Jool is a gigantic plant lifeform

NASAFanboy

Thanks.

But would it be possible for Jool to have evolved to feed on heat from its core?

How the hell would I know? It's a computer game. :D

So Jool is ether a giant Chia planet or maybe that planet from Solaris?

The planet from Solaris/Solyaris is called Solaris/Solyaris. I like to think Eve is its equivalent. I don't care for the remake, I like the original Soviet movie better, and they made the ocean of it by using aluminium dust paint, which looks kind of like Eve.

• 4 years later...
2 minutes ago, Aeroboi said:

@EndTraveler Oh come on! You just do not do this mkay :huh:

Two Thousand Freaking Thirteen :confused::ph34r:

Was it really necessary to react to this, most of the people that posted here aren't even visiting this website anymore.

I'm not saying that the world is on fire but this is ridiculous.

ok, sorry to do this.

Edited by EndTraveler

On 10/30/2013 at 1:28 PM, lajoswinkler said:

The planet from Solaris/Solyaris is called Solaris/Solyaris. I like to think Eve is its equivalent. I don't care for the remake, I like the original Soviet movie better, and they made the ocean of it by using aluminium dust paint, which looks kind of like Eve.

Since it's already been necro'd, let me just say how glad I am that someone else has sat through the original Russian version of Solaris (with subs) :)

Those of you that haven't, you possibly should. It's a little artsy in that it uses silence to make a statement, so you'll either love it or hate it. Either way, it should be on the list for any Kerbal fan imo. It isn't graphic at all, but it sure is creepy :) 

25 minutes ago, eddiew said:

Since it's already been necro'd, let me just say how glad I am that someone else has sat through the original Russian version of Solaris (with subs) :)

Those of you that haven't, you possibly should. It's a little artsy in that it uses silence to make a statement, so you'll either love it or hate it. Either way, it should be on the list for any Kerbal fan imo. It isn't graphic at all, but it sure is creepy :) 

Hm, I wouldn't say it's not graphic at all.

Spoiler

The scene where one of Hari's copies commits suicide by drinking liquid oxygen and then experiences ressurection is pretty graphic and disturbing.

41 minutes ago, lajoswinkler said:

Hm, I wouldn't say it's not graphic at all.

Reveal hidden contents

The scene where one of Hari's copies commits suicide by drinking liquid oxygen and then experiences ressurection is pretty graphic and disturbing.

I mean there's chestburster graphic, and then there's knowing that something horrible has happened off-camera.

Original Solaris tends to be the latter :) 

I guess this means that this is THE THREAD THAT WOULD NOT DIE.

Which kind of goes with the green colour and all.  And though 5 years is a bit long, it's within the usual range for directly connecting sequels.

But as with all sequels, problem is the best stuff has already been done.  Two of them were the first two replies. :)

On 10/29/2013 at 5:20 AM, Hacktech said:

Stop smoking that green stuff man.. :)

On 10/29/2013 at 5:25 AM, Umlüx said:

maybe jool is a giant compressed ball of all the dead kerbals we ever killed :confused:

On 10/30/2013 at 5:46 AM, Tommygun said:

So Jool is ether a giant Chia planet or maybe that planet from Solaris?

I've not seen either version of "Solaris".  Think I perhaps should.

Unfortunately, all I'm thinking of is the worst episode of Doctor Who (and that's got some serious competition).  I mean, really, people have no proper concept of scale.  At the size of planets, things get squished and that's about it.

http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Kill_the_Moon_(TV_story)

On 10/29/2013 at 11:20 AM, Hacktech said:

Stop smoking that green stuff man.. :)

seeing as this thread has been necro'd, can we get this comment taken off the thread and a warning issued? I made an even less obvious reference to drugs (banned according to forum rules) and my post got removed and I was issued a warning.

I may sound somewhat bitter about it and I don't really care because rules is rules apparently.

Edit: I also realise this is a somewhat pointless endeavour in terms of the user not being active any more, but still. 

Edited by MR L A

On 10/29/2013 at 2:09 PM, Sirrobert said:

EVERYTHING we know about life will die in 100% oxygen. It's pritty lethal stuf

You definitely overestimate oxygen toxicity.

Oxygen is toxic to humans at partial pressure exceeding 2 bars.

Astronauts on Apollo missions flew in a 100% O2  0.33bar atmosphere, spending weeks in it.But before flight they'd spend a couple hours in full 1bar 100% oxygen to purge nitrogen from their blood in preparation for the pressure drop. Similarly, current preparation to EVA on ISS involves lengthy 'prebreathing' of pure oxygen in the airlock before the pressure is reduced, and EVA life support provides pure oxygen too.

Yep, plants require CO2. Humans can live and work in pure oxygen for a long time... of course providing there's no fire.

25 minutes ago, Sharpy said:

Oxygen is toxic to humans at partial pressure exceeding 2 bars.

In 24 to 48 hours, I think.  And that's in adults who have a full size body with many features designed to turn the external concentration of oxygen into just a trickle going to the cells.  Like all that dead skin on our surface.  I know that 1-bar pure oxygen on newborns will destroy some structures like their visual system well before that.

25 minutes ago, Sharpy said:

Yep, plants require CO2. Humans can live and work in pure oxygen for a long time... of course providing there's no fire.

Without a small amount of carbon dioxide, people can pass out as the level of carbon dioxide in the blood is the primary respiratory control.  I think spacecraft breathing circuits handle this by always having a degree of rebreathing and adjustment of the carbon dioxide by the scrubbers to keep it low but present.

7 hours ago, Jacke said:

Without a small amount of carbon dioxide, people can pass out as the level of carbon dioxide in the blood is the primary respiratory control

Correct but also incorrect. The amount of CO2 in the atmosphere is completely unimportant, it is the amount of CO2 in the blood which is produced by the body that acts as a regulator - your body has absolutely no way to measure in atmosphere CO2 levels, only what is in the blood, and seeing as the lungs do not absorb CO2, the only CO2 in the blood is produced by respiration etc. 

Which leads to the opposite case... breathing pure N2 will allow you to purge CO2 from your blood, but it won't oxygenate it.

I've heard horror stories (I'm not sure that they aren't just stories) of people going to retrieve frozen cells from these liquid N2 containers used for long term storage of mammalian cells. The gas inside in mostly N2 with very little oxygen. Often one puts their head right over the opening to look at the racks of containers and such to see which one they need to pull out. Supposedly, one should not inhale when doing this (or just not take too long), because what you breath in is severely depleted in O2, but you won't feel it until its too late.

5 minutes ago, KerikBalm said:

Which leads to the opposite case... breathing pure N2 will allow you to purge CO2 from your blood, but it won't oxygenate it.

I've heard horror stories (I'm not sure that they aren't just stories) of people going to retrieve frozen cells from these liquid N2 containers used for long term storage of mammalian cells.

It's a variant on the general case of Confined Spaces, which are a particular hazard in many industries, each one having its own set of safety measures.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.