[1.3] Kerbal Joint Reinforcement v3.3.3 7/24/17

ferram4

I haven't looked too deep into the forums as to why this mod isn't being updated, but, has there been any outreach to Ferram4 and suggesting they create a patreon so as to help support their work? Of all the mods I use, this one changed the game for me and is sorely missed. I would be happy to donate to help keep this mod up to date.

2 hours ago, Nickel AP said:

I would be happy to donate to help keep this mod up to date.

not that simple, unfortunately. Ferram is actually working to become an aerospace engineer so it's more a factor of time than money. He started this mod while he was still in school if I recall correctly, and by now he's got to be focusing on an actual career, which is very time consuming. He still shows as logging in often - and you can choose to not let people see when you log in so the "last online" date never updates. I'm sure he'll be back around when he is able to. I don't really see there being anything we can do to bring him back until he is ready

2 hours ago, RaiderMan said:

has anyone asked him if they can maintain the mod in his stead?

@linuxgurugamer asked @ferram4  this question on his profile and there has not been a reply yet unless Ferram sent linux a DM and i think someone else in this thread has asked about passing the torch so to answer your question, Yes someone has and no we havent gotten a yes no maybe back from Ferram

IMHO we should respect the ferram4's time (aerospacial engineer? given the complexity of their work, I'm not surprised!).

One possible solution is to search github for a fork being maintained. KJR is GPL3, so it's legal (as long it's clear it's another "KJR", not related to ferram4).

You can search for:

Look for a maintainer that you thrust, and keep in mind that any error report should be redirected to the guy, not to ferram4.

Keep in mind, also, that some people tend to be more conservative on the maintenance, others prefer to change the thing a bit - sometimes with goods results, sometimes not. Choose the one that match your needs.

And keep an eye on this thread, waiting for ferram4's return (or decision).

Yep we just all got to be patient as the great Ferram4 is now an ever more bussy guy now becoming a IRL aerospacial  engineer.

Just remember, modders are still human and have real lifes to deal with. 

On another note, is there a working fork out there currently cause i haven't had much luck with the current unofficial update on page 89

8 hours ago, xD-FireStriker said:

hey @Lisias is your 3.3.3.2 fork 1.5 compatible? im about to test it to see if i have any better luck

I didn't "certified" it yet on 1.5.1, so it will acuse itself as incompatible on startup.

Anyway, I  'forgot" it using an old KSPe dependency (not suitable for production), so… New version in few minutes.

— POST — EDIT --

I reissued the 3.3.3.2 version , apparently working with Stock Vessels in 1.5.1. Dependencies are not included, see the Change Log for a link.

https://github.com/net-lisias-ksp/Kerbal-Joint-Reinforcement/releases/tag/RELEASE%2F1.4%2F3.3.3.2

Edited by Lisias
issue reissued

2 hours ago, Lisias said:

I didn't "certified" it yet on 1.5.1, so it will acuse itself as incompatible on startup.

Anyway, I  'forgot" it using an old KSPe dependency (not suitable for production), so… New version in few minutes. Then I will update this post with the 1.4.5 results.

sounds good, if you could send me a download link that would be nice thanks, i dislike navgating github. i got to learn how to use it but as a noob i find it hard to find the most recent forks and versions etc and where to download them

26 minutes ago, xD-FireStriker said:

sounds good, if you could send me a download link that would be nice thanks

See my previous post. I just updated it.

Use with caution (backup your savegames!!), this thing is still not properly tested on 1.5.1 (I just flew some stock crafts).

Edited by Lisias
tyops as usulla...

47 minutes ago, Lisias said:

See my previous post. I just updated it.

Use with caution (backup your savegames!!), this thing is still not properly tested on 1.5.1 (I just flew some stock crafts).

just wondering, since i have never used this mod before, do i need the old one or is this a full rework and also the plugins folder in your version where do i put it ? do i put it with your updated version or do i put it in another folder in my game folder ?

11 hours ago, somethingcool said:

just wondering, since i have never used this mod before, do i need the old one or is this a full rework and also the plugins folder in your version where do i put it ? do i put it with your updated version or do i put it in another folder in my game folder ?

As a rule of thumb, if you don't know if you need it it's because you don't. :)

But if you have some really heavy crafts that breaks while taking of, manoeuvring or just by sitting down on the airstrip/launchpad (I have some problems with the Clamps sometimes), then you need KJR. You need to choose the fork that better suit your needs.

My fork is somewhat "bold", I will change some things in order to make the thing more maintainable (at least, for me). The first change was to move the config.xml out of the GameData, as I delete and reinstall plugins a lot and hate loosing configurations files by mistake. Logs in on the works, and then I plan to see what I can really do with the thing.

I'll try not to break things (too much), but… All I can promise is that this will not break my savegames, because is where i will test it. Keep a look for the "Experimental" on the name - without it, you can thrust that I will not make bold moves. But if you see "Experimental" on the name, keep your savegames regularly backup'd, just in case. :) 

Edited by Lisias
Grammars… {sigh) - good thing I'm a programmer, not a novelist!!

28 minutes ago, RaiderMan said:

if it doesnt bork itself with this? I'd say certify for release and use.

Easy! :D 

KJR is a simple add-on. A hell of a good idea implemented in a simple way: it's essentially AutoStruts with Steroids. :) 

But, by the same reasons some parts don't like AutoStruts, they will not like KJR neither. And some of them who like AutoStruts, will bork beautifully with KJR. Some of these parts will just not work (moving parts use to be a problem - this is the reason I forked it, to use it on my crafts with moving parts!), but some few will summon the Sacred Rage of the Krakens on your craft.

Another possible source of Kraken's food :D is the craft instrumentation. KJR does its magic on entering the Flight scene: it takes every craft "alive" and instrument it in situ. It takes note of every craft instrumented, obviously (and also observe crafts being destroyed or crashing -  so it can adjusts the joints on the surviving parts). This works fine as long there're no one else doing the same - if more than one add-on tries to mangle the same part at the same time, Krakens will be hungry on you. :P 

A lot of fixes (if not all!) were already done by Meiru (kudos to this guy!), but I lost track of the individual changes due the way they were merged on the development tree. One of my goals is to remerge the code, so I can better track down the changes. This is interesting as things can break again in future releases, and this will make things easier to diagnose - but on the other hand it can resurrectz some bugs if I don't do it properly. Please be cautious with the Experimental toys. :) 

so... I've been using regular KJR for years.. have recompiled it myself to support 1.4.x, etc... thought I'd try this version.  I installed it from github, I installed KSPe as well... it doesn't seem to be working.  I don't see anything obvious in the logs.. it does give *two* instances of "KerbalJointReinforcement" on the incompatible mods dialog at load time (was one, second one showed up when I installed KSPe)

The main problem is.. 265 ton spaceplane, of a similar to design to ones I've been using for years.. nothing fancy.. but as soon as I launch it, the wings just *collapse*.  They're still connected, the control surfaces still move and all but.. the thing just flops onto the runway.  Any ideas here?  Anything I should be looking for in logs, etc?  F3 dialog shows nothing out of the ordinary.

EDIT: I took my old KJR from 1.4.5 which I recompiled, after changing the CompatibilityChecker code to look for minorVersion >=3 instead of minorVersion == 3 .... and it works... that's the only change I made, took the last release from ferram4, recompiled in VS2017 after changing the compatibilitychecker code, and .. works in 1.5.1.  What am I doing wrong with your version...?

Edited by ss8913

1 hour ago, ss8913 said:

it does give *two* instances of "KerbalJointReinforcement" on the incompatible mods dialog at load time (was one, second one showed up when I installed KSPe)

You didn't deleted the old contents, you have two dll's on the system.

The hint is the second incompatibility warning that appeared only after KSPe - it's a hard dependency, without it "my" KJR borks early on the binding phase. 

— NOTES — 

"My" KJR needs the "config.xml" file on <KSP>/PluginData/KerbalJointReinforcement , and not on the <KSP>GameData/blablabla . As a rule of thumb, everything I touch does that (data files on /PluginData, not on /GameData). This make it safe to plain delete the add-on from GameData, as any changing data will be safe somewhere else.

Edited by Lisias

On 11/14/2018 at 9:58 PM, RaiderMan said:

I've got the PERFECT test for this fork....a stock saturn V care of bluedog design bureau, COMPLETE with LEM.

if it doesnt bork itself with this? I'd say certify for release and use.

Well, I didn't. I just tested one of my "worst" vessels (and not even the real worst! :D ) and KJR didn't borked exactly - I think it just wasn't enough. Something changed on 1.5.1 that rendered the "magic" of KJR "no t enough"… I'm confirming this hypothesis on a clean install of 1.4.5 , and soon will update this post with more info.

I'm not telling you that "my" KJR is unsuitable to 1.5.1 - I just saying that really, really monstrous vessels are more demanding on 1.5.1 and I want to understand why first.

— POST — EDIT — 

I opened a issue to proper handle this.
https://github.com/net-lisias-ksp/Kerbal-Joint-Reinforcement/issues/1

@RaiderMan did you tested your vessel with and without "my" KJR? What is your machine specifications?

Edited by Lisias
MOAR INFO!

Just out of curiosity:

<string name="decouplerStiffeningExtensionType0">ModuleEngines</string>
    <string name="decouplerStiffeningExtensionType1">ModuleEnginesFX</string>
    <string name="decouplerStiffeningExtensionType2">ModuleHybridEngine</string>
    <string name="decouplerStiffeningExtensionType3">ModuleHybridEngines</string>
    <string name="decouplerStiffeningExtensionType4">ModuleEngineConfigs</string>
    <string name="adecouplerStiffeningExtensionType5">ModuleDecouple</string>
    <string name="adecouplerStiffeningExtensionType6">ModuleAnchoredDecoupler</string>
    <string name="adecouplerStiffeningExtensionType7">ProceduralFairingBase</string>

0 - 4 says "decoupler", 5 - 7 says "adecoupler" ...
It has been like that for some time, but it looks ... weird.

Is this correct? Has it been overlooked?

On 11/17/2018 at 6:05 PM, Gordon Dry said:

Just out of curiosity:

0 - 4 says "decoupler", 5 - 7 says "adecoupler" ...
It has been like that for some time, but it looks ... weird.

Is this correct? Has it been overlooked?

Hey, had you ever considered a formal training on Software Q/A? You have the touch, as it appears! :) 

Good job, you caught some modules being ignored by KJR exactly due this. I don't know if this was intentional, but due this "ModuleDecoupler", "ModuleAnchoredDecoupler" and "ProceduralFairingBase" are not being instrumented.

I'm firing up my "nightmare Craft" to test this.

For reference, line 109 of file KJRJointUtils.cs (290 on the original):

int i = 0;
            do
            {
                string tmpPart, tmpModule, tmpDecoupler;
                tmpPart = config.GetValue("exemptPartType" + i, "");
                tmpModule = config.GetValue("exemptModuleType" + i, "");
                tmpDecoupler = config.GetValue("decouplerStiffeningExtensionType" + i, "");

if (tmpPart == "" && tmpModule == "" && tmpDecoupler == "")
                    break;

— POST — EDIT --

This had been this way since the first time this file was committed, on 2014-0703, a bit earlier than the 2.4 Release by ferram4.

— POST—POST—EDIT --

Opened an issue, as I spent all my day chasing my tail and now I need to wait for some sparing time. :) 

https://github.com/net-lisias-ksp/Kerbal-Joint-Reinforcement/issues/2

Edited by Lisias
moar info.