[1.3] Kerbal Joint Reinforcement v3.3.3 7/24/17

ferram4

On 11/27/2018 at 1:56 PM, Lisias said:

@DStaal , please check if this would not fix your issue!!!!

I've got a new computer over the weekend, and so far can run everything smoothly - except KSP, which loads and then crashes the computer into an unresponsive state.  I'll test as soon as I can.  ;)

On 11/27/2018 at 6:38 PM, Lisias said:

New toy, boys. :) KJR (/L)  3.3.3.4 for who wants to keep playing while Ferram is learning how to launch real rockets on the real World. :D 

(whoever is going to really maintain this, is going to gain a lot of issues solved!)

https://github.com/net-lisias-ksp/Kerbal-Joint-Reinforcement/releases/tag/RELEASE%2F3.3.3.4

— POST — EDIT — 

I did a remerge from Meiru's code, followed by a rebase from my own changes. It's a new code-tree - I hope without glitches. If someone is willing to help me test this new code-tree, this is the download:

https://github.com/net-lisias-ksp/Kerbal-Joint-Reinforcement/releases/tag/RELEASE%2F3.4.0.0

Curiously, I remember I had mentioned the need for this remerge before. :) 

Which version of Meiru's code did you do the remerge from?

2 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Which version of Meiru's code did you do the remerge from?

The same. But I remerge it from scratch to keep the commit's history, so it's easier to spot typos and mistakes. But since I potentially lost some hypothetical adjustments that could had been made and committed embedded with that merge, I release the thing as PRE-RELEASE while I proper test it on my KSP installments and find the time to eye ball the code-trees.

Edited by Lisias
My God! It's full of tyops….

1 hour ago, Lisias said:

The same. But I remerge it from scratch to keep the commit's history, so it's easier to spot typos and mistakes. But since I potentially lost some hypothetical adjustments that could had been made and committed embedded with that merge, I release the thing as PRE-RELEASE while I proper test it on my KSP installments and find the time to eye ball the code-trees.

Umm, Meirmu released two versions, one which was in a PR to the original KJR, and his v2, which he never released the code for.  I inquired with the FSF, and since he never released the code for v2, that can't be used, but the first one is ok to use.

So, which version of his code did you use?

2 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Umm, Meirmu released two versions, one which was in a PR to the original KJR, and his v2, which he never released the code for.  I inquired with the FSF, and since he never released the code for v2, that can't be used, but the first one is ok to use.

So, which version of his code did you use?

If he never released the code, how could I had merged it? Or had someone improperly committed his code, and everybody that cloned that repo is tainted?

— POST — EDIT — 

It's was a valid questioning - so I dig up again on the commit history (better safe than sorry). Well, every commit from MeiruMeiru that I had merged has the header stating the authorship from ferram4 and MeiruMeiru as well a GPL notice. So, as far as I know, unless that commits were forged somehow, I only merged GPL code.

But yet, good to know about that "v2". I will keep an eye about.

— POST — POST — EDIT --

To prevent polluting this thread with unrelated material, I posted the follow up here.

Edited by Lisias
Annnd. typo! =P

3 minutes ago, HaydenTheKing said:

Will it make the game to easy though if every thing is stronger?

...no?

Not sure what you mean.  If you like your rockets with the rigidness of undercooked pasta, then don't use it.  This is similar to using autostruts, but less work and less buggy.

I wouldn't say having rockets with a realistic firmness between parts being "too easy".

Just now, Geonovast said:

...no?

Not sure what you mean.  If you like your rockets with the rigidness of undercooked pasta, then don't use it.  This is similar to using autostruts, but less work and less buggy.

I wouldn't say having rockets with a realistic firmness between parts being "too easy".

I mean will my rockets still rip apart if they are over G'd

1 minute ago, Geonovast said:

This by no means makes them invincible.  It just makes them not floppy and not explode because you dared to load them into your physics bubble.  It makes the joints stronger, not the parts.

My only worry is I have G effects turned on in the settings. I don't like noodle rockets but don't want my wings to not fly off if Im pulling 50g's

Just now, HaydenTheKing said:

My only worry is I have G effects turned on in the settings. I don't like noodle rockets but don't want my wings to not fly off if Im pulling 50g's

Then install the mod and see if it behaves the way you want.  If it doesn't, remove it.

2 hours ago, Geonovast said:

This is similar to using autostruts, but less work and less buggy.

Auto Struts are tricky due the way they works. When you autostrut to the heaviest part, and then dock to something heavier or that part that was heaviest is a fuel than and became lighter, autostruts will rearrange themselves and this can make the vessel(s) to oscilate heavily, sometimes above the stiffness of the parts.

So things blows up.

I carefully choose a root part and than autostrut it to root. This helps a lot.

But as far as I know, KJR is the one that solves it properly as it just created or destroy joints, without rearranging them - the reason for oscilations that can be the reason for Unplanned Rapid Disassemblies.

2 hours ago, Geonovast said:

Then install the mod and see if it behaves the way you want.  If it doesn't, remove it.

Or put lifting surfaces on KJR's exempt list on config.xml

btw the config.xml got duplicates in it, my version now is

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<config>
    <bool name="reinforceAttachNodes">1</bool>
    <bool name="multiPartAttachNodeReinforcement">1</bool>
    <bool name="reinforceDecouplersFurther">1</bool>
    <bool name="reinforceLaunchClampsFurther">1</bool>
    <bool name="useVolumeNotArea">1</bool>
    <bool name="debug">0</bool>

<float name="angularDriveSpring">5e12</float>
    <float name="angularDriveDamper">25</float>
    <float name="angularMaxForceFactor">-1</float>

<float name="decouplerAndClampJointStrength">-1</float>

<float name="breakForceMultiplier">1</float>
    <float name="breakTorqueMultiplier">1</float>
    <float name="breakStrengthPerArea">1500</float>
    <float name="breakTorquePerMOI">6000</float>

<float name="massForAdjustment">0.01</float>
    <float name="upperMassForLockedJoint">0</float>

<string name="exemptPartType0">MuMechToggle</string>
    <string name="exemptPartType1">MuMechServo</string>

<string name="exemptModuleType0">WingManipulator</string>
    <string name="exemptModuleType1">SingleGroupMan</string>
    <string name="exemptModuleType2">KerbalEVA</string>
    <string name="exemptModuleType3">MuMechToggle</string>
    <string name="exemptModuleType4">ModuleKerbetrotterHitch</string>
    <string name="exemptModuleType5">KASModuleWinch</string>
    <string name="exemptModuleType6">ModuleGrappleNode</string>
    <string name="exemptModuleType7">ModuleDockRotate</string>
    <string name="exemptModuleType8">ModuleNodeRotate</string>
    <string name="exemptModuleType9">DIYKit</string>
    <string name="exemptModuleType10">OrbitalKitContainer2</string>

<string name="decouplerStiffeningExtensionType0">ModuleEngines</string>
    <string name="decouplerStiffeningExtensionType1">ModuleEnginesFX</string>
    <string name="decouplerStiffeningExtensionType2">ModuleHybridEngine</string>
    <string name="decouplerStiffeningExtensionType3">ModuleHybridEngines</string>
    <string name="decouplerStiffeningExtensionType4">ModuleEngineConfigs</string>
    <string name="decouplerStiffeningExtensionType5">ModuleDecouple</string>
    <string name="decouplerStiffeningExtensionType6">ModuleAnchoredDecoupler</string>
    <string name="decouplerStiffeningExtensionType7">ProceduralFairingBase</string>

<float name="stiffeningExtensionMassRatioThreshold">5</float>
</config>

48 minutes ago, DStaal said:

The newer version has the same issue for me.  I've uploaded the file listing asked for to the Github issue.

There's a option on the config.xml called "debug". Shove a '1' on it, fire up your KSP with the 3.4.0.0 KJR and then post the log file here:

https://github.com/net-lisias-ksp/Kerbal-Joint-Reinforcement/issues/3

If there's anything wrong on KJR, the logs will show for sure. Just don't fart while playing, it will be logged too. :D 

59 minutes ago, Gordon Dry said:

btw the config.xml got duplicates in it, my version now is

<string name="decouplerStiffeningExtensionType2">ModuleHybridEngine</string>
    <string name="decouplerStiffeningExtensionType3">ModuleHybridEngines</string>

It's not a duplicate, it's a typo from one of source branches I merged. I didn't had the time do figure out what one is the right (with or without "s") so I leaved both. :)

Edited by Lisias
I need more sleep. =D

1 hour ago, DStaal said:

The newer version has the same issue for me.  I've uploaded the file listing asked for to the Github issue.

./GameData/KJR:
total 200
-rwxr-xr-x@ 1 <d>staal  staff    122 Oct 18 16:08 Instructions.txt
-rwxr-xr-x@ 1 <d>staal  staff  43520 Oct 18 16:03 KerbalJointReinforcement.dll
-rwxr-xr-x@ 1 <d>staal  staff  35120 Oct 18 15:57 LICENSE
drwxr-xr-x@ 3 <d>staal  staff     96 Nov 21 20:32 PluginData
-rwxr-xr-x@ 1 <d>staal  staff  16363 Oct 18 15:57 README.md

./GameData/KJR/PluginData:
total 0
drwxr-xr-x@ 2 <d>staal  staff  64 Oct 30 19:42 KerbalJointReinforcement

./GameData/KJR/PluginData/KerbalJointReinforcement:
<< WHERE IS CONFIG.XML?? >>
./GameData/KOOSE:

Whatever the version of KJR you are using (I don't remember doing a release on the original KJR folder), it's not working as the config.xml is not on the original place!

About the file permissions… They are similar to what I have here. As long  you run KSP with your account, things will work fine due some files having this "-rw-r--r—" - any other user would had the "-w" permission, and at least for me (and on the last time I checked it!), KSP have a problem with r/o DLL files. Don't ask. :D 

14 minutes ago, Gordon Dry said:

@Lisias I recnognized that - my posted config is already cleaned up, there were OTHER duplicates in.

Hummm.. Yeah. "<string name="exemptModuleType9">ModuleDockRotate</string>" is the dup . Will be fixed in the next release - but it's harmless, don't bother to fix it on your installments.

28 minutes ago, AccidentalDisassembly said:

FYI - the latest release on GitHub seems to have a funky directory structure. PluginData should be inside the mod directory, not alongside the main GameData directory in the downloaded ZIP.

Read the thread, it is done that way on purpose

30 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Read the thread, it is done that way on purpose

The thread says very little one way or the other. Lisias' response to Drew Kerman does not address the directory structure, only the dependency on KSPAPIExtensions. Considering this is the only mod I've ever seen that puts files outside of the GameData directory, you can imagine why that would be something that would immediately seem like a mistake in how the folders got stuck together somewhere.

On 11/27/2018 at 12:56 PM, Lisias said:

watahell?? o.O

I totally missed that! This problem is there since before I forked the project, as it appears!!!!

Hey, typos happen... In fact, I'm fluent!

Thanks for the update and addition.

@Lisias FYI the KerbalJointReinforcement.version is missing from the zip.

Edited by Critter79606