[1.3] Kerbal Joint Reinforcement v3.3.3 7/24/17

ferram4

On 12/30/2018 at 1:30 AM, Lisias said:

Download this: 
https://github.com/net-lisias-ksp/KSPAPIExtensions/releases/tag/PRERELEASE%2F2.1.0.5]

Then read this:
https://github.com/net-lisias-ksp/KSPAPIExtensions/blob/dev/INSTALL.md

And download this:
https://github.com/net-lisias-ksp/Kerbal-Joint-Reinforcement/releases/tag/RELEASE%2F3.4.0.4

And after, read this:
https://github.com/net-lisias-ksp/Kerbal-Joint-Reinforcement/blob/master/INSTALL.md

How you unpack things depends of the O.S you are using. Since I'm on a UNIX machine, I make heavy use of the terminal and Midnight Commander - this little devil open zip files as they were directories, allowing me to copy things as we did on the old times with Norton Commander. :) 

large.png

What Operating System are you using?

— — — POST EDIT — — — 

People on Windows could use this:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/mcwin32/

Be cautious: this is a very powerful tool - and as every powerful tool, it can be a hazard when improperly handled.

I don't get why it is so specific to mc. Actually it could be run over WSL with any cind of X server implementation on Windows.

1 hour ago, kremonia said:

I don't get why it is so specific to mc. Actually it could be run over WSL with any cind of X server implementation on Windows.

It's not. from the original post: 

How you unpack things depends of the O.S you are using. Since I'm on a UNIX machine, I make heavy use of the terminal and Midnight Commander 

3 hours ago, AdmiralSirJohn said:

Additional information: The break in my space station seems to happen at right around 150m distance.  Before then, it's fine; after then, it's in multiple pieces.

Hope this helps.

Try it with and without KJR installed. My guess is that since KJR/L is borked due that Reflection issues, it's not working at all no matter what. And this is something I can't fix, the only way is to fix the DLLs issues on your installment.

Edited by Lisias
ugh… forgot a "n't" and changed completely the meaning of the phrase! sorry!

On 1/21/2019 at 8:08 PM, Lisias said:

It's not. from the original post: 

How you unpack things depends of the O.S you are using. Since I'm on a UNIX machine, I make heavy use of the terminal and Midnight Commander 

First of all great thanks for maintaining this package. Because it is a game changer in KSP. But my point was that your instructions was a bit confusing. By the way what flavor of unix do you using? Or you referring to OS X?

5 minutes ago, kremonia said:

First of all great thanks for maintaining this package. Because it is a game changer in KSP. But my point was that your instructions was a bit confusing. By the way what flavor of unix do you using? Or you referring to OS X?

Thanks.

I'm an old dog on this business, so some things newer guys finds complicated it's so simple for me that I have a bad time trying to understand the issue. It's kind of when you were younger and was still learning to read - do you remember how hard it was? Now see how easy is nowadays - it's exactly the same about this issue for me. :) 

The instructions appears to be confusing because you, probably, are not used to zip/unzip and move things on your machine. Drag'n'drop interfaces are good for a lot of things, but on a few things it's a drag :sticktongue: and IMHO this is one of such things.

So, since I don't know exactly what you are using, I say "copy the folder GameData/PluginName" into your "GameData" and not exactly the steps you need to do in order to accomplish the task on your O.S. 

By the way, OS X is a Unix OS - it's officially certified as UNIX, by the way. Linux, on the other hand, is a UNIX-like - because it does not follows all the "rules" one should follow to be certifiable. FreeBSD does, by  the way (but they didn't bored to pay for the certification). On the end of the day, we call the whole shebang "UNIX" and I'm ok with this. :)

That tool I posted (Midnight Commander) is a very powerful one. And as every powerful tool, it can be very dangerous - you will need some help if you want to mangle on the "Arcane Ways of the Command Line". On the Windows Explorer, when you "delete" something it's usually goes to the Trash Bin. On the command line, when you delete something it's gone for good - no questions asked, no way to undo it. However, MC usually asks if you really want to do dangerous things, so we usually have a chance to prevent a disaster. :D 

2 hours ago, Lisias said:

Thanks.

I'm an old dog on this business, so some things newer guys finds complicated it's so simple for me that I have a bad time trying to understand the issue. It's kind of when you were younger and was still learning to read - do you remember how hard it was? Now see how easy is nowadays - it's exactly the same about this issue for me. :) 

The instructions appears to be confusing because you, probably, are not used to zip/unzip and move things on your machine. Drag'n'drop interfaces are good for a lot of things, but on a few things it's a drag :sticktongue: and IMHO this is one of such things.

So, since I don't know exactly what you are using, I say "copy the folder GameData/PluginName" into your "GameData" and not exactly the steps you need to do in order to accomplish the task on your O.S. 

By the way, OS X is a Unix OS - it's officially certified as UNIX, by the way. Linux, on the other hand, is a UNIX-like - because it does not follows all the "rules" one should follow to be certifiable. FreeBSD does, by  the way (but they didn't bored to pay for the certification). On the end of the day, we call the whole shebang "UNIX" and I'm ok with this. :)

That tool I posted (Midnight Commander) is a very powerful one. And as every powerful tool, it can be very dangerous - you will need some help if you want to mangle on the "Arcane Ways of the Command Line". On the Windows Explorer, when you "delete" something it's usually goes to the Trash Bin. On the command line, when you delete something it's gone for good - no questions asked, no way to undo it. However, MC usually asks if you really want to do dangerous things, so we usually have a chance to prevent a disaster. :D 

Ok, I see a great misunderstanding. Since KSP is runing on all platforms I'm using on a daily basis (Win10, Linux, OS X) that's why when I saw a mc I've started to search for specific application (probably issues with copying a directory structure). Usually I'm using unpack for just unpacking. And I believe  I'm ok with console =)))
image.png

Since It is fun to run something on OS not to be intended to run on I wandered if you compiled mono for System V or something.

Edited by kremonia

5 hours ago, Lisias said:

Try it with and without KJR installed. My guess is that since KJR/L is borked due that Reflection issues, it's not working at all no matter what. And this is something I can't fix, the only way is to fix the DLLs issues on your installment.

I have no idea how to do that.

And the station shakes itself into a dozen pieces without KJR, two pieces with it.

Edited by AdmiralSirJohn

55 minutes ago, AdmiralSirJohn said:

It's a drag. You need to find every occurrence of the string "System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type" and download and install the plugin that contains it. Yeah, hell of a work in your case. :( 

59 minutes ago, AdmiralSirJohn said:

And the station shakes itself into a dozen pieces without KJR, two pieces with it.

Humm. So aparently KJR is running. Do you have more than one copy running? If yes, delete mine - that other one is doing the job, If not, good news, "mine" is working. Edit or create <KSP_ROOT>/PluginData/KerbalJointReinforcement/user.cfg to:

KJR
{
	debug = False
	breakTorqueMultiplier = 0.5
	breakForceMultiplier = 0.5
}

And try again. If still failing, change the values to 0.25 . then to 0.125 and so on. If the problem persists, chage "False" to "True", make the station to explode again (put back the 0.5) and send me the KSP.log. And a copy of your craft file.

Will do, with thanks.

EDIT: Tests resulted in station break @150m distance, with shaking beginning approximately 160-175m.

Discovered that, if camera is focused on station, no shaking or disassembly happens.  If focus is on approaching craft, that's when the station breaks at the root part.

Log file to come.

15 hours ago, AdmiralSirJohn said:

You need to install ToadicusTools, otherwise TweakableEverything will not be able to run and will bork regularly on every frame. This is also killing KSPe, and once KSPe is killed, everything that relies on it borks too - in this case, KJR/L.

[ERR 01:22:40.423] ADDON BINDER: Cannot resolve assembly: ToadicusTools, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null

[ERR 01:22:40.424] AssemblyLoader: Exception loading 'TweakableDeployablePanels': System.Reflection.ReflectionTypeLoadException: The classes in the module cannot be loaded.
  at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Reflection.Assembly:GetTypes (bool)
  at System.Reflection.Assembly.GetTypes () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at AssemblyLoader.LoadAssemblies () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

There's a very good change that your explosions are happening due this:

[EXC 01:54:29.191] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
	TweakableEverything.ModuleTweakableDockingNode.FixedUpdate ()

This exception is spamming your log - not a surprise, as that "FixedUpdate" thingy is executed about 20 times per second (IIRC).

From now one, I think you need to ask the TweakableEverything maintainer for assistance. I can't help further without having this fixed in a way or another (deleting TweakableEverything woud solve it too, but you installed it for a reason, so I think it's better to fix it instead).

5 hours ago, AdmiralSirJohn said:

Also, I have two zip files: KerbalJointReinforcement-3.4.0.4 and Kerbal-Joint-Reinforcement-master

this one:
https://github.com/net-lisias-ksp/Kerbal-Joint-Reinforcement/releases/download/RELEASE%2F3.4.0.4/KerbalJointReinforcement-3.4.0.4.zip

(from where did you got that "-master" zip?)

On 12/29/2018 at 4:30 PM, Lisias said:

Thanks for all your hard work @Lisias it's great to see that you've picked up so many of these mods.

I would just like to confirm, if I only want to install KJR for KSP 1.6 like I've been using it for several years, do I need to download and install both the links you provided? I'm not sure I need other features, is why I'm asking.

Basically, I don't think I'm making sense of the two links and your comments for KSPe file(s). You say "must" in that post, so would that mean in fact both are needed to run KJR? Or just the one?

Sorry for my confusion and appreciate your clarification!

Edited by scottadges

1 hour ago, Lisias said:

I don't remember.  I think it was from earlier in the thread, where you tell someone to grab two versions. (as Scott just posted...)

Edited by AdmiralSirJohn

6 minutes ago, scottadges said:

I would just like to confirm, if I only want to install KJR for KSP 1.6 as I've been using it for several years, do I need to download and install both the links you provided?

Or do I only need the one for the Kerbal-Joint-Reinforcement?

Yes. You need both KSP API Extensions (by me!) and KJR/L.  KJR/L uses KSPe to Log and DataFiles enhanced support, and without it KJR/L will not even load as it's a hard dependency.

From my experience just now installing, I reviewed the INSTALL.md file which appears to show where everything should be when all is said and done:

The following file layout must be present after installation:

```
<KSP_ROOT>
	[GameData]
		[KerbalJointReinforcement]
			[PluginData]
				config.xml
			CHANGE_LOG.md
			LICENSE
			NOTICE
			README.md
			KerbalJointReinforcement.dll
			KerbalJointReinforcement.version
		000_KSPe.dll
		ModuleManager.dll
	[PluginData]
		[KerbalJointReinforcement]
			user.xml
	KSP.log
	PastDatabase.cfg
```

### Dependencies

* [KSP API Extensions/L](https://github.com/net-lisias-ksp/KSPAPIExtensions)

Edited by scottadges