[1.3] Kerbal Joint Reinforcement v3.3.3 7/24/17

ferram4

11 hours ago, Critter79606 said:

It would be nice if either KSPe or KJR failed to load that it would throw an error that showed up on the loading screen so you know something went wrong, as I have no idea when it broke on me.

It's problematic to rely on an add'on to warn about being incorrectly loaded as it must be loaded in order to emit the warning. Sometimes the code is "loaded enough" to do such job, most of the time, not.

KSPe can be useful as it detects problems after being loaded, and it is the very first add-on to be loaded. But only me use it currently (it is in a pre-release state yet, almost promoted from Experimental - but some work still need to be done yet). And would be a clutch anyway, as its job is not this one.

I have a very crude tool that could help - but it's UNIX only, Windows support is still RiP (Research in Progress) :P

So it's unlikely I can deliver such a tool in the short term. Unless I manage to convince everybody to install Cygwin! :D

2 hours ago, Lisias said:

So it's unlikely I can deliver such a tool in the short term. Unless I manage to convince everybody to install Cygwin! :D

It's a hurdle, but a smaller one: W10 has the Subsystem for Linux ("WSL") as an installable feature. It's getting slicker with each release, but offers a real working environment without needing cygwin. But it's W10 only, unfortunately.

What is the nature of the tool? (i.e., what's it need to run? :p )

On 12/14/2018 at 10:49 PM, Lisias said:

I need a full log. Usually, binding errors happen anywhere but on the place where you detect it.

Yeah, I'll get to that. I've been looking myself. "Wind Tunnels" had an issue, trying without that. I'm at 200 mods or so and just about every part mod so loading up my KSP isn't exactly fast :).
I installed many things with CKAN which in the past has caused issues. Sigh. MJ also threw a problem, so I manually replaced that. Will see. Have a few things to check, will eventually get around to testing pasta-problems. If it persists, I'll upload my log.

In the meantime... this doesn't even count as spaghetti anymore, right. It's... drifting apart :D
https://imgur.com/a/RUxd4Ky

Edit: well, I think it's running now, according to the console. So Wind Tunnel was the culprit? Hm.
Now I'm not saying I don't have spaghetti anymore, but I threw this craft together in a hurry and there are probably some other problems :).
https://imgur.com/a/0owJ2xD

Edited by Zah

On 12/6/2018 at 8:06 PM, Lisias said:

A proper INSTALL file with detailed instructions are available on the zip file and here.

Im a bit confused...looking at the readme(perhaps im looking at the wrong one.. it has kspAPIextentions as a dependency?? yet..from the thread it looks to be a dead mod.

also..there doesnt seem to be any "000_KSPe.dll included in the download

snip from the readme in spoiler(located in 3.4.0.3 zip file root directory)

Spoiler

<KSP_ROOT>
    [GameData]
        [KerbalJointReinforcement]
            [PluginData]
                config.xml
            CHANGE_LOG.md
            LICENSE
            NOTICE
            README.md
            KerbalJointReinforcement.dll
            KerbalJointReinforcement.version
        000_KSPe.dll
        ModuleManager.dll
    [PluginData]
        [KerbalJointReinforcement]
            user.xml
    KSP.log
    PastDatabase.cfg

2 hours ago, Jesusthebird said:

Im a bit confused...looking at the readme(perhaps im looking at the wrong one.. it has kspAPIextentions as a dependency?? yet..from the thread it looks to be a dead mod.

It's "KSP API Extensions /L" :) 

Toadicus refactored the "KSP API Extensions" part of the add-on some time later, and I didn't merged it yet (a lot of things improved since them on KSP) - so just the KSPe thing is really in development at the present time.

https://github.com/net-lisias-ksp/KSPAPIExtensions

In time, KJR/L and KSPe/L are Experimental . They are mature enough to be used by the end user without fear of breaking the game, but not enough (yet :) ) to be used other add-ons.  :) 

17 hours ago, komodo said:

It's a hurdle, but a smaller one: W10 has the Subsystem for Linux ("WSL") as an installable feature. It's getting slicker with each release, but offers a real working environment without needing cygwin. But it's W10 only, unfortunately.

What is the nature of the tool? (i.e., what's it need to run? :p )

I think we should move this discussion to this thread instead:

Hm... my install still has some weirdness. Currently trying to track down the origin. I'd like to avoid uploading the log when the problem occurred last because that's 250MB and I'm not even sure if KJR is involved.

Autostruts behave weirdly. I get explosions when autostrutting within fairings(on the pad, or in space) and the occasional Kraken in space pulling a craft apart. So far haven't found any offending dll. It's weird. I'll try to reproduce in a shorter game without a massive log. And maybe reduced log spam altogether. 20MB is one thing, 250MB... something else.

17 hours ago, Zah said:

Autostruts behave weirdly. I get explosions when autostrutting within fairings(on the pad, or in space) and the occasional Kraken in space pulling a craft apart. So far haven't found any offending dll. It's weird. I'll try to reproduce in a shorter game without a massive log. And maybe reduced log spam altogether. 20MB is one thing, 250MB... something else.

I've had other mods have issues with the autostruts.  I'd suggest using the KJR instead and use a real strut where you must have one.

12 hours ago, Critter79606 said:

I've had other mods have issues with the autostruts.  I'd suggest using the KJR instead and use a real strut where you must have one.

Hm but then KJR doesn't work properly because I still get plenty of wobble in even smaller rockets(KJR etc looks normal in the logs though). I've had a NaN-Kraken yesterday, so something bigger is amiss. Which is weird because the logfile doesn't point to much.
Modding KSP can be so annoying, sigh. In my previous installs I never had issues with KJR and Autostruts(I had ships in multi kt-range..). It's only in 1.5.1 I get these weird issues. And I'm not using anything extraordinary compared to my previous 1.4.5 and 1.3.1. Clearly something is broken in those 200 mods.

I'll have to reduce some mods. Maybe I'll start with anything that log-spams so the resulting file is better manageable ;). Blegh, KSP y u do dis.

Edited by Zah

3 hours ago, Zah said:

Hm but then KJR doesn't work properly because I still get plenty of wobble in even smaller rockets(KJR etc looks normal in the logs though). I've had a NaN-Kraken yesterday, so something bigger is amiss. Which is weird because the logfile doesn't point to much.
Modding KSP can be so annoying, sigh. In my previous installs I never had issues with KJR and Autostruts(I had ships in multi kt-range..). It's only in 1.5.1 I get these weird issues. And I'm not using anything extraordinary compared to my previous 1.4.5 and 1.3.1. Clearly something is broken in those 200 mods.

I'll have to reduce some mods. Maybe I'll start with anything that log-spams so the resulting file is better manageable ;). Blegh, KSP y u do dis.

Did you install the KJR version from post 1 of this thread? As the title says: it`s for KSP 1.3, not 1.5.x.
Look to the last pages, there you will find a pre-release for a version for KSP 1.5.x.

4 minutes ago, MikeO89 said:

You might try the original KJR modded by wolferado for 1.5.1. I tried it and it worked perfect for me (no noodle craft whatsoever) in 1.5.1 just like the original did in 1.4.3.

@Lisias's release/fork works like a charm aswell .. finally I can build 150 part vessels (or stations) if I wish to

2 hours ago, MikeO89 said:

You might try the original KJR modded by wolferado for 1.5.1 (page 89). I tried it and it worked perfect for me (no noodle craft whatsoever) in 1.5.1 just like the original did in 1.4.3.

I'll give it a try. KJR/L definitely doesn't work for me, visibly noodling boosters on the pad, even though it said "TRACE: Awake". Weird.

There's still two mods that throw a few exceptions in the log but those shouldn't matter, but I'll try without them after the current attempt with the older fork. If I had my new mainboard my loading times would be faster x).

Edit: Hm. /W: no spaghetti, no problems with autostruts.

Edited by Zah

47 minutes ago, MikeO89 said:

You might try the original KJR modded by wolferado for 1.5.1 (page 89). I tried it and it worked perfect for me (no noodle craft whatsoever) in 1.5.1 just like the original did in 1.4.3.

Did anyone found the repository for the source code? 

Hi, guys.

I "recompiled" KJR/L for 1.6. It's on the same link link as the previous version. Yes, really, I recompiled it. The DLL and the ZIP having the same size, the same timestamps and the same URL for downloading was just a coincidence… :sticktongue:

Serious now. KJR/L (and probably all the other forks) is working fine on KSP 1.6 for Stock. Some add-ons may have issues, however.

https://github.com/net-lisias-ksp/Kerbal-Joint-Reinforcement/releases

50318977-d884a080-04ab-11e9-976c-0b9d86c

Spoiler

"Hey! I'm loosing grasp!!!!"
50319067-77110180-04ac-11e9-9ba7-b5adf48

"Come back heeeeere!!!!!!"
50319079-83955a00-04ac-11e9-963e-d0abae2

"Oh-oh… This is gonna hurt a little…."
50319083-87c17780-04ac-11e9-9d2a-27d9bc9

Edited by Lisias
Yeah. tyops.

Running 1.6 with Woferado's modified dll and no problems at all. This update was a pretty smooth transition for me this time around and mods are still chuggin. Realchute was the only one that didn't work out of the gate but a quick update fixed it. Breathing a sigh of relief after updating. I always take a deep breath before each update as I always update straight with mods. Too lazy to go pristeen (got too much going on with my saves and crafts as I only play sandbox), I just make sure I have a backup of previous version on hand.

1 hour ago, TrackerAerospace said:

When are we getting new updates to this ? Currently using 1.5.1 and all the other mods are either up to date or right behind 

I dunno, did you try checking the post two before yours?

On 12/27/2018 at 8:37 PM, kostik said:

KJR destroys my framerate. Without it I get around 120 fps, with it I get 20

Unavoidable side side efect of adding lots and lots of joints between parts. However... 6 times slower is a bit too much. 

Are you using auto-struts too? Autostrut to Grandparent has similar effects (mainly when you use EEX to mass edit the autostruting). Using both is nuts - when using KJR, I usually mass Autostrut everything to OFF and eventually set one or another part if needed. 

— — — POST — EDIT — — — 

Check if the "debug" option is set to "0" on the config.xml (if you are using my fork, you need to check the config.xml on <KSPROOT>/PluginData/KerbalJointReinforcement too.

If it's on "1", lots and lots of debugging messages are flooding KSP.log - and this can be a source of dropped framerates - if you are using my fork, it would explain the huge framerate drop. I really use the debugging logs for debugging. :) 

If anything else fails, publish your KSP.log somewhere and link it here and I will give it a peek.

— — — POST — POST — EDIT — — — 

I detected a glitch on KSPe that prevented debugging logs to be suppressed. Since KJR/L make use of extensive logging in order to detect flaws in situ, such glitch can be fatal if enough parts are being tracked - and it's unavoidable, as the code that would suppress such messages when the debug option is off was… bugged :blush: . This could be the source of your problems, @kostik.

All users of KSPe are urged to update to the latest version (2.1.0.5 at the moment).

https://github.com/net-lisias-ksp/KSPAPIExtensions/releases

Edited by Lisias
post-post-edit

On 12/28/2018 at 6:57 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

Just an FYI, Starwaster has released Kerbal Joint Reinforcement Continued, it's available on CKAN now.

No idea how it compares to @Lisias's version

It's a direct fork from Ferram4's. None of my fixes (neither the glitches :P ).

It's a good choice for people willing to use KJR with his mods right now without a fuss.

— — — POST — EDIT — — — 

I just checked the CKAN meta file. He had pinpoint this thread on forum as Resource. :) 

He also is restricting the supported versions to 1.4 series only. At least for now.

I didn't tested the original branch from @ferram4 myself, but some other guys here appears to have recompiled it without the KSP Version restriction with success, and I don't think this had passed unnoticed by Starwaster - so my guess is that he's maintaining his fork for his own purposes, not exactly to develop the thing. But, again, this is something someone will have to ask him directly. :) 

If anyone convince him to lift the KSP Version restriction, I think it would be good - "My" KJR will need some more care before getting ready to mainstream, and in the mean time, CKAN users need a stable and reliable fork to use!

Edited by Lisias
post edit. and typos galore!

6 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Just an FYI, Starwaster has released Kerbal Joint Reinforcement Continued, it's available on CKAN now.

No idea how it compares to @Lisias's version

I have tested both fork's on KSP 1.6 both work as a charm there .. I can now have vessels with 150 parts again, thanks to everyone who puts effort, time and nerves into KJR. I just assume it's a hell of a work!

(Yet a) New toy, boys. :) 

Pre Release 3.4.0.4 available here: https://github.com/net-lisias-ksp/Kerbal-Joint-Reinforcement/releases

You MUST update to the latests KSPe: https://github.com/net-lisias-ksp/KSPAPIExtensions/releases

This release added the option to use ConfigNode files (user.cfg) to configure your KJR/L. Just create a user.cfg file on <KSP_ROOT>/PluginData/KerbalJointReinforcement and things will work. The user.xml file will be ignored if a user.cfg file is present.

The syntax is simple as possible:

KJR
{
	debug = False
	breakTorqueMultiplier = 0.5
	Exempt
	{
		PartType = foo
		ModuleType = bar
		DecouplerStiffeningExtensionType = foobar
	}
	Exempt
	{
		DecouplerStiffeningExtensionType = barfoo
	}

}

Some (very) small performance optimizations and a probable memory leak were also fixed.

A log flooding problem was detected on KSPe and fixed on the latest release, that also implements some new features used by this version of KJR/L. My frame-rate didn't improved too much (perhaps about 10 to 15%, I think), so I'm unsure if this was the (only) cause for the dramatic drop on the frame-rate mentioned above.