[1.3] Kerbal Joint Reinforcement v3.3.3 7/24/17

ferram4

As far as it is KJR still messes with IR. IR-Parts are not excluded from KJR-stiffening at all. Genereal solution is still tu deactivate the whole KJR-stiffening. This means KJR-Mod is mostly useless.
MuMechToggle is told to exclude the IR-parts. Creater of IR confirms it, but as far as I see MuMechToggle-exclusion doesn't prevent stiffening of IR-parts. I wish someone with knowledge comes up with a solution. I myself lack knowledge, so I just can say the state of beeing (other see it as complaining). Maybe KJR-creators test it with the latest version of IR-Mod?

Edited by PieBue

I'm having an issue with KJR 3.3.1 and KSP 1.2.2:

Vessels seems to be quite unstable according their center of mass - it's like the center is shifting/wobbeling around, causing vessels to rotate without reasons/reactions wheels.

Simple example: the stock tutorial "Go for Orbit" isn't working anymore, since the stock rocket on the launch pad is increasingly wobbeling around until it falls.

When KJR isn't installed the rocket is stable like a rock and everything is fine.

Edited by Tekener

• 2 weeks later...
On 30.10.2016 at 3:37 AM, frencrs said:

Hey, I know the 1.2 version of IR is still beta but KJR isn't ignoring MuMechToggle stuff. It's still marked exempt in the config, it might be a change by IR. Servo joints still move but they're skewed.

Anyone know a fix to this? Or any update at all? Would be nice O.o

I found that this is a little too effective. When you disable the joint lock on the claw part (or any part that you can lock joints on), it doesn't flex around. Could you do something about that? Perhaps disable it for just that part if necessary? Or add an option in the config file?

On 11/14/2016 at 10:48 AM, Drillgorg said:

I have a bug to report.  The Klaw's free pivot option does not work with this mod installed.  I had to uninstall the mod, line my ship up with the center of mass of the asteroid, then reinstall the mod.  Would love to see a fix for this, as this is an essential mod for me.

Is this still the issue with the Klaw still a problem?  The only work around would be that we have to uninstall Joint Reinforcement?  There is no way to make KJR not affect that part?

1 hour ago, Liquid5n0w said:

Is this still the issue with the Klaw still a problem?  The only work around would be that we have to uninstall Joint Reinforcement?  There is no way to make KJR not affect that part?

I think the solution is to change

name="multiPartAttachNodeReinforcement">0<

in ...KSP_win64\GameData\KerbalJointReinforcement\Plugin\PluginData\KerbalJointReinforcement\config.xml

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/25/2017 at 9:53 AM, Liquid5n0w said:

The same problem exists with Nils277's Feline Utility Rover's flexible joints. Nils has apparently been in contact with Ferram4, and said it should be fixed in the next update. Just hope it's soon.

Meanwhile, there's a workaround that keeps some of the functionality of KJR while allowing flexing joints to work.

In Config.xml, change the line near the top,

<bool name="multiPartAttachNodeReinforcement">1</bool>

to

<bool name="multiPartAttachNodeReinforcement">0</bool>

With that, and stock Rigid Attachment and some auto-strutting, you can get close to KJR's base performance, but still allow those parts to work as intended, until it's fixed.

@ferram4

I know you're busy, and lots of people are chomping at the bit for the release of FAR, but... any chance KJR can get a little love soon? I really miss its full functionality, but I also really want to be able to have flexible joints, particularly with the Feline Utility Rover.

Thanks for all you do, regardless.

Edited by FirroSeranel

• 2 months later...

Question/poll: how much effect does KJR have on your framerate?  At what rig specs? Example:

Intel E5-2690 2.9-3.8GHz, 16GB RAM, GTX780

300-part plane on runway and in flight (six A300s linked in one airsnake).  Stock:50-35fps.  With KJR: 31-12fps.  Flying Aeris3A - 60fps either way.

Same thing in 1.1.3 (just a bit slower overall).  Another interesting observation about stock 1.1.3 that I completely forgot - the joints flex a lot less compared to 1.2.2 with rigid attachment enabled on all parts (no autostruts, as they tend to twist and warp my ships - quite literally - after prolonged timewarp)!  Almost feels like I do not need KJR there... almost, and that is only true for light planes, not for heavy rockets or SSTOs.

@ferram4: is that normal?  Also, are there any plans for KJR-lite, something that just takes care of the Kraken (if that is even needed since 1.2) and tweaks stock settings instead of going full-bore with proper connection recalculations? I can live with some flex but not with 12 fps ()and yet cannot live without KJR in 1.2.2), and 300 part count is not uncommon for my stations and IP missions... 

Of course there are also issues in general with how KPS handles active mods (slowing game down noticeably for large vessels for mods that should not depends on part count at all, such as EVE, Kopernicus packs or even utilities such as KAC), but that is a subject of a whole different thread.

Edited by Tau137

I've been trying to run a 1.2.2 build off the github source, but am not having any luck. I put the files it called for (Assembly-CSharp.dll, UnityEngine.dll, UnityEngine.UI.dll) in the same folder as KerbalJointReinforcement.sln and tried to build it as I've done with other mods, but it's still saying it can't find them. anyone able to help figure out how to get it to build while we wait for ferram to get a proper update out?

1 hour ago, colfighter said:

How do I use this with infernal robotics? The joints just lock up and won't do anything

It's supposed to be disabled on IR parts.  I guess that stopped working at some point.

@ferram4 I would like to edit the config file to reduce the wing strength while keeping the stack strengthening.  I am able to pull 25Gs without the wings breaking off.  I looked at the readme on github but I didn't see anything addressing wings.

I think I fixed IR compatibility without bringing along many of the side effects current workarounds bring.

I implemented gomker's suggestion in this issue and made a pull request with the implemented suggestion. Basically, the plugin acts like multiPartAttachNodeReinforcement is 0 for exempted parts (defined in the config file), but acts like it's set to 1 for other parts. 

For me, it works as well as I expected it to, there's that IR wobble on the hinges, but hey it moves! If you want to get it, go here, download a .zip of the repository, and extract GameData/KerbalJointReinforcement into KSP's GameData. Please test it if you have the time, I'd rather know if I've made a big broken mess sooner.

EDIT: Took it down after some concerns were voiced about ferram's tolerance of custom dlls. If you are already using the custom dll, DO NOT BUG FERRAM ABOUT THE PROBLEMS IT MIGHT CAUSE.

Edited by CrayzeeMonkey

On 5/15/2017 at 3:03 AM, CrayzeeMonkey said:

I think I fixed IR compatibility without bringing along many of the side effects current workarounds bring.

I implemented gomker's suggestion in this issue and made a pull request with the implemented suggestion. Basically, the plugin acts like multiPartAttachNodeReinforcement is 0 for exempted parts (defined in the config file), but acts like it's set to 1 for other parts. 

For me, it works as well as I expected it to, there's that IR wobble on the hinges, but hey it moves! If you want to get it, go here, download a .zip of the repository, and extract GameData/KerbalJointReinforcement into KSP's GameData. Please test it if you have the time, I'd rather know if I've made a big broken mess sooner.

Thank you for taking the time to make an alternative fix, I'll test it soon :)

I was having issues with a vessel intended to launch from my Extraplanetary Launchpads supported base on Pol, land on Laythe, and return to Kerbin.  It was based on a similar design that had successfully done a mission from Gilly to Eve and back to Kerbin, but that mission had gotten off the surface of Eve before KSP 1.2 came out.  The vessel for the Laythe landing mission was unable to stay on node during the Cis-Laythe Injection (and was even having difficulty with its orbit establishment burn).  I began to suspect that wobbly joints were to blame, possibly related to a change made during KSP 1.2 or one of the two minor patches since.  Even some tests involving autostruts failed to solve my problem, so I figured this mod was the next thing I should try.

After installing KJR 3.3.1 and returning to my base on Pol, I found that my vessel can stay on node better than ever, and I have now successfully performed the Cis-Laythe Injection, which was virtually impossible before.  I suspect that my other vessels will now be able to fly straighter than ever before, eliminating any navigation error due to wobble and saving me having to redo several maneuvers due to missing a target (such as a celestial object's Hill Sphere).  I also suspect I will have less risk of a Kraken while performing tasks at one of my EL supported bases (which also involve KAS winches).  While this mod would have been required for a possible future RSS campaign, I would certainly recommend it even for campaigns in the Kerbol system.  This is especially true in cases where a rhino engine is to be used for a 2nd stage or higher (as is typical for my crafts), as I have found that an interstage joint involving a rhino engine is especially prone to wobble.

I have a similar problem on another part.  I assume it is KJR any way.    I have a mod installed "Lynx Rover"  it has some "bendable" trailer hitch things to articulate longer rovers etc.   and they do not bend.    I am assuming this is due to KJR.  Would it be possible to have a tweakable in the editor to tell KJR to ignore a part, so it would allow the bending parts?  and make any future things like this be easier to deal with?

The modders are always swamped when a new release comes out.

Chill, and they will get to it when they have time, and if they want to.

Bugging or pressing them only causes grief.

They are a great bunch of people that need their space.

so kick back and play / test / crash multiple craft with all of the other greatness that is available for now.

in a few ?? things will most likely be caught up and back to norm, what ever norm is.

cheers.