How would I increase the percentage of science gained from an experiment?

When I want to transmit data back to Kerbin from Mun, I only get 20% of the science I could. I am assuming that this is because there is stuff in the way interfering with data transmission, such as the Mun's body or Kerbin's body.

Would satellites acting as relay points fix this? I have enough in the proper locations to hypothetically give a good, unobstructed shot to the space center, but it's not working. How do I increase the amount of science gained from a test above 20%?

Edited by sting_auer

This is not a loss due to distance: It is to give you an incentive to return the experiment to Kerbin intact.

The amount of loss is determined by the nature of the experiment. (For comparison, if you take a crew report, you can transmit 100%.)

However, if you can stay in place, you can repeat the experiment and transmit it several times - After a number of attempts, you will gather the same amount of Science as if you had recovered the experiment.

This is not a loss due to distance: It is to give you an incentive to return the experiment to Kerbin intact.

The amount of loss is determined by the nature of the experiment. (For comparison, if you take a crew report, you can transmit 100%.)

However, if you can stay in place, you can repeat the experiment and transmit it several times - After a number of attempts, you will gather the same amount of Science as if you had recovered the experiment.

Thank you very much for the answer! It seems to me that it's easier to just send a probe and queue up a bunch of experiments to get the science than it is to send a crew and get the ship back.

Thank you very much for the answer! It seems to me that it's easier to just send a probe and queue up a bunch of experiments to get the science than it is to send a crew and get the ship back.

The crew can also do "crew reports" and go on EVA to do "EVA Reports" and "collect ground sample" which all add a LOT of science and can similarly be transmitted and repeated.

If you jump in the air and quickly press EVA Report before landing you can collect EVA reports from "just above" the biome you are in as well.

I'm just saying that while I agree there is little point in returning samples since transmitting and repeating is SOOOO much more efficient and faster. I'm just pointing out that it's still a good idea to have a crew member present so they can do that extra science reporting from the capsule, while on EVA, and collecting ground samples.

Edited by Alistone

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.