[PLUGIN+PARTS][0.23] SCANsat terrain mapping

damny

Has anyone PM'd Danmy to ask whether he is continuing with this ?

No. I have substantive additions to mod as well (not that toolbar support does not count). In an effort to understand and calculate the optimal orbital parameters for scanning (with one vessel in one session, I suppose), I have modified the SCANsat plugin to display more than one past and future orbit on the Big Map.

Like this:

IhLCawM.png

This isn't quite correct (it's not showing any 'future' orbits, which would be more and more translucent and blue). Nevertheless, the idea should be clear. If this parameter is high enough, and you have an orbit which closes in few enough equator passes, then these dots (which, by the way, are larger and hopefully will be sized relative to the FOV of the scanner), then you should visually see the covering of the map.

Also, I think I would like to adjust the parameters of the SAR scanner as it seems very difficult (if not impossible) to get anywhere near an ideal orbit. But maybe my orbit scanner isn't correct.

Anyway, let me know if anyone finds the original author and/or you have suggestions.

Hey there guys, is there any way to rename the action button [Open Map] in the MapTraq module?

Here's why:

The map/big map itself is opened via the buttons in Toolbar, however it stays "offline" - you still have to click the Maptraq scanner to see map's updates, anomalies, your ship, orbit etc.

I thought about changing the Maptraq button to something like [Activate Planetary Navigation] or so, because that's what it does (makes the map go "online") and it sounds a bit cooler.

I looked into the .cfg files but there isn't any option to rename the button (only those "name = SCANsat; sensorType = 0..."), so I assume it's hidden somewhere in the .dll file.

Unfortunately I lack the skills to edit the .dll itself, so I ask you guys. Could someone who better understands coding please edit it for me? (Or would that screw something in the mod?)

Hey there guys, is there any way to rename the action button [Open Map] in the MapTraq module?

Here's why:

The map/big map itself is opened via the buttons in Toolbar, however it stays "offline" - you still have to click the Maptraq scanner to see map's updates, anomalies, your ship, orbit etc.

I thought about changing the Maptraq button to something like [Activate Planetary Navigation] or so, because that's what it does (makes the map go "online") and it sounds a bit cooler.

I looked into the .cfg files but there isn't any option to rename the button (only those "name = SCANsat; sensorType = 0..."), so I assume it's hidden somewhere in the .dll file.

Unfortunately I lack the skills to edit the .dll itself, so I ask you guys. Could someone who better understands coding please edit it for me? (Or would that screw something in the mod?)

As I understand it, the purpose of the MapTraq is essentially to read the already scanned information for the body your are orbiting, regardless of any other scanners on that vessel.

The net result is that SCANsat requires you to:

* install a part to view any mapping data while in a flight

* activate that part to any data (presumably this means it can draw electricity, if so configured)

This is the intended design of the mod. Once you do this, however, the maps should work normally even when accessed through the toolbars.

Am I correct in understanding you want the 2nd point to be changed? Ie, you want the map to be active and available always if MapTraq is installed? Or do you really simply just want the button on the MapTraq to be renamed?

The actual button names are determined by the type of scanner, that can easily be changed, but it requires editing the plugin.

In my opinion, the best way to deal with the MapTraq part is to get rid of it and replace it with a ModuleManager config that adds the SCANsat module to every command pod and probe core. I don't think there's any real reason why you should need and extra part. An activate/deactivate button could be left there if it requires energy, or you don't want background scanning to take place for some reason. The placeholder part doesn't really encourage its use anyway.

Am I correct in understanding you want the 2nd point to be changed? Ie, you want the map to be active and available always if MapTraq is installed? Or do you really simply just want the button on the MapTraq to be renamed?

I probably worded my post incorrectly - sorry, not a native english speaker.

I actually like having to click the Maptraq button to activate the map, I just want to rename the button. (and yes, I already have a .cfg that adds the Maptraq module into command pods)

Hi guys, brilliant Mod!

I have a question - Can I somehow mark a place (biome/anomaly for instance), and have it appear on the real map (like a target for instance?). Is it possible to do this? I'd like to mark and visit a specific biome/anomaly that I see in SCANSat map, but dont know how to find it precisely.

Any tips are welcome,

Thanks

Hi guys, brilliant Mod!

I have a question - Can I somehow mark a place (biome/anomaly for instance), and have it appear on the real map (like a target for instance?). Is it possible to do this? I'd like to mark and visit a specific biome/anomaly that I see in SCANSat map, but dont know how to find it precisely.

Any tips are welcome,

Thanks

Hover your mouse over it and it shows the co-ordinates. If you have MJ installed, you can type those into the landing guidance and it shows up in the map. Alternatively, you can change your orbit so it passes over the point, then burn retrograde until the orbit looks like it finishes there. It helps to keep the big map open during all this (yes, blocking your view of the ship).

The actual button names are determined by the type of scanner, that can easily be changed, but it requires editing the plugin.

In my opinion, the best way to deal with the MapTraq part is to get rid of it and replace it with a ModuleManager config that adds the SCANsat module to every command pod and probe core. I don't think there's any real reason why you should need and extra part. An activate/deactivate button could be left there if it requires energy, or you don't want background scanning to take place for some reason. The placeholder part doesn't really encourage its use anyway.

After lurking a while, quietly following the new developments (thanks!) in this great mod, I thought I'd just chime in with a 2¢ opinion on this. I'd rather have the separate module as well, I don't need the map plugin on every ship, so a vote to keep the map traq the way it is, if anyone wants it on every ship, they can use module manager or edit the config files as they wish, those of us who don't can add the part to the ships they do want to have it and leave the rest alone.

After lurking a while, quietly following the new developments (thanks!) in this great mod, I thought I'd just chime in with a 2¢ opinion on this. I'd rather have the separate module as well, I don't need the map plugin on every ship, so a vote to keep the map traq the way it is, if anyone wants it on every ship, they can use module manager or edit the config files as they wish, those of us who don't can add the part to the ships they do want to have it and leave the rest alone.

Any particular reason why?

Hi guys, brilliant Mod!

Any tips are welcome,

Thanks

also if u haved big map open click on it and u can open a small window for a closer veiw

also if u haved big map open click on it and u can open a small window for a closer veiw

Yes, but it would be great, if I could select a place, right-click TARGET, and see it as target on the main map.. :)

Any particular reason why?

Because not all of my ships need a map? Adding another mod like module manager is just another mod that has to kept track of, updated, etc. Also, having the separate scan traq in the mod keeps the mod self contained, not something that depends on another mod or a user-edited config file.

If it's a huge hassle to keep it updated, and would delay or postpone the release of the full mod, then by all means, leave that part out, to either never return or come back when it's ready, but that seems a little extreme, but then I don't know what goes into developing these mods (well, I do a little) so I can't say what's worth the effort to someone else.

So when i use it, i get the whole UI and everything, but when i turn on the scanner, it just turns it grey. i can see the red thingy moving up and down, and all the probes on the screen, but no actual scanning. am i doing something wrong? or is it just my computer being poop.

Hey, I just want to say ive been using this mod for awhile, and its something that should be put into the game stock as far as im concerned. Its an activity for the player to do while exploring the game. And it fits the theme perfectly. More things to build can only add to the games awesomeness.

Im happy to see someone is working on this, since the original author seems to be absent. I would suggest Dmagic you contact the author of RPM and inquire for any info you need for your work on this and toolbar support. (something I too would like to see happen, I use both :) ) They seem like a friendly bunch, and he lists Scansat as an addon that works on the monitors his mod creates. Its in everyones interest to keep this working, especially the community. :)

Looking forward to seeing this up and running, and working with other mods, soon! And thank you for all you do for this community, we appreciate it.

edit: spelling fix

So when i use it, i get the whole UI and everything, but when i turn on the scanner, it just turns it grey. i can see the red thingy moving up and down, and all the probes on the screen, but no actual scanning. am i doing something wrong? or is it just my computer being poop.

What scanners are you using? What altitudes are you at? What are you orbiting and have you done a RADAR or SAR scan of it yet?

Salutations!

It seems my game is not scanning when i'm not flying one of my satellite, but when I do everything works fine, in both maps. Anyone else experience that? Those satellites were launched before I downloaded the fix for 0.23.5. Should I restart the map? Or relaunch my satellite network?

Salutations!

It seems my game is not scanning when i'm not flying one of my satellite, but when I do everything works fine, in both maps. Anyone else experience that? Those satellites were launched before I downloaded the fix for 0.23.5. Should I restart the map? Or relaunch my satellite network?

Hi,

First, check that your radars are in the correct altitudes http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/entries/1103-Using-SCANSat .

Second, I think SCATSat might not work with very high timewarp settings, but i think anything below 50x should work (or works for me).

Hello!

Big fan of this mod; been using it for a while and I think it adds great richness to the game. So thanks for that :)

Has there been any discussion of incorporating some of Capt Snuggler's collected ideas into this mod?

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/67240-Map-view-satellite-mapping-and-how-it-should-work

Basically, he suggests making mapping a more critical prerequisite to landing etc, which I think would be an excellent addition.

Ignoring the part about the telescopes (which isn't mapping so much), one "elegant" way to incorporate would be the change the texture of a body in Map view to some "blank" texture by default, and then, as mapping is done, use the revealed map image as the texture. Effectively, as the satellite maps, the revealed terrain would be drawn on the body itself (rather than the Big Map window). The non-mapview I would expect to remain unchanged from the regular texture.

Apologies if this has been discussed before - I couldn't see it earlier int he thread but it is a long thread :D

Salutations!

You need to fly a ship with an activated ScanSat module to have all other scanners work, it's right in the first post:

All active scanners scan at the same time, including those on vessels in different SoIs. You don't have to keep your satellite as the active vessel until you're done, as long as your other vessel also has a part from this mod that can open the mapping interface. (The non-scanning one counts.)

I built my own mini mod to have a smaller MapTraq using the blade antenna from this mod this mod (Kerbal Space Industries) and then edited my own custom cfg to have the appropriate module:

MODULE
{
name = SCANsat
sensorType = 0
fov = 0
min_alt = 0
max_alt = 0
best_alt = 0
power = 0.005
}

This will give you a small and unobtrusive fin that can be easily placed on e.g. a Mk2-1 pod and keeps your mapping operations going even while running manned missions elsewhere.

Hi,

First, check that your radars are in the correct altitudes http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/...-Using-SCANSat .

Second, I think SCATSat might not work with very high timewarp settings, but i think anything below 50x should work (or works for me).

They all are at a right altitude as everything was working fine when I was in v0.23 before. They are at a 90° inclination with a orbital period of 46min and 96min so around 250km and 750km. Icons are now fixed with the lastest .dll. The only feature not working properly is the scanning in both map while flying an other ship. No error are reported in the debug console neither.

I support the addition of a ModManager file to allow a standard pod to display the map (but not scan).

Probe cores too!

It just makes logical sense to me that the Scansat maps have been uploaded to all the cores and pods.

For people that don`t want that functionality that suits them too.

How about incorporating that satellite mod Remote tech, that creates line of sight like connections, and being able to beam map data? Putting that all together would be great. Beaming map data from an orbiting satellite to your landing craft, would be extremely fun to set up.. It would be great if they were able to work together.