[0.23.5] Ares I, Ares V, and EFT-1

ethan829

Any progress?

Nothing really to report. I think the biggest problem is size. The Altair lander is 7.5 meters across, and the Ares V is 8.4 meters across. There's pretty much no way to make the sizes accurate in KSP using stock engines. The upper stage with no payload quickly becomes too heavy for even a Mainsail.

Of course scaling it down like the Ares I and Orion is possible, but then the issue is building a somewhat accurate looking scaled-down Altair lander that can still fit 4 Kerbals. Although even just writing this have given me some ideas. I've got 3 exams this week, so I probably won't get much time to build anything new until the weekend, but rest assured I haven't given up yet.

But what about with a payload?

P.S. I think I'll start building some replica stuff too

Haven't tried with anything besides Orion, and it's more than enough for that. With the Delta IV Heavy being as overpowered as it is, the strap-on boosters and core stage do most of the work.

There's always more room for awesome recreations. I look forward to seeing what you build!

Here is my Ares IV attempt:

uTFWOvp.png

(I think I made the boosters too wide)

That's quite good, actually. Although, you are correct, your boosters are too wide. Also the core stage of your vehicle has too many engines, IMO.

Also, Ethan, I've gotta go to a tech store and upgrade my RAM. I'll build something and post pics sometime today.

Great job with these rockets. I have been trying to make the Space Launch System using your Orion MPCV as a template for a while and keep failing, usually due to clipped parts exploding (I am terrible with parts clipping) or not having enough power. Plus the boosters on the SLS are a pain to make in KSP. Good luck with your's. :)

Great job with these rockets. I have been trying to make the Space Launch System using your Orion MPCV as a template for a while and keep failing, usually due to clipped parts exploding (I am terrible with parts clipping) or not having enough power. Plus the boosters on the SLS are a pain to make in KSP. Good luck with your's. :)

I feel your pain :(

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Are you still making good rockets like the ones at the first 2-3 pages of this thread? I just really like these stock rockets.

It's finals week, so not much of anything KSP related is happening here. There were some awesome stock Ares I, Ares V, and Orion MPCV crafts posted here: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/59591-Munation-Constellation-Replica-with-Ares-V-Ares-I-Orion-and-Altair

I may work on this more in the future and/or try my hand and some other replicas, but for now I don't really have anything planned. Of course, I'd be open to suggestions!

It's finals week, so not much of anything KSP related is happening here. There were some awesome stock Ares I, Ares V, and Orion MPCV crafts posted here: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/59591-Munation-Constellation-Replica-with-Ares-V-Ares-I-Orion-and-Altair

I may work on this more in the future and/or try my hand and some other replicas, but for now I don't really have anything planned. Of course, I'd be open to suggestions!

Ok. Could you try to do the Mars Mission for the constellation program? It would be awesome if you did.

Ok. Could you try to do the Mars Mission for the constellation program? It would be awesome if you did.

The issue with the Constellation program is that the Mars mission wasn't very thoroughly planned. I haven't really seen any finalized vehicle designs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constellation_program#Orion_Mars_mission

The issue with the Constellation program is that the Mars mission wasn't very thoroughly planned. I haven't really seen any finalized vehicle designs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constellation_program#Orion_Mars_mission

This was the final design before cancelation.

Edited by astroadrian99

Which, if I may add, looks amazing. However, it'd be super difficult to pull this one off, seeing as the ship is GIANT.

Yeah true. I'll try to do it completely stock but I don't have the time, that's why I was wondering if he could do it.

Edited by astroadrian99

Yeah true. I'll try to do it completely stock but I don't have the time, that's why I was wondering if he could do it.

The most difficult things about this ship will be that you'll need to lift parts 5m in diameter in Ares V rockets, primarily the 12-count rear fuel tank. Also, the frame lattice I cannot imagine anyone making successfully...

The most difficult things about this ship will be that you'll need to lift parts 5m in diameter in Ares V rockets, primarily the 12-count rear fuel tank. Also, the frame lattice I cannot imagine anyone making successfully...

Yeah I'll have to experiment carrying that much weight. What do you mean lattice? What's that?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.