[1.3] Kerbal Joint Reinforcement v3.3.3 7/24/17

ferram4

15 hours ago, DarkonZ said:

I'm only posting this for fun,

. Kerbal Joint Reinforcement is the next best thing since sliced cheese. Way better than bread!

Almost as good as deli ham in my book.

I hope this is the right place to post this, but there seems to be a pattern between some significant controls issues on my parts and KJR in 1.1 forming. (Towards the bottom of the page)

I.E. I have a Proton rocket in the mod, totally un-flyable under KJR, reasonably okay without.

Is there something I need to do to make parts more KJR friendly?

Edited by Beale

@Beale: Looking at the reports, I don't believe that KJR is the issue here.  In the video case it appears that there is simply insufficient control authority for MJ to handle the design.  It is possible that KJR is responsible for the self-destructs if the joints are under very high stresses, moreso than normally occurs in stock KSP with parts that size, but that should be more than mitigated by the simpler control setup when MJ or SAS doesn't have to handle any flopping around.  And it certainly doesn't explain why MJ is being so timid in the video.

From my tests, the Proton is fine with KJR and plain SAS.  I suspect the problems lie more with either MJ or how the gimbals are set up with that first stage.  I don't know which it is, but KJR does not seem to be the issue.

Oh, btw, the LF/O ratios are off on the Proton 1st stage.

6 minutes ago, ferram4 said:

@Beale: Looking at the reports, I don't believe that KJR is the issue here.  In the video case it appears that there is simply insufficient control authority for MJ to handle the design.  It is possible that KJR is responsible for the self-destructs if the joints are under very high stresses, moreso than normally occurs in stock KSP with parts that size, but that should be more than mitigated by the simpler control setup when MJ or SAS doesn't have to handle any flopping around.  And it certainly doesn't explain why MJ is being so timid in the video.

From my tests, the Proton is fine with KJR and plain SAS.  I suspect the problems lie more with either MJ or how the gimbals are set up with that first stage.  I don't know which it is, but KJR does not seem to be the issue.

Oh, btw, the LF/O ratios are off on the Proton 1st stage.

Thanks for the information, I have never used MJ so do not know how it handles this kind of thing - but noticed the video example was not really fighting the rocket's fate.

Not sure how the ratios got out of whack, but thanks for spotting that!

Edited by Beale

Not sure who to report this too, but with KJR installed, whenever I have procedural fairings on my craft and they are set to "auto strut" my log will throw an error "It is illegal for a joint to connect a rigid body to itself." I have eliminated any other mod with this error. When launching the craft, it will remain at the pad with booster ignited and will not move. The second I eject the fairing, the craft will launch normally. If I turn auto struts off, the error does not show up in the Debug Console. I will report this to the author of procedural fairings as well! Nevermind! Its a procedural fairing issue! 

Edited by Porter_John
Other mod issue, not this one

Hi @ferram4

I got this error, is it something that you can fix ?

NullReferenceException
  at (wrapper managed-to-native) UnityEngine.Joint:get_connectedBody ()
  at KerbalJointReinforcement.KJRMultiJointManager.CheckMultiJointBetweenParts (.Part testPart1, .Part testPart2) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at KerbalJointReinforcement.KJRManager.UpdatePartJoint (.Part p) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at KerbalJointReinforcement.KJRManager.RunVesselJointUpdateFunction (.Vessel v) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at KerbalJointReinforcement.KJRManager.OnVesselWasModified (.Vessel v) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at EventData`1[Vessel].Fire (.Vessel data) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Part.Couple (.Part tgtPart) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at ModuleDockingNode.DockToVessel (.ModuleDockingNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at ModuleDockingNode.<SetupFSM>m__34C () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at KerbalFSM.RunEvent (.KFSMEvent evt) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at KerbalFSM.updateFSM (KFSMUpdateMode mode) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at KerbalFSM.UpdateFSM () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at ModuleDockingNode.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

To reproduce , install KJR and KIS , launch the craft in the zip, hack gravity , Undock and redock the probe , this cause the issue , tested with last KJR release an last KIS no other mods , this only happen if you redock with the capsule if you remove the capsule there is no error:

Craft file, Log and savegame: http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=49290334311264821032

Edited by brusura

@brusura: Turns out that KIS was unnecessary for reproduction, but thanks for including it anyway for thoroughness.  Found the issue: when multipart-joints are destroyed, I didn't clean up the lists for them, so when it redocked KJR was checking against joints that didn't exist anymore and that broke everything.  Dev build has it fixed if you wanna mess with that now, I just wanna make sure I didn't introduce new bugs in the meantime.

Alright, v3.1.6 is up, which fixes the issue Brusura found and includes some optimizations.

No idea what problems you guys were having, even v3.1.5 worked on 1.1.1.  If it was actually wobble-related I would blame any mod managers you're using for giving you an out-of-date version (much older than v3.1.5), and if it was not joint-wobble related I would put the blame somewhere other than the mod that only handles joint-wobble.

1 hour ago, ferram4 said:

Alright, v3.1.6 is up, which fixes the issue Brusura found and includes some optimizations.

No idea what problems you guys were having, even v3.1.5 worked on 1.1.1.  If it was actually wobble-related I would blame any mod managers you're using for giving you an out-of-date version (much older than v3.1.5), and if it was not joint-wobble related I would put the blame somewhere other than the mod that only handles joint-wobble.

I guess the problem lies in patch 1.1.1 itself. My ships went crazy during launch without using this mod.

Anyway, thanks for the update!

On 4/28/2016 at 11:58 PM, JJJacksonTyler said:

Bad case of the wobbles post-1.1.1, can anyone confirm this is an issue, or is it just me?

I'm interested to see you guys confirm if this only happens when reverting and retrying a launch - but not when launching directly out of the VAB/SPH. In my install, it seems to only happen when reverting.

I cant wrap my head around how fast my favourite mods are getting updated, originally i was thinking good few months before we get these. Thank you SO much for making KSP even awesomer than it is!

17 hours ago, dannway said:

I guess the problem lies in patch 1.1.1 itself. My ships went crazy during launch without using this mod.

EDIT: Apparently KSP 1.1.2 released this morning fixed the 1.1.1 wobble.

Edited by Raptor9

Alright, so KJR v3.1.7 is out.  This doesn't actually include any changes and is merely a recompile for 1.1.2, and there are no issues in KJR itself in 1.1.2.  However the CompatibilityChecker utility uses a bit of code that is known to have changed in 1.1.1->1.1.2 so I would suggest updating to ensure that if CompatibilityChecker triggers that you don't have things break later.

@rolls: No, you would want the last version before 1.1 compatibility.  Never assume mods are compatible across KSP versions, especially not major version updates.  The changelog will tell you which one you're looking for.

FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'KSPUtil, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its dependencies.
  at KerbalJointReinforcement.KJRManager.Awake () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
UnityEngine.GameObject:Internal_AddComponentWithType(Type)
UnityEngine.GameObject:AddComponent(Type)
AddonLoader:StartAddon(LoadedAssembly, Type, KSPAddon, Startup)
AddonLoader:StartAddons(Startup)
AddonLoader:OnLevelWasLoaded(Int32)

I'm getting this in my output_log.txt and it appears the the mod is not doing anything at all. I enabled "debug=1" in the script file however I do not see any further log messages regarding it.

I tried putting my KSP folder back in the steam folder, and I also tried launching it from another directory however I'm not sure how it is getting the path directory. My other mods correctly load the path correctly.

Ideas?

That is what happens when you ignore what I say and insist on using the versions intended for 1.1 compatibility with older KSP versions.  Don't do that; go get the older version and use that.

53 minutes ago, ferram4 said:

That is what happens when you ignore what I say and insist on using the versions intended for 1.1 compatibility with older KSP versions.  Don't do that; go get the older version and use that.

Apologies. I had installed 3.1.4 via CKAN and then manually installed 3.1.5 at some stage. It appears CKAN only is aware of what it has installed, if I manually update it isn't aware. Hence I thought I had 3.1.4 when I actually had 3.1.5

Thanks for the quick reply, appreciate it.