it with all the mods AND on 32Bit.

Linux is A, free and B, runnable off a USB stick. Here's an easy guide for doing it (one of the steps is 'make a backup in case you screw something up').

Have you tried OpenGL? That is working wonders for me - no ATM needed, B9, KWR, TR, KSC++ and it all runs under 2.5GB.

That said, the warning is supposed to be annoying - it's reminding you that you are running a version of KSP that is widely known to be unstable, isn't supported by a lot of modders (including sarbian) and even Squad recommend that you don't use it. I can't express how much of a pile of unstable mess that thing is, it should never have been in 0.25 in the first place. You actively select a build that is defined as Experimental on Steam.. and then complain at the modders (who do this work for free) that their warnings about how unstable it is are annoying.

Shame on you.

First of all, I appreciate what the modders are doing and that their work is free. I have no problem with that. I have a problem with not being given a choice. If a person wants to use 64Bit, then it should be his choice and he should get one warning. After that, if anything goes wrong, he has no reason to complain because he was warned.

Secondly, I just started to get the latest version of KSP and all of my mods (was still playing 0.24.5) because they were updated.

Thirdly, I'm not too savvy with Linus and have no external drives for a back-up of Windows 7. I read the Linux instructions, but I see no need for an extra expense just for a game.

Lastly, I have tried OpenGl in 0.24.5, but had serious graphical glitches.

So there's absolutely no need to wag you finger at me, Sir. As I said: I appreciate what the modders are doing, but users SHOULD be given a choice and one warning.

Edited by Furious1964

First of all, I appreciate what the modders are doing and that their work is free. I have no problem with that. I have a problem with not being given a choice. If a person wants to use 64Bit, then it should be his choice and he should get one warning. After that, if anything goes wrong, he has no reason to complain because he was warned.

Secondly, I just started to get the latest version of KSP and all of my mods (was still playing 0.24.5) because they were updated.

Thirdly, I'm not too savvy with Linus and have no external drives for a back-up of Windows 7. I read the Linux instructions, but I see no need for an extra expense just for a game.

Lastly, I have tried OpenGl in 0.24.5, but had serious graphical glitches.

So there's absolutely no need to wag you finger at me, Sir. As I said: I appreciate what the modders are doing, but users SHOULD be given a choice and one warning.

i'd like to throw in here that the Win64 specific code JUST shows the nyancat, and then does nothing else. all other code is identical between x64 and x86; there is no other changes to the behavior. you are given "a choice and one warning". the warning is just cute.

i'd like to throw in here that the Win64 specific code JUST shows the nyancat, and then does nothing else. all other code is identical between x64 and x86; there is no other changes to the behavior. you are given "a choice and one warning". the warning is just cute.

What I meant to say is that, yes, the warning should be once. But couldn't there have been an option to disable that from happening when the game is restarted? I'm currently testing the mods I have one at a time to see if they work and I keep getting the Nyan Cat and warning. Yes, it is cute and funny...the first time around. Sorry if I'm being a pest and a complete tard, but once is enough.

And does anyone know the MEM limits for OpenGL?

Edited by Furious1964

I love the idea that players should have choices and should be allowed to use what they want and do what they want.

But a modder is under no obligation as to whether or not he/she offers you that choice. Because it's HIS choice as to whether or not to offer or support 64 bit. And it supplants yours by simple virtue of the fact that for you to have your choice, he has to make that offering and cannot be forced to do so. SHOULD not be forced to do so.

But you still have a choice. You can download Github for Windows, clone the source, download Monodevelop, remove the offending bit and recompile. If you lack the knowledge, that sucks but the modder still doesn't have to accommodate you.

[...] And does anyone know the MEM limits for OpenGL?

Same as it ever was. -OpenGL doesn't change any limits, it just fails to load the code allocate extra texture memory to support DX9/10/11, so memory USAGE goes down.

Edited by AetherGoddess
fixed per Sarbian's Pedantry

I love the idea that players should have choices and should be allowed to use what they want and do what they want.

But a modder is under no obligation as to whether or not he/she offers you that choice. Because it's HIS choice as to whether or not to offer or support 64 bit. And it supplants yours by simple virtue of the fact that for you to have your choice, he has to make that offering and cannot be forced to do so. SHOULD not be forced to do so.

But you still have a choice. You can download Github for Windows, clone the source, download Monodevelop, remove the offending bit and recompile. If you lack the knowledge, that sucks but the modder still doesn't have to accommodate you.

I'm not that savvy with coding, so I'm going to have to live with it as my test with 32Bit crashed after installing 41 Mods...that's half of the mods I wanted to install.

Sorry to be a complete pain, bother and jacktard to everyone. I have no choice BUT to use 64Bit. I don't know if the option to use OpenGl has changed or not and I don't know if it will crash because of the amount of mods used.

Same as it ever was. -OpenGL doesn't change any limits, it just fails to load the code to support DX9/10/11, so memory USAGE goes down.

Err, No. It forces unity to use opengl instead of Dx9. The memory saves comes from the fact that opengl push the texture to the graphic card while dx9 does not (10 and 11 do).

Furious1964 I am deeply not sorry for the nyancat that runs only on the screen that you, as a user, most likely see once a day. Feel free to use one of the many available alternative or spend 30s to find the info you are looking for on opengl. Hey, I m in a good mood so here it is

I have no choice BUT to use 64Bit.

So use Linux x64.

Look, I'll be blunt here - you have a few options: Use Win32bit, get no warning, less mods; use Win64bit, get warning, all the mods, unpredictable crashes; Linux x64, no warning, all the mods; Win64bit with recompiled MM, no warning, all the mods or Win32bit OpenGL, no warning, possible graphical issues. You have to pick one. I don't particularly care which one you pick, but either way, you're going to have to sacrifice something. Whether it's amount of mods, time to learn coding or money to buy a 1GB USB to dual boot.

Or you could just, you know.. live with it and not complain that it's annoying.

How thorough is the regex support for PART names? I'm working on creating some MM files for a part set, and the names are fairly regular, but it'd simplify things if I could use character classes to specify several parts with one declaration.

How thorough is the regex support for PART names? I'm working on creating some MM files for a part set, and the names are fairly regular, but it'd simplify things if I could use character classes to specify several parts with one declaration.

it's .Net's Regex code, under the hood, so pretty good, i'd say.

LitaAlto : you can't use regex for part match, only simple filename expansion (* and ?). The game does not support some char in those lines and so I am not sure adding the code for a regex here would work.

EDIT: Nevermind, the problem was coming from another MM patch, should've looked further into it :3

Leaving the code below for archives, as I've got another question : in the case of the config below, is it possible to add a :BEFORE[] or :AFTER[] selector after the :NEEDS[] selector ?

I can't understand if we can use the :NEEDS[<modname>] in initial part configs (as perthis wiki entry on github), and to what extent.

I'm trying to integrate mods right in the configs of the Tantares pack. Let me give you an example of what I currently have :

// ****************************************************************************
// Tantares/Parts/TKS/Alnair_Crew_A/part.cfg  ALN Descent Capsule
//
// Dependencies (optional) :
// - TAC Life Support (~> 0.10.1)
// - Connected Living Space (~> 1.0.11.0)
// - Kerbal Attachment System (~> 0.4.9)
// ****************************************************************************
PART
{
// Stock config =============================================================

// General parameters -------------------------------------------------------
name = Alnair_Crew_A
module = Part
author = Tantares

// Model & texture ----------------------------------------------------------
MODEL {
model = Tantares/Parts/TKS/Alnair_Crew_A/model
position = 0.0, 0.0, 0.0
scale = 1.0, 1.0, 1.0
rotation = 0.0, 0.0, 0.0
//texture = Alnair_Crew_A_psd, Tantares/Parts/TKS/Alnair_Crew_A/Alnair_Crew_A_psd
}
rescaleFactor = 1.25

// Node & attachment definition ---------------------------------------------
node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -0.2325, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 2
node_stack_top = 0.0, 0.2325, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 1
attachRules = 1,0,1,1,0

// TechTree integration -----------------------------------------------------
TechRequired = specializedControl
entryCost = 2400

// Editor parameters --------------------------------------------------------
category = Pods
subcategory = 0
cost = 2400
title = ALN Descent Capsule
manufacturer = A-L-N-A-I-R
description = It looks a bit small, but this capsule will hold three Kerbals.

// Part specifications ------------------------------------------------------
mass = 1.6
dragModelType = default
maximum_drag = 0.20
minimum_drag = 0.15
angularDrag = 2
crashTolerance = 45
maxTemp = 3400
CoMOffset = 0, -0.23, 0
vesselType = Ship
CrewCapacity = 3

// Internals ----------------------------------------------------------------
INTERNAL
{
name = Alnair_Crew_A_Interior_Basic
}

// Stock modules ------------------------------------------------------------
MODULE
{
name = ModuleCommand
minimumCrew = 1
}

MODULE
{
name = ModuleSAS
}

MODULE
{
name = ModuleReactionWheel

PitchTorque = 1
YawTorque = 1
RollTorque = 1

RESOURCE
{
name = ElectricCharge
rate = 0.250
}
}

MODULE
{
name = ModuleScienceExperiment

experimentID = crewReport

experimentActionName = Crew Report
resetActionName = Discard Crew Report
reviewActionName = Review Report

useStaging = False
useActionGroups = True
hideUIwhenUnavailable = True
rerunnable = True

xmitDataScalar = 1.0
}

MODULE
{
name = ModuleScienceContainer

reviewActionName = Review Stored Data
storeActionName = Store Experiments
evaOnlyStorage = True
storageRange = 2.0
}

MODULE
{
name = FlagDecal
textureQuadName = flagDecal
}

// Stock resources ----------------------------------------------------------
RESOURCE:NEEDS[!TacLifeSupport]
{
name = ElectricCharge
amount = 50
maxAmount = 50
}

RESOURCE
{
name = MonoPropellant
amount = 30
maxAmount = 30
}

// Module Manager configs ===================================================

// TAC Life Support ---------------------------------------------------------
description:NEEDS[TacLifeSupport] = It looks a bit small, but this capsule will hold three Kerbals. Includes life support supplies to support 3 kerbals for 10 days.

MODULE:NEEDS[TacLifeSupport]
{
name = LifeSupportModule
}

RESOURCE:NEEDS[TacLifeSupport]
{
name = Oxygen
amount = 1110.372330
maxAmount = 1110.372330
isTweakable = true
}
{
name = Water
amount = 7.249875
maxAmount = 7.249875
isTweakable = true
}
{
name = Food
amount = 10.968750
maxAmount = 10.968750
isTweakable = true
}
{
name = ElectricCharge
amount = 1500
maxAmount = 1500
}

// Connected Living Space ---------------------------------------------------
MODULE:NEEDS[ConnectedLivingSpace]
{
name = ModuleConnectedLivingSpace
passable = true
}

// Kerbal Attachment System -------------------------------------------------
MODULE:NEEDS[KAS]
{
name = KASModuleContainer
maxSize = 25
}
}

For some reason, the MODULEs and RESOURCEs defined with :NEEDS[] selectors don't apply to the part. Am I doing something terribly wrong, or do I just don't understand what can be done ?

Edited by Eagleshift
Woops, PEBKAC ! Changed to another question and greyed the old one

LitaAlto : you can't use regex for part match, only simple filename expansion (* and ?). The game does not support some char in those lines and so I am not sure adding the code for a regex here would work.

That's disappointing. But thank you for letting me know!

I guess I was a bit ambitious because I just assumed !PART would work, but is there a way to delete a part using MM? I was writing up a Firespitter patch that would add fuel swap to certain 'duplicate' parts, mostly the SP+ but also the mk1 fuselage, but I'd like to remove it's counterparts from showing up.