[1.8.x-1.12.x] Module Manager 4.2.3 (July 03th 2023) - Fireworks season

sarbian

13 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

HI,

I just got a message from someone who claims that the current version of MM is broken in some way.

Can anyone comment on this?

The last version of MM only added code that intercept the Exception logging so it can find out which dll generated a ReflectionTypeLoadException. I highly doubt it could break anything that is not already broken without it.

I ll try to duplicate the poster problems but it is likely that I will find a problem somewhere else.

46 minutes ago, sarbian said:

The last version of MM only added code that intercept the Exception logging so it can find out which dll generated a ReflectionTypeLoadException. I highly doubt it could break anything that is not already broken without it.

I ll try to duplicate the poster problems but it is likely that I will find a problem somewhere else.

That was my thought as well.  It didn't make sense, but then, I don't know the internals of this, so I figured I'd post.

Just as an FYI, I am getting the same issues of the game just hanging after loading.  But it has nothing to do with the mod he mentions, I don't even have that installed.  Nothing in the logs at all, the game just hangs with 0% cpu and has to be killed.  Very strange, and I'd be happy to try any suggestions you may have.

7 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Just as an FYI, I am getting the same issues of the game just hanging after loading.  But it has nothing to do with the mod he mentions, I don't even have that installed.  Nothing in the logs at all, the game just hangs with 0% cpu and has to be killed.  Very strange, and I'd be happy to try any suggestions you may have.

As I can not see the log posted in the other thread it is hard to extrapolate. The MM 4.1.2 new code does something only if a ReflectionTypeLoadException is thrown and not handled so something is triggering it. I see that the message I log is a bit obscure so I could improve that and I guess I could make sure this does not throw an other exception on top...

Can you share the list of mod that triggers the endless loading for you ? zip the whole thing if it is not too large and I could have a look when I am back home.

3 minutes ago, sarbian said:

As I can not see the log posted in the other thread it is hard to extrapolate. The MM 4.1.2 new code does something only if a ReflectionTypeLoadException is thrown and not handled so something is triggering it. I see that the message I log is a bit obscure so I could improve that and I guess I could make sure this does not throw an other exception on top...

Can you share the list of mod that triggers the endless loading for you ? zip the whole thing if it is not too large and I could have a look when I am back home.

I'll do a few startups and hope it hangs.  It's very random, if I get a set of logs, I'll get it to you

48 minutes ago, sarbian said:

Here you go:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/utv9eiwf4atg2d2/HangLogs_181.zip?dl=0

I included all the files that I could think of, and then restarted several times to get a good startup, and included all the files from that in an embedded zip

Hi
I keep getting crashes at start up. I get a warning that module manager has had a fatal error, and it needs to quit the game. I don't know how to read crash logs, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Replication steps (I think this might have caused it, but i can be wrong)
1. Update Kerbalism
2. Forget to add the core module, only the configs
3. Launch the game
4. Nothing works
5. Install all the kerbalism things
6. Get crashes on start up

Output log and player log at dropbox link
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/caqhmj5flxo6g78/AACS7G2BKSnwuUbFCNGS1sAMa?dl=0 

Thank you to any and all that might be able to help.

17 minutes ago, Therese said:

I get a warning that module manager has had a fatal error, and it needs to quit the game

At least one of your mods crashes when inspected.  Update MM to the latest version and it will tell you which one.

Firespitter is a good guess as the version in your log is rather old and not compatible with KSP 1.8.

I'm on 1.7.3, and hadn't updated any mods lately. I tried reverting the kerbalism version, to no luck. 

I did get messages that b9 partswutch was failing, but that disappeared with an update. 

Guess I'll do a reinstall

1 hour ago, Therese said:

I'm on 1.7.3, and hadn't updated any mods lately. I tried reverting the kerbalism version, to no luck. 

I did get messages that b9 partswutch was failing, but that disappeared with an update. 

Guess I'll do a reinstall

From what I am seeing in the log you have one (more?) mod(s) that are compiled for 1.8. TarsierSpaceTech is at least one and I think you also have a 1.8 MiniAVC

6 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Here you go:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/utv9eiwf4atg2d2/HangLogs_181.zip?dl=0

I included all the files that I could think of, and then restarted several times to get a good startup, and included all the files from that in an embedded zip

I did not have much time to look at it tonight but I could not find anything really out of the ordinary.  DeployableHabitat throw exceptions in both working and not working log...

Hopefully I ll be more inspired tomorrow.

17 hours ago, Therese said:

Thanks. Some updates must have snuck in. MiniAVCs can be deleted, as far as i understand? 

Yes, you can.

Version 4.1.3 is out.

• Cleanup the  Exception interceptor code and remove the double exception logging and improve the badly worded warning

ModuleManager-4.1.3.zip

ModuleManager.4.1.3.dll

I still doubt 4.1.2 could have broken anything but this one is even less likely to :D

Edited by sarbian

12 hours ago, sarbian said:

Yes, you can.

Version 4.1.3 is out.

• Cleanup the  Exception interceptor code and remove the double exception logging and improve the badly worded warning

ModuleManager-4.1.3.zip

ModuleManager.4.1.3.dll

I still doubt 4.1.2 could have broken anything but this one is even less likely to :D

Sorry to report but, I was using 4.1.2. just fine, and as soon as I updated to 4.1.3 the loading started to hang at the end with 0 CPU as LGG described.

I will try to go back to 4.1.2, hope I'll be able to load again.

11 hours ago, Problemless Mods Wanter said:

Sorry to report but, I was using 4.1.2. just fine, and as soon as I updated to 4.1.3 the loading started to hang at the end with 0 CPU as LGG described.

I will try to go back to 4.1.2, hope I'll be able to load again.

Given the small code change between 4.1.2 and 4.1.3 I think your problem is more likely a random one that will happen with both versions. But if you can trigger it each time on 4.1.3 I would welcome a log and if it is not too large a zip of your install (without the Squad dirs). 

Edited by sarbian

41 minutes ago, sarbian said:

Given the small code change between 4.1.2 and 4.1.3 I think your problem is more likely a random one that will happen which both versions. But if you can trigger it each time on 4.1.3 I would welcome a log and if it is not too large a zip of your install (without the Squad dirs). 

After I reported, I went back to 4.1.2 and I'm playing fine on it right now. I wasn't planning to update MM for now, unless there was a major update and/or you stated a "must update".

It may have been a random one as you said but I'm living happily with 4.1.2 right now and I don't want to brake it =D

But If you insist, I can update it again and see if it's a persistent issue and send you the log files, but after I downgraded MM, I also updated a few mods, mostly allista's most recently updated ones. So the circumstances are also not the same.

Also, my install folder is unfortunately 10s of GBs =D

I thank you for all your work and concern...

I was hoping to be able to contribute to the MM hang conversation. Version 4.1.3 (the one linked a few messages above) works fine on my system. Some particulars:

- I have a carefully curated set of mods, which (afaik) are all updated for 1.8.x. I haven't used anything that "works fine anyway" - I've waited for explicit updates from mod authors.

- I've been using MM 4.1.0, and only updated to 4.1.3 after reading these posts today. No problems before, no problems after.

- if what you guys are seeing is a conflict with another mod, then I'm happy to report that it doesn't happen to me with any of these mods, so maybe you can eliminate these as potential problems:

000_ClickThroughBlocker, 001_ToolbarControl
AnimatedDecouplers, B9PartSwitch,  CommunityCategoryKit,  CommunityResourcePack
DMagicOrbitalScience, DMagicScienceAnimate, DynamicBatteryStorage

EngineLightRelit, EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements, JanitorsCloset, 
KerbalEngineer, KrakenScience, KWRocketry
ModularLaunchPads

NearFutureConstruction, NearFutureLaunchVehicles, NearFutureProps, NearFutureSolar, NearFutureSpacecraft
RealPlume, RealPlume-Stock, ReStock, ReStockPlus, RestockRigidLegs
scatterer, ScienceAlert, SituationModuleInfo, SmartParts, SmokeScreen
Squad, SquadExpansion
StationPartsExpansionRedux
StockVisualEnhancements
SurfaceLights

30 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Is that guide to running KSP in a debugger still valid?

I did not update the first post in detail but the first line has links to updated instructions.

Edited by sarbian

1 hour ago, sarbian said:

I did not update the first post in detail but the first line has links to updated instructions.

Ok.  I'm going to set up an install which duplicates my new career game, it tends to hang on startup about 25% of the time.  Maybe the debugger will help identify what's going on

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

Could you lend me some advice please?  I'd like to write an MM cfg that creates (+part) a duplicate part of the rapier engine.  Inside the new part I'd like to edit the fuel consumption, which is underneath MODULE{name = ModuleEnginesFX   engineID = AirBreathing}   and also underneath     MODULE{name = ModuleEnginesFX   engineID = ClosedCycle}.

My typical script would edit that module like so (e.g.):
@MODULE[ModuleEnginesFX]  {  @maxThrust *= 5  }     //engineID = AirBreathing
@MODULE[ModuleEnginesFX]  {  @maxThrust *= 5  }     //engineID = ClosedCycle

This doesn't work, because it doesn't have the correct pointer to the correct engineID (instead it applies, twice, the 5x modifier to the first ModuleEnginesFX it finds for a total of 25 which is not desired). 

This is the part I don't know how to do: pointing to the correct engineID.  Would it be something like the following?  Is it even possible in this version of MM?

@MODULE[ModuleEnginesFX[engineID = AirBreathing]]       {  @maxThrust *= 5  }           ???

Thanks again,

DB

p.s. for ease, here's a pointer to the KSP rapier cfg file: 

https://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Parts/Engine/rapierEngine/rapierEngine.cfg

@dunebugmi Two methods.

Refer to the modules by their index:

@MODULE[ModuleEnginesFX],0  {    }     //engineID = AirBreathing
@MODULE[ModuleEnginesFX],1 {    }     //engineID = ClosedCycle

or by using some unique value

@MODULE[ModuleEnginesFX]:HAS[#engineID[AirBreathing]]  {    }     //engineID = AirBreathing
@MODULE[ModuleEnginesFX]:HAS[#engineID[ClosedCycle]]  {   }     //engineID = ClosedCycle

I prefer the second method where possible as it is self-documenting and won't break if things ever get reordered in the original mod

Also changing MaxThrust won't affect the efficiency just the power. To change the efficiency you need to edit the ISP values which are in the atmosphereCurve sub nodes. The first number on each line is the air pressure (in atmospheres) and the second is the corresponding ISP.

On 11/25/2018 at 7:11 AM, Electrocutor said:

@blowfish So... the new version of MM no longer puts the translation of cfg into the cache, but instead the pre-process commands. Is there still a way to see what the actual output cfg is after processing?

I know there is an option to MM which tells it to output a tree of config files.

I think this will do it:

(cd to KSP directory)

KSP_x64.exe -mm-dump

It will output a new directory:

KSPdir/_MMCfgOutput

Hi people.

I have a question on patching the UPGRADES.

Say I have this upgrade in a part:

UPGRADE
{

name = A-upgrade
   UPGRADES
   {  name__ = UpgradeActual
      techRequired__ = specializedConstruction
      stuff that gets upgraded
   }

}

But with a new tech tree I want to patch the techRequired to a different node, how would I achieve this?

Would the best way be to remove the Upgrade completely and start again in the patch file for the tech tree?

Thanks for taking time to look at this!

EDIT - I think I have it.  Sorry for the ping.

Edited by theJesuit