[WIP] Horizontal Situation Indicator - ILS *Update July 5*

kujuman

Horizontal Situation Indicator

for

RPM and as Standalone!

A horizontal situation indicator provides both horizontal and limited vertical (glideslopes) cues for surface navigation. This mod seeks to provide this invaluable instrument for KSP pilots, particularly of aircraft and shuttles.

Currently this mod is limited to RPM, but I expect to implement a stand-alone version in the near future. Also on the horizon is the ability to create new NavAids while in KSP, say, for a landing at your new Laythe base.

Edited by kujuman

• 4 months later...

Looks good, some suggestions already: make the window movable and hidden (or iconified like SCANsat map) + color selection for almost everything (needles, background and arrows, also transparent background could be useful)

EDIT: didn't notice the age of this thread, maybe the author will see this and continue :).

Edited by Justin Kerbice

• 3 months later...
Well, it is. I'd love an ILS mod but OP hasn't updated and doesn't even visit the forum that much. What's the story OP?

Oh I visit very often, just usually don't login.

On this mod: I lost my windows install around February so I'm looking for my backup files for this mod. I recently got into spaceplanes again because of SP+ so I thought I'd go back and try to fix the (major) bugs left with this mod.

totally should talk to the RPM folks about integrateing it as an RPM plugin
I agree this would make a great addition to RasterPropMonitor.

Boom! A little bump with the news of the morning.

I have a version working in RPM right now, and it's pretty awesome I must say. Still really hard to fly with a keyboard, but that's my problem...

vRBvVSJl.png

The runway can be cycled with buttons 8 and 9 and the glideslope can be cycled up and down using the arrow keys on the right (I'm using Hyomoto's mod of RPM, so I may need to have additional configurations)

I need to clean up the code a bunch (I'm using a lot of hard coded figures) and think about expanding it to work with an outside the pit mod (as originally envisioned), so that the targeted runway and glideslope are consistent when changing views.

I've added marker beacons, with both visual and aural clues. I'll throw up a video sometime today of the current version.

To do:

Debating LOC and G/S flags for out of range conditions

Need to make G/S one directional

Restore LOC backcourse functionality (I don't know where I broke it)

Debating adding a "Zone of confusion"

Debating adding a Runway Information Page (airport diagram, other parameters)

Test with a few RPM implementations and write MM configs

I am really very happy and excited that this mod was born. You have a date planned? t it can be installed without RPM?

Good luck.

Right now it only works in RPM, but I am going to release it as a standalone as well.

My current roadmap:

Development and testing of features for RPM version-Ongoing

Release v.2, RPM version only (estimate at least 1 week for public release assuming everything works well, please PM me if you're willing to test before that)

Development and testing of toolbar enabled GUI-not yet started

Release v.3, RPM + popup GUI (estimate 2 weeks after v.2)

Development and testing of in game runway editor/adder (so you can set up ILSs wherever, ie, bases on laythe)

Release v.4

Release v1.0, bugfixing

Edited by kujuman
added release v.4 to roadmap

Successfully completed moving almost all functionality of the HSI from the InternalModule that works with RPM to being in a central NavUtilLib. The idea behind this move is three fold: 1) I want to make very easy to add new types of navigation displays if required 2) help reduce computational overhead by calculating certain figures only once (may not be a net gain in speed, but it makes maintaining much easier) 3) make the experience between the RPM and a future stand alone version much more unified for both the user and the developer.

Still to do:

-Move on screen text from being managed by RPM to being rendered on to the RenderTexture

-Design and implement a GUI, including in game runway configurations

-Figure out if Toolbar should be a hard dependency or not, then integrate it

-Test on OSX and Linux (testers wanted :D )

-Develop a Runway information page

-Make G/S only work in one direction (right now it "bounces" off the runway)

Updated Roadmap

Development and testing of features for RPM version-Complete

Development and testing of toolbar enabled (standalone) GUI-In progress

• Need to get text to display on GUI, though I know how to do this (just have to do it)
  • Need to implement scaling for GUI
  • Want to save window position

Release v.3, RPM + "standalone" GUI (estimate 3 days)

Development and testing of in game runway editor/adder (so you can set up ILSs wherever, ie, bases on laythe). (rewrite nav beacons to be simpler, runway beacons to be 2x of the new beacons)?

Release v.4

bugfixing

Release v1.0

Current Known Bugs:

1) G/S not unidirectional. I don't know what logic I want to use for this

Current Wants (not assigned to a version yet)

1) In game runway configuration data page (think http://aeronav.faa.gov/d-tpp/1407/00377AD.PDF )

DtEcM2Yl.png

Edited by kujuman

This looks excellent! I'll be trying it the next time I play.

(I'll be the annoying guy that keeps saying "More!" -- any chance of some other navaids? The VAB could do with having TACAN, NDB, etc. etc. antennae on its roof. :cool:)

Progress update for 0.4.0

-The RPM buttons that control G/S and runway are now configurable in the .cfg for each RPM installation

-The RPM display no longer uses RPM for text display, and now looks identical to the standalone version

-Work is progressing on the "Add/Edit/Remove a Runway definition in game" feature. I have successfully saved runways created in code to a .cfg file, which would load next time KSP loads.

--next major step is implementing the GUI to work with it. I know what I want to have it look like, so it's really just sitting down and writing it. should be fun :D

The plan is to have the user enter a runway name and then move a vessel to the location they want the touchdown to be at. Heading and elevation will be automatically determined, unless the user wants to have manual values. the Loc beacon is planned to be located automatically 1km from the touchdown point.

note: I'm not redoing how runways are defined, at least not until there's a reason to do so (like other types of nav aids).

Cross-posted in the release thread.

• 1 month later...

I have been working on a solution to the problem of landing at polar runways. I have rewritten the horizontal situation calculation so that it uses vector calculations in cartesian coordinates rather than spherical coordinates. This avoids polar crossing and rapid heading change problems, which affect runways approximately within the tundra area.

In the process I have discovered some other fun things, for instance, the KSC 09 runway's heading is 90.4004578314501 (accurate to near the float precision limit, from the west touchdown marker).

I will have code ready in a bit if you are interested in using it.

Oh, and using 'var' as a type alias doesn't compile in mono ;)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.