[1.3] Kerbal Joint Reinforcement v3.3.3 7/24/17

ferram4

It takes the mod authors up to two weeks after a release to get updates out  i always stay on the last version for two weeks before I consider playing the new release, if your on steam you can roll back, bear in mind also that the DLC is about to drop so the Mod guys might be waiting to see what the out come of that is before updating just be patient they will get to it .

8 hours ago, TyrannoFan said:

Just use the stock invisible struts feature while you wait for the KJR update. No more spaghetti rockets. :)

Sadly that is not a true replacement for this mod. Yes, that invisible strut functionality does make a rocket less spaghetti-like. But what it doesn't help about is when you come off rails and physics is loaded. I have a savegame for a spaceplane that is on approach to runway that magically loses it's wings when game gets loaded and physics is applied. That specific plane actually did fly to orbit successfully and would probably have also landed nicely if I wouldn't have re-loaded the game. That same savegame also contains a Munar base that shakes itself to bits when switching to that vessel.

KJR is able to fix both of these scenarios because it makes all joints orders of a magnitude stronger when coming off rails.

14 hours ago, Virtualgenius said:

It takes the mod authors up to two weeks after a release to ....

Considering there's a release of 1.4.1 planned for one week after 1.4.0, it would seem prudent for mod authors to not spend much effort updating to 1.4.0.  It's likely the not a big difference between those two versions, some bug fixes etc.  But anyone who's spent time diagnosing an issue in one area to find it was a big elsewhere knows that you wait for the core bug fixes before addressing what's wrong with an add-on.

That said, some add-ons just needed recompiling, so no real effort there. I suspect KJR will need more work than that.

8 minutes ago, TiktaalikDreaming said:

Considering there's a release of 1.4.1 planned for one week after 1.4.0, it would seem prudent for mod authors to not spend much effort updating to 1.4.0.  It's likely the not a big difference between those two versions, some bug fixes etc.  But anyone who's spent time diagnosing an issue in one area to find it was a big elsewhere knows that you wait for the core bug fixes before addressing what's wrong with an add-on.

That said, some add-ons just needed recompiling, so no real effort there. I suspect KJR will need more work than that.

Can confirm that KJR is working in 1.4 after updating one line in code that checks the game version and doing a recompile with updated game DLLs.

On 3/12/2018 at 7:08 PM, siimav said:

Can confirm that KJR is working in 1.4 after updating one line in code that checks the game version and doing a recompile with updated game DLLs.

If you're going to do this, please at least don't post about it. People did that for Kopernicus, everything seemed fine, then people's saves started breaking.

19 minutes ago, TheUnamusedFox said:

If you're going to do this, please at least don't post about it. People did that for Kopernicus, everything seemed fine, then people's saves started breaking.

I must ask, why not? Unless it's prohibited by the mod's license - it's clear to me that you do this at your own risk, so why not allow people to share their tests and insights?

5 hours ago, TheUnamusedFox said:

But it's not like he posted a link to download his re-compile. He's just letting people know that you can update KJR yourself, if you know how to re-compile.

If you recompile it yourself you cant expect support from the author, its always best to wait for the author to update the mod, then if it breaks you have support providing you supplied the logs required. Rogue installs are a moders worst nightmare 1.4.1 just released so there will be a gap will the authors update.

22 minutes ago, Derb said:

What software did you use to compile?

Monodevelop or Visual Studio should work fine, I have recompiled ferrams mods with the former on several occasions.
Don't report bugs in or provide for download any modified builds of course.

12 hours ago, Derb said:

I must ask, why not? Unless it's prohibited by the mod's license - it's clear to me that you do this at your own risk, so why not allow people to share their tests and insights?

I don't see a problem saying that it can be done, (though obviously ferram4 may overrule me here) but it's not a good idea to make it too easy, otherwise people who lack the skill and judgement to file (or not file) useful bug reports will start using it and create support problems for the author. It's not a licence thing, it's a "don't poke the bears" and "common courtesy" thing.
Nobody wants to have to deal with users complaining "I followed J. Random's instructions, and your mod ate my cat", or a storm of bug reports for a mess someone else made.

Edited by steve_v

2 hours ago, steve_v said:

I don't see a problem saying that it can be done, (though obviously ferram4 may overrule me here) but it's not a good idea to make it too easy, otherwise people who lack the skill and judgement to file (or not file) useful bug reports will start using it and create support problems for the author. It's not a licence thing, it's a "don't poke the bears" and "common courtesy" thing.
Nobody wants to have to deal with users complaining "I followed J. Random's instructions, and your mod ate my cat", or a storm of bug reports for a mess someone else made.

Well stated, I see your point. I've personally recompiled several mods in the past, but always knew that they would be unsupported. It never occurred to me that someone would request support for a personal recompile.

7 hours ago, leatherneck6017 said:

Well stated, I see your point. I've personally recompiled several mods in the past, but always knew that they would be unsupported. It never occurred to me that someone would request support for a personal recompile.

The problems usually start when someone posts a download link to a personal recompile.  I don't think I've seen anyone who's personally compiled a mod of someone else's raise bug reports for it.

On ‎14‎.‎03‎.‎2018 at 11:54 PM, TiktaalikDreaming said:

The problems usually start when someone posts a download link to a personal recompile.  I don't think I've seen anyone who's personally compiled a mod of someone else's raise bug reports for it.

I do provide support for recompiles I made :wink:

so I made a recompile of this with visual studio... it built just fine against 1.4, but... sadly still doesn't work.  Things still fall apart.  So, unfortunately, no fast easy recompile-fix for this one for 1.4 :(

4 hours ago, ss8913 said:

so I made a recompile of this with visual studio... it built just fine against 1.4, but... sadly still doesn't work.  Things still fall apart.  So, unfortunately, no fast easy recompile-fix for this one for 1.4 :(

Did you fix line 67 in CompatibilityChecker?