[1.8.x-1.12.x] Module Manager 4.2.3 (July 03th 2023) - Fireworks season

sarbian

Unfortunately for those modders, people like me then simply don't use their mods. My KSP constantly crashed under the 32-bit version because of the memory issues. Since using the 64-bit version of KSP, I've only had problems when I used mods that weren't updated for the 64-bit version. If I take out those troublesome mods, I have no crashes at all. I may just be lucky, but I don't experience any of this so-called instability of the 64-bit version of KSP.

unfortunately, this is the case for almost everyone, regardless of the mods they use. i think you might find, that if you take out the mods you are running with now, and put in a equal number of "bad" mods, you'll have the same stability. the crashyness of Win x64 isn't due to mod behavior, it's crashes inside unity or squad code that only become apparent when the memory exceeds squads default part set.

i'll prognosticate one step further, and say that if you look at the crash logs, you'll see the stack trace ends in something like "((module-name not available)): (filename not available): (function-name not available) + 0x0". this means the exception occurred in some module, file, and function for which we don't have debug symbols. almost every mod maker complies with debug symbols built in, because it makes it SOOO much easier to find exceptions in the logs, which is often all mod makers have for troubleshooting. this means that the exception occurred somewhere on squads side of the wall, either KSP or Unity...

posts like your last one (specifically "If I take out those troublesome mods, I have no crashes at all.") are exactly the reason why a lot of mod makers have stopped supporting Win x64. they're being blamed for failures that aren't theirs and they can't do anything about.

Edited by AetherGoddess
readability

Unfortunately for those modders, people like me then simply don't use their mods. My KSP constantly crashed under the 32-bit version because of the memory issues. Since using the 64-bit version of KSP, I've only had problems when I used mods that weren't updated for the 64-bit version. If I take out those troublesome mods, I have no crashes at all. I may just be lucky, but I don't experience any of this so-called instability of the 64-bit version of KSP.

There is no such things as "mods that weren't updated for the 64-bit version". A .NET (C#/ KSP Plugins) dll does not care about x86/x64 unless you take additional step to make it work on only one of both. I perfectly understand that you feel cheated that some of us stops supporting x64 but the problem is in the current version of Unity and not the mods. I've explained in details in other post and I won't explain it once again.

So feel free to not being happy about us not wanting to spend our free time fixing crash we can't do anything about, but don't spread FUD about "mod crashing x64" because it's false.

Now just can we get the thread back on thread, or do I have to call in the mods for each new post that comes complaining about things I can't fix in the Unity engine and I have nothing to do with ?

[...] Now just can we get the thread back on thread, or do I have to call in the mods for each new post that comes complaining about things I can't fix in the Unity engine and I have nothing to do with ?

Here's a thing: I've been thinking about extension mods; mods that modify other mods. Specifically, i want to be able to write a MM patch that will "clone" and existing part, make a number of modifications to the clone (including identifiers, like Name, etc) without modifying the original, and then add it into the database parallel to the original with all of the values from the original plus my modifications. i'd rather not statically copy the original part, because the original mod maker may make adjustments, and i want these adjustments to happen in the cloned part, unless i have specific reason to override.

i haven't though too much about it, but i suspect there is already quick and easy syntax to do this that i simply am not seeing.

Here's a thing: I've been thinking about extension mods; mods that modify other mods. Specifically, i want to be able to write a MM patch that will "clone" and existing part, make a number of modifications to the clone (including identifiers, like Name, etc) without modifying the original, and then add it into the database parallel to the original with all of the values from the original plus my modifications. i'd rather not statically copy the original part, because the original mod maker may make adjustments, and i want these adjustments to happen in the cloned part, unless i have specific reason to override.

i haven't though too much about it, but i suspect there is already quick and easy syntax to do this that i simply am not seeing.

You mean something like this? :D

+PART[KW5mengineGriffonC]
{
@name = KW5mengineGriffonC.10m
@title = KW Rocketry Griffon Millennium
@description = The most powerful engine in the entirety of KW Rocketry's arsenal available, capable of launching some of the largest rockets conceivable.

%rescaleFactor = 2.5

@mass *= 8

@MODULE[ModuleEnginesFX]
{
@maxThrust = 33000
@heatProduction = 179
@atmosphereCurve
{
@key,0 = 0 332
@key,1 = 1 299
}
}
@MODULE[ModuleGimbal]
{
@gimbalRange = 6.0
}
@MODULE[ModuleEnginesFX]:NEEDS[RealFuels]
{
!PROPELLANT[LiquidFuel]{}
!PROPELLANT[Oxidizer]{}
!PROPELLANT[MonoPropellant]{}
PROPELLANT
{
name = Kerosene
ratio = 36.699904
DrawGauge = True
}
PROPELLANT
{
name = LiquidOxygen
ratio = 63.300096
}
}
MODULE:NEEDS[RealFuels]
{
name = ModuleEngineConfigs
type = ModuleEnginesFX
techLevel = 6
origTechLevel = 6
engineType = L
origMass = 12.46
configuration = Kerosene+LiquidOxygen
modded = false
CONFIG
{
name = Kerosene+LiquidOxygen
maxThrust = 33000
heatProduction = 179

PROPELLANT
{
name = Kerosene
ratio = 0.36699904
DrawGauge = True
}
PROPELLANT
{
name = LiquidOxygen
ratio = 0.63300096
}
IspSL = 1
IspV = 1
throttle = 0

ModuleEngineIgnitor
{
name = ModuleEngineIgnitor
ignitionsAvailable = 1
autoIgnitionTemperature = 800
ignitorType = Electric
useUllageSimulation = true
IGNITOR_RESOURCE
{
name = ElectricCharge
amount = 110
}
}
}
CONFIG
{
name = LiquidH2+LiquidOxygen
maxThrust = 24750
heatProduction = 179

PROPELLANT
{
name = LiquidH2
ratio = 0.72856139
DrawGauge = True
}
PROPELLANT
{
name = LiquidOxygen
ratio = 0.27143861
}
IspSL = 1.3
IspV = 1.3
throttle = 0

ModuleEngineIgnitor
{
ignitionsAvailable = 1
ignitorType = Electric
IGNITOR_RESOURCE
{
name = ElectricCharge
amount = 110
}
}
}
}
!MODULE[ModuleEngineIgnitor] {}:NEEDS[ModuleEngineIgnitor]
MODULE:NEEDS[ModuleEngineIgnitor]
{
ignitionsAvailable = 1
ignitorType = Electric
IGNITOR_RESOURCE
{
name = ElectricCharge
amount = 110
}
}
}
@PART[KW5mengineGriffonC]
{
@description = The second most powerful engine in the entirety of KW Rocketry's arsenal available, capable of launching some of the largest rockets conceivable.

@MODULE[ModuleGimbal]
{
@gimbalRange = 3.0
}
}

Yes, that +PART[] syntax was exactly what i was looking for, i'll have to go play with that.

Don't forget to have a line in there that changes the name! Think of it as being mandatory and it should be the first line in the config. (I don't mean it NEEDS to be the first line, just that that's the extent to which you should prioritize it. Otherwise you'll end up with two parts with the same name)

Don't forget to have a line in there that changes the name! Think of it as being mandatory and it should be the first line in the config. (I don't mean it NEEDS to be the first line, just that that's the extent to which you should prioritize it. Otherwise you'll end up with two parts with the same name)
You don't want to know how many times I forgot >.>

Yes, absolutely. my intention is to create new parts, and the first step in that is giving the new copy a unique ID. This is ideal, actually, because i can convert from modifying the provided parts to creating my own copies that won't step on the originals. it also gives me a nice easy way to modularize the project, which is something that I've been struggling with.

Hello! I recently updated to 0.25, and started installing mods... one by one. All seems fine, except for Module Manager! I am getting random crashes to desktop. Just to be sure, i uninstalled modulemanager, and ksp behaved normally again.

I took a peek into the error logs and it says there is an error Write to location 00000008 caused an access violation.

I include one of the crash reports (they are the same error), surely it will be of help to you?

https://www./?t1d9kho1hpuu92y

Thanks for your time!

Hello! I recently updated to 0.25, and started installing mods... one by one. All seems fine, except for Module Manager! I am getting random crashes to desktop. Just to be sure, i uninstalled modulemanager, and ksp behaved normally again.

I took a peek into the error logs and it says there is an error Write to location 00000008 caused an access violation.

I include one of the crash reports (they are the same error), surely it will be of help to you?

Thanks for your time!

That looks like an out of memory case to me... it's very strange that it happens only with Module Manager, though. Are you sure the game starts just fine if you remove *only* module manager?

No it's still here and opended with : Alt F11 in spaceport or main menu screen

Okay, I guess something is interfering with v2.5.1. I can't get Alt+F11 or Shft+F11 (I'm linux64) to work with anything more recent than v2.4.5.

Any ideas? I'm slogging through the multitude of mods little by little.

Thanks for your time!

Yeah, it's memory. Down around the end I found this:

DynamicHeapAllocator out of memory - Could not get memory for large allocationCould not allocate memory: System out of memory!

Trying to allocate: 1048576B with 4 alignment. MemoryLabel: STL

Allocation happend at: Line:74 in

Memory overview

That looks like an out of memory case to me... it's very strange that it happens only with Module Manager, though. Are you sure the game starts just fine if you remove *only* module manager?

Yes that is correct. I have only a few mods and nothing memory intensive like parts mods or graphic enhancements. Let me try a full vanilla with only MM installed.

No it's still here and opended with : Alt F11 in spaceport or main menu screen

Okay I've just completed a check against a clean install. I have confirmed there is no dump functionality available. I'm running linux_64, MM2.5.1

I have a single MMConfig that modifies FASA's Explorer LFTs; nothing else is modified. There is only one unexpected error in the player log:

AddonLoader: Instantiating addon 'ModuleManager' from assembly 'ModuleManager'

(Filename: /BuildAgent/work/d63dfc6385190b60/artifacts/LinuxStandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 49)

MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'LoadingScreen.get_Instance'.

UnityEngine.GameObject:Internal_AddComponentWithType(Type)

UnityEngine.GameObject:AddComponent(Type)

AddonLoader:StartAddon(LoadedAssembly, Type, KSPAddon, Startup)

AddonLoader:StartAddons(Startup)

SOH EXT :MoveNext()

UnityEngine.MonoBehaviour:StartCoroutine_Auto(IEnumerator)

UnityEngine.MonoBehaviour:StartCoroutine(IEnumerator)

SXT :MoveNext()

GameDatabase:StartLoad()

BS EOT:MoveNext()

LoadingScreen:Start()

(It appears in the KSP.log as: [EXC 11:44:33.685] MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'LoadingScreen.get_Instance'.)

Hope this helps.

EDIT: SOH,EXT,SXT,BS,EOT are all non-renderable characters. But, you know that.

Maybe i had a corrupt KSP folder?

I actually delete everything from gamedata (at the very least) and verify files with steam everytime there is a ksp update for this very reason. It also allows me to backup a compleatly stock version to copy to confirm individual mod issues if need be.

I actually delete everything from gamedata (at the very least) and verify files with steam everytime there is a ksp update for this very reason. It also allows me to backup a compleatly stock version to copy to confirm individual mod issues if need be.

Yes, good idea!

Yes, i started doing the same thing for every update since .24.0. set steam to only update on run, when an update comes, take a copy of the current KSP folder off somewhere safe, delete everything not stock and verify game cache. then i can play on the old version while the new version gets updates, and i can switch back and forth whenever i want.