Colonization: Chapter one- Farside Crater (AAR) [pic heavy]

Patupi

Welcome, take a seat for my first efforts at After Action Reporting (AAR for those that don't know).

For those that have already gone through this, here are the links to the other chapters:

Completed Chapters:

Ch1: Farside Crater (this one!), Ch2: Lalock Valley, Ch3: Tylen Sea, Ch4: Munbase Alpha, Ch5: Jool Explorer

Ongoing Chapters: Chapter Six: Atomic Science

Farside Crater Munar Mission-001

FCMM-1-Patch.png

This patch is the wonderful work of jpvalery. Much better than my own effort! Check out his thread for his work. Thanks for your work mate :)

I'm doing a long term project in 0.22 career mode (and likely won't be updating to 0.23 if it comes out while I'm doing this) of Kerbals colonizing the Jool system, but first they have to actually get off the ground! This is the first mission to the Mun, a trip to land on Farside Crater with, as expected, Jebediah Kerman as pilot. This isn't a stock game. I'm using KAS, KSP Interstellar, Kethane, Mechjeb, Actions on the fly, Editor extensions and Firespitter. I've made a custom tree based on Interstellar's tree but I'm starting this AAR after Kerbals have already got off the ground, so to speak. There have been a few simple missions, suborbital and orbital, but this is their first efforts beyond Kerbin's low orbit. With KSP Interstellar it is going to end up high tech, but that will take a long time.

I have imposed a rule to myself on science. After data is gathered Kerbals need time to actually do research to get something out of it. It's a little simplified, but I figure a day per science point used is good. (EDIT: given the high cost of late game science I changed this to 3pts per day before I'd done the first research topic after Farside Crater Mission) I'm not going to be going all out for heavy research on missions, trying to eke out every last drop from a biome (though this mission I got more than I thought. I didn't know the special biomes had better science scores on surface samples!)... at least in general.

Oh, and I may have pinched names of Kerbals from others. I'm pretty sure Gene is part of the whole Kerbal backstory, but Ornie may just be KSK's personal character he did for his story First Flight. If you haven't checked that out yet.... WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!?

One other thing. I may not be as rapid at posting this AAR as others on the forum. Sometimes I'm sure I'll get things quickly, but mostly likely it'll be a week between updates given my job and... well... playing KSP! :)

Well, enough of that. Lets join Jeb, Bill and Bob on the launchpad for Munar-1.

Launch Prep

01-Ready to Launch.jpg

"...And don't forget the overpressure gauge." Bob said as a technician checked Jeb's suit. "They say they've fixed it, but I still don't like only having one backup of the same type."

"I know." Came the uncharacteristically quiet voice back.

"And watch the scanner on the darkside. That thing sucks juice down like no-body's business! I don't want to see you tumbling from lack of power."

"Yes Mom."

"And... what did you say?" Bob said, squinting at the chizel jawed Kerbonaut as his helmet was fitted inplace.

"I said 'Yes Bob'." with a bit more of his usual grin.

Bob sighed. He knew how Jeb felt. He'd been on numerous orbital flights himself and the pre-launch jitters got him too. Jeb though hadn't seemed to be affected like this before, even on the flight of Kerbal-1.

But this was a trip to the Mun! What Kerbalkind had been dreaming of for decades. What the team here at KSC had been struggling to achieve for the last four years.

"Uh huh." Bob said, attaching an airline to Jeb's suit and getting a quizical look from a technician. Maybe that had been his job.

"Hey guys! Control says they're starting the countdown again!" Bill shouted from up the corridor. "Get that slowpoke in the capsule already!"

"You heard him Jeb. Better get comfy, it's gonna be a long trip."

A softly gloved fist bumped Bob's chin.

"Don't worry Bob, when they get a bigger capsule through testing we'll all go. You'll get your chance."

A grin spread across Bob's face as the final touches on Jeb's suit were done and the white-suited techs nodded approvingly and stepped back.

"I'd better!" a friendly hand clasped the shoulder of the familiar orange suit of his friend "and save some Mun-rocks for me. I need a bookend."

"Hah! You betcha!" Jeb said and grabbed hold of the rim of the hatch. "See ya Bob."

Jeb slid awkwardly into the cramped capsule as his friend and all but one of the techs backed away. When his straps were checked he got a final thumbs up as everyone pulled back. An electric humm, a hiss and the hatch clanged shut above him, sealing him in. A dull rumble let him know the access corridor was swinging away from the ship.

No backing out now!

His smile faded. This was way more than he thought it'd be. Funny, he'd thought about this day for over a month during testing, and now... Jeb... HIM, with butterflies in his stomach? Who'd have thunk it?

With a sigh he clicked on the preflight display and opened the audio link to his suit.

"This is Munar-1 to control, Commencing preflight checklist. Tell Gene I'll get him a Kerbin-rise photo for his kid."

The the sound of static and chuckles came over his headset as he prepared himself and steeled his nerves.

Edited by Patupi
updating links to chapters

Liftoff

"Did I miss anything?"

Gene glanced at the nervous Kerbonaut as he skidded to a halt entering the control room.

"No Bill, still at... T minus two minutes. Kap-Kom reads good from Jeb. Where's Bob? Let me guess, giving Jeb a goodbye kiss?"

A few chuckles went around the control boards.

"Don't let him hear that!" Bill said with a fake shudder. "We'll be getting an earful for weeks."

"Yeah." Gene said absently as he scanned his supervisor board "Telemetry, check that pulse timing. I'm getting static on the Guidance feed."

"Got it Flight." came a serious voice, and a few moments later... "No interference on secondary feed. Primary down 2%. Seems at source."

"Jeb," Gene said into his mike, "check the primary Guidance board."

"Ummm..." came the static laden response, then a heavy thump. "How's that?"

Gene closed his eyes and tried to avoid grimacing.

"We're clear Flight. Guidance feed on 0.05% loss."

"Uh, that's good Jeb, but try not to break my ship when you fix stuff, OK?"

"No promises Gene!"

Bill stepped up behind the Flight Surgeon and gazed breathlessly at his display, then up at the main board. T-minus 1:23 flashed on the top left, 1:22, 1:21...

"He aint left yet?"

Bill jumped as Bob strode calmly up behind him. Gene smiled. Gang was all here then... well, apart from Werner. Reports were he was passed out from overworking himself while triple checking the figures for the intercept all night, by hand. What was it with that guy? Did he just hate computers or something?

"No Bob, but if he hit's my ship again it might just leave without him. In pieces."

"Ah, trying emergency repair procedure number two is he?" Bob grinned down at the grainy view of his suited friend in the capsule.

"Only 'cos he can't get his boot up to the panel." Bill said chuckling.

A Kerbal from the desk in front spoke over his shoulder to Gene.

"Main fuel pressure is good. Ignition systems on boosters read go. Estimate 0.003% pressure loss on tanks before main engines kick in."

"Good, good." Gene muttered as the final checklist went around the room, various Kerbals talking calmly and in order, and even Jeb seemed a little subdued.

"T minus ten..."

"Good luck Jeb." Bob said, speaking close to the Flight Activities Officer's mike.

"Hey, who needs luck?" Came the irascible retort.

"T minus five... four..."

The tension in the room mounted, Gene's fingers gripped the panel in front of him and his eyes were fixed on the pad feed, displaying the vessel as tanks vented slowly, hissing into the morning light.

"... Three... two... one... IGNITION!"

A blaze of light flooded beneath the eight tall boosters as the solid rocket fuel ignited, jerking the ship off the ground.

Jeb gritted his teeth and found his grin again as the G-forces pushed him into his seat. This was what he lived for! Wisps of mist flashed past the tiny window above him as the roar of the solid boosters thundered into the capsule.

"One thousand meters." Came Gene's calm tones. That wasn't his job? Gene must be bored. Hah! Gene, bored in Mission Control? That was a laugh!

"Munar-1 to Control. Main engines still read green. Fifth stage still looks a go. Reading 60% on boosters and dropping."

"Roger Munar-1. Telemetry reads on track." someone's voice from Control came back to him.

Vibrations shuddered through his seat. Those new BACCs sure packed a punch! With the weight of the Munar-1 damping things down those things STILL shook him like a rattle!

"Three thousand meters. Prepare for Booster separation." Gene soft voice came over the line.

"Roger Flight. Separation bolts are green on one through eight. Stand by for decoupling in five... four... three..." and the vibration cut out abruptly as the Solid fuel boosters sputtered to a halt. "... two... one... and fire in the hole!"

A solid clang rang the ship like a bell and Jeb immediately flipped the safety covers and slammed the buttons for the LV-T30s ignition. This time the kick in the pants was much more even, but still a high-g.

"Fifth stage is a go, climbing through four thousand meters. Standing by for gravity turn."

02-6th Stage boosters away.jpg

Edited by Patupi
Numbers

Gravity Turn

Bob stared at the console. The Flight Surgeon was trying not to feel nervous with one of the original six of the Interplanetary Society at his back, watching him. Bob could have cared less. Right now he was just making sure his friend was OK.

"Fifth stage separation, UNGH! and Forth stage engaged." Came Jeb's crackly voice.

03-5th Stage seperation.jpg

"Looks good Gene." someone said to Gene's right.

"Roger EECOM. How's the turn look?"

"Good, we're on the track within 0.6% so far. Got a delay on forth stage ignition from schedule, but we're on course. Flight, red light on number two."

Gene stood straight and fingered his headphone mic as he stared at the screen.

"Talk to me, what do we have?"

"I'm reading turbo pump oscillations, 70% above nominal. Pressure reads good."

"Switch to one and three, quench number two."

"Roger, quenching two."

"Something I need to know Gene?" Jeb said calmly over the link.

"Nothing for you to worry about Jeb. Though you might want to talk to your old company when you get back. Looks like a failure in number two pump."

"I'll go kick Ornie's butt when I get back." He chuckled

Caldin leaned back from Telemetry and nodded to Gene with a serious look on his face.

"We're reading under pressure on the stage three auxiliary booster number three. We're going to have to equalize. I think we're going to be under the arc on the main burn."

Gene glanced sharply around his team, the first bead of sweat forming on his forehead.

"How far under dv are we?"

"It's timing, not dv. We won't have the high thrust long enough. I think we're going to have to light off the Munar descent engines for... ten seconds. That should keep the third stage good after the auxiliaries are away. Don't worry, we won't go into the reserve."

After his eyes had locked with all of his team separately and got confirming nods of approval Gene fingered his mic again.

"Jeb, when you light the third stage it's going to come up short. EECOM is adjusting the burn to keep them even, but it's going to wind up with you under on the orbit burn. Prep the Descent engines for ignition. Telemetry thinks ten seconds should be enough to keep you up so the main third stage can stabilize the orbit."

"Roger Flight. Releasing safeties on Descent engines one through six. Coming up on Forth stage release."

The next minute was tense. The display showed the jerk as the three, linked forth stage rockets separated and fell away, then the third stage main engine and it's powerful three auxiliaries lit up. The auxiliaries didn't last long, and soon they too were falling behind the rapidly ascending ship.

04-4th Stage gone.jpg

06-Auxilary 3rd stage booster jettesoned.jpg

All eyes locked on the main display, at least part of the time, while Jeb lit up the landing rockets to give him a bit of extra thrust before he hit Apoapsis. The numbers spun by and gradually the mission control team visibly relaxed as the velocity slid up into the green.

"Cutting descent engines... and I read good on the burn. Twenty more seconds on main 3rd stage."

"Telemetry confirms Munar one. Stand by for shutdown."

"We're reading first data from the Scanners. Ground scan is negative on Kethane at present."

This was a side issue right now but Gene nodded idly. Can't ignore things in the middle of a launch, even when you have an emergency.

05-Kethane scanner tracking.jpg

07-Munar engine assist.jpg

The seconds ticked by, then finally a sigh came from the room as the displays showed the ship's engines finally quiet.

"And Munar One is in LKO. Thank's Gene, thought I was gonna be in trouble there for a minute!"

"You're welcome Jeb. Stand by for prep for the Munar injection burn. Current plot reads... five minutes. You got a reprieve Jeb. Take five."

The nervous laughter at least signaled some more confidence from the team, and Jeb certainly seemed on the ball. Maybe they could pull this off after all?

Edited by Patupi
Typos

Thanks. It's nice to finally get something written down for KSP. I've started sketching out a few other projects, but something always came in the way. I've still got a Grand Tour planned... but I think that's on indefinite hold. Every time I try to put that mission together I get distracted by something else. :)

I'm doing my own AAR about the development of my space program, prequel style, using the tech tree and career mode. I've come to appreciate what it is to write one of these, and i laud you for getting past the most difficult task of starting the thing. Good luck, and i can't wait for more character development!

Transfer Burn

09-Long burn.jpg

A grin reflected in the dish-like glass of the capsule window, Jeb's gaze falling on the blues and greens of Kerbin rotating below.

"Never gets old." he whispered, as his helmet floated beside him on a tether.

"Flight to Munar One. Jeb, you set for the Transfer burn?"

Turning back at the sound of Gene's voice Jeb sat back and tightened his straps and snapped his helmet into it's tie down.

"Roger Flight, Third stage readouts still good. EECOM confirm our fuel supply is good?"

A short pause came while Gene consulted back in Mission Control.

"Report is that you'll likely need a short burn from the Descent engines to finish the transfer burn, just 20 or so dV Jeb. EECOM plots delaying burn start to account for the faster burn rate on final phase of acceleration. Burn in T minus two minutes and twenty seconds Jeb. Get set up."

"Roger Flight. Reading Burn stats... managing orientation."

Jeb fingered the controls and started the torque system spinning. Right now spinning disks of steel and using the reaction to turn the ship the other way was the only way to alter the rotation of a ship in space. Research said they are working on getting a true manoeuvering thruster system operational, but Jeb was betting it'd be another week or more before their 'RCS' system was refined and tested through to fruition. Possibly longer.

He carefully gauged the navball as the data from mission control updated the vector marker for his burn. Slowly spinning his craft into position while he whistled a ditty some nurse from Flight Medical had taught him on a very interesting night. Music hadn't been foremost on their minds at the time, but it had stuck.

"Kerm's lament?" Came Bob's voice over the comm. "Since when do you like Folk music Jeb?"

Before he could respond Gene's voice cut in.

"Telemetry reads good on your alignment Munar One. Hold current vector while we run final checks pre-burn."

'Ah yes' Jeb thought to himself, 'My Nemesis... waiting!'

Not that there was long to wait, but time seemed to stretch out, the last minute while control double checked seemed an age.

"We have a go for transfer Munar One. Burn in T minus fifteen seconds."

Jeb couldn't help but let a sigh of relief out as he took the safeties off the engines once more. The seconds counted down and Jeb took one last look out the window, against the small domed mirror. Looking retrograde down over the surface of Kerbin into the Tranquil Sea behind him he gave one last check on his board, touched the mirror with a gloved hand, and grabbed the controls.

"Three... two... one... ignition."

This kick was minor. The Third stage engine, now the auxiliaries were gone, was a small drive. Slowly Munar One picked up speed as it raced above the atmosphere, curving gently towards it's destination, The Mun.

Jeb was looking forward to meeting him.

10-Mun Dead ahead.jpg

Edited by Patupi
bad word choices

Coasting

Once before Jeb, on his second flight to orbit, had just about reached the heights he was at now, at over 400km over Kerbin. Now it was going to be dwarfed by this achievement. He couldn't wait to tell the tales of his adventure to the crowd in the space center. Caldin would love this, let alone the new recruits! 'Tales of the deep dark, drifting in the void, the blank terror of infinite distance blotting out every...'

"OK Munar One, Telemetry reads good shut down on third stage engines." Gene said, interrupting Jeb's train of thought.

"Er, right Flight, feels good not to be shaking like a washing machine again." he quipped.

Now that he was into the flight he was getting back to his old self. Good thing too!

"Munar One? Science station wants to double check the equipment. I know we've got plenty of readings from Kerbin nearspace, but we want to know everything came through the launch in one piece. Break out the controls for Junior will you?"

"Sure thing Gene." He said, then made sure to leave his mic open as he turned to the primary science panel. "OK now Junior, be sure to look both ways before crossing the orbit, OK?"

Chuckles on the line showed at least someone in Mission Control thought he was funny.

"Gene? So, how long till we're in range of the Mun for preliminary checks?" Bob said now that things were getting somewhat calmer.

"Hmm? Oh hey Bob." Gene said, breaking free from his concentration to focus on his friend and co-worker. "Looks like we'll be at Munar altitude of 2000km in about six hours, give or take. Tracking is still processing to see how clean the burn was and how close Jeb made it."

"Huh, six hours with Jeb sitting idly around? He'll either go mad or we loose a capsule from some random maneuver he pulls."

Gene smiled, but knew that Bob was only half joking. Jeb's skills were renowned, but so were his foibles... and not sitting still was one of them. As was his penchant for crazy stunts.

"Oh don't worry, Jeb's not going to be bored. We've made sure of that." Gene tapped the screen in front of him "Right now he's going through the standard materials test with 'Junior', as a precursor for the experiments he'll do in Munar orbit and on the surface. He's not doing too bad, except for the off key singing."

"I don't get it." Bob said shaking his head. "Get him in a bar and he'll sing like a pop-star, but while he's working?" Bob winced. "I remember being stuck in a simulator of the failed 'Advanced Orbital Capsule' with him for four hours. Despite anything I said he kept singing the same song from Koclahoma. Dear Kod, that tune's still stuck in my head five years later!"

While Gene shook his head he simultaneously tapped some controls on the panel in front of him, then whispered something to one of the Mission Control specialists on the loop. Gene rarely took his attention from his job, especially of late as the Munar project focused more and more public attention on KSC. He wanted nothing to go wrong, nothing to mar the recent good record they had.

"Trust me Bob, I know. I was 'eyes on' for that whole test. I swear his high notes ground grooves in the headphones!"

With light laughter chittering around the room and the calm professional look the Mission Control officers had back on their face after the scare with the engine failure during launch, Bob finally got some of his own calm back. Maybe he'd wait to check in with Jeb for a while, perhaps when his friend got his game face on again for the Munar approach?

"Eye spy with my little eye, something beginning with 'S'."

"Stars?" Bill's tired voice came through the headset in Jeb's suit, helmet now firmly back in place.

Jeb grinned but managed to avoid chuckling. Bill didn't deal with waiting well either, and he didn't have this fantastic view!

"Nope. Space my friend, with a captial 'Spaaaa'!" he said with an expansive guesture, which nearly bumped into the landing controls. Not a lot of room in this capsule.

"Capital what?" Bill said, perplexed.

"He's joshing you Bill." came another voice that made Jeb perk up.

"Bob, where you been? You've been missing all the fun."

"Oh I can tell, but I don't think I can squeeze down the data transmission to see it with you Jeb. You'll have to enthuse without me."

Jeb tapped the left window where the Mun was growing into a detailed globe rather than the normal tiny grey disk.

"Oh, OK." He said with a melodramatic sigh. "If I must I must."

"You always manage." Coughing to cover a chuckle Bob tapped his mic to get Jeb's attention more clearly. "Flight seems to think you're ready for some REAL science. Me, I dunno? Think you can handle the goo?"

"Oh I was BORN to Goo!"

Jeb could hear Bill coughing, probably choking on his coffee.

"Oh god, I REALLY didn't need that image in my head! *cough* Thanks Jeb."

"You're welcome."

Up ahead the crisp details on the nearside of The Mun were startling this close, even through the thick glass of the window. He felt he could just reach out and touch it, hold the whole Mun in his hand. Getting out his Kinamatic-960 camera out he steadied it carefully against the bulkhead and made sure the lights were out to minimize reflections on the glass.

*Click*

"That's one for the scrap book." he whispered. "Don't worry baby, I'll be there soon."

"What was that Munar One?" Gene's voice came over the line.

"Oh, nothing Flight, starting up spectroscopy of sample nine."

11-Science passes the time.jpg

Edited by Patupi
Typos and emphasis

Munar Orbit

"Tracking, where are we on confirmation of the flight trajectory?" Gene said quietly into his mic.

"Flight, current readings from Deep Scan-9 and from on-board inertials show a slight shift on the normal axis, but it's still going to cross the target for intercept."

The windows of Mission Control showed the deep blue evening at KSC, though the room was well lit. The second shift team was starting to enter, as was KSC protocol they didn't all change shifts at the same time.

"EECOM, does the plot endanger the flight plan for landing and return?"

Jildon squinted at his board.

"It's starting to look close, but even with the planned landing profile we'll still have some small reserves left. Do you want to change from a drop landing to an arc to save fuel?"

Gene paused, considering.

"No. Stay on profile. Wernher would hate it if he didn't get his scaled shots of the whole crater as Jeb descends."

"Ja! He vould."

Heads turned as the familiar shape of Wernher Kerman entering the Mission Control room, somewhat more disheveled than usual.

"I hear you had a rough night last night Mack?" Gene said, his eyes back on his board.

Behind him, next to the KAPKOM terminal, Bill glanced at Bob and mouthed 'Mack?' at him.

"Uh, long story Bill. I'll tell you about it later. You might need a drink."

Bill glanced back and forth from Wernher to Bill and shook his head. Wernher was the least likely to get the moniker 'Mack' in Bill's book, but KSC had some weird history that was for sure.

"Oh I vas OK. I zee the flight is und spec, give or take."

"We're not in the reserve yet if that's what you mean."

"And Jeb is gut with de descent plan ja?"

"Wernher, we've all been over it time and again. We know what we're doing. Trust me, we won't wreck your baby."

"Oh, I know. It's gut, und I trust you Gene. You'll bring Jeb back vunderbar, ja?"

"Yeah, he'll be under the bar all right." Bob said with a chuckle, getting a perplexed look from Wernher and a stern stare from Gene. Gene had always felt protective of their resident genius and it showed.

"Munar One to Mission Control." Came the crackly voice of Jeb. "Do we have a revised orbital burn yet?"

Bob rolled his eyes and leaned past the KAPKOM officer and grabbed the mic.

"Come on, it's over an hour and a half till you need to burn Jeb. Don't rush them! They get this wrong you'll be plastered all over the regolith... oh... on second thoughts rush all you want Jeb. I take it all back."

"Ha ha." Jeb said in a monotone "you're real funny Bob."

"Munar One, we're still doing the final plot and Telemetry is still getting good readings from your onboard inertials. Estimate another ten minutes to get the fine details logged and then we'll give you your revised burn schedule."

"Roger flight, Junior will be happy to know that... Won't you boy? Yes you will!"

Rolling his eyes Bob muttered something about 'flogging a dead horse'. Bill wasn't sure what a 'horse' was but he was sure Bob would tell him in good time. Probably over a beer after Jeb was back.

12-Orbital capture.jpg

"T minus ten... nine... eight..."

Jeb ran through the last preburn checks and left his fingers hovering over the engine controls. When the countdown hit zero he thumbed the controls and eased the stick with his right hand, keeping on track.

It didn't last long. A quarter of a minute later and the engines cut out and he was drifting again, gravity (or the illusion of gravity from inertia) gone again and letting him float.

"Flight, resetting safeties on Descent engines one through six. Main fuel lines read stable at minus forty degrees. Tank bleed off closed, prepping for venting. Stats EECOM?"

As he rattled off the familiar figures and jargon and listened to Mission Control's respones, he had half an eye on the view. Below the sharply lit surface showed lots of shadows, craters with crisp black arcs and leaving ellipses of darkness in their wake. Ahead the terminator closed but was still a few minutes away.

"Flight, I'm getting good readings from the KE-S210. Still no positive reflections. No Kethane be... hold. Got a reading. High reading too."

"We read it too Munar One. estimating over four hundred kilolitres of Kethane below the surface with that reflection. Science is plotting if this changes our mass map. Hold a moment."

Jeb grinned as he relaxed and stared at the view while it lasted. Well, with Kethane finally proven to be available on the Mun it looked like that base Wernher was trying to push might get approved after all. Heck, with that for refueling... the possibilities were endless! Duna, Dres... and Jool of course. Jeb's grin grew wider as his imagination ran wild.

13-Low Munar Orbit.jpg

There are so many ways to come at a story like this. I did think about doing it jokingly, very little tech references at all and go with Jeb and his death defying venture to the Mun... but I kind of like full bore serious sci-fi, and this is about as close to it as Kerbals get. Well, with me anyway.

Oh, and I'm considering changing the time frame from 1 day per 1 science point to 1 day per 2, or even three science points. Right now the rate seems good, but late game with the levels costing 550 and up (mods remember) it could be a pain. Yes, missions to Jool will eat up the time, but still it's something I'm considering.

Edited by Patupi

I've seen a lot of AARs doing mission patches so... I tried. Not the greatest I know. I'm out of practice and working with various freeware packages and one ancient version of Corel Paintshop Pro. How do people do circularized text? I had to use the rect->polar coords effect to get close, then rotate and zoom to match fairly similar... plus Corel's complete lack of the ability to draw circles... *sigh* Yeah, I know it's a photo editor not a drawing package but seriously? It can do splines but not circles? OK, enough of a rant from me, here's the Farside Crater Munar Mission 001 mission patch.

FCMM001 Mission Patch-White Background.png

I think I used MS paint, Corel Paintshop Pro, Ultimate Paint, and tried a few freeware things that said they did circular text and got nowhere. Used Corel eventually, awkwardly.

(EDIT: Thinking on it, I should have done the text on a rectangular bar of the color of the ring THEN used rect->polar. Would have made the rings perfectly! *doh!*)

Edited by Patupi
a DOH! moment

Landing Preparation

"Hey Dunkel! You down here Dunkel?"

A heavy thump sounded from under a desk in the dimly lit room and the flickering beam of a flashlight could be seen amongst the scattered boxes between the table legs. Also two twitching kerbal legs and a lot of cursing.

"Oh, there you are Dunkel. Whatcha doing down here? Jeb's around the freaking Mun for heaven's sake!"

The bearded head of Dunkel inched over the farside of the desk, and of course Anwen chose that moment to flick the lightswitch.

"Gah! Dang fool! I'll be seeing spots for ages!" a thump and another curse showed he'd also be hopping for a bit too.

The young tech Anwen seemed to realise his boss was starting to get annoyed with him and his expression fell.

"I'm not going on Goo collection duty again am I sir?" he said with a gulp.

Clasping his left shin Dunkel did consider it, squinting at Anwen for effect. In the end he gave a sigh and waved the kid off.

"Too much trouble, besides the tanks are full for the moment. Anyway, last time you got your foot stuck in the launch grill. Took an hour to prise you out of there. Go on, git!"

"Uh, sir? The Mun launch? Aren't you going to watch?"

The older Kerbal stared at his employee and drummed his fingers on the desk.

"Let me guess. Research two is empty and the staff are all watching the big screen in Accounts, right?"

Anwen gulped, but nodded. With a sigh Dunkel got up, still squinting against the light, and brushed himself off.

"Doesn't surprise me. To answer your earlier question... no I'm not. I... we... have work to do. Since my aquisition duties here have been interrupted," He waved at the boxes of electronics under the table, "I'm going to head back to testing. Get the Research Two staff and meet me there. Understand? We're going to run the primary compression test on TMU-9 RCS bed... again."

Anwen's face fell and he nodded automatically as his grey haired boss headed past him.

"...and don't take no for an answer boy!" he said over his shoulder.

Jeb's eyes glinted, and not in a heroesque, glint in his eye, kind of thing. No, he was trying to avoid teardrops from drifting inside his helmet. The view was that good.

"Flight to EVA-1, how's the air out there Jeb?"

He took a moment to compose himself. Wouldn't do to croak a line given that people were going to be recording this for posterity.

"Crisp Flight. Very crisp. And you would not believe the view!"

Jeb floated with the dark coil of his tether winding up above him to the capsule, which almost seemed to loom above him as he gazed across at the Munscape below. Of course 'below' and 'above' meant little here, but the mind kept putting things in perspective even if the perspective didn't make sense.

When Jeb had first emerged from Munar One it had been 'below'. Now it was above, and it hadn't moved. He'd just seen the disk of the Mun 'above' him and... it became below. Luckily he was used to such shifts having done a couple of EVAs over Kerbin before. He really wished the research guys would finish testing the manouvering units. He wanted to FLY out here!

"Tell me you remembered the camera Jeb?" Bill's voice came across the channel clearly.

His trusty Kinematic, tested in vacuum, underwater, (and under coffee and beer for that matter), at over 90degrees Kelcius and at minus 30, clicked in his hand, the sound rather distant as it translated only through his suit.

"Hmmm... camera... camera... what's one of those again Bill?" he said, taking another shot. Spacesuit gloves were not good for using it, but it had been designed with the job in mind and had big buttons.

"Ha ha. I'm sure those photos will be poured over by the labs, along with your DETAILED REPORTS." Bill added.

With a sigh Jeb realised he DID have a job here. Only another half hour before he cruised over the target. He'd have to get back in soon and prep for landing.

"Really? I have to write? Did you pack my pen Bill?"

"Sorry to interrupt Jeb," Gene said, "but Wernher wants a shot of the N5 crater from that angle. Can you get a picture of it? Should be five degrees off the edge of the disk, below the Kemini constellation."

"Got the twins, and there's N5. *click* Is Mack still planning to set up a BBQ joint down there?" Jeb quipped as he took several shots of the region at different zooms, and even remembered to scribble some notes on his arm pad with the oversized marker for suit use. It was like writing in crayon, but it worked.

"I thought it was a Tiki bar?" Gene said, and Jeb could almost see his friends dead pan face. A better straight man Jeb did not know. "Anway, you better pack up. Telemetry has assessed your current orbit and we've got a new plot ready for the landing burn. Also you'll be heading into shadow in a few minutes. You know the drill, get back in the capsule before radio cut-off."

"Roger Flight." Jeb managed to hold back the sigh and just gently tugged on his line until he bumped back into the hatchway. A few moments later and he was sealed back inside and strapping down... just incase he needed to fire the engines unexpectedly.

The view from in here was nowhere near as impressive with the tiny window, but it was just as crisp and clear and Jeb grinned as he watched the view with half an eye, and the incoming descent burn revisions from Mission Control with the other half.

Munshadow was boring. He'd already been in the dark before hitting the radio shadow from Kerbin, but it was still dark through most of the comms blackout. They were talking about getting relay satellites out here as well as Kethane scanning probes, but that was a little way off yet.

He'd had a few reports to write up, and he was pretty sure Gene had lined that up on purpose to keep him busy. Still he got those done with over a quarter hour to spare before he left the radio shadow. That meant he'd been five minutes with NOTHING TO DO, before Kerbolrise over the Munar disk.

It had been touch and go. The controls called to him and he desperately wanted to give her a spin, literally. But he really didn't want to loose power in the dark before the solar panels could start to recharge him.

As he went over this in his head he saw a slight brightening on the disk edge of the Mun. Mun ridges and crater edges catching and reflecting sunlight before it could directly reach him. Grinning he did spin the ship now, lining up a good shot for his camera.

Kerbol blasted into view like a bomb going off, the glinting yellow light seeming to flood the capsule after his time in the dark. A long 'Aaaaaaah' escaped Jeb's lips quietly as he took several shots of the spectacle. In fact he was still snapping five minutes later when he left radio shadow.

"Munar One, this is Flight. Come in Munar One."

"They say the Mun is cold and grey Flight. I disagree. Think it's Golden, just golden."

Silence answered Jeb on the line and he was happy for it. This moment would stay with him for a while.

14-Kerbolrise over the cusp of the Mun.jpg

Edited by Patupi

Wow, that's pretty much all I have to say. This is a great story!

Agreed! Very good writing. Subscribed!

good job on the patch. I've toyed with making one for Beagle Flight but there is so much going on in that story I'm not sure what I want on it. :)

Speaking of which, I need to get back in there.

I'm loving the way you are portraying your cast and working SCIENCE in the story.

Edited by BostLabs

Thanks. Took me a while to figure out how to get the tree sorted out. I was trying to do it manually (and getting there oh so slowly) when I managed to find Tree Edit. Much easier... though I'm not sure where the link was, otherwise I'd post it here for others. I really ought to note things like that down.

I started reading Beagle flight a while ago but at the time my interest in KSP was waning (I know, what? What was I thinking!?!) but I'm back now... well, been thoroughly addicted again for quite a while actually, but forgot to keep tabs on your work. Gonna go finish reading Beagle Flight now :) Well, maybe tomorrow morning. It's time for bed here and I gotta get up at 4AM *sigh* (OK, so I managed to sit down and read it before bed anyway. Good going Bostlabs! Good storytelling.)

Edited by Patupi
Tenses, get your tenses right!

Touchdown

"Flight, controls feel a little sluggish on Yaw torque." Jeb said after aligning the pod.

Just a few minutes to go and down below he could see the darker outline of the target. Farside Crater. It was an impressive impact crater, very large compared to the Mun's size. The science department was eager for the data Jeb was going to bring back with him.

"Munar One, how sluggish? Is it going to hinder the descent?"

"Don't see how Flight." Said Jeb with a chuckle. "With a drop down profile it's pretty much two vectors. One to orbit brake, and one for final deceleration on touchdown. EECOM confirms we still have fuel reserves for this?"

"Yes, Wernher still gets his baby Munar One." Gene said, with some grumbling in the background. "Telemetry shows you good on alignment for braking burn. Standby Munar One."

More waiting. A slight twitch was forming in Jeb's right cheek, but he held it in check. The view and the sheer enormity of what he was doing helped.

"Plot looks good. Sixty seconds to burn. Systems check on descent engines Munar One."

Seems Gene was aware of what Jeb was thinking. Chuckling as the check kept him busy during the last minute Jeb went through the checklist. There was a slight over-pressure alarm on tank four, but with a re-check it seemed the gauge had jammed. He probably should have rotated the ship more after coming out into the sunlight. Kerbol was a harsh mistress out here in the vacuum of space. Thermal variance could get pretty extreme.

"T minus ten seconds Munar One." Jildon's tones came across with Gene muttering in the background to someone, then the countdown started and Jeb released the safeties one final time.

"Three... two... one... Ignition." Jeb said, and the descent engines' drove him into his seat once more.

Six LV-909s didn't provide much thrust, but on this small a ship it was a severe kick in the pants. Especially after over three quarters of an hour of weightlessness. Vibrations started again as the little ship cut it's orbital velocity. Jeb almost automatically wanted to bring the heading onto retrograde, but the burn called for vectoring purely horizontally to leave the pod descending nearly vertically for the final course to touchdown.

The numbers on his panel rolled by and Jeb smiled, feeling the pod respond smoothly, well, almost smoothly, to his touch. There was still that slight wobble from the yaw reaction wheels.

"And... engine shutdown." Jeb said into the silence as all six drives cut out. "I'm reading us on course by the numbers Flight. Spinning to get a visual on the target."

The capsule spun lazily around, pointing down as it slowly picked up speed towards the surface 45km below.

"We read good on your course too Munar One." Gene said, as Mission Control got rather quiet "We have a go for manual descent and target acquisition. Good luck!"

Jeb got some detailed figures by lining up the nose camera on the target sub-crater, then slowly spun the ship back vertical again and extended the landing legs. Early yes, but he didn't want to forget them like he did in that simulator run back in KSC! That was just embarrassing!

16-Killing horizontal vector.jpg

Automatic cameras in the tail for the craft started snapping descent shots for Wernher as Jeb fine tuned the profile. Flicking the drive and easing the nose carefully he brought his path as close to the edge of the sub-crater as possible, judging his final descent burn and how it and how the Mun's rotation would shift the vector, hopefully to the center of the target.

As he passed seven thousand meters he glanced out the starboard window and sighed. Kerbin was setting out there as the horizon rose up to meet him. He couldn't resist snapping a photo of it. Gene would love that one!

17-Kerbin sets as horizon rises.jpg

"I hope the high orbit relays are going to work guys. Direct line of sight cut off in three... two... one..."

"Still here Munar One. Monitoring your vector. Inertials still look good. Deep Space One has lost track."

"Heh, at this range it'd be a hard scan anyways. Tell me they had a hard lock on me this whole time, hmm Flight?"

Still no chuckle from Gene. Jeb hardly expected it. That was a rarity.

"That's a negative Munar One, but keep focused on target. How's the landing vector look from up there?"

There was a slight hint of worry in Gene's voice so Jeb drew his attention back to the landing. Still on course, though the speed had slowed a hair too much. Didn't want to get off plot! He cut the engines for a while. Heck, they were barely running anyway right now, just aligning his profile.

"Looking good flight. I see the target, looks even with surrounding terrain in color. East wall is slightly higher than the rest by the looks of it. Going to try to land slightly to west of center. That should keep the relay in sight above the rim-wall.

"Roger Munar One. Profile looks good. Getting a low grade return on landing radar."

"Roger Flight." Jeb said, focusing on the true altitude meter as it got a solid return. "Surface at 2000m, bringing the throttle up a hair."

Slowly the crater grew below him, filling the view in the small viewscreen, then the details of the crater floor began to show.

"Descent stage fuel gone in three, two, one... Decoupling." With a clang the six cylinders around the small capsule separated and as the central, final stage engine fired they fell away beneath him slowly.

18-2nd stage gone.jpg

"1000m, 10% throttle. May be a slight slope at target... checking landing hydraulics. Getting green light on one through six. 800m. Drifting to right. Can't see a level ground near target. Drifting. Drifting."

The ground rose to meet him as his speed slowed and Jeb grinned. 400m, 300m, 250m... This was what he lived for!

"Munar One! Ground level alert! Watch the rise!"

"I see it." Jeb said, realizing the slope was higher than he thought as the craft drifted West. He jammed the engines on, but it was a bit late. With a sudden crack the little craft hit at over twenty meters per second... and bounced.

*WOOT-WOOT-WOOT*

"Pressure alarm on leg hydraulics! I have two servo errors, profile on... Hold..." Jeb managed to get out as sweat beaded on his forehead and he fought the sluggish yaw of his craft. He brought the legs back true beneath him as he arced down to the regolith. "5m, 3, 2... touchdown."

There wasn't the applause he'd been expecting on touchdown, and he could hear the tension as control checked it out. He did the same, as much as he could. The legs did not look good on the readouts.

"Jeb, looks like you're stable." Caldin's voice came over a few moments later. "I read zero shift and no vibrations from the legs."

"Roger Telemetry. Things seem solid. Tell Wernher I'm sorry I broke his lander."

"At least it looks like it just locked the legs in place." Gene said "Good job on that recovery Munar One."

"Yeah, but I shouldn't have needed it!" Jeb sighed and closed his eyes. Don't think like that! "I think I'm good. Some dust around the capsule, mostly up the rise from here. Looks like a made an impression on the old gal!"

"I think The Mun will forgive you that little kiss Munar One. Run through the landing checks will you? I want to be sure nothing else shook loose."

19-Hard landing.jpg

Edited by Patupi
Typos

Not my first in Career, no. This whole save game was made for this AAR. Mod, tech tree etc. In that universe it's the first Munar landing. I'm trying to keep things consistent and so far it's good. Right now I've just placed a Kethane scanner in Munar orbit, and planning one for Kerbin orbit. I'm not going to make a chapter for every single mission, just important crewed ones (and maybe the odd probe that does something special)

... need's more pic's other than that i's great

Not for me it doesn't but that's just me. :) The pictures give me a reference but it's the writing that gives me the atmosphere! Going tech-heavy was definitely the right decision - the KASA-speak is very nicely done indeed, as is the general banter between Jeb, Bob and Bill. I'm looking forward to finding out where this 'Mack' nickname came from too!

Oh yes - and thanks for the shout-out. I blame Malmie for the duff turbopump though :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.