[1.3] Kerbal Joint Reinforcement v3.3.3 7/24/17

ferram4

41 minutes ago, Zah said:

Can't reproduce the problem without KJR. Hm.

So I think you need to locate the offended part and add its module to the ignore list! Some modules just don't like KJR!

12 minutes ago, Lisias said:

So I think you need to locate the offended part and add its module to the ignore list! Some modules just don't like KJR!

For the static vessel deforming when coming out of warp? Like this -- it's static, stays like this.8T15uNU.jpg

1 hour ago, Zah said:

For the static vessel deforming when coming out of warp? 

Well, it's a bug, and bugs don't care about statics. A bug on a patch using TweakScale on a part was leading the launchpad to explode - no reason to assume something like this can't happen to any other Add'On.

Make copies of your vessel, break it in half and test the halves until things stop wobbling. Sooner or later you will nail whatever is triggering the misbehavior.

And then we will have something to work on.

Edited by Lisias
tyops. as usulla.

8 minutes ago, Lisias said:

Well, it's a bug, and bugs don't care about statics. A bug on a patch using TweakScale on a part was leading the launchpad to explode - no reason to assume something like this can't happen to any other Add'On.

Make copies of your vessel, break it in half and test the halves until things stop wobbling. Sooner or later you will nail whatever is triggering the misbehavior.

And then we will have something to work on.

Gotcha, binary search on the parts. Shouldn't be hard, it's just 40 unique parts.

13 hours ago, Zah said:

Gotcha, binary search on the parts. Shouldn't be hard, it's just 40 unique parts.

Something crossed my mind : when a "half" works, duplicate it and strap them together and try again. This can be triggered by a part and a critical mass, length or something.

Sometimes, the problem is triggered by a chain of events where the bug ls the main link - and not the only one.

Edited by Lisias
Dude, painkillers for tooth are seriously impairing (even more) my grammars!

16 hours ago, Lisias said:

Something crossed my mind : when a "half" works, duplicate it and strap them together and try again. This can be triggered by a part and a critical mass, length or something.

Sometimes, the problem is triggered by a chain of events where the bug ls the main link - and not the only one.

Uh, sorry about your teeth! But don't worry, I understand you fine xD.

Besides this point, I kinda wonder if there's a MM-browser for KSP. Just some simple Windows GUI that lists all game objects and their modules, even those that were deleted/overwritten/changed. I have way too many mods with way too many patches and sometimes a typo can ruin the entire thing. Being able to browse it without having to load KSP could make sense Oo.

Is there any version of this mod that works with 1.6.1 or newer? I've tried lisias' version and can't get it to work....

Edit:

Got it working on 1.6.1 by installing this: https://github.com/net-lisias-ksp/Kerbal-Joint-Reinforcement/releases/tag/RELEASE%2F3.4.0.4

Then this:  https://github.com/net-lisias-ksp/KSPAPIExtensions/releases

AND this: https://codeload.github.com/net-lisias-ksp/KSPAPIExtensions/zip/master

Edit Edit:

Instructions here: https://github.com/net-lisias-ksp/Kerbal-Joint-Reinforcement/blob/master/INSTALL.md

Thanks @Lisias for all your hard work on this. I literally cannot play KSP without this mod.

Edited by Vector824

On 4/12/2019 at 9:15 PM, Vector824 said:

Is there any version of this mod that works with 1.6.1 or newer? I've tried lisias' version and can't get it to work....

Edit:

Got it working on 1.6.1 by installing this: https://github.com/net-lisias-ksp/Kerbal-Joint-Reinforcement/releases/tag/RELEASE%2F3.4.0.4

Then this:  https://github.com/net-lisias-ksp/KSPAPIExtensions/releases

AND this: https://codeload.github.com/net-lisias-ksp/KSPAPIExtensions/zip/master

Edit Edit:

Instructions here: https://github.com/net-lisias-ksp/Kerbal-Joint-Reinforcement/blob/master/INSTALL.md

Thanks @Lisias for all your hard work on this. I literally cannot play KSP without this mod.

This worked for me too, ty.

Someone needs to take over this mod for real; I say Squad hire somebody specifically to ensure this mod works in every version. The above instructions do not work anymore in 1.7 even with KSPe installed. Playing without KJR is practically impossible for many of us; even space stations of merely 30 parts have a tendency to wobble to death when I'm not in timewarp. Docking ports are much more problematic than any other joint. I don't get why the weak, wobbly connections are still around considering we're almost to KSP 2.0...

Edited by Autolyzed Yeast Extract

5 hours ago, Autolyzed Yeast Extract said:

Someone needs to take over this mod for real; I say Squad hire somebody specifically to ensure this mod works in every version. The above instructions do not work anymore in 1.7 even with KSPe installed. Playing without KJR is practically impossible for many of us; even space stations of merely 30 parts have a tendency to wobble to death when I'm not in timewarp. Docking ports are much more problematic than any other joint. I don't get why the weak, wobbly connections are still around considering we're almost to KSP 2.0...

I could not agree less. 

I just installed the latests from my repositories (so I'm pretty sure I'm using the very same DLLs you guys are), then I did the tests from this issue:

https://github.com/net-lisias-ksp/Kerbal-Joint-Reinforcement/issues/9

And yes, it works flawlessly on KSP 1.7 with MH. Check your KSP.log for ERR ADDON BINDERS  or any other thing that could be prevented this AddOn (or dependencies) to work.

— — post edit — — 

The main goal of KSP is to overcome restrictions by better designs. Autostruts and the EAS struts helps on more complicated/unintuitive designs, but usually the problem is on the vessel's design itself.

KJR is intended to allow huge Navy and Space ships, not to make the game easier - of course, no one is going to blame anyone for using KJR to "cheat" (your game, your rules) - but by then I think it's easier and better to just make the joints unbreakable on the Cheats Menu.

By the way, I don't think it's fair to plain blame KSP by adding restrictions by design on the Stock version, and I don't think this will ever change in the future, no matter is KSP 2.0, 3.0 or 9.99 :) 

About an official thread/support/CKAN, I can consider a formal orthodox release assuming the real magician (@Rudolf Meier) is not interested on it himself (he is the one that did the real work, not me). But, really, nothing would really change so I don't see a real, compelling need to do so.

This thing is working, and it's currently the best fork I know for this job. And it's a niche job, so the intended audience would had to handle dependencies manually anyway on the remaining Add'Ons, that are not mainstream by now either.

Any thoughts on this?

Edited by Lisias
post edit.

You know why I didn't want to take over this mod? It's because of how it works. It makes everything much more stable, even if it's not very logic. For example, connecting two jumbo tanks with a tiny little cube-thing just in the middle will get enforced. I tried to look into this problem and to come up with a solution that is more realistic. But here you quickly get into the problem that you can only have 1 connection (that counts) from part to part and if you add e.g. 16 little structures that would support those tanks and would make it stable in reality (look at how russians build rockets... they often have those "open" parts between the stages) this would be ignored. And I'm not sure yet if this can be solved. But in case I could find a solution, I was planning to build a new mod... maybe it's the job for 2 mods... one that builds structural parts in the way struts are built and one that reinforces everything (or... not "reinforces" it, but "makes the joints as strong as they were intended to be without the flaws of the unity engine" ... :) ... something like that).

... but. Maybe someone has another idea what would be best. Those are just my thoughts on this problem.

The reason I love this mod so much is because I like to build somewhat crazy sized rockets, and stupid huge space stations. The problem then is that in vanilla KSP they wobble around like a wet noodle, unless I strap struts to it. But that's time consuming and a little unsightly unless you hide them in-between the joints... and that's what this mod does for me anyway! It's like invisible struts in my mind. I don't connect two jumbos with the tiny cube because it looks ridiculous... And if I did I would be strapping struts to it anyway and that's just as unrealistic IMO. So I'm keeping KSP at 1.6.1 for now because I have too many mods to justify moving to 1.7 atm. I think the work you both did on this is fantastic and I greatly appreciate it!

21 hours ago, Rudolf Meier said:

You know why I didn't want to take over this mod? It's because of how it works. It makes everything much more stable, even if it's not very logic. [cut by me] Maybe someone has another idea what would be best. Those are just my thoughts on this problem.

I was considering adding a feature where you would choose the crafts that would be reinforced, instead of shoving extra struts on everything and the kitchen's sink.

Not sure how - perhaps a nice looking radial part, and so only crafts with that part would be reinforced. This will also save some CPU juice, as only some crafts would have the extra struts, and not all of them. Of course, a configuration would be added to preserve the old behavior if desired.

Sounds like a plan? 

12 hours ago, Vector824 said:

... I don't connect two jumbos with the tiny cube because it looks ridiculous... And if I did I would be strapping struts to it anyway and that's just as unrealistic IMO. ...

Maybe you're right... maybe it's not the problem of the mod to allow such stupid designs. And sometimes you need some sort of stupid designs e.g. if there's a connection point missing. But I'm still not sure if a good mod for a reinforcement of the structure should also allow weak connections. And if it should, how would it detect those? ... there are many out there who want "realism". That's the biggest problem I still have when thinking about "how should it work??"

1 hour ago, Ravien said:

I know Lisias' solution belongs to category "Some assembly required" but is it possible for someone to provide binaries for:

compiled against 1.6.1 ?

These  binaries are known to work from 1.2.2 to 1.7, no recompiling needed. :)

5 hours ago, iGGnitE said:

I´m also confused, I don´t see where this link mentions the installing of the KSPAPIExtensions-master.zip

The master.zip is just a convenient way to download the source code for people not willing to use GIT. It was not intended to you.

End users should stick with the release zips, the first one on this link:

https://github.com/net-lisias-ksp/KSPAPIExtensions/releases

13 hours ago, Lisias said:

The master.zip is just a convenient way to download the source code for people not willing to use GIT. It was not intended to you.

End users should stick with the release zips, the first one on this link:

https://github.com/net-lisias-ksp/KSPAPIExtensions/releases

I downloaded and installed the most recent release. However, It doesn´t actually seem to do anything: xAYpomf.png

What am I doing wrong and what do you need from me to find out what I'm doing wrong?

3 hours ago, iGGnitE said:

What am I doing wrong and what do you need from me to find out what I'm doing wrong?

Publish your KSP.log, as explained here: