[1.3] Kerbal Joint Reinforcement v3.3.3 7/24/17

ferram4

@ferram4, I will second @TiktaalikDreaming  Take your Time and ignore the impatient ones.    @TiktaalikDreaming I too wonder about the sanity sometimes of the Core squad mechanic.  But they developed this game and it is what they want (They referenced that with the .90 update IIRC.)   Wobbly explody rockets it is I guess until the Return of KJR (should that be a movie title? )  :)

39 minutes ago, TiktaalikDreaming said:

That said, I haven't used KSP without this mod in so long, that now that I'm testing my mods without it, I'm seriously thinking I should just mark this down as a hard dependency.  What the hell is stock KSP doing with joints?  It's like there's negative damping.  It's totally crazy.

Yeah, I've used KJR myself for a very long time and I have the same feeling with stock KSP.

Anyway, as I said earlier, I'm in no hurry for KJR to be updated and besides, things really should be tested without KJR in the bugtracker.

@ferram4 No prob on waiting to release until the 1.1 full is released.

@Pappystein Kind of sounds like a movie title, yeah.

Edited by smjjames

I can't speak for Ferram, but the updated development version does seem to be functioning. I'm sure he still has something in mind since he hasn't released it, but nothing's exploded so far.

12 hours ago, lagcity613 said:

Woo! It's worked for me for about an hour with no bugs, haven't noticed anything. Thank you Ferram, for freeing us of the tyranny of the struts!

-edit- 4 hours now, no bugs!

Does it work in 64 bit?

1 hour ago, _Krieger_ said:

KJR v3.1.4 from GitHub seems to be working in 1.1 64 bit.

how can you tell whether it is working with 1.1? it has no ui, so it might just be silently failing. my understanding is that any .dll not specifically compiled for 1.1 will not work due to sweeping changes in the API. KJR 3.1.4 was last compiled in June 2015.

EDIT: rummaging around, i found ermald79's fork: https://github.com/emerald79/Kerbal-Joint-Reinforcement which probably *does* work.

Edited by speedwaystar

1 minute ago, speedwaystar said:

how can you tell whether it is working with 1.1? it has no ui, so it might just be silently failing. my understanding is that any .dll not specifically compiled for 1.1 will not work due to sweeping changes in the API. KJR 3.1.4 was last compiled in June 2015.

I tried flying a rocket that was wobbling and the joints were stiff, and i got the "KJR is stabilising physics load"message when i loaded the craft.

that's interesting -- maybe the API hasn't changed enough to break everything. there's also a 1.1 compatible fork which i've linked above.

EDIT: and now that i look more closely, the feram4 master branch on github was updated 2 days ago. sorry, my github fu is weak :/

https://github.com/ferram4/Kerbal-Joint-Reinforcement

Edited by speedwaystar

21 minutes ago, speedwaystar said:

that's interesting -- maybe the API hasn't changed enough to break everything. there's also a 1.1 compatible fork which i've linked above.

EDIT: and now that i look more closely, the feram4 master branch on github was updated 2 days ago. sorry, my github fu is weak :/

https://github.com/ferram4/Kerbal-Joint-Reinforcement

Yes, that's the one I've got.

9 hours ago, speedwaystar said:

EDIT: rummaging around, i found ermald79's fork: https://github.com/emerald79/Kerbal-Joint-Reinforcement which probably *does* work.

The 1.1 compatible dev build definitely was working for me (Windows x64 pre-release) earlier, as I was seeing the KJR messages on screen as well as ships being obviously more resilient than the stock limp pasta.  However, recently, it appears to have stopped working -- no more KRJ messaging, and the the joints are definitely not reinforced.  Something changed.  It could be that the newer pre-release code (1174) broke KJR somehow, or some other mod I have loaded is interfering, but it had been working at the beginning of the pre-release but it's not currently functioning.

Is it possible for me to edit a cfg file or something that prevents reinforcement of any joint involving a wing part? I love how it makes my larger aircraft fuselages stiffer but i would still like some wing flex. 

Thanks

hello @ferram4  thank you for this brilliant mod !

Unfortunately "KJR 3.1.4" it does not seem to work properly for 1.1 (pre-release).

My question - it will be further developed for the final release of 1.1 - am already looking forward it :D.. without this mod it is almost impossible to keep the larger rockets together (for example - my 'Aiakos -1' without 'KJR' these "dancing" and finally going crazy during ascent..I'll spare you these pictures  :)

bBIPfT7.png

cheers and thanks for your awesome mod,

raendy

Edited by RaendyLeBeau

58 minutes ago, RaendyLeBeau said:

hello @ferram4  thank you for this brilliant mod !

Unfortunately "KJR 3.1.4" it does not seem to work properly for 1.1 (pre-release).

My question - it will be further developed for the final release of 1.1 - am already looking forward it :D.. without this mod it is almost impossible to keep the larger rockets together (for example - my 'Aiakos -1' without 'KJR' these "dancing" and finally going crazy during ascent..I'll spare you these pictures  :)

bBIPfT7.png

cheers and thanks for your awesome mod,

raendy

Pretty sure Ferram knows his mods are popular. I also know he's said something to the effect of "not until 1.1 is out of prerelease."

1 hour ago, technicalfool said:

"not until 1.1 is out of prerelease."

thanks for hint, yes I can understand, I'll do it exactly the same with my follow-mods.

Edited by RaendyLeBeau

Using the latest dev-build there seems to be a problem; I know it's a dev version and all so feel free to disregard my message I'll still love you anyway :wink: but just in case this can be of interest:

When undocking ships, one of the ship will become "moving over the surface", preventing timewarp, making it wobble weirdly. If control switches to an unaffected ship and timewarps the affected ship will be send kilometers away instantly.

Test craft: http://te4.org/images/tmp/TEST.craft

Simply hyperedit it in orbit, undock one of the RCS tugs and the main body will go all wobble. This happens reliably on latest 1.1 (and all 1.1 before really) on linux 64b. Tested with nothing but KJR (and hyperedit) installed.

32 minutes ago, DarkGod said:

Using the latest dev-build there seems to be a problem; I know it's a dev version and all so feel free to disregard my message I'll still love you anyway :wink: but just in case this can be of interest:

When undocking ships, one of the ship will become "moving over the surface", preventing timewarp, making it wobble weirdly. If control switches to an unaffected ship and timewarps the affected ship will be send kilometers away instantly.

Test craft: http://te4.org/images/tmp/TEST.craft

Simply hyperedit it in orbit, undock one of the RCS tugs and the main body will go all wobble. This happens reliably on latest 1.1 (and all 1.1 before really) on linux 64b. Tested with nothing but KJR (and hyperedit) installed.

I've seen the same problem when using hyperedit to move ships into orbit.  Not sure (yet) if it's hyperedit or KJR that's causing the problem.

Oh my you may be right actually! I didnt even think hyperedit could cause that, but I've strapped some Big Boosters (tm) to my test craft and orbited it manually and no problem so I'll have to assume this is hyper edit being mad then.

Sorry for the disturbance