[1.3] Kerbal Joint Reinforcement v3.3.3 7/24/17

ferram4

I experience something after installed this and was forced to remove it right away. It was copying more than one part with doing symmetry, I didn't spot it soon enough and it had ruined a rather large ship oi was making. As upon lift off form the runway it would roll and rip off the other sides wing when it hit the runway. I looked at the center of lift and it was waaaay off to one side. On father examination i found it to be adding more than one wing clipping them into the same spot. I WOULD turn off part clipping except i need it to make several spots on this ship. But i have a basic frame starting point so all is not lost. except the hours used to make the failed one.

@Miller: That isn't a bug caused by KJR. That's an intermittent issue with Real Solar System's larger Kerbin and the Launch Clamps snap-to-ground functionality.

@evilphish: I've noticed that one, and I'm not exactly sure what's causing it; part of me suspects that there's something weird with that in-line docking port, since that's the only one I've seen that happen with.

@Damaske: Can you provide an output_log.txt after causing the issue? That honestly sounds like an error with some other mod, since KJR doesn't do anything in the editor (its code isn't set to load until the flight scene). Either KJR is doing something very, very wrong, or it's another mod causing your issue.

@Damaske: Can you provide an output_log.txt after causing the issue? That honestly sounds like an error with some other mod, since KJR doesn't do anything in the editor (its code isn't set to load until the flight scene). Either KJR is doing something very, very wrong, or it's another mod causing your issue.

I know what he's talking about and it could even be a stock problem. I think it started in .21 but maybe .20 and it's intermittent. I've never been able to isolate it to any particular mod which is why I've grown skeptical that it's even mod-related. Other mods have been blamed for this same bug over the past few months and supposed repro steps provided that never can be reliably verified by others.

My own thoughts as to cause revolve around unsuccessful symmetrical placement attempts that corrupt the placement process so that when you finally do get successful placement you end up with a corrupted craft. And if you save, a virtually irreparably corrupted craft file.

That's why any time I try and fail to place a part in symmetry mode I delete the part and spawn another. But I might be just as wrong as everyone else to encounter this bug and my remedy might just be a placebo.

tl;dr it's not your mod at all.

Well it happened just AFTER i installed this so maybe it was jumping the gun so to say. Talked to a few others and they also say its happened to them before also and such. But for me it NEVER happened until i added in this mod. I can try it once more and see whats going on.. see if it shows up once more. I'd send you the logs but i had em off due to amd's crappy drivers and KSP not getting along, and i deleted that saved game already.

Edited by Damaske

This mod as saved my KSP playing itself!

This is what I've been asking for since I started playing this game.

For a long time, I called KSP = Kerbal Strut Program.

Finally I can build real proper rockets!

@evilphish: I've noticed that one, and I'm not exactly sure what's causing it; part of me suspects that there's something weird with that in-line docking port, since that's the only one I've seen that happen with.

I encountered the same problem with part connections between the Large Structural/Station Components from udk_lethal_d0se.

@Starwaster: I have managed to get bad code to cause something similar, where an infinite number of parts would be attached any time you tried to surface attach anything; normally it had to do with an exception being thrown in a function called by OnEditorAttach; I doubt it's the same issue though, since that tended to cause the editor to freeze and the game to crash due to RAM usage if it wasn't closed fast enough. Of course, none of this got into any of my releases, since it is literally game-breaking.

@evilphish: You can probably work around the error with a single strut. If you manage to cause the issue again with other parts, say something so I can narrow down the source.

@NicoH: I'll look into it; are there any particular combinations of parts that cause the issue?

I WOULD turn off part clipping except i need it to make several spots on this ship.

This may or may not be relevant to your problem but it sounds like you're enabling part clipping in the settings cfg file. If you use the editor extensions mod you can toggle part clipping at will inside the game, so you can use it for a few finnicky parts and then shut it back off right away before it does something crazy on you. I pretty much can't play without that mod now.

After installing I actually found some connections to actually be less rigid.

For example, this is without the mod:

tXBox7d.jpg

this is the same setup after installing KJR:

yAZRmXS.jpg

Did anyone else notice something similar?

Yes, I too suffer from an erectile aircraft dysfunction. (No Joke)

This may or may not be relevant to your problem but it sounds like you're enabling part clipping in the settings cfg file. If you use the editor extensions mod you can toggle part clipping at will inside the game, so you can use it for a few finnicky parts and then shut it back off right away before it does something crazy on you. I pretty much can't play without that mod now.

No, this isn't the sort of thing you can cause by just enabling parts clipping. And you can do it with clipping off. I used to have it happen a lot and I never use clipping. Trust me if you run afoul of it you'll understand how screwed up it is.

the HOME parts seem EXTRA noodle-like.

no clue why though.

Several HOME parts have CoM issues and/or collision body issues. The models need some serious attention.

Edit: not just CoM but CoG too.

Edited by Starwaster

I'll be honest that I'm not surprised that some mod parts don't play well with this, though I will look into fixing it. You guys can try looking into messing with the stiffness values in the config.xml to see if you can fix the issues; documentation is in the readme file. I believe some of the issues might come from how I'm treating surface attachments right now, which I plan to fix.

I'll be honest that I'm not surprised that some mod parts don't play well with this, though I will look into fixing it. You guys can try looking into messing with the stiffness values in the config.xml to see if you can fix the issues; documentation is in the readme file. I believe some of the issues might come from how I'm treating surface attachments right now, which I plan to fix.

Thing is, I tried changing a value, but it won't let me, the XML document will only let me view it, not make changes. Do I need to open it with a browser other than Internet Explorer, or what?

I use the alt(mod key for windows) F12 key and enable it there, not from the config files.

Thing is, I tried changing a value, but it won't let me, the XML document will only let me view it, not make changes. Do I need to open it with a browser other than Internet Explorer, or what?

I use Notepad ++ it is very nice and even has proper syntax system for multiply file formats. I used it once to edit the HTML files of my college web page back when i was going to college.

I use Notepad ++ it is very nice and even has proper syntax system for multiply file formats. I used it once to edit the HTML files of my college web page back when i was going to college.

Totally, Notepad++ all the way. The only reason I haven't deleted Notepad and Wordpad yet (after installing NP++) is because I'm too lazy to hunt them down and exterminate them. So I guess they get to live for awhile longer.