[1.3] Kerbal Joint Reinforcement v3.3.3 7/24/17

ferram4

Good evening,  Spend a good part of today trying to find out why my spacecraft kept overheating and finally exploding.  This was a Spud capsule from HGR with a stock chute on an excellent reentry slope. Craft began overheating at 64k and exploded at 32k.  Did this several ways, same result.  Removed KJR and this issue vanished.  Even on an almost ballistic slope.  Was asked by HGR Community leader to pass this info to you.  Homer to your Mobil!

This is likely caused by another mod.  KJR has no influence on heat transfer or heating whatsoever, nor does it even touch code that affects heating.

I'm not sure exactly what I'm supposed to do with this information.

Ferram, I was wondering if KJR is used upon loading another craft into physics range? If not, is it possible to get those same effects during that transition? I was thinking that easing physics when a craft loads into physics range may help vessels sitting in the water keep from entering the stratosphere upon loading when coming into physics range.

• 3 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, Adam Kerman said:

is this helpful for FASA's Saturn V? I would like for the Saturn V not to wobble:D

Probably?  It strengthens joints between all* parts

*there are a few exceptions for certain parts with specific modules

So this mod would get rid of my unreal wobble ? ( I already struted the thing like crazy and it still wobbles like all hell, my Saturn V replica ( Stock parts ) is way too long ! ).

8 minutes ago, RoyalVengeance said:

So this mod would get rid of my unreal wobble ? ( I already struted the thing like crazy and it still wobbles like all hell, my Saturn V replica ( Stock parts ) is way too long ! ).

I just installed and tried , I CAN REMOVE ALL THE STRUTS AND IT FLIES WITHOUT THE WOBBLIES !!! Sorry for the caps but holy balls I'm so happy now ! Thanks Ferram for this GREAT MOD !!!! 

Hi! I'm on a MacBook, running KJR 3.1.7 on KSP 1.1.2.1260. I have a space station orbiting Mun that breaks apart less than a minute after selecting it from the Tracking Station. If I uninstall KJR and restart KSP, the station is stable––a little wobbly if SAS is enabled, but nothing self-destructive.

My savefile, consisting of just the problematic station, is here (The savefile requires MechJeb and SpaceY Lifters.). If anyone is able to reproduce this problem, recommendations for resolving it without having to remove KJR would be particularly welcome.

Edited by ExecutiveOne

23 hours ago, ExecutiveOne said:

Hi! I'm on a MacBook, running KJR 3.1.7 on KSP 1.1.2.1260. I have a space station orbiting Mun that breaks apart less than a minute after selecting it from the Tracking Station. If I uninstall KJR and restart KSP, the station is stable––a little wobbly if SAS is enabled, but nothing self-destructive.

My savefile, consisting of just the problematic station, is here (The savefile requires MechJeb and SpaceY Lifters.). If anyone is able to reproduce this problem, recommendations for resolving it without having to remove KJR would be particularly welcome.

i've ahd a similar issue. i've been unable to pin it down to a spefic mod, but it seem unlikely that really any of the mods i've not yet eliminated would cause a gyro-kraken

On 30/05/2016 at 9:17 PM, ExecutiveOne said:

Hey im having problems with saved rocket designs that like to just explode as KJR loads :-( its fine with out it :-(

I am having a problem with my space station uncontrollably wobbling and oscillating after a few seconds; time warping stops it, but it soon starts again and escalates severely. This happens with SAS on and off, and with a variety of different control points. It stops if I uninstall KJR. (But, of course, then it becomes impossible to get all the parts of my station at rest relative to one another due to decreased stiffness) Is this a known issue?

On Freitag, 3. Juni 2016 at 1:15 AM, dpitch40 said:

I am having a problem with my space station uncontrollably wobbling and oscillating after a few seconds; time warping stops it, but it soon starts again and escalates severely. This happens with SAS on and off, and with a variety of different control points. It stops if I uninstall KJR. (But, of course, then it becomes impossible to get all the parts of my station at rest relative to one another due to decreased stiffness) Is this a known issue?

There is an issue called "orbit decay bug" that has something to do with moving CoM and stuff, on the bugtracker thread it's mentioned that this stock bug is "amplified" by several mods - more or less - and that KJR should apply the most significant "amplification" so if the bug occurs, it occurs much more heavy with KJR installed.

Actually I can't seriously plan any mission because this bug breaks everything, like

This has also been an issue for me, but it varies widely; usually it is negligible. I once had trouble planning a Mun rendezvous because my orbit changed so quickly that I could never precisely align my maneuver. The wobbling bug always happens eventually with KJR installed.

In order for me to fix any oscillation bugs, I need a stock parts only craft file that will cause the issue the second I load it in.  Otherwise I can't reproduce the issue to try and fix it.

Do you mean a save file? I have one with a stock-only orbital station that starts oscillating more or less immediately, that I could send to you. But it took quite a while to assemble in orbit and is composed of numerous parts, so the craft file alone wouldn't help much.

EDIT: Here is my current career mode save, where I am experiencing the oscillation. The craft you want to look at is "Gateway Station", in orbit above Kerbin. It should start oscillating soon after being loaded. Let me know if you can't reproduce it. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4804342/persistent.sfs

Edited by dpitch40
Added link to save file

is there some tech tree implementation that i'm not seeing with KJR?  i looked through the definitions and didnt see anything related to career progress

i started a brand new career for the first time since 1.x and everything just falls apart at the slightest touch.  even docking a simple 9 part station to a lander can crew ferry broke the can off from the docking port as soon as it attached.

@dpitch40: Well, I can can confirm that it does oscillate to destruction under thrust.  I cannot confirm that it oscillates to destruction after loading in; I loaded in twice and it was perfectly stable so something else is happening to start it there.

I'll look into it, but if you were deliberately trying to create the most unstable collection of rigidbodies-on-spring-dampers possible you couldn't have done better job of breaking things here.  Seriously, large heavy masses connected through lots of ultra-light parts through a central part is a recipe for a disaster, even in the stock game.

On 5/3/2016 at 6:56 AM, cavilier210 said:

Ferram, I was wondering if KJR is used upon loading another craft into physics range? If not, is it possible to get those same effects during that transition? I was thinking that easing physics when a craft loads into physics range may help vessels sitting in the water keep from entering the stratosphere upon loading when coming into physics range.

I am looking for a similar solution. I have seen others state that using FAR helps with boats from jumping out of the water and exploding. I tried it and it does indeed fix the problem however, I was hoping there may be a standalone solution inside of KJR or FAR that could derived maybe as a Maritime Fix Mod :)