[1.3] Kerbal Joint Reinforcement v3.3.3 7/24/17

ferram4

After installing KJR 1.4.1 I am loosing mouse clicking abilities in the SPH, VAB and Space Center. I can roll back to the main menu using exit button. when I get there, nothing responds to mouse clicks, I have to Alt+Enter to X out of the game and reload. Is anyone else suffering from this? I went back to KJR 1.3 and do not suffer from this. The error presents it self after about 20 minutes of SPH or VAB assembly.

Is anybody else experiencing this?

Is this error related in any way to KJR? (I saw this problem before in KSP 0.21.1 and B9).

Can anybody help me understand whats going on? (I may be exceeding 32 bit limits or something else.)

Anything in the erorr log? Also, try launching and immediately reverting to editor when that happens - I had a similar issue before KJR even existed, and that workaround helps with it.

Does this mod conflict with anything? Because I have been using the Module Manager wildcard, and this mod doesn't seem to be doing its job... is there any way around this? (Other than deleting the wildcard, and if not, any other way to implement MJ into all pods and probes?)

I've been having a bit of an issue with this mod as well, which strangely doesn't seem to make things overall better, it just changes one problem into another. Rather than the parts wobbling by turning, they wobble a bit by sliding when I use the mod. Upping the linear drive spring/damper doesn't seem to have any effect that I can notice. So far I tested some kw rocketry 1.25m parts (just the standard tanks in all sizes), their 2.5m, and some b9 aerospace ones (the shuttle style series with cargo bay). all of them seem to slide rather than bend, but especially on planes the sliding wobble causes the same instability.

I will play around more and see what I can find though

The 1.4.2 revision is out, which fixes some wobbliness, though I suspect it may cause other issues. You can only get it from spaceport for now though, since mediafire is down.

@psistorm: If the current version doesn't fix it, try upping the "max force" values and see if that helps.

@Captain_Party: I'm not aware of any hard conflicts with this mod, though it tends to not like stretchy tanks a bit and causes them to spaz out and break. See if the current version fixes your issue.

How exactly does this work?

I know people have been requesting that SQUAD should rework the part connections, suggesting everything from 'invisible struts' (more part physics calculations) to a complete overhaul to a multiple node system (lots of work).

How does this mod achieve it?

It replaces every default 'fixed joint' which has its properties in a black box and mostly but not quite does the right thing, with a joint with manually configured parameters based on part size and whatnot. For decouplers and launch clamps it does also create 'invisible struts' that span the decoupler and connect parts on either side to each other, as a workaround for the issue of a tiny light decoupler connecting big heavy tanks.

ferram, regarding the heat shield, asmi noticed that breaking force and torque weren't set. Setting them to 630 fixed the issue for him; I'll confirm on my end when I get home.

That's why I use this:

@PART[*]:HAS[#module[Part],~breakingForce[]]
{
breakingForce = 1000
}
@PART[*]:HAS[#module[Part],~breakingTorque[]]
{
breakingTorque = 1000
}

*Requires either ModuleManager 1.3 & Sarbian' MM Extensions OR ModuleManager 1.5

Yeah, the PART[*] and module[Part] are redundant; that's a holdover from when Sarbian's extensions were bugged and applying the patch to all nodes, not just PART nodes. Probably could take that out. Might speed startup a bit.

Edited by Starwaster

ferram, regarding the heat shield, asmi noticed that breaking force and torque weren't set. Setting them to 630 fixed the issue for him; I'll confirm on my end when I get home.

I was having problems with a chunk of a large station where I had a dock senior at the bottom and about 90t of station on top. It kept on breaking at the join between the senior and the tank above it. The part.cfg for the senior had no breakingforce or torque set so I put them in at 600 which at least stops it instantly snapping.

Maybe it would be an idea to add some sensible default value if they have missing standard parameters as there seem to be a fair number of them.

Does this work with B9 parts cause my plane still tends to wobble a lot.

Same thing happens with my B9 craft. They seem a lot sturdier, but they wobble like crazy during maneuvers. It has to be noted that the same thing as in your screenshot(displacement of segments) happens when no struts are present. I haven't tried strutting segments at all, because I thought KJR works fine on aircraft too.

Also, another issue is my post in the Procedural fairings thread:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/39512-0-22-Procedural-Fairings-2-4-2-tech-tree-and-minor-improvements-%28Oct-19%29?p=776527&viewfull=1#post776527

And I am using the latest version of KJR :(

@SnappingTurtle & smunisto: I've noticed that, and I've been trying to fix it. See if a previous version happens to fix it (there's a link to a mediafire folder on the front page) or if you can fix it by increasing the max force parameters in the config.xml.

I think the issue has to do with how heavy the B9 parts are compared to other parts.

edit: Further investigation indicates that it only happens with very, very heavy crafts or crafts under very heavy loads; basically, some flexing should be expected there. I was only able to cause dramatic flexing like in the image by buffing the SABRE engines heavily and then severely overspeeding while I used full control inputs. In reality, it would have broken from those loads. With that in mind, the only solution would be to try and have the flexing dependent on the size of the part so that joints between smaller parts flex less than joints between longer parts, but that wouldn't be well received at all, since it would defeat the purpose of larger parts.

@CheesySquid279: I'd prefer if you didn't, because then that gets into versioning problems. If I release a new version and you aren't up-to-date on making sure that the pack contains the most recent version, then people will continue to suffer from already-fixed issues, and then they'll all show up here to complain, and I'll have to tell them to download the most recent version from here. It's more hassle than it's worth, for everyone.

Edited by ferram4

...people will continue to suffer from already-fixed issues, and then they'll all show up here to complain...

Speaking of which the problem I mentioned seems to have been fixed by downloading the latest version. I should have done that first but I don't have enough RAM for all the mods I have, which means the game can be extremely slow with all the page file operations, which often leads me to posting before I've checked all the usual solutions.

I'll admit to having mulled over the thought of a package-manager style mod handling system. Compare e.g. Ruby gems, Node.js' NPM, and the excellent APT system for Debian-derived Linuxen. A package system that will download and install your desired mods, making sure to get the latest versions, the right DLLs, etc. Tracking dependencies between things, allowing mod makers to depend on other mods, like when B9 needs Firespitter's DLL, or FAR requires ModuleManager.dll. I wonder if such a system would be possible to get people on board with.

The main issue would be modder support. Today, mods are packed in a hundred different ways, and programmatically sussing out what's contained within each is... a trick. Not an impossible one - if they have a GameData folder, for example, that helps. But the packages would pretty much need to be formatted a certain way for it to work reliably. Which leads to questions of licensing and databases of mods...

Anyhow, this thread isn't the place for this discussion. Just wanted to air that thought. :)

I really liked how solid everything was in 1.0, but with 1.4.1, everything felt significantly less sturdy than I liked, especially docking ports. They wobble and slide about, making it very tricky to dock if you're not perfectly aligned and slide straight into the port. I'm just now installing 1.4.2 so maybe this will improve my situations a bit.

A changelog in the first post would be fantastic, since it's a trick to find your latest post to judge if I want to update or not. (E.g. if you remove something that I liked, or change some things that I want to look for to see the difference.) I know there's a changelog in the readme, but a simply copy/paste to the first post would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for all your work!