Gas planet two

montyben101

Maybe jool could gain a few extra moons as well? Also is it possible for a moon to have a moon? Tylo is very big and would probably have a moon if it was a planet (Orbiting the sun)?

If you think about it, then Earth is really just a moon of the sun. And we have a moon of our own.

Scaled down to planet sizes, it would seem very unlikely that a moon could have a moon, unless you had a very big planet with a very big moon quite far out.

That said, it isn't like the Jool system would be at all stable IRL, so it could be fun to have a moon of a moon in KSP.

I don't see the point of moving Eeloo to be a moon. It's doing fine as our Pluto analogue. At most it should be moved out beyond the orbit of GP2.

Eeloo was destined to be a moon of the second gas giant from the day it was concieved. They put it in its current orbit to see if they could get the same sort of resonance that Pluto orbits within working.

At the current stage of the development I wouldn't consider it useful to add more planets/moons.

When things like volcanism, weather or other environmental features would be added, or when the proceduaral surface generation (like currently used only on mun) would be developed further, more planets would make sense to show more variety in these regards. But in the meantime more planets wouldn't really add anything new. Just more of the same.

Also keep in mind that currently Mun and Kerbin are the only celestial bodies which have biomes. Before the other planets and moons also get biomes, they should be considered unfinished. Before all current planets are finished, there shouldn't be new ones.

I really hope they are cosidering uranus as the model for the second gas giant.

Uranus-is-made-primarily-of-water-ammonia-and-methane-ices-and-has-a-layered-cloud-structure-made-up-of-water-and-methane.-It-has-a-ring-system-and-27-known-moons.-Its-axis-of-rotation-is-tilted-sideways.jpg

In my opinion, a second gas planet with eeloo as moon. Some minor bodies behind (with precious resources to make you move there), and some asteroids around dres, will render the kerbol system complete.

Also, I agree more planets is not equal to more fun. I'd like to have a second star to travel to with very long range joolian gravity assists. :)

I don't see the point of moving Eeloo to be a moon. It's doing fine as our Pluto analogue. At most it should be moved out beyond the orbit of GP2.

This made me think of something.

What if Squad was planning to keep Eeloo as a planet for a while, then have it "demoted" later? It would be just like Pluto.

Squad has stated that Eeloo is intended to be a moon of a second Gas Giant 2.

Source:

Celestial Bodies

Asteroids[citation needed]

3 gas planets (Jool being the only currently available), moons and an asteroid belt [1]

The dwarf planet Eeloo would become a moon of the gas planet 2.[2]

Planned Features Wikipedia KSP.

In one of the KSPtv streams... about a month ago or so... one of the devs was talking about a planet which he called a gas giant that he was working on but didn't know when or if it would be included. It wasn't a gas giant though... because it had a rocky surface you could land on... it just had a very very thick atmosphere.

I'm not opposed to having such a planet... only opposed to calling it a gas giant.

In one of the KSPtv streams... about a month ago or so... one of the devs was talking about a planet which he called a gas giant that he was working on but didn't know when or if it would be included. It wasn't a gas giant though... because it had a rocky surface you could land on... it just had a very very thick atmosphere.

I'm not opposed to having such a planet... only opposed to calling it a gas giant.

I believe that would be the Uranus analog

It was/is a test planet for the PQS system and some other new code that needs testing on a "live" subject like new planetary features, procedural craters etc. I wouldn't expect it to appear in the game as that's not its purpose, although its concept may get reused. Either way it is unrelated to Gas Planet 2 which will probably appear sooner or later in the game.

Edited by Pulstar

I'd like to have a reason to travel there, I'm not against more planets, but i'd prefer to have planets that are somewhat different to the existing, ones, Eve to Kerbin are somewhat different, and Eve serves other purpose as a gravity slings. Then duna is a nice rocky world so different from the other two, then we have Jool and the main reason are their moons. If we should have other Gas, I'd like to have a uranus - tilted planet with a very interesting moon to explore, a titan - like moon. The fact that the moon will be orbiting off plane, should make it interesting enough.

Also I'm worried about to oversaturate KSP with planets. In my opinion is best to add another star and place more planets there than here.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.