[PLUGIN+PARTS][0.23] SCANsat terrain mapping

damny

Hi. I love this mod - it's very nice and adds nice gameplay.

Have you considered whether you could access other mods' resource maps? I'm thinking specifically of KSP Interstellar. I don't believe there's an in-game way to look for various resources in that game other than the uranium and thorium. So water, lithium and the like can only be found by looking at the files outside the game or hunting with multiple landings in-game. I don't know if you have ever thought of interfacing with that mod...

Sorry if this has been posted before. cross-posted on the KSPI thread.

Ok, try this out: http://www./download/u5egmogu8nisctq/SCANsat_Toolbar_V0_2.zip

It should only load when your active vessel has a SCANsat part on it (anything with the SCANsat module should work if you added it to command pods, probe cores, etc...). There are three buttons, one for the main menu with options for all four windows, one for the big map and one for the small map. If you don't want any of them just turn them off in the toolbar config.

Installation is the same as before. You must have the latest official version of SCANsat installed (or one of my two releases). Copy the four files from the SCANsat folder in my package to the main SCANsat folder, overwrite the existing SCANsat.dll file and make sure the three icon files have been copied over. The main SCANsat folder must be in the correct location for the toolbar icons to function (/Main KSP Folder/GameData/Scansat).

Blizzy78's toolbar plugin must already be installed or this version of SCANsat won't work. The only way to open the maps/windows is through the toolbar buttons.

http://i.imgur.com/HVnruc1.jpg

Caution, this does not play well with rasterpropmonitors. The scansat map does not show IVA on the monitor if you install this and requires a fresh install of scansat to regain the IVA monitor map.

Myself I would prefer no changes to function, just a button (or three) on the toolbar that toggle the map...

You probably need to go back to a clean install and try this again with the last official version. This kind of thing probably doesn't have any other simple fix.

Actually, it did have one! I noticed I also couldn't access the kethane maps, so I tried updating that one, and voila! It now works like a charm. Just in case anybody else has the same issue, or in general: a bugged kethane install can upset Mapsat in a big way. Thanks anyhow!

Rune. I didn't even lose the maps :D

Edited by Rune

Caution, this does not play well with rasterpropmonitors. The scansat map does not show IVA on the monitor if you install this and requires a fresh install of scansat to regain the IVA monitor map.

Myself I would prefer no changes to function, just a button (or three) on the toolbar that toggle the map...

so that is why my Monitor says now 'no contact with sat'... -thanks.

I have a feature request for this great plugin. I am currently driving a rover on the mun towards a distant anomaly, and i am using the zoom-in feature of the "big map" quite a lot. It would be useful to have an additional button for that window that toggles the minimum and maximum values for the "height-to->color/greyscale" logic from "global" (as in for the whole big map) to "local", utilizing the whole color range in the subwindow. That would really help in recognizing local terrain features and for planning travelling paths. Currently, the subwindow in my position is mostly a smear of red and purple, but the terrain actually has quite some hills and ridges that dont stand out in the zoomed-in map.

I'm not taking requests or suggestions and I have no further plans to modify the SCANsat code.
so that is why my Monitor says now 'no contact with sat'... -thanks.

Unless I have forgotten the meaning of `no further plans` it seems that active development of scansat has halted too so I guess it might be time to uninstall and look for a new mapping mod in active development.

Shame that default behaviour got changed recently to bork integration with the only mods I regard as uninstallable (toolbar and rasterpropmonitors).

Unless I have forgotten the meaning of `no further plans` it seems that active development of scansat has halted too so I guess it might be time to uninstall and look for a new mapping mod in active development.

Shame that default behaviour got changed recently to bork integration with the only mods I regard as uninstallable (toolbar and rasterpropmonitors).

Why would you do that? Even if it's had development halted, it's in a working condition with no persistent, breaking bugs...

Plus, there is no other mapping mod in active development...

Awesome MOD! I've just set-up two satellites over Kerbin, works perfect:)

I modified my approach to new planets too:

1) Send satellites with these sensors to get info.

2) Send probe to land and send back some info.

3) Send return landing mission.

(if you have some other interesting steps, please PM me, cause this is offtopic)

:)

Hopefully something like this will be in the full game, cause it is brilliant :)

And you might be forgetting that DMagic is not the author of the scansat mod is why he might be saying no further plans to modify the SCANsat code and you don't like rasterpropmonitors have you ever try'ed http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/67450.

I have no idea how Raster Prop Monitors uses SCANsat, from a quick look at the code it's not obvious to me. But that said, the default behavior is unchanged, the official version should still work as it always has and if my recompile is breaking things I can take a look (there seems to be some confusion over which version of .Net is being used by SCANsat and RPM's SCANsat module).

Some changes were necessary to remove the minimized icon from the small map and to prevent a small window stub from remaining once the green probe icon was removed. There is probably a way to do this that doesn't break RPM integration, and anyone is free to figure that out and release it themselves.

I have no idea how Raster Prop Monitors uses SCANsat, from a quick look at the code it's not obvious to me. But that said, the default behavior is unchanged, the official version should still work as it always has and if my recompile is breaking things I can take a look (there seems to be some confusion over which version of .Net is being used by SCANsat and RPM's SCANsat module).

Some changes were necessary to remove the minimized icon from the small map and to prevent a small window stub from remaining once the green probe icon was removed. There is probably a way to do this that doesn't break RPM integration, and anyone is free to figure that out and release it themselves.

Some how Dmagic the toolbar addon you posted breaks the ScanSat RMP ;.;

Edited by Mecripp2

Some how Dmagic the toolbar addon you posted brakes the ScanSat RMP ;.;

Yeah, I know why it breaks it, I just don't know exactly how RPM detects the SCANsat map. There are probably simple ways to get rid of the minimized SCANsat icon without breaking RPM (or changing how RPM works), but I'll leave that to someone else.

Yeah, I know why it breaks it, I just don't know exactly how RPM detects the SCANsat map. There are probably simple ways to get rid of the minimized SCANsat icon without breaking RPM (or changing how RPM works), but I'll leave that to someone else.

For me recompiling rpm scansat plugin with your scansat moded dll as reference fix this.

And you might be forgetting that DMagic is not the author of the scansat mod is why he might be saying no further plans to modify the SCANsat code and you don't like rasterpropmonitors have you ever try'ed http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/67450.

This was indeed the case. My apologies to Damny. I thought scansat was going down as that is what happens to mods that have development stopped. Maybe not today but soon (this was how we got the wonderful Scansat) I also used the wrong word. I meant mods I could not uninstall. I realise reading what I wrote that I talked about mods that were very uninstallable...

I love rasterPropMonitors and toolbar is essential (which is why scansat having the button on the toolbar would be great except it borks RPM which I love)

Your link looks very interesting. Is that a control room for unmanned probes? If it is at the `just install and it works` stage I`ll have a good look at that.

For me recompiling rpm scansat plugin with your scansat moded dll as reference fix this.

Unfortunately, for me this may as well be in another language. Any chance you could post what I am guessing is a working version that will mean scansat can be used with toolbar and also RPM?

Is this the bit inside the scansatRPM folder?

Edited by John FX

Unfortunately, for me this may as well be in another language. Any chance you could post what I am guessing is a working version that will mean scansat can be used with toolbar and also RPM?

Is this the bit inside the scansatRPM folder?

I talk too quickly, that works for me on v1 of the modded dll but just tested now with v2 and dont work... sorry.

Salud.

I talk too quickly, that works for me on v1 of the modded dll but just tested now with v2 and dont work... sorry.

Salud.

Now that is weird, the only change made to the SCANsat code was a few access modifiers.

If you don't mind, can you try it with this version: --------

Edit: No need to have another version floating around if it doesn't help anything.

Edited by DMagic

Now that is weird, the only change made to the SCANsat code was a few access modifiers.

If you don't mind, can you try it with this version: --------

Does not work. :( , with the v1 i see some exceptions related to rpmscansat in the logs, so I try with the recompile thing and works. But now just fails silently.

Edited by agises

I downloaded the RPM source and recompiled against my version (the second toolbar release) of SCANsat. Everything seems to be working ok, the map loads up on the cockpit screen and the toolbar buttons work fine as well.

agises, when you checked this, did you recompile and replace all three RPM .dll's or only the SCANsatRPM.dll? I found that you have to replace all three files, otherwise it won't work (maybe the MechjebRPM.dll isn't necessary, but the main .dll definitely seems to be).

Recompiling is simple if you know what you're doing, but if you don't it can be a little mystifying and requires software that most people probably don't have. So it's easy to fix, but it's up to Mihara if he wants to distribute another package or not (technically anyone should be able to release it, but since they're still around and active I don't want to do that).

I downloaded the RPM source and recompiled against my version (the second toolbar release) of SCANsat. Everything seems to be working ok, the map loads up on the cockpit screen and the toolbar buttons work fine as well.

agises, when you checked this, did you recompile and replace all three RPM .dll's or only the SCANsatRPM.dll? I found that you have to replace all three files, otherwise it won't work (maybe the MechjebRPM.dll isn't necessary, but the main .dll definitely seems to be).

Recompiling is simple if you know what you're doing, but if you don't it can be a little mystifying and requires software that most people probably don't have. So it's easy to fix, but it's up to Mihara if he wants to distribute another package or not (technically anyone should be able to release it, but since they're still around and active I don't want to do that).

I must have missed something yesterday when I did the tests, I'm glad it work anyway, I'll try again later.

Salud.

You mean just reinstall SCANsatRPM and maybe MechJeb2RPM after we put in the SCANsat.dll you posted to get it to work?

You mean just reinstall SCANsatRPM and maybe MechJeb2RPM after we put in the SCANsat.dll you posted to get it to work?

No, you need to download the RPM source from Github, open the .sln project file in Visual Studio, reset the standard references to your install of KSP (you'll need the Mechjeb.dll too), and reset the SCANsat reference to the toolbar version of the .dll. Then you can recompile and replace all three RPM dll's with the newly generated files.

It's simple if you already know how to do it, not so much if you've never done it before.

Ok, so MOARdV has stated that a toolbar-compatible SCANsatRPM dll isn't entirely feasible right now:

Yeah, recompiling SCANsat means that SCANsat RPM won't link with it (because the DLL is newer / changed). Speaking for myself (since I haven't talked to Mihara about it), we'd have to recompile SCANsat RPM so it'd work with it ... but that might break SCANsat RPM for anyone using the "official" SCANsat. It's a bit of a tough situation - I don't want to maintain two versions of RPM with a single DLL linkage being the only difference, and I definitely don't want to link only to the recompiled SCANsat, since the link to it is buried in the SCANsat thread, which means dealing with support issues when people don't know about it and come here asking why SCANsat doesn't work with us. If SCANsat development really has stopped (which appears to be the case), the best situation would be for someone to pick it up (the license permits this, IIRC) and release an "official" SCANsat Continued that includes the Toolbar integration.

So my best guess would be for either danmy to come back already, or for someone else to take it over and make SCANsat Continued (with danmy's permission, of course). Users of the "official" SCANsat would need to be notified of the new release either way.. but then, it's no more than they would normally do to check for updates to their mods - check the forum threads. So... where do we go from here? If the people who have successfully recompiled the dll to fix this are willing to share it, do we have an "community hotfix for toolbar integration" of sorts? Or do we wait for danmy to come back and tell us what we can do?