[1.3] Kerbal Joint Reinforcement v3.3.3 7/24/17

ferram4

On 5/16/2018 at 10:14 AM, glibbo said:

Hi, it doesn't seem to be working for me, do I need anything else other than the downloaded file?  KJR v3.4.1 p1

I really need this mod to continue with my plane not breaking on the runway....

KSP 143 windows 7x64

This is the one I'm using on 1.4.3: [Download link removed by moderator]

Edited by Snark
Download link removed by moderator

3 hours ago, Mathrilord said:

Can it be switched on/off in game for testing purpose?

if you are interested in doing those tests (and I would appreciate this if someone would do them), then I can build you a version that would allow to activate and deactivate the options in the game... as well as activating the analyzer tool (show's the struts like KSP shows the active struts if you activate the option)... tell me and I'll build it

... ah, forget it. I will build this version and report when it's ready.

Edited by Rudolf Meier

• 2 weeks later...

For those who want to see what KJR does (the optimized version I made), can download a special version here [Download link removed by moderator]

In the "KJR"-menu you can select the joints you want to see and you can also turn on and off the joints (but this would need a sceen change to take effect). Oh and one thing about the autostrut bug in KSP. KSP is sometimes adding autostruts even when you don't want them. E.g. when you do have landing legs. To show them also, you need to open the KJR menu and press the "apply" button once after opening a scene. ... the darker part of the joint is the origin, the brighter one is the body to which the origin is connected to.

I hope this helps all those who want to figure out why the frame rates are dropping. If you do have a ship with strange configurations/joints, then send me a picture and I'll analyze it.

Edited by Snark

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/2/2018 at 4:07 PM, Rudolf Meier said:

For those who want to see what KJR does (the optimized version I made), can download a special version here [Download link removed by moderator]

In the "KJR"-menu you can select the joints you want to see and you can also turn on and off the joints (but this would need a sceen change to take effect). Oh and one thing about the autostrut bug in KSP. KSP is sometimes adding autostruts even when you don't want them. E.g. when you do have landing legs. To show them also, you need to open the KJR menu and press the "apply" button once after opening a scene. ... the darker part of the joint is the origin, the brighter one is the body to which the origin is connected to.

I hope this helps all those who want to figure out why the frame rates are dropping. If you do have a ship with strange configurations/joints, then send me a picture and I'll analyze it.

Neat! I actually get to see the lines. I have a question though, and it comes with how this mod plays with Infernal Robotics in 1.4.3, and I have included a screenshot here:

https://imgur.com/5M7z5eY 

https://imgur.com/ebuhc4L

Now, in that image, the top wing is connected by a rotary bearing, and the side tail parts are connected by hinges. Is there any way for KJR to take into account the rotation and translation provided by the joints/bearings, or is this the sort of impossible thing that just cannot be done? Because to me it looks like any part that had a green line through it (top wing and rear tail joints) should be able to check whether or not there is some form of rotation or translation that is applied to connected parts... Or I could have no idea what I am on about. 

I'll have to ask the maintainer of infernal robotics... In Fact... Cross-posted.

Edited by Snark

Hello all. I'm having an issue and based on refining my installed mods, I'm wondering if the latest version of KJR for KSP 1.4.3 may be causing explosions when I attempt to dock craft. Of course there could be other interactions, but testing without KJR or anything that affects parts, there are no explosions. Add back KJR, and explosions.

I'm using KJR from the version above: [Download link removed by moderator]

Here's a snippet of my specific log during this test from when I attempted to dock. First, I docked the original Test Drone (noted as StPorts) then undocked, moved forward to redock, and bang.

[LOG 13:57:09.165] Docking to vessel Test Drones StPorts
[LOG 13:57:09.167] Something has docked to the active vessel. Waiting for LateUpdate...
[LOG 13:57:09.171] Camera Mode: AUTO
[LOG 13:57:09.177] Setting camera pivot to the new CoM.
[LOG 13:57:09.212] Trajectories: Initializing cache
[LOG 13:57:09.744] Reference Frame: Rotating
[LOG 13:57:15.764] Trajectories: Initializing cache
[LOG 13:57:15.768] [ModularFlightIntegrator] MFI Start
[LOG 13:57:15.768] [ModularFlightIntegrator] Start. VesselModule on vessel : 
  ModularFlightIntegrator
  BetterBurnTimeData
  CommNetVessel

[LOG 13:57:15.786] [F: 11774]: dockingPort2 collided into dockingPort2 - relative velocity: 0.1208398 - impact momentum: 0.0
[LOG 13:57:15.787] dockingPort2 Exploded!! - blast awesomeness: 0.5
[LOG 13:57:15.794] [dockingPort2]: Deactivated
[LOG 13:57:15.799] [ModularFlightIntegrator] MFI Start
[LOG 13:57:15.799] [ModularFlightIntegrator] Start. VesselModule on vessel : 
  ModularFlightIntegrator
  BetterBurnTimeData
  CommNetVessel

[WRN 13:57:15.804] [DockingNode]: other node is null!
[LOG 13:57:15.815] 1 explosions created.

As a control, without KJR and the same mods loaded, I can dock the standard ports and large ports no problem.

I'm wondering if anyone has experienced explosions of parts when attempting to dock? This actually also affects the other parts on my test craft. It seems just bumping into them causes major explosions.

For reference, here's the rest of my mods:

Spoiler

Alternate Resource Panel (AlternateResourcePanel v2.9.3.0)
AutoAsparagus (AutoAsparagus 1:v2.2.11)
BetterBurnTime (BetterBurnTime 1.6.1)
BetterTimeWarpContinued (BetterTimeWarpCont 2.3.10.1)
ClickThrough Blocker (ClickThroughBlocker 0.1.6.5)
Community Resource Pack (CommunityResourcePack 0.10.0.0)
Community Terrain Texture Pack (CommunityTerrainTexturePack 1:1.0.3)
Community Trait Icons (CommunityTraitIcons v1.0.0)
Distant Object Enhancement (DistantObject v1.9.1)
Distant Object Enhancement default config (DistantObject-default v1.9.1)
Docking Port Alignment Indicator (DockingPortAlignmentIndicator 6.8.2)
Easy Vessel Switch (EVS) (EasyVesselSwitch 1.6)
Editor Extensions Redux (EditorExtensionsRedux 3.3.19.3)
Environmental Visual Enhancements (EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements 2:EVE-1.4.2-2)
Environmental Visual Enhancements - Stock Planet Config files (EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements-HR 2:EVE-1.2.2-1)
HangerExtender (HangerExtenderExtended 3.5.3.2)
HyperEdit (HyperEdit 1.5.6.0)
Interstellar Fuel Switch (InterstellarFuelSwitch 3.6)
Interstellar Fuel Switch Core (InterstellarFuelSwitch-Core 3.6)
Kerbal Alarm Clock (KerbalAlarmClock v3.9.1.0)
Kerbal Engineer Redux (KerbalEngineerRedux 1.1.5.2)
Kopernicus Planetary System Modifier (Kopernicus 2:release-1.4.3-2)
KSP AVC (KSP-AVC 1.2.0.2)
MechJeb 2 (MechJeb2 2.7.3.0)
MechJeb and Engineer for all! (MechJebForAll 1.3.0.2)
ModularFlightIntegrator (ModularFlightIntegrator 1.2.5.0)
Module Manager (ModuleManager 3.0.7)
Outer Planets Mod (OuterPlanetsMod 2:2.2.1)
Patch Manager (PatchManager 0.0.16)
PlanetShine (PlanetShine 0.2.6.1)
PlanetShine - Default configuration (PlanetShine-Config-Default 0.2.6.1)
Portrait Stats (PortraitStats 17.0)
Precise Node (PreciseNode 1.2.9.1)
RCS Build Aid Continued (RCSBuildAidCont 0.9.7.1)
scatterer (Scatterer 2:v0.0331b)
scatterer - default config (Scatterer-config 2:v0.0331b)
scatterer - sunflare (Scatterer-sunflare 2:v0.0331b)
SmartStage (SmartStage 1:2.9.11)
TAC Fuel Balancer (TacFuelBalancer v2.18)
The Janitor's Closet (JanitorsCloset 0.3.4.1)
Toolbar Controller (ToolbarController 1:0.1.6.10)
Transfer Window Planner (TransferWindowPlanner v1.6.3.0)

UPDATE:

After more testing, I thought I'd try using the KJR file that was provided for 1.4.2: [Download link removed by moderator]

Same set of tests, but no explosions this time. So probably a) using the 1.4.3 version with my mod configuration or b) using the 1.4.3 version and there's some random bug in there?

Anyway, would love to hear if anyone else had these kinds of issues?

Edited by Snark

On 6/22/2018 at 12:05 PM, scottadges said:

Hello all. I'm having an issue and based on refining my installed mods, I'm wondering if the latest version of KJR for KSP 1.4.3 may be causing explosions when I attempt to dock craft. Of course there could be other interactions, but testing without KJR or anything that affects parts, there are no explosions. Add back KJR, and explosions.

I'm using KJR from the version above: [Download link removed by moderator]

Here's a snippet of my specific log during this test from when I attempted to dock. First, I docked the original Test Drone (noted as StPorts) then undocked, moved forward to redock, and bang.

[LOG 13:57:09.165] Docking to vessel Test Drones StPorts
[LOG 13:57:09.167] Something has docked to the active vessel. Waiting for LateUpdate...
[LOG 13:57:09.171] Camera Mode: AUTO
[LOG 13:57:09.177] Setting camera pivot to the new CoM.
[LOG 13:57:09.212] Trajectories: Initializing cache
[LOG 13:57:09.744] Reference Frame: Rotating
[LOG 13:57:15.764] Trajectories: Initializing cache
[LOG 13:57:15.768] [ModularFlightIntegrator] MFI Start
[LOG 13:57:15.768] [ModularFlightIntegrator] Start. VesselModule on vessel : 
  ModularFlightIntegrator
  BetterBurnTimeData
  CommNetVessel

[LOG 13:57:15.786] [F: 11774]: dockingPort2 collided into dockingPort2 - relative velocity: 0.1208398 - impact momentum: 0.0
[LOG 13:57:15.787] dockingPort2 Exploded!! - blast awesomeness: 0.5
[LOG 13:57:15.794] [dockingPort2]: Deactivated
[LOG 13:57:15.799] [ModularFlightIntegrator] MFI Start
[LOG 13:57:15.799] [ModularFlightIntegrator] Start. VesselModule on vessel : 
  ModularFlightIntegrator
  BetterBurnTimeData
  CommNetVessel

[WRN 13:57:15.804] [DockingNode]: other node is null!
[LOG 13:57:15.815] 1 explosions created.

As a control, without KJR and the same mods loaded, I can dock the standard ports and large ports no problem.

I'm wondering if anyone has experienced explosions of parts when attempting to dock? This actually also affects the other parts on my test craft. It seems just bumping into them causes major explosions.

For reference, here's the rest of my mods:

Hide contents

Alternate Resource Panel (AlternateResourcePanel v2.9.3.0)
AutoAsparagus (AutoAsparagus 1:v2.2.11)
BetterBurnTime (BetterBurnTime 1.6.1)
BetterTimeWarpContinued (BetterTimeWarpCont 2.3.10.1)
ClickThrough Blocker (ClickThroughBlocker 0.1.6.5)
Community Resource Pack (CommunityResourcePack 0.10.0.0)
Community Terrain Texture Pack (CommunityTerrainTexturePack 1:1.0.3)
Community Trait Icons (CommunityTraitIcons v1.0.0)
Distant Object Enhancement (DistantObject v1.9.1)
Distant Object Enhancement default config (DistantObject-default v1.9.1)
Docking Port Alignment Indicator (DockingPortAlignmentIndicator 6.8.2)
Easy Vessel Switch (EVS) (EasyVesselSwitch 1.6)
Editor Extensions Redux (EditorExtensionsRedux 3.3.19.3)
Environmental Visual Enhancements (EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements 2:EVE-1.4.2-2)
Environmental Visual Enhancements - Stock Planet Config files (EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements-HR 2:EVE-1.2.2-1)
HangerExtender (HangerExtenderExtended 3.5.3.2)
HyperEdit (HyperEdit 1.5.6.0)
Interstellar Fuel Switch (InterstellarFuelSwitch 3.6)
Interstellar Fuel Switch Core (InterstellarFuelSwitch-Core 3.6)
Kerbal Alarm Clock (KerbalAlarmClock v3.9.1.0)
Kerbal Engineer Redux (KerbalEngineerRedux 1.1.5.2)
Kopernicus Planetary System Modifier (Kopernicus 2:release-1.4.3-2)
KSP AVC (KSP-AVC 1.2.0.2)
MechJeb 2 (MechJeb2 2.7.3.0)
MechJeb and Engineer for all! (MechJebForAll 1.3.0.2)
ModularFlightIntegrator (ModularFlightIntegrator 1.2.5.0)
Module Manager (ModuleManager 3.0.7)
Outer Planets Mod (OuterPlanetsMod 2:2.2.1)
Patch Manager (PatchManager 0.0.16)
PlanetShine (PlanetShine 0.2.6.1)
PlanetShine - Default configuration (PlanetShine-Config-Default 0.2.6.1)
Portrait Stats (PortraitStats 17.0)
Precise Node (PreciseNode 1.2.9.1)
RCS Build Aid Continued (RCSBuildAidCont 0.9.7.1)
scatterer (Scatterer 2:v0.0331b)
scatterer - default config (Scatterer-config 2:v0.0331b)
scatterer - sunflare (Scatterer-sunflare 2:v0.0331b)
SmartStage (SmartStage 1:2.9.11)
TAC Fuel Balancer (TacFuelBalancer v2.18)
The Janitor's Closet (JanitorsCloset 0.3.4.1)
Toolbar Controller (ToolbarController 1:0.1.6.10)
Transfer Window Planner (TransferWindowPlanner v1.6.3.0)

UPDATE:

After more testing, I thought I'd try using the KJR file that was provided for 1.4.2: [Download link removed by moderator]

Same set of tests, but no explosions this time. So probably a) using the 1.4.3 version with my mod configuration or b) using the 1.4.3 version and there's some random bug in there?

Anyway, would love to hear if anyone else had these kinds of issues?

Well,  I also experience this, especially with big parts ( seems due floating point error from my last log )

I will try with KJR for 1.4.2 :)

Edited by Snark

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/23/2018 at 10:31 AM, SancthuaryID said:

Well,  I also experience this, especially with big parts ( seems due floating point error from my last log )

I will try with KJR for 1.4.2 :)

The code for the 1.4.3dbg version is not available on Github.  I would offhand say that it's a bug in his debug code, since the 1.4.2 works fine

31 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

The code for the 1.4.3dbg version is not available on Github.  I would offhand say that it's a bug in his debug code, since the 1.4.2 works fine

I'll check that...

... sorry that I didn't react earlier. I had too much work.

And thanks all for testing and the feedbacks.

On 6/2/2018 at 4:07 PM, Rudolf Meier said:

You do know that you are supposed to provide the source for everything you put links here for?  While you do have the source for  your 1.4.2 version, you don't seem to have put up the code (even in a git branch) for this dbg version.  Since people have been having problems with it, would have been nice to be able to look at the code to see what was going on

Edited by Snark

I'm working on something... and I will release it, when it's done...

for now, I've a new debug version online [Download link removed by moderator]

... currently no source. Should be ready soon.

About the new debug version: it fixes some NullPointerException problems and this should also fix the explosions after undocking (at least I didn't see them anymore ...). Plus: it can now also activate the visibility of the autostruts.

Edited by Snark

Come on guys, let's be excellent to each other.

Even if I toggle everything off in the KJR menu this mod had seemed to break infernal robotics. Any suggestions?

Does your new release solve this and/or am I doing something wrong?

Edited by The_Joe

Hi folks,

A whole bunch of content has gotten pruned out of this thread, due to an off-topic digression into arguing about add-on posting rules.  Folks, there's nothing wrong with talking about rules and stuff, but this is a thread for this particular mod.  This is not the correct place for such a general discussion of rules.  Also, while there's nothing wrong with discussing the rules in an appropriate venue (i.e. not this thread), please let's stay away from yes-you-did, no-I-didn't bickering over whether a rule has been broken.  The arbiters of the rules here are the moderators, so please leave the finger-wagging to us, okay?  :)

Key takeaway points here:

• If you're posting any add-ons,  please follow the add-on rules.  Unfortunately, we've had to snip @Rudolf Meier's download link here, because it didn't.  (More on this below.)
  • If you see someone whom you believe is breaking a rule, please don't try to enforce the rules yourself, or get into an argument with anyone over what the rules are.  Instead, if you observe what you believe to be a rules violation, just report the post and do not otherwise engage.  That will ping the moderator team, and we will take a look as soon as possible, and we'll sort out anything that may need sorting out.  It's what we're for.  Getting into endless rules arguments helps no one and gets in the way of all the innocent bystanders who come to this thread wanting practical info about the mod.

With that in mind, a few words about the proximate event that triggered the entire conversation:

On 7/8/2018 at 4:15 PM, Rudolf Meier said:

I'm working on something... and I will release it, when it's done...

for now, I've a new debug version online [Download link removed by moderator]

... currently no source. Should be ready soon.

About the new debug version: it fixes some NullPointerException problems and this should also fix the explosions after undocking (at least I didn't see them anymore ...). Plus: it can now also activate the visibility of the autostruts.

@Rudolf Meier, thank you for being public-spirited and trying to help your fellow KSPers by working on fixes.  I expect that as far as you're concerned, you're not "posting a mod", you're simply giving a sneak-peek of a "work in progress" that people can try out if they want.  Right?

There's nothing wrong with wanting to do that... but there are, alas, certain hoops that have to be jumped through, if you want to post such a thing publicly here.  Yes, it's a hassle.  Yes, it makes things less convenient to you.  Yes, it's even possible that the tedious hoop-jumping may discourage you from posting helpful things for fellow KSPers (though we hope it doesn't).  Unfortunately, though... the rules are there.  There are various good reasons why the rules are there, and everyone has to follow them.

Specific things that are at issue here:

• Need to post source code
  • Licensing / copyright requirements

Additional details in spoiler section.

Spoiler

Need to post source code

The add-on rules require that any posted add-on that includes compiled code must include a link to the source code.  Therefore,

On 7/8/2018 at 4:15 PM, Rudolf Meier said:

currently no source. Should be ready soon

^ this is not okay.  If you've taken a mod, and made any changes at all to the source code and re-compiled it... you can't post the compiled thing here unless you also post the source code that it was built from.

This means that you cannot, for example, post a temporary debug please-try-this-out build for anyone where you're just posting a zip file.  The source code has to be there.  Everyone has to follow that rule, and there are no exceptions.  Yes, that means it could be inconvenient to anyone whose working habits (i.e. way of moving code around, building stuff, etc.) are such that it's not easy for them to publish the code for a particular build... but them's the rules.  So either you need to do that, or else you need to not post compiled things here.

So if you want to post a released mod with compiled code... you need to post the source code, too, so that anyone who wants to can examine the code and build your mod themselves if they are so inclined.

Licensing / copyright requirements

Every mod posted here is required to have a license.  It needs to include the license in the downloaded binary (e.g. included in the zip file), and it also needs to post the license publicly at the download location.

Furthermore, if you're posting something that's derived from someone else's work-- e.g. you take someone else's mod, tinker with it, and release your own version-- then not only do you have to have your own license there, but you also have to comply with the terms of the license that was already on it when you started working with it.  Some mods have restrictive licenses that don't let you tinker with them.  But even the ones that do let you tinker, usually contain some sort of provision that the license of the modified thing has to be compatible with the original and needs to preserve copyright information.  It's all in the fine print of the particular license involved.

This particular mod is licensed GNU GPL v3, which does allow tinkering, but which also pretty much requires that the redistributed thing follow the same license terms.  So, if you're going to post your modified thing, please preserve that license, state the license at the point where you post it, and handle copyright info appropriately.

But I want to post my tweaked version of the mod.  What do I need to do?

Well, usually what people do when they're forking a mod is to make their own add-on release thread and put all the usual bells and whistles on it.  But if your goal is to be as minimalist as possible, then wherever you post the information, a bare minimum might look something like this:

"Hi, I've tweaked <mod name>.  Here's a <link> to my source code.  Here's a <link> to the downloadable binary.  This is licensed <name of license>."  (And then make sure that the downloadable package includes the relevant license text, and also notes the original copyright holder and mention who you are and when you modified it.)

If anyone has any questions about the rules, please feel free to reach out privately to any member of the moderator team.  I note that there's also a handy Add-on Discussions sub-forum, if anyone wants to have a general talk about Why Things Are The Way They Are.  ;)

Okay, unlocking the thread now.  Please try to stay on-topic and not get into arguments about what is or isn't okay.  If there's any question about the okayness of something, ask a moderator.  And let's please try to stay friendly.

Thank you for your understanding.

55 minutes ago, Nightguard said:

... is this gonna be updated for 1.4.4? im gonna die of headache, seriously.

I found this, which does actually comply with the source code/licensing requirements unlike some of the others that keep getting removed.  Dealt nicely with the resonance wobble that I was having, but it's A) pre release and B) not even an announced pre-release, so uh, buyer beware?

https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/Kerbal-Joint-Reinforcement/releases

1 hour ago, Requia said:

I found this, which does actually comply with the source code/licensing requirements unlike some of the others that keep getting removed.  Dealt nicely with the resonance wobble that I was having, but it's A) pre release and B) not even an announced pre-release, so uh, buyer beware?

oh my... thanks!:o

4 hours ago, Requia said:

Well, it is not... the license says this:

For both users' and authors' sake, the GPL requires that modified versions be marked as changed, so that their problems will not be attributed erroneously to authors of previous versions.

The manual merging is a modification and it is not marked as changed by the one (linuxgurugamer) who merged it partially.

... see, I can be pe a nitpicker too. :wink:

On 7/13/2018 at 5:28 AM, Rudolf Meier said:

Well, it is not... the license says this:

The manual merging is a modification and it is not marked as changed by the one (linuxgurugamer) who merged it partially.

... see, I can be pe a nitpicker too. :wink:

This is the commit history of the repository. Please pinpoint the commit where LGG supposedly merged something:
https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/Kerbal-Joint-Reinforcement/commits/master

You see, LGG just compiled the HEAD, where the changes he listed were committed by ferram4. So, no changes by LGG.

How about we just bury this issue, learn something from it (and so, do not do the err again) and move on?

— — — POST EDIT — — — 

I was utterly wrong on this.

This is the mentioned commit. As the time gone by, things reveled themselves slightly more complicated than I though.

Edited by Lisias
post edit

On 7/13/2018 at 6:16 AM, Stixingman said:

Is there a way to download a 1.4 version of this mod? Even if it is unofficial. Or am i breaking the law?

This link is legally safe.

All the GPL requirements are satisfied, with the GitHub's TOS covering your back too. :) 

— EDIT --

I will not enter in details here, but GitHub is not covering our backs on the matter. In a way or another, if you are a US citizen you don't have to worry - the burden is always with the distributor, not the receiver.

Edited by Lisias
fixing a note. removing a link. I loose the thrust on the guy.