[1.3] Kerbal Joint Reinforcement v3.3.3 7/24/17

ferram4

• 2 weeks later...

@ferram4 Would you consider handling strut's angular drives (especially drive.positionSpring) not in common manner of MOI * const, but in unrelated to environment way, simply constant, or maybe constant / (strut.length + 1.0)? Currently, i find struts under KJR absolutely useless in strapping wings to fuselage to stop angular stress, because they provide inadequately small forces. They are metal rods in the end, not smart tissues.

edit: never mind, fixed locally. Also, found a bug in stock DragCubeSystem, that kills struts to render part and throws NullRefs, wich leave struts as mock objects with no attachpoints.

Edited by Boris-Barboris

2 hours ago, Boris-Barboris said:

@ferram4 Would you consider handling strut's angular drives (especially drive.positionSpring) not in common manner of MOI * const, but in unrelated to environment way, simply constant, or maybe constant / (strut.length + 1.0)? Currently, i find struts under KJR absolutely useless in strapping wings to fuselage to stop angular stress, because they provide inadequately small forces. They are metal rods in the end, not smart tissues.

There's a simple construction method to remedy this. Take a look at real life, for example a bridge. Building triangles is the solution. For example you wish to connect wings to a 1.25m fuel tank: clip the wings until their roots touch each other on the inside of the fuel tank. Now place two short I beams flat on the bottom and top of the tank and use offset to slide them inside until they're no longer visible. Zoom with the camera to the inside of the tank, now you can place a few struts from the center of the I beams to the outer most point before the wings leave the tank, 45deg angle is the best. This method isn't far from some real world examples.

Anyway, I build very strong airplanes using a number of methods, never use KJR except for building naval vessels with my own mods, being 1000 to 10000 times as heavy compared with stock KSP. Copy real world examples and experiment.

Edited by Azimech

6 hours ago, Boris-Barboris said:

edit: never mind, fixed locally. Also, found a bug in stock DragCubeSystem, that kills struts to render part and throws NullRefs, wich leave struts as mock objects with no attachpoints.

If you improved the mod care to share the .dll with your changes? :)

@Svm420 i failed to, bug makes all struts, connected to b9 procedural wings under stock aero useless for me (visual is there, but it doesn't affect physics) , not ferram's logic, so i just did as 

On 14.01.2016 at 9:08 PM, sashan said:

Would everything be OK if I re-add stiffening to WingProcedural parts? I have slight problems with large b9 pwings being too wobbly.

did (removed exception from config.xml). That solved my problems.

55 minutes ago, Boris-Barboris said:

@Svm420 i failed to, bug makes all struts, connected to b9 procedural wings under stock aero useless for me (visual is there, but it doesn't affect physics) , not ferram's logic, so i just did as 

did (removed exception from config.xml). That solved my problems.

I've also removes that exception, works perfectly. Should be in the next mod update.

• 3 weeks later...

I believe that KJR might have a bug/oversight:

The Advanced Grabbing Unit (aka the "Klaw") seems to be too stiff when the pivot is freed; I can hardly get it to budge so that I can center asteroids right. (On the other hand, stock klaws wobble too much when the pivot is locked :p)

@SneakyRobot: If your lander is still flipping out and exploding even after KJR's nearly 1 second of physics easing and invulnerability, then your design is either not viable under Eve's gravity or it has spawned inside the ground, and I can't do anything about either of those.

@Spheniscine: Likely needs an exception of some kind to the extra stiffening.  However, it will then be just as stiff as stock with that change, but I see no problem with that, given that flexible joints like that should be less stiff overall.

I'm aware that KJR disables it's self in the x64 version (which i am using a workaround of 1.0.5)
I've nerve had any glitchy issues at all, in fact, x64 runs 1000times better on my computer than the stock 32bit ever did.
anyway, i was wondering if there's a way to force enable KJR in x64, or get a version that supports it?
im sure the publisher had good reason to do this, but yolo.

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, NathanKell said:

Pretty sure "are we there yet" posts are _also_ "annoying af" :P

6 hours ago, Vanamonde said:

Seeing as the pre-release is less than a day old, one might allow some time for the mod-maker to respond. Assuming he/she wishes to do so, for which there is no obligation. 

just asked if he considered pre-release support or not :P

11 hours ago, McHox said:

just asked if he considered pre-release support or not :P

I wouldn't expect them. Ferram responded on a Reddit thread that his copy of KSP is not through Steam so he does not have access to the pre-release. As well, he doesn't (rightfully) feel like supporting both 1.0.5 and 1.1 as long as 1.1 will be undergoing development releases.

Edited by MainSailor

7 minutes ago, blowfish said:

You know, you could at least try to read the posts above yours :huh:

I did, and I was wondering if there was any news, and I wasnt asking if he'd do it, I was wondering if someone would help or something