[1.3] Kerbal Joint Reinforcement v3.3.3 7/24/17

ferram4

Thanks I'll take a look.

I wonder how KJR calcluates it area of the two parts.  I used a capsule collider for each.  I did swap the collider on the jettison engine to mesh, but left the other one alone. I'll try swapping both and see what happens.

FWIW, there's really not THAT much thrust being generated here.

Edited by Kurld
more info

I replaced the capsule colliders for the jettison and escape parts with mesh colliders. No change.

FWIW, the escape motor part just aft of the jettison motor part had a capsule collider and did not separate from the truss piece it is attached to.

Would altering the CoM in the part config cause this?  I seems to remember reading a passing reference to that possibly throwing things off.

Does KJR currently require ModuleManager to be installed?  I am running on a *very* tight memory budget with minimal modification in order to try to stop crashes due to my computer running out of memory, and would like to avoid installing it unless necessary...

Regards,

Northstar

Edited by Northstar1989

34 minutes ago, Northstar1989 said:

Does KJR currently require ModuleManager to be installed?  I am running on a *very* tight memory budget with minimal modification in order to try to stop crashes due to my computer running out of memory, and would like to avoid installing it unless necessary...

Regards,

Northstar

It looks like MM is not required, but if you're worried about memory, MM should be about the last thing on your list.  ModuleManager is pretty lightweight and doesn't actually do anything once the game has started (unless you reload the database).

11 hours ago, blowfish said:

It looks like MM is not required, but if you're worried about memory, MM should be about the last thing on your list.  ModuleManager is pretty lightweight and doesn't actually do anything once the game has started (unless you reload the database).

I've noticed slight increases to memory usage with Module Manager installed- even greater ones if I add then remove a mod with it installed...  I'm trying to run KSP on a craptop with just 2 GB of RAM, so every bit helps... (being poor sucks- it sucks worse when you've worked and studied hard your whole life but been nickel-and-dimed to death...  Medical School applications cost thousands of dollars once you take interview travel costs into account, and USA universities, banks, and apartments all love to charge you a million fees...)

Edited by Northstar1989

How do I edit the configs to make things more flexible and bend further before breaking? Ive looked at the readme and managed to turn down the stiffening but no matter what I adjust, the wings on my bigger planes keep cutting loose when they bend past a few degrees. Basically I'm looking for X-Plane 10 levels of wing flex, is this possible?

Thanks

Edited by the_machemer

• 4 weeks later...
54 minutes ago, Leandro Basi said:

KJR will be needed in KSP 1.2 or the new version has a patch for physics faults?

KJR is not a patch for faults.  Wobbly rockets is part of KSP.  It was far worse in the past and Squad eventually found a way to strengthen joints.  But Squad's acceptable level of wobble isn't universally loved.  I and many others still see them as spaghetti rockets, especially when launching the larger and more demanding craft used in RSS.  So KJR is still needed as a 'modification' to Squad's design decisions.

Just a heads up, but it might take slightly longer than normal for me to push out an updated version of KJR.  1.2 has its own version of physics easing and some changes regarding how vehicles spawn on the ground so I want to do some extensive testing once I have it actually working prior to releasing an official version.  These systems are just too delicate to not be crazy about.

As usual, no promises about when it'll be out though.  This could be incredibly simple or it could require bashing my head into a wall.

I don't know why Squad didn't just full-blown implemented the joint-strengthening by default, I thought it was a waste. Is it because of "heheLOL funny wobbly rocketz.gif" or "MOAR strutz" joke that has became pathetic overtime.   

5 hours ago, ferram4 said:

As usual, no promises about when it'll be out though.  This could be incredibly simple or it could require bashing my head into a wall.

No worries. Thank you greatly for the heads up it eases many a mind I'm sure

This is vital to my gameplay style, but its even more vital that it be done right.  Take your time Ferram4, and don't forget to have fun; your efforts are much appreciated!

Edited by Murdabenne
typos as usual

2 hours ago, FellipeC said:

I though the rigid option and autostrut will make this obsolete, but far from it.

Can't even put a landing gear on a wing that it will break on touch down

Judicious autostrutting can reduce the need for KJR, but by no means covers all the things KJR does.  It sounds like some of the causes requiring the physics easing after timewarp etc have maybe been fixed, but probably not all.  And Squad's intent is the rockets are wobbly and kinda funny/cartoon/slapstick.  KJR will always be needed for heading towards something vaguely realistic.

KSP has never pogoed as far as I know though.  It'd be interesting to see that on kerbal wobble scales.

On 10/12/2016 at 3:54 AM, ferram4 said:

Just a heads up, but it might take slightly longer than normal for me to push out an updated version of KJR.  1.2 has its own version of physics easing and some changes regarding how vehicles spawn on the ground so I want to do some extensive testing once I have it actually working prior to releasing an official version.  These systems are just too delicate to not be crazy about.

If you get it done, you get it done. If you decide not to, no worries. 'Tis volunteered time, not a political posting. 

You could also start a kickstarter for a padded helmet.