[1.8.x-1.12.x] Module Manager 4.2.3 (July 03th 2023) - Fireworks season

sarbian

On 9/17/2016 at 1:29 PM, Morx said:

Hello, i'm trying to make an MM patch that multiplies all the engines' isps by a certain value (to play 6.4x kerbol) but the problem is the isp value has a strange format in the part cfg files:

Isn't that what SMURFF does - lets you use stock parts on RSS-sized systems? 

Hello everyone!
I'm using MM to translate the game to portuguese, but I'm having a problem while trying to change the words on the "StoryDefs.cfg" the contract backstory generator.

The problem is like this: I change the file using MM to show these translations on this part:
        @Emphasis,Confirmative,0 = realmente
        @Emphasis,Confirmative,1 = verdadeiramente        
        @Emphasis,Confirmative,2 = definitivamente
        @Emphasis = atualmente

@Skeptical,0 = aparentemente
        @Skeptical,1 = de alguma maneira
        @Skeptical,2 = por alguma razão

But then, the output in the game and ModuleManager.ConfigCache is this:
            Emphasis,Confirmative = really
            Emphasis,Confirmative = truly
            Emphasis,Confirmative = definitely
            Emphasis = atualmente
            Skeptical = aparentemente
            Skeptical = de alguma maneira
            Skeptical = por alguma raz�o       

I even tried to delete the entire Adjectives NODE and remake it again, but the output is even worse:
            Emphasis = realmente
            Emphasis = verdadeiramente
            Emphasis = definitivamente
            Emphasis = atualmente
            Skeptical = aparentemente
            Skeptical = de alguma maneira
            Skeptical = por alguma raz�o

So my problem is, I can't seem to change the nodes that have commas in it because MM doesn't recognize them, or just messes them up. If I create a new Adjectives Node, it just makes no sense, hehe.

Also, I think there is a problem with symbols when patching with MM. Everyone of these symbols used in the portuguese language: ´ ` ~ ^ ç ã é è á í ó ú õ ô ê â and etc. are replaced by � in-game wihich makes it readable but you know...
Squad is already working on supporting these symbols in-game so I hope MM fixes it too (unless is just a problem with the game)
I know my problem is pretty specific and that I've never posted here, but I wish to thank you guys because modding is awesome!

6 hours ago, Pesterenan said:

Hello everyone!
I'm using MM to translate the game to portuguese, but I'm having a problem while trying to change the words on the "StoryDefs.cfg" the contract backstory generator.

I can see why MM would fail on value with 2 comma. I ll see what I can do for the next release.  

As for the non English letter it should be just a problem with the game.

13 hours ago, sarbian said:

I can see why MM would fail on value with 2 comma. I ll see what I can do for the next release.  

As for the non English letter it should be just a problem with the game.

Thanks for answering Sarbian!

May I mention another problem I'm having?

With this translation I'm also changing the text on the textures of capsules and tanks and etc. but only some models appear to accept the new texture, others disappear. Let me explain:
While changing the texture of, let's say "mk1pod", MM makes the right thing while changing the .cfg file, but in the game, the pod disappears.
Here is the code:
//@PART[mk1pod]
{  !mesh = DELETE
    MODEL
    {   model = Squad/Parts/Command/mk1pod/model
        texture = outer shell, PTBR/Parts/Command/mk1pod/outershellPTBR   }   }

I already "commented" this on my mod so the game doesn't crash. I think it happens because this part have an INTERNAL node, or because the name of the file of the texture has a "space" in the middle (this worked with Mark1-2Pod though).

This problem happens similarly if I try to change the texture on the Mk1Cockpits. I use this code:

//@PART[Mark1Cockpit]
{   !mesh = DELETE
    MODEL
    {  model = Squad/Parts/Command/mk1Cockpits/CockpitStandard
        texture = Mk1Cockpit, PTBR/Parts/Command/mk1Cockpits/Mk1CockpitPTBR

texture = GLOW, PTBR/Parts/Command/mk1Cockpits/GLOWPTBR    }    }

And happens the same, the Cockpit Mk1 disappears because of an error, but I can't seem to find what's causing it.

If you could help me, these are like the last steps for what's possible to translate in-game :)
The same is happening with the INTERNALS too, I made texture for them, but if I try to change, the IVA disappear from the ships. ^^

Sorry for the long posts, and thanks!

C1225445061345F034BB975B11C1C99FD8D3C594

An example of what I'm doing. KSP 1.1.3 MM version 2.26.25.
These parts worked, but cockpits and pods, and parts that have INTERNAL nodes, I can't seem to change the texture correctly.

@Pesterenan try this code snippit:

@PART[mk1pod]
{
  !mesh = DELETE
  MODEL
  {
    model = Squad/Parts/Command/mk1pod/model
    texture = outershellPTBR, PTBR/Parts/Command/mk1pod/outershellPTBR
  }
}

@PART[Mark1Cockpit]
{
  !mesh = DELETE
  MODEL
  {
    model = Squad/Parts/Command/mk1Cockpits/CockpitStandard
    texture = Mk1CockpitPTBR, PTBR/Parts/Command/mk1Cockpits/Mk1CockpitPTBR
    texture = GLOWPTBR, PTBR/Parts/Command/mk1Cockpits/GLOWPTBR
  }
}

Make sure the texture name is the same of the texturefile

3 hours ago, Olympic1 said:

@Pesterenan try this code snippit:

@PART[mk1pod]
{
  !mesh = DELETE
  MODEL
  {
    model = Squad/Parts/Command/mk1pod/model
  }
}

@PART[Mark1Cockpit]
{
  !mesh = DELETE
  MODEL
  {
    model = Squad/Parts/Command/mk1Cockpits/CockpitStandard
    texture = Mk1CockpitPTBR, PTBR/Parts/Command/mk1Cockpits/Mk1CockpitPTBR
    texture = GLOWPTBR, PTBR/Parts/Command/mk1Cockpits/GLOWPTBR
  }
}

Make sure the texture name is the same of the texturefile

Olympic01 thanks for trying to help me but to change textures of existing MODELs you need to reference the original texture from the game, thus (even though I tried your method) this doesn't work ^^

On 9/15/2016 at 7:37 PM, sarbian said:

I do.

I understand that you want to help but what it actually does is we end up with people reporting bugs with mods they should not be using. I will have an official MM ready for later when the builds are more about balances and polish than bugs.

The problem is, without a working ModuleManager, there are no mods they can use. Your mod, with recompilation, enables most mods to work in 1.2.

1 minute ago, Rory Yammomoto said:

The problem is, without a working ModuleManager, there are no mods they can use. Your mod, with recompilation, enables most mods to work in 1.2.

Yeah,  you think the developer of mm doesn't know that?  He knows what he is doing.  1.2 experimentals was not intended to have mods. It was released to find stock bugs.  If a nearly bug free 1.2 drops,  mod developers won't have to play an endless game of catch up with patches, and fixes. That's how I see it,  being a mod developer.  There is nothing more annoying than having to release a new version each week because of a small change in a new build. Sarbian is doing mod developers a favor in my opinion. If you absolutely can't live without mods, 1.1.3 is still playable

3 hours ago, Rory Yammomoto said:

The problem is, without a working ModuleManager, there are no mods they can use.

Not 100% true. There are a couple of mods that don't require ModuleManager, and they work. #notallmods

Sure, it's mostly flag packs, but flag packs are mods too!

On 9/23/2016 at 0:03 PM, Rory Yammomoto said:

First off, any mods which are available now are beta.  Second, there are a number of mods which are available for 1.2 which do not require MM.  I have finished several of mine, you can get them from github. 

21 hours ago, Denko666 said:

So we should just wait beta testing our own mods until you release MM ? i understand your motivation, but i'm not exactly thrilled with it.

You can directly modify the configs to be what MM would have made them.  For example if you're using MM to add your PartModule to an existing part, just go ahead and edit the .cfg file for the part to have that PartModule.  You don't have to completely replicate your MM scripts, just modify a part or two and test using those parts.

Or just test without MM for now, and then test with MM after it's released.  You can still fix your references and get your build going, which should be most of the effort to prepare for 1.2.

9 minutes ago, hab136 said:

You can directly modify the configs to be what MM would have made them.  For example if you're using MM to add your PartModule to an existing part, just go ahead and edit the .cfg file for the part to have that PartModule.  You don't have to completely replicate your MM scripts, just modify a part or two and test using those parts.

Or just test without MM for now, and then test with MM after it's released.  You can still fix your references and get your build going, which should be most of the effort to prepare for 1.2.

Or you could just copy your 1.2 Gamedata folder onto 1.1.3

Run the game to get a mm cache

And then use that cache on 1.2

Edited by Sigma88

8 hours ago, Sigma88 said:

Or you could just copy your 1.2 Gamedata folder onto 1.1.3

Run the game to get a mm cache

And then use that cache on 1.2

Or.... Download the sourcecode and compile it for 1.2 myself.... Which  is what i did. 

17 minutes ago, Denko666 said:

Or.... Download the sourcecode and compile it for 1.2 myself.... Which  is what i did. 

And as was stated when the prerelease came out and someone else did the same. If you do that without making other necessary changes you will have issues.

On ‎23‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 6:51 PM, sarbian said:

And it is my precise intent.

BOOM head shot.

Sarb kicks ass!

So, I'm curious (as a mere peon consuming everyones mods) what does module manager do? does it make all mods uniform in some way?

edit/  so I went to page 1 and read a little, so it makes sure that there aren't mods referencing each other unintentionally therby overwriting parts etc ?

Edited by C04L

5 hours ago, JPLRepo said:

And as was stated when the prerelease came out and someone else did the same. If you do that without making other necessary changes you will have issues.

i'll tackle those as they present itself... so far its all smooth. 

Edited by Denko666
autogrammarpolice

4 hours ago, C04L said:

So, I'm curious (as a mere peon consuming everyones mods) what does module manager do? does it make all mods uniform in some way?

edit/  so I went to page 1 and read a little, so it makes sure that there aren't mods referencing each other unintentionally therby overwriting parts etc ?

In a nutshell, MM allows mods to modify parts before they are loaded into the game's part database. This allows mods to add extra modules to parts and to make other tweaks. The mods then use the added modules to implement the functionality added by the mod. 

4 hours ago, C04L said:

6 minutes ago, Tarheel1999 said:

In a nutshell, MM allows mods to modify parts before they are loaded into the game's part database. This allows mods to add extra modules to parts and to make other tweaks. The mods then use the added modules to implement the functionality added by the mod. 

More importantly, it modifies part configs in the game database without having to overwrite the game files themselves.  Otherwise, we'd have to keep backups of original game files and keep track of which ones are edited, and how, and why (as folks did back in the day).  It gets worse when considering mod compatibility -- addons which add part modules to, say, all science labs, or addons which rebalance the game (e.g. SMURFF), would have to make updated config files for every single part which they wanted to modify, which is bad enough even with just stock parts, but then to have to track and patch every mod with relevant parts?  And then to work out which bits of each patch is required if I want to have multiple mods running?  Ech.  Module Manager's wildcard/regex matching and math operators allow patches to be almost universally compatible.

Which is not to say that there aren't challenges -- there is sometimes an order sensitivity, especially when multiple mods are tinkering with the same variables (such as mass or fuel), so there are several mods (SMURFF included) that need their patches to run just before but not exactly at the end.  Thankfully, everything's worked out where there's no need for a "Z-war" of mods squabbling to run second-to-last by adding more Z's to their "FOR[X]" blocks.

(In A World where mods that run second-to-last finish first...devastated by the savage Z Wars...one Kerbal...will become a hero...Jeb Quadrant Kerman 16...)

14 hours ago, C04L said:

WOW, Tarheel1999  & Kerbas_ad_astra  Thankyou!

I really, REALLY have a lot of respect for you guys, The planning and research that would go into such a thing boggles my mind...

I'm going to be the first ever MM groupie. Dayum, blows my mind lol

when it ready, its ready.

It's not just parts that can be modified or cloned with MM, the tech tree (edit, move and create new tech nodes) and experiment definitions (edit the stock science experiemts and create new ones) can be modified as well. Oh yeah, and resources too. :)

Ok. I've got 2 problems in a couple of patches I'm trying to run. But first one first. I love RaiderNick's station mods, Salyut, and Skylab, however few the need to add Science lab functions to add that level of realism to them. I mean SkyLAB, ya know. :-) Well, with some help on here, I managed to succeed giving Skylab it's science lab functions. Thanks guys. My friend is playing with us on DMP and is a fan of the Salyut stations. So I'm adding the functionality to that too. After setting up Skylab, I pretty much know how to do it for salyut. In fact, the patch file is almost the same, substitute the proper partname, module index, and desired stats. In this case, I kinda just stole the stats from FASA's Big Gemini Science lab. When I view the part in the VAB, it shows the w science lab details in the part details. So that's a good sign. But when I view it in orbit, right clicking the station doesn't even produce the right click menu for the part, at all. More specifically, I tested right clicking the other attached parts, and they work fine. Right click the station itself, nothing. But the clincher is, then I got to right click those same attached parts I clicked before and nothing.Switch to another ship, and back, and those parts are right clickable again, until I right click the station part again, then they don't work. Odd. Skylab doesn't have this problem. Seems like it's some sort of UI snag involved with the Salyut and the pact. Btw, the Salyut works fine as normal, without the patch. Any ideas? I'll share the file here. Skylab too for comparison, since that one works fine.

@PART[salyut6]:Final{
    MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleScienceLab
        containerModuleIndex = 5
        dataStorage = 250
        crewsRequired = 1
        canResetConnectedModules = True
        canResetNearbyModules = True
        interactionRange = 2
        SurfaceBonus = 0.5
        ContextBonus = 0.5
        homeworldMultiplier = 0.15
        RESOURCE_PROCESS
        {
            name = ElectricCharge
            amount = 5
        }
    }
    MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleScienceConverter
        scientistBonus = 0.5    //Bonus per scientist star - need at least one! So 0.25x - 2.5x
        researchTime = 2.5        //Larger = slower.  Exponential!
        scienceMultiplier = 2    //How much science does data turn into?
        scienceCap = 250        //How much science can we store before having to transmit?        
        powerRequirement = 2    //EC/Sec to research
        ConverterName = Research
        StartActionName = Start Research
        StopActionName = Stop Research
    }

}

@PART[skylab]:Final{
    MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleScienceLab
        containerModuleIndex = 3
        dataStorage = 750
        crewsRequired = 1
        canResetConnectedModules = True
        canResetNearbyModules = True
        interactionRange = 5
        SurfaceBonus = 0.15
        ContextBonus = 0.5
        homeworldMultiplier = 0.15
        RESOURCE_PROCESS
        {
            name = ElectricCharge
            amount = 15
        }
    }
    MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleScienceConverter
        scientistBonus = 0.33    //Bonus per scientist star - need at least one! So 0.25x - 2.5x
        researchTime = 7.5        //Larger = slower.  Exponential!
        scienceMultiplier = 4    //How much science does data turn into?
        scienceCap = 850        //How much science can we store before having to transmit?        
        powerRequirement = 8    //EC/Sec to research
        ConverterName = Research
        StartActionName = Start Research
        StopActionName = Stop Research
    }

}