Kerbal Sound Overhaul Project

pizzaoverhead

Turns out I hadn't instantiated my FXGroup correctly. Chalk that one up to the C# learning curve. So, it works now but I've found no good way to trigger the sound from outside the part. Will probably switch to a module-style plugin, as it offers better flexibility anyway.

bulletMAGNETT, yes you can control the pitch of the audio in KSP. I'm doing that already in the plugin behind the scenes. If my understanding of the pitch setting is correct, at max thrust the pitch should be the same as the source audio. Can't say for sure, but that's what it's supposed to be doing. :)

I might be able to code up something for antennas, as I was just thinking about that last night. I've got ideas for the gear (obviously) and IVA background sounds (fans, switches, beeps, etc.), so antennas might be another step to take. :)

Hey raptor , i did with some test sound to check how much the audio is detuned, check this out! the actual sounds with low thrust have down pitched and middle have the normal pitch and a full they get overpitched.

I did the dis because when i was working on the first sounds i noticed they did quite sound the same lol, and it does affect the other sounds associated with ( engage, disengage and flameout).

On the other hand i tested your plugin and the pitch works different than of ksp, at full thrusts it preserves the original pitch.

Ill upload a video!

Hey raptor , i did with some test sound to check how much the audio is detuned, check this out! the actual sounds with low thrust have down pitched and middle have the normal pitch and a full they get overpitched.

I did the dis because when i was working on the first sounds i noticed they did quite sound the same lol, and it does affect the other sounds associated with ( engage, disengage and flameout).

On the other hand i tested your plugin and the pitch works different than of ksp, at full thrusts it preserves the original pitch.

Ill upload a video!

That's kinda what I thought. I can expose the pitch for the .cfg to edit, so you can define the pitch per part. Wanted to get a working concept before I got too fancy.

That's kinda what I thought. I can expose the pitch for the .cfg to edit, so you can define the pitch per part. Wanted to get a working concept before I got too fancy.

forgot to upload the video lol here it is. (btw i used the numbers to identify the working sound)

The default ksp order on the cfg is :

1= Engage

2= Running

3= Disengage

4= Flameout

The mod doesn't use the sounds correctly

The default ksp order on the cfg is :

1= Engage

2= Running

3= Disengage

4= Flameout

The mod doesn't use the sounds correctly

(video snip...)

In the .cfg you should be able to re-order the four sounds any way you want. In the code, it pulls the "engage" sound from the "engage" setting in the .cfg, and the order shouldn't matter. What did you change the .cfg to when you added your test sounds? Want to make sure the code is working properly. Because from the sounds on your video, this is what I expect your .cfg module should look like:

MODULE
{
name = CustomEngineSounds
engage = 1
flameout = 2
running = 3
disengage = 4
}

(I'll also set the examples up with the stock-style order so everyone's on the same page!)

Also, in my next update I'll add fields to adjust the pitch so you can mimic stock. I always figured it'd be easier to put full thrust at clip-native pitch so you knew what you were getting, but flexibility is always better.

In the .cfg you should be able to re-order the four sounds any way you want. In the code, it pulls the "engage" sound from the "engage" setting in the .cfg, and the order shouldn't matter. What did you change the .cfg to when you added your test sounds? Want to make sure the code is working properly. Because from the sounds on your video, this is what I expect your .cfg module should look like:

MODULE
{
engage = 1
flameout = 2
running = 3
disengage = 4
}

(I'll also set the examples up with the stock-style order so everyone's on the same page!)

Also, in my next update I'll add fields to adjust the pitch so you can mimic stock. I always figured it'd be easier to put full thrust at clip-native pitch so you knew what you were getting, but flexibility is always better.

hey mate i did reorder the code just like that let me show you, but still did not work :P

MODULE {

engage = KSPCustomSounds/Sounds/sound_t1

running = KSPCustomSounds/Sounds/sound_t2

disengage = KSPCustomSounds/Sounds/sound_t3

flameout = KSPCustomSounds/Sounds/sound_t4

}

That what i have in my cfg, but still the sounds got switched like you heard on the video.

if you hear on the first part for ksp

engate is 1 and flameout is 4 and works right then 2 is running

on the mod thats switched for some reason :( then i did the cfg reorganized thing like you see above but still the sound was switched)

Edited by bullettMAGNETT

Ok bullett. Let's try this. Here's an updated .dll: http://cl.ly/2O3T1x2G0E0g

First, try the test again with the new .dll. If that doesn't work, save your KSP.log file and send it to me.

Then try the same thing with this .cfg that I whipped up for the LV-N (same as your test): http://cl.ly/code/0s0v272g2i1m (you can click the top-right "Direct Link" button to DL)

Again, save the log and send it my way.

Everything on my code and in my logs are telling me that the sounds are being pulled correctly by KSP and are sounding correctly. The .cfg that I made uses sounds from the GameData/Squad/Sounds/ folder, so if you've deleted those it won't work. But that's the same .cfg I used when I tested it on my machine. I also added a ton of debug output to the log for this, so there will be a ton of lines from this mod. I need those to try and figure out where KSP is confusing itself with these files.

Argh! This random-code-not-working stuff drives me crazy! :) Seems like there's no logical reason for it to break (until you find it).

Ok bullett. Let's try this. Here's an updated .dll: http://cl.ly/2O3T1x2G0E0g

First, try the test again with the new .dll. If that doesn't work, save your KSP.log file and send it to me.

Then try the same thing with this .cfg that I whipped up for the LV-N (same as your test): http://cl.ly/code/0s0v272g2i1m (you can click the top-right "Direct Link" button to DL)

Again, save the log and send it my way.

Everything on my code and in my logs are telling me that the sounds are being pulled correctly by KSP and are sounding correctly. The .cfg that I made uses sounds from the GameData/Squad/Sounds/ folder, so if you've deleted those it won't work. But that's the same .cfg I used when I tested it on my machine. I also added a ton of debug output to the log for this, so there will be a ton of lines from this mod. I need those to try and figure out where KSP is confusing itself with these files.

Argh! This random-code-not-working stuff drives me crazy! :) Seems like there's no logical reason for it to break (until you find it).

OMFG!!! YOU ARE GOING TO KILL ME :blush:

ok its working fine now but i think it was my mistake not yours, when i firs rendered the test sound the program named 2 of the wrong. i fixed it later but when i used it to test your mod i by mistake copy the wrong files ...................................................................................................................................................................:blush::blush::blush::blush:

:(:(:(:(:(:(

Sounds are working fine! each work on their respective field! i feel so dumb >_< lol

Tested the new dll its working ill test the old dll just in case

OMFG!!! YOU ARE GOING TO KILL ME :blush:

ok its working fine now but i think it was my mistake not yours, when i firs rendered the test sound the program named 2 of the wrong. i fixed it later but when i used it to test your mod i by mistake copy the wrong files ...................................................................................................................................................................:blush::blush::blush::blush:

:(:(:(:(:(:(

Sounds are working fine! each work on their respective field! i feel so dumb >_< lol

Tested the new dll its working ill test the old dll just in case

Haha! :) No worries mate! I've been there myself a few times. Made me go back and double check my code anyway, which is usually a good thing. Also, you can head over to my thread and grab the latest additions (if you haven't).

I've added IVA sounds with random clicks and noises and a background loop, and I've added landing gear sounds. Next, I'll probably work on an antenna sound next to work with the sound you said you had. Should be in v0.3.

Ya know, Pizzaoverhead, I'm glad you're working on enhancing the sounds of KSP. However, I don't really want to be downloading and updating what looks to be at least a dozen different mods/plugins on a piecemeal basis. If and when you, or someone, bundles these into one cohesive download, and then keeps it updated as a complete package, I think I'll give it a go. I already have way too many mods in my GameData folder as it is right now though, lol, so like I said, I'm gonna hold off for a while. But keep up the interesting work. :)

Ya know, Pizzaoverhead, I'm glad you're working on enhancing the sounds of KSP. However, I don't really want to be downloading and updating what looks to be at least a dozen different mods/plugins on a piecemeal basis. If and when you, or someone, bundles these into one cohesive download, and then keeps it updated as a complete package, I think I'll give it a go. I already have way too many mods in my GameData folder as it is right now though, lol, so like I said, I'm gonna hold off for a while. But keep up the interesting work. :)

Thanks! I plan on packaging my own mods together when I think they're in a good enough state. Bugs are hard to track when they're bundled together. I'd like to work together with other modders to produce a single full package, but there is a lot of difficulty involved in that. In the meantime, this project page acts as a library of all the work being done on KSP's soundscape. That way, even if you can't download them all at once, you can get the mods' download links and project pages in one place.

• 3 weeks later...
Do you know of any possible way to change the default music? A great add to this mod would be the ability to toggle sounds, and also change the default music

(I.E. VAB/SPH music, orbit/space music, and title music)

I'm working on a soundtrack editor mod at the moment. With the current test code, the space music can be replaced with a single track.

I hope, goal is to make one, joint mod - not repository of many sound mods

All the mods I am making will be bundled whenever they are finished. Most of the other mods aren't mine to bundle, so a repository is the next best thing.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm super excited about 0.23 cause adding sounds is now gonna be peace of cake:

http://www.twitch.tv/ksptv/b/486964533

Has anyone else noticed that the New SRB Sounds mod has disappeared? :( Whenever I click the link it says I don't have permission to access that page.

Yes, it is blocked because I didn't put a licence on time. The licence placing wasn't on my tight schedual and I didn't know the punishment is that severe. But I have no right to complain, it's very irrensponsible of me, sorry. I will send a message to devs, hopefully the thread still exists.

Here is the download if you need it:

http://www./download/snc6oz7bb477uzg/SRBsoundsByNothke_v1.rar

AAAAAND:

This mod is licensed under 88x31.png (click on image)

Edited by nothke

• 3 weeks later...
I'm super excited about 0.23 cause adding sounds is now gonna be peace of cake:

http://www.twitch.tv/ksptv/b/486964533

Yes, it is blocked because I didn't put a licence on time. The licence placing wasn't on my tight schedual and I didn't know the punishment is that severe. But I have no right to complain, it's very irrensponsible of me, sorry. I will send a message to devs, hopefully the thread still exists.

Here is the download if you need it:

http://www./download/snc6oz7bb477uzg/SRBsoundsByNothke_v1.rar

AAAAAND:

This mod is licensed under http://i.creativecommons.org/l/by-nc-sa/4.0/88x31.png (click on image)

Do you have any newer versions of the mod?

maybe with more sounds?

For the OP, I'm currently adding partless (plugin based) sound support into Ship Manifest as part of my Realism Mode. Pumps and electrical sounds as resources are being transferred. Sound is already implemented in my development copy. I found some excellent sounds on freesound.org.

Working out the resource flow in real time now...

Ship Manifest

Edited by Papa_Joe

I'd be very interested in helping where I can with this mod(pack). I have a decent amount of experience making sound effects and know enough C# to write up the plugins. I'd like to start with planet-surface ambient sounds. I'm gonna start experimenting with just some basic modulating wind on Kerbins surface, any tips/other sounds that people are particularly clamoring for?

• 2 weeks later...

I know that as a lowly pleb with no programming expertise I have little right to anything, but I would greatly appreciate it if someone could add 'Flight Computer' sound effects. Particularly the emergency "Abort, abort, abort" line that was present in Orbiter.

Possible lines:

"Atmospheric braking detected"

"Launch"

"Orbit achieved"

"Orbit broken"

"Warning: Terminal velocity approaching"

"Warning: Dangerous velocity at low altitude"

Et cetera. The sort of thing you could tell from looking at Mechjeb's information panels, but it frees up screen space and gives you one less thing to check visually, plus it adds immersion. Ideally, information that represents the crossing of some sort of barrier.

Edited by Artie

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.