[1.3] Kerbal Joint Reinforcement v3.3.3 7/24/17

ferram4

8 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Yes, but I would assume the license would be the same, since it is the same mod.

it's specified in the rules that the license must be in the download file. So if you're going to have him package the DLL into a .zip to include the source might as well toss the license in too and be all proper :)

(I know I went off a bit on the TRR thread for related reasons but afterwards remembered the moderators requesting that we leave moderation to them, so never jumped on this raw DLL offering. If anyone has a problem with the raw DLL being available, report the post)

Edited by Drew Kerman

49 minutes ago, matthew3181 said:

I hate to be this guy but. Update!!!??!!??!

@matthew3181 Then don't be... all requests for updates can result in you being banned from the forums, mods get updated when or if the Author wants to some due to RL stuff never get updated others just take a while and you have to learn to be patient or play something else.

Or learn the code and work out how to do it your self.

I know the above may sound blunt or even rude but a lot of mod authors have stopped making there creations public due to people constantly badgering them for updates.

On 6/2/2017 at 8:56 PM, siimav said:

So there's been quite a bit of requests for my 1.3 recompile. And there's also the issue that the forum does not allow sending private messages to others unless you have 5+ posts. I'll just leave a public link to it here now. If Ferram himself or any of the mods feel offended by it, just let me know and I'll remove it ASAP.

Once again, this is an unofficial release and is in no way supported by the author of this mod. Download and use it at your own risk.

KerbalJointReinforcement.dll

-------------------------------------------------

To get any of the legal stuff out of the way - here's the download link to source code + licence.

Updated previous post and added link to download source code along with licence. The dll download link is still valid.

I would hope that in the event a mod maker determines that he or she is unable and/or unwilling to continue maintaining a mod, the mod maker would post a message to this effect to the thread of the affected mod, so users of the mod know that further updates will not be coming.  Mods sometimes change hands: I am aware of at least one other mod doing so at the request of the original mod maker.  Such an event would surely be accompanied by a message from at least one of the individuals involved.  In the absence of any messages indicating either of these scenarios, we can only assume that ferram4 is continuing to work on updating KJR, but is being delayed by RL issues, is having a particularly difficult time of it this time around, is giving priority to another mod for which he is responsible, or some combination of these.

There are numerous reasons why a mod maker may be particularly silent on the forums during this time.  It could be an effect of RL issues, but it could also be the result of a decision to redirect the time that would be used for making forum posts to updating the mod, or some other reason entirely.  Many of us surely find this situation frustrating, especially for those who cannot advance as they had planned without the functionality of KJR, those for whom this is the last mod they are waiting on to update, those who have tried an unofficial solution (such as the one siimav is offering) and found that it did not work, and those who consider unofficial solutions too risky.  However, it should also be noted that finishing a patch for a mod and releasing it only to then have a major patch to KSP come out 2-3 days afterward could be frustrating for the mod maker, and ferram4 was indeed this unlucky this time around.  We can only hope for an update soon, or at least for word on what the situation is (and hope it is not the bad news I mentioned in the first paragraph).

2 hours ago, Kwarazi said:

@matthew3181 Then don't be... all requests for updates can result in you being banned from the forums,

Whoah now, let's not be that harsh, eh? We don't threaten to ban people from the forum just because they ask for an update, that would be pretty harsh. 

But it's true that we discourage people from pestering for updates for the reasons you gave. Remember this is free stuff, @matthew3181. We can't pester people to give us free stuff :)

Just now, goldenpsp said:

Unlike you I won't spam this in all of the threads.  Don't be "that guy"

I am simply notifying the makers of my favorite mods to keep them up to date so my game doesn't crash from too many incompatible addons so I hope you can see my reasoning I just want to get back into the game but I cant do that if even 1 of my subscribed mods is outdated because the incompatibility will make the game crash before the menu

8 minutes ago, mindseyemodels said:

I am simply notifying the makers of my favorite mods to keep them up to date so my game doesn't crash from too many incompatible addons so I hope you can see my reasoning I just want to get back into the game but I cant do that if even 1 of my subscribed mods is outdated because the incompatibility will make the game crash before the menu

there's an unofficial update posted somewhere in the past few pages

Also, please don't go to 10 threads and say "update required". Us modders work for free because we enjoy it and we are nice enough to share our work with everyone. Saying something as rude as "update required" can and has made people quit kill their mods/quit modding completely. I get that you want your mods to be updated but you're doing it the wrong way. Take a minute or two, read the thread, see if the modder is still around, and then say something like "Hey I really love this mod, are you planning to update it to the newest ksp version?"

@mindseyemodels you should always be aware that with every KSP update chances are high that a mod breaks and can't get back to work. There is no guarantee that you can continue playing after an update if you have a modded game. Due to this reason I always do a full backup of my KSP dir before it is getting updated so I can still play (which I currently do on 1.2.2) while I wait for the mods to work again with 1.3.0/1.3.1.

And when some mods can't get back to work or the modder stops working on them you have to start again - so far already started 3 times from scratch in the past 2 years :)

• 3 weeks later...

On 6/30/2017 at 9:40 PM, mindseyemodels said:

Well, it's only required if you choose to use KSP 1.3 to progress your game. Or to put it succinctly because everyone else is being really nice - the modders aren't our personal programmers and don't owe us anything.

I hope you can see the reasoning when it's like saying "Hey dude, fix these free (and most excellent) earphones you gave me because they don't work when I jog in the rain - they work just fine when i'm jogging in good weather but I choose to jog in the rain now because it's a new experience. 'Kthnxbyeee".  It comes off as really rude, much more so than the expanded example above.

The simple solution, if you are as motivated as you make out for MOAR boosters, is by continuing in KSP 1.2.2 (roll it back on Steam).  Simpler still,  progress in 1.3 without this mod by simply deleting it. Which involves the same/less typing and clicks than finding the correct forum for "update required".

Unfortunately, the new compile isn't working for me - but the stock  "easing in physics" settings option and advance tweakables -"autostrut" should help until KJR returns. 

1 hour ago, Weywot8 said:

the stock  "easing in physics" settings option and advance tweakables -"autostrut" should help until KJR returns. 

"Easing" works 98% of the time - once in a while my payload gets slammed into the stack and topples in glorious explosions! :cool:

The "autostrut" feature though stopped my space station from killing itself after it got a bit longisher and started swaying. :o

Is it generally a good idea to have a very heavy/the heaviest part roughly in the (mass) center and strut other heavier parts around it to the heaviest part? Or will strutting work equally well either way?

@KerbMav, as far as I can remember , KJR auto-strutted everything to the root part in some way, eased physics and probably rigid-ified joints. Great for tall rockets, not so great for asymmetrical , branching structures like space stations. I've found "strut to grandparent" a pretty safe compromise in most instances, at the outer ends of a station. Parts with an unbroken line of sight/"strut line" through the physical structure to the heaviest part can be auto-strutted to the heaviest part as that gives very little distortion.  Everything else is is kinda 'figure it out' as we go along. 

The debug menu "show autostrut" option helps visualize what parts you need to release from the generic strut to heaviest/COM, especially after docking big now parts to a station.

8 hours ago, Weywot8 said:

@KerbMav, as far as I can remember , KJR auto-strutted everything to the root part in some way, eased physics and probably rigid-ified joints. Great for tall rockets, not so great for asymmetrical , branching structures like space stations. I've found "strut to grandparent" a pretty safe compromise in most instances, at the outer ends of a station. Parts with an unbroken line of sight/"strut line" through the physical structure to the heaviest part can be auto-strutted to the heaviest part as that gives very little distortion.  Everything else is is kinda 'figure it out' as we go along. 

The debug menu "show autostrut" option helps visualize what parts you need to release from the generic strut to heaviest/COM, especially after docking big now parts to a station.

Strut to grandparent tends to work best for me, with the occasional strut to centre or heaviest, for outliers.  KJR does a lot more than autostruts though.  It changes the way rigidity/strength scales.  In stock KSP, as your craft gets bigger, it gets floppier, even if your parts are getting bigger as well.  KJR seems to aim for a more realistic scaling instead of scaling for laughs.  How it works internally, I have no idea. :D But it works.

I already tried autostrut for my Laythe landing mission, and it did not help.  KJR is what was allowing that mission to get through its initial burns to the point where enough weigh had been lost that it was not needed.  Although I did have an iteration of this mission beyond that point when 1.3 was released, I was forced to revert to a save just prior to starting its construction (I am using Extraplanetary Launchpads as well), due to having insufficient parachutes on that version of the craft to land on Laythe without taking unacceptable damage (I also have somewhat of an "expendable shock absorber" on the bottom of the craft for lithobraking, but without more parachutes, it does not provide sufficient protection).

Believe it or not, complaining that something needs an update doesn't make it update faster.  In any case, my attention has been slightly distracted by real life, then FAR, so I haven't focused on this quite as much.

I do have a working build of KJR together, the only thing delaying a release is that there were some reports of IR compatibility issues that I wanted to be sure were taken care of, and it seems like they are.  I'll see about getting the info right and getting an official version out in a day or two.