[1.3] Kerbal Joint Reinforcement v3.3.3 7/24/17

ferram4

Could we get a buff on rigidity of docking connections, or would that possibly be heading into the realm of "cheaty?" For example long interstellar ships that are docked together with Sr ports that flex when being moved...

Edited by Scootaloo

Having an issue since .23.5 came out. My KJR is causing my craft to just fall apart. My most recent creation an attempt at another Realism Overhaul SSTO, using the AJE engines, and the stretchy tanks. The craft just fell apart on load in. no explosions just bits on the tarmac.

1. Is your KJR absolutely up to date?

2. Are you using mod parts, where the modders didn't set the correct node size? What was once only an annoyance and a disruption to FAR's drag model is now, thanks to Squad's joint fixes in .23.5, a reason for parts to fall apart. Bug your part makers to set correct node sizes!

2. Are you using mod parts, where the modders didn't set the correct node size? What was once only an annoyance and a disruption to FAR's drag model is now, thanks to Squad's joint fixes in .23.5, a reason for parts to fall apart. Bug your part makers to set correct node sizes!

Protip: never set a node size to -1. In the words of Egon Spengler:

It would be bad.

The mods involved with this build and several others are as follows.

Procedural Wings

Procedural Fairings

Stretch Tanks

B9

Even when using stock parts in place of the B9 parts things just fall apart.

KJR loads, then they just collapse, no explosions, doesn't matter what it is, I have had an antenna fall through a whole rocket and that was the only thing on the top.

I may remove KJR and see if that fixes the problem.

Hodo - that problem happened in an older version of KJR. Download the latest version if you haven't already and that should fix it.

This is what I get with the latest version...

ahvfyeU.jpg

As you can see the rocket engines are being pulled behind the craft. They still work and function but they are dangling by an invisible string from behind the craft.

I uninstalled KJR and everything works fine now... odd.

That makes absolutely no sense. KJR doesn't even touch linear springs anymore (it leaves them at the stock behavior), only the angular ones, so I have no idea what could be happening there, unless those engines are attached in a way other than using a stack connection, I don't know what's going on.

That makes absolutely no sense. KJR doesn't even touch linear springs anymore (it leaves them at the stock behavior), only the angular ones, so I have no idea what could be happening there, unless those engines are attached in a way other than using a stack connection, I don't know what's going on.

They are just attached to the back of the Stretchy tanks, nothing special.

Craft file please? Anything bad in the output_log.txt?

Nothing bad in the output log, it was weird. Unfortunately I deleted the craft and started over so the craft file is gone.

Will this help with Infernal Robotics flex? Just been messing around with moving wings and what not in aircraft and they tend to try flapping

59C27D4E47031EB901D3E1ADB415981DADE4E9A3

Edited by Mmmmyum

B9

Aha! I've been having this problem and replacing the B9 reaction wheels (specifically, the largest one) solved it.

I'm not even using KJR yet in 23.5 by the way. Search function helps. Sometimes. I wish this sort of thing wouldn't happen. It's not the kind of engineering challenge I tend to appreciate.

@Mmmmyum: Depends on which joint is flapping. If it's the one between the wing and the IR part, it should help. If it's between the IR part and the fuselage, it won't at all, since that would cause KJR to prevent it from working properly.

Is this mod safe to use when a bunch of landers are connected to each other via KAS pipes? Do I need to take any precautions? Just trying to avoid a bad suprise.

This is KSP.

Bad surprises are a way of life.

I'm running an older version of KJR in an older version of KSP, and it doesn't seem to be very effective. My rockets are still extremely wobbly.

What settings in the plugin config should I edit to greatly improve rigidity and reduce gymbal wobble?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

First off, thanks for this great mod -- I've used it in the past without a hitch. However with 0.23.5 it appears to be causing problems for me. I play KSP on OS X and with KJR as the only installed mod whenever I launch from VAB/SPH I get the mac spinning beach ball of death and have to force quit and restart the game.

The problem is not present without the mod installed.

@planeguy868: Sorry, I missed your post.

You will need KJR 2.2 or earlier for it to be effective in KSP versions earlier than 0.23.5.

@Noodly: KJR does not do anything in the VAB / SPH; the code isn't running at that time. Make sure that you are using the most recent version of the mod and have installed it properly and see if the problem reoccurs.

Thanks for the quick reply.

I did ensure that I am using the most recent version of the mod (downloaded from space port link given on the first page of this thread). I installed the mod by merging GameData folders.

Also, to clarify the crashes do not occur in the SPH or VAB; they only occur when I attempt to fly whatever I created by pressing the launch button. This is the last line in Player.log:

[[PlanetariumCamera]: Focus: Untitled Space Craft

(Filename: /Applications/buildAgent/work/d3d49558e4d408f4/artifacts/MacStandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 53)

Any ways to avoid sudden spacecraft disintegration? They seems to be caused by this mod, and I have no idea where to start looking into files for a fix.

Spacestations or stuff suddenly disintegrates into bits and scatters off without any explosion or reson. They worked when I docked parts together and during and after timewarps. but as soon as they're left for ex. another craft and returning or going into spacecentral and back, It flies apart :(

The other mods im Using is Mechjeb and Quantum Struts, this mod is rather essential since the game's framerate dies and becomes unplayable with 500+parts, as Quantum Struts seems to be the best way to make a sturdy docking. So i'm looking for a way to fix this. I'm not afraid to go into files and poke around, read some earlier posts about Node Size being wronglyset for the parts , but there was no info on where to find that Node Size.

In the cfg files look for lines starting with node_stack The very last single digit number by itself in each line is the node size, which can be 0 1 2 or 3, smallest to largest. 3 is a new size and very beneficial to parts with larger than Rockomax diameter.

The Kerbodyne parts use size 3 nodes.

In the cfg files look for lines starting with node_stack The very last single digit number by itself in each line is the node size, which can be 0 1 2 or 3, smallest to largest. 3 is a new size and very beneficial to parts with larger than Rockomax diameter.

The Kerbodyne parts use size 3 nodes.

You can actually set it higher than 3 and there is some benefit to doing so. As you already know, larger node sizes mean more connection joints. From what I can tell, that maxes out at 3 connection joints. (for size 3 node). However, there is also breakForce / breakTorque properties for those joints and increasing the node size above 3 continues to scale those two properties up. I'm not sure if it affects stiffness or not because I'm not sure how to test for that, unless stiffness is linked to breakForce/breakTorque. (not to be confused with a part's breakingForce / breakingTorque)

rule of thumb: use node size = diameter / 1.25 (FYI, never set it to a negative number.....)

(or was that diameter -1 / 1.25.... maybe that was it)

Edited by Starwaster

@Holocus: There is no need to set node size with KJR, it does so automatically, otherwise too many part packs wouldn't be supported.

I'm going to blame this one on Quantum Struts. I've built many space stations and multi-part vessels with KJR and never had them fly apart like that, so it's likely caused by some forces induced by the joints created by those struts. Quantum Struts have always caused weird things like that.