[1.3] Kerbal Joint Reinforcement v3.3.3 7/24/17

ferram4

Ferram, have I mentioned that you are like unto a god? Between you and NathanKell, KSP will be such a wonder to behold. This is added to my "Can't live without" mod list. :)

better yet, lets get it added to stock!

and my god, Ferram, quit blowing my mind, I only have 2 replacements left.

I have had builds where I literaly used 6-8TONS of struts...just to keep the damn thing together goin up! Granted I dont mind adding them, just always seemed a bit unrealistic to me. Being a metal worker I can tell ya anyone in their right mind would throw a weld on stuff before adding so many struts.

Great idea Ferram, one that seems rather long over due, I thank you...and my Kerbals prone to motion sickness thank you as well =P

Just curious, how is this different than setting a parts breaking force/torque to insane amounts (other than the obvious time of editing couple hundred configs of course)?

Any info on the memory usage of the plugin? As a matter of fact - what sort of memory footprint do plugins have? I know larger plugins like Kerbal Engineer definately cause some micro-fps-drops in the game due to the massive amount of calculations, but how about something like this?

Can you provide more insight into this topic, Ferram? Also how does the plugin work, not that I will understand it, I am just curious for a basic design description the mod increases rigid strength in connection nodes by this and this, and this.

I always lived with the idea (or the misconception), that node strength comes with part weigth.

Can you provide more insight into this topic, Ferram? Also how does the plugin work, not that I will understand it, I am just curious for a basic design description the mod increases rigid strength in connection nodes by this and this, and this.

I always lived with the idea (or the misconception), that node strength comes with part weigth.

Im sure Ferram probably know just about all there is to know on this topic...but I can tell ya more than part weight goes into how sturdy any given connection is. Part weight, node size, node type...and probably some other factors too, will all effect how inherently strong/weak a connection is. It seems like g-load plays a factor as well, based on how some engines will clip into tanks when operating at high trusts, but thats honestly just a guess there.

This is great, its long been the most annoying "feature" of KSP. Is there any set of settings in the config.xml that will completely disable the angular spring? My massive KW launcher will stay together without struts using this mod, but if I try to use SAS to hold orientation the craft goes bendy. Not sure what will happen with a Mechjeb launch, probably the same thing.

/edit ignore this I just saw the readme and code.

Edited by billw

Seems like a good concept, not having to worry about stiffness and all, but there's got to be a catch. I'd really like to know if this plugin has a negative impact on anything (performance, aerodynamics, conflicts with other mods).

Though I don't know how it does what it does, if it works, it'll prove to my kerbals that there is a god out there.

I'm using this mod to see how it helps my space craft. So far (not a lot of launches), the part strengthening seems to be helping. I didn't notice the usual engines sliding around the bottom of the fuel tank, and I removed struts I was using. However, the launch clamps are still not holding up. It might be because I am using KOSMOS URM 1.25m tanks, but I find I still need to use a much higher breaking force on the launch clamp in order for it to be stable with my usual launch configuration. I also still need struts on the lateral liquid fuel boosters, but those are fairly large 1.25m tanks as well. Still, being able to remove the other struts is nice.

I'm using this mod to see how it helps my space craft. So far (not a lot of launches), the part strengthening seems to be helping. I didn't notice the usual engines sliding around the bottom of the fuel tank, and I removed struts I was using. However, the launch clamps are still not holding up. It might be because I am using KOSMOS URM 1.25m tanks, but I find I still need to use a much higher breaking force on the launch clamp in order for it to be stable with my usual launch configuration. I also still need struts on the lateral liquid fuel boosters, but those are fairly large 1.25m tanks as well. Still, being able to remove the other struts is nice.

Isn't it a know bug of KOSMOS that currently the URM tanks don't work well with the launch clamps? I don't think it's because of this mod here, but could be I'm mistaken.

This is working well for most vehicles, but it causes BobCat's N1 to completely collapse mid flight. The Block D decoupler fails, then it's all over but the shouting.

On the whole, this is a great mod. The Kerbal space programme will save loads of cash not having to buy so many airsick bags!

Edited by Jack Wolfe

Make your rockets properly rigid as they fly, and only use struts for when you really need them.

Because no one likes a flaccid rocket!

I've reported this as a bug in earlier versions of KSP but no one ever bothered to take it up as an issue. If you attach a rocket engine to a fuel tank, there is absolutely no reason you need struts there. Apart from the fact that often you just can't add extra struts without making unnatural looking rockets.

I always thought that a rocket engine dancing off the bottom of a fuel tank was just ridiculous. Even for a technical staff of little green men who do everything with duct tape.

Because no one likes a flaccid rocket!

I've reported this as a bug in earlier versions of KSP but no one ever bothered to take it up as an issue. If you attach a rocket engine to a fuel tank, there is absolutely no reason you need struts there. Apart from the fact that often you just can't add extra struts without making unnatural looking rockets.

I always thought that a rocket engine dancing off the bottom of a fuel tank was just ridiculous. Even for a technical staff of little green men who do everything with duct tape.

unnatural looking rockets?? You do know you can strut internally between 2 parts, so finished joint has no visible struts?

Not that it really matter anymore with this mod anymore...

Also, to whomever was asking if this mod messes with anything else...it does not seem to at all, and seeing how Ferram made it I can almost promise it does not mess with aerodynamics...thats kinda his cup of tea and all =)

I remember reading some reasoning why Squad would not un-wobble rockets completely - but where?

I would like to hear the reasoning as well seeing as the continuous spring calculations are the cause of so many major problems, without really adding much beyond what a static analysis of the joint stresses before take off would (i.e. calculate what the minimum force to cause any breakage is before take off and then don't bother simulating anything until it is exceeded).

This is just incredible. I was (just like everyone else was) looking for the solution of wobble for a very long time and BAM , here it is! Amazing!

Now it's time to finally use this on my DROMOMAN robotic arms so they don't wobble like mad anymore.