[1.3] Kerbal Joint Reinforcement v3.3.3 7/24/17

ferram4

And you'd be surprised how little dynamic pressure it takes to tear something apart;

If you've seen those old nuclear bomb test films with the buildings and vehicles getting blown apart and tossed around, that was a FIVE PSI overpressure - applied really quickly. Air is tricky stuff. Common window screen acts almost like a solid plate in a 40 MPH wind. It would likely make a good parachute in a real atmosphere as dense as Eve's.

If you've seen those old nuclear bomb test films with the buildings and vehicles getting blown apart and tossed around, that was a FIVE PSI overpressure - applied really quickly.

Actually that's kinda my point.

A difference of 5psi is ~34,000 pascals. 20 Pa seems almost insignificant in comparison.

@VaporTrail: It is measured in Pa in that window, though you'd be hard pressed to see 20 Pa for anything other than the first fraction of a second of launch. AdmiralTigerclaw is listing values in kPa, but is missing the prefix for his units. And you'd be surprised how little dynamic pressure it takes to tear something apart; you need to remember that static pressure is quite often felt on both the inside and outside of the vehicle, resulting in a net force on the structure of 0, but dynamic pressure results in different forces across the vehicle (measured using lift and drag coefficients), resulting in bad times. And 20 kPa with a rocket sideways at supersonic velocities are more than enough to cause it to break up. For an SR-71, it's even worse, because that has lifting surfaces to toss it around.

That I'll believe. Wrapping my head around such a tiny pressure difference ripping apart a rocket (as a peak pressure difference... not as something causing a cascade failure) was kinda tough..

Edited by VaporTrail

In stock, if you add a strut to stabilize a radial engine it will nullify the ejector force of the radial decoupler when it is activated. KJR fixes this, but adds a bunch of stuff I don't need. How would I disable everything else, including the easing of physics when dropping out of timewarp. If I'm not using any of the joint reinforcement I don't want to deal with extra load times when I come out of warp.

@ferram4: could it be possible your plug-in cause the weird collisions after going out time-warp (physical by default if I'm not mistaken) ?

I have collisions with launchpad near Duna orbit (this time I was lucky, only the mechjeb case collide !) and collition with "Oxygentank" and "water pipe" (I don't have any single parts named like this !)

Those "collisions" are the reason that the physics easing was originally added. As the issue is caused by accelerations when restarting physics, and those accelerations are proportional to velocity when leaving timewarp, and since people in RSS deal with much higher velocities without causing the issue, you're going to have to provide a save file with the minimum parts required to cause the issue reliably and as few mods as possible. Unless you're using a hacked version of KJR that removes physics easing those issues should not appear.

Those "collisions" are the reason that the physics easing was originally added. As the issue is caused by accelerations when restarting physics, and those accelerations are proportional to velocity when leaving timewarp, and since people in RSS deal with much higher velocities without causing the issue, you're going to have to provide a save file with the minimum parts required to cause the issue reliably and as few mods as possible. Unless you're using a hacked version of KJR that removes physics easing those issues should not appear.

Thanks for the infos. It's weird :huh:.

I'm not sure of which version I currently use (on a 0.23 install, it's version is 1.0.0.0 modified on 01/03/2014 22h50).

Check the readme that came with the download? In any case, if you're running an out-of-date version of KJR on an out-of-date version of KSP, there's not much I can do to help you. Those issues have likely already been solved, or will simply not ever be solved for you until you upgrade, since the update to 0.23.5 broke backwards compatibility with KJR due to the new joint system.

ferram, a user was having an issue with Infernal Robotics during staging and I realized that when I rewrote the plugin to the new PartModule system I failed to notify you that the exclusion needed to be updated in the config.xml for KJR.. I added this line to your config and it now works correctly:

<string name="exemptModuleType3">MuMechToggle</string>

@AndersW: You would be better served by using KJR's source to produce a plugin that would fix the bug and nothing else. That bugfix is a happy bonus allowed by what KJR has to do to fix some stiffening issues; I am not going to set up the mod to do everything that it needs to do to fix that issue without also getting something out of the extra overhead from adding the partmodules.

So quite simply, no. If you would like to, the license allows you to modify KJR as you desire to do that yourself if you are so inclined.

@sirkut: Alright, I'll add that to the config.

Hi

Thanks for the great mod, just wondering if you could explain the config part of your readme a bit more for someone who has no idea what they are doing like me lol.

Basically I want to increase the stiffness of all joints and reduce(remove) the random wiggle you get in parts.

By reading your read me, I think I need to edit these two:

float angularDriveSpring 5000000000 --Factor used to scale stiffness of angular connections

float angularDriveDamper 0 --Factor used to scale damping of motion in angular connections

Could you explain them a bit more? And like how much should I change them to test a few things? I don't know what a small or large increase would do etc.

Thanks

Hmm now I'm thinking I don't have this installed at all, as I kept cranking the figures in config but nothing seems to be happening. This is what I'm trying out now, and the vessel still has heaps of wiggle and joint movement:

<float name="angularDriveSpring">9000000000000000</float>

<float name="angularDriveDamper">1000000000</float>

<float name="angularMaxForceFactor">-1</float>

<float name="decouplerAndClampJointStrength">-1</float>

<float name="breakForceMultiplier">10000000</float>

<float name="breakTorqueMultiplier">10000000</float>

<float name="breakStrengthPerArea">60000000000</float>

<float name="breakTorquePerMOI">6000000000000000</float>

@stildawn: Unless the code is breaking during load, KJR is functioning. However, there is only so much that can be done, and connecting very heavy parts through a very light part will always cause flexing.

@smart013: No, v2.4 is confirmed compatible with KSP 0.24. Don't know what you're talking about.

Ah, basically what I was trying to avoid is my landers which are attached via the first docking port in career mode (cant remember the name, something like clamp tron?) from wiggling like crazy from a small burn. So there's no value I can change to fix this?

The only option you have is to make sure that there are struts connecting parts on either side of the docking port and that your g-forces are not insanely high (read: above 1.5).

Can I delete JsonFX and ModStatistics, or they're required for normal functioning?

It's much more permanent to change the GameData/ModStatistics/settings.cfg file to disable it.

That bug was not specific to KJR; that was simply that when struts were connected across a decoupler they would zero the decoupler's breaking force, and KJR created virtual struts across decouplers to make things stiffer. Since my method to fix that obviously doesn't work, it has to be done on Squad's end.

ModStats does not affect the performance of any mod that it is packaged with. For your other question, it would be better to ask it in the ModStats thread, as I don't know the details.