[1.3] Kerbal Joint Reinforcement v3.3.3 7/24/17

ferram4

I haven't seen any issues with things not properly decoupling; are there any particular parts / mods that that issue occurs with?

had some decoupling isses yesterday. i used KWR and Interstellar parts in my craft, but the said decoupler was stock, between zwo stock parts (rockomax x200 - octagonal - small decoupler - octagonal - probe body)

I was having a strange issue where I would ignite the engines then release the launch clamps it would just sit there suspended in space. I'll try to reproduce this issue this morning in order for you to troubleshoot.

I have noticed stock radial decouplers not ejecting attached pieces properly (Radial Detachment Manifolds, I think), same as KW stack decouplers and KW fairings. Part stays entirely in place and you an only separate from it by changing your velocity (hopefully without slicing something off with a collision). I think it's not something with individual parts, - rather, it looks like ejectionForce parameter stopped working entirely. Not gamebreaking, but would be nice to have fixed. :)

I was running into this, as well. I had largish lateral-mounted boosters that usually kick outwards in a nice Korolev Cross effect, but they now slide down along the hull (and sometimes bounce off of it). I am using a Quantum Strut near the base of the booster to keep it in place during launch, since the lateral decouplers don't hold the boosters in place, otherwise, and manually strutting the boosters was a nuisance.

Im having issues with the Sum Dum Heavy Industries Service Module System parts, they seem to all get stuck together and refuse to separate properly/at all.

The addon in question is here: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/52362-0-21-Sum-Dum-Heavy-Industries-Service-Module-System-%28V1-0%29

Problems I have come across:

-The side fairings have no force on decoupling

-The service module adapter fails to decouple the LV-909 its attached too to separate the service module .

-The service module itself fails to decouple from the heat shield part attached to the bottom of the 3man capsule.

If its easier, could you explain how to add these parts to be ignored by the plugin? I looked at the config file but am not totally sure what to add to make it ignore all parts of the SDHI pack.

try go to altitude control and set Tf to 0.9 , the default is 0.3 which flex long sticks alot.

Thanks but I was referring to the actual Mechjeb part sliding around violently on the surface it's attached to! Didn't seem to cause any issues but it made me nervous.

@pina_coladas: That's probably the case not liking the higher attachment forces; you can try increasing the linear damper value in the config to see if that helps.

@Galane: Thanks, I reproduced the bug, and I think I know what's happening: the extra decoupler stiffening is interfering with the parts. I will make the exemption extend to extra decoupelr stiffening.

@sirkut: Provide a copy of your output_log.txt (not KSP.log); that sounds like something critical nulled on physics start and prevented it from finishing properly.

@Umlüx: You'll need to provide a craft file if it only involved stock parts. I have noticed issues where decoupler forces weren't applied, but not issues where stock parts would not decouple.

@Zaran: The code currently excludes specific PartModule and Part types from being affected; you can't use it to exclude a specific part. I will investigate the issue Sum Dum though.

Edited by ferram4

Got some problems with decouplers in space too... got a small throw-away tug that brings fuel tanks to my haulers, it's linked to the tank by a decoupler, when i'm docked and decouple something strange happens: the decoupler itself stays half stuck to the tank (i can see it's got a bit loose), while the tug body moves away and starts spinning really fast. SAS or SmartASS seem to notice nothing at all (cannot "kill rot" or stabilize). My only option is to kill the tug from tracking station, instead of de-orbiting it properly.

Otherwise 1.1 is working nice for me, managed to launch that 200t payload finally with a monster of a launcher, with FAR it's a real challenge :) Struts are still needed at these scales.

My normal rockets are now stiff and i save some more deltaV due to less wobble during ascent..

With 1.0, I was seeing problems with fairings not ejecting. With 1.1, now I can't get decouplers to release either. Going back to 1.0 for the time being because I do enjoy not having to encase my more ambitious designs in a spider's web of struts.

Since my Saturn launch vehicle is pretty much just as noodly as it ever was, I have to ask - does this work with the Stretchy Tanks? I read about some problems with the Procedural Wings, but I can't remember if the stretchy tank parts have similar issues...

@Herra Tohtori: Well, it depends on how different the masses between the parts are. If you're connecting a 1000 ton fuel tank to a 0.1 ton decoupler and expecting this to have no problems, you're too optimistic. Since Stretchy Tanks basically breaks physics by making gigantic, massive parts and then having them connected by a bunch of small, light decouplers and engines there is really nothing that will fix the wobbliness of Stretchy Tanks without adding in struts. With that in mind, I'll extend the decoupler-style stiffening to Stretchy Tanks to see if it helps; no promises, because the mod basically breaks the physics engine, but it should help.

@Everyone having decoupler issues: I have that fixed and a new version should be incoming in an hour or so once I finish testing a new feature for even larger rockets.

need to place struts between connected fuel tanks and engines to keep it from sliding all over the place?

THIS is exactly why I stopped using KW Rocketry, because the large engines would slide all over the place and the rocket would fall apart. I will use this mod right away!

There's also the problem that it looks like StretchyTanks may not scale the collider along with the visual mesh, given which transforms it's scaling?

Also, even if it does, ferram, you'd have to query the size of the mesh _after_ the first update, as otherwise you'll get the unstretched tank as the mesh; it's loaded at stretch factor 1.0 and rescaled on update.

Ah, that would explain it then. I'll consider that a known issue with Stretchy Tanks, to be dealt with at the same time as the pWings issue.

In the meantime, version 1.2 is out, fixing the "don't decouple bug" and the "struts don't disconnect bug," at least in all the test cases I have done. It also fixes the other Infernal Robotics conflict. It also fixes the "decouplers don't apply ejection force bug" by way of applying a workaround that also happens to fix the stock "If struts interfere with decoupler ejection force bug."

Launch clamps glue my rocket to the launchpad even when decoupled in 1.2. And the mod seems to not like large stock ASAS - its connection to other parts stacked above and below breaks even when it wouldn't without the mod.

Version 1.2 fixes the problems I had with lateral booster separation. The one thing I see now appears to be visual (no game effect) - parachutes seem to vibrate spasmodically once they're deployed. I still land okay, and the drag effects don't appear to be affected, so it appears to be purely a visual artifact.

Launch clamps glue my rocket to the launchpad even when decoupled in 1.2.

I saw this problem when I loaded a rocket I had designed before using this mod. I then deleted and replaced the clamps and it was fine. It seems to be an issue with clamps that were created/saved before the mod was installed.

Edited by jfjohnny5

@asmi: What does the output log say? I suppose I can add more code to make sure the extra launch clamp joints break properly.

The large ASAS breaking is news to me; try lowering the damping values in the config.xml and see if that helps.

@MOARdV: Known issue; see if lowering the damping values in the config.xml helps.