[PLUGIN+PARTS][0.23] SCANsat terrain mapping

damny

How about incorporating that satellite mod Remote tech, that creates line of sight like connections, and being able to beam map data? Putting that all together would be great. Beaming map data from an orbiting satellite to your landing craft, would be extremely fun to set up.. It would be great if they were able to work together.

Not hard to make a MM to add the MapTraq part to command pods and you don't need RT to send maps to your lander as long as your mapping sat is on the body your landing on and you have the MapTraq part on craft or MM on the craft you can bring up the map.

EDIT here is a cfg to add the MapTraq part to command pods just place in KSP/GameDate https://www.dropbox.com/s/0fuqwk973s4zfo4/ScanSat.cfg and have ModuleManager *.*.* in there some where.

Edited by Mecripp2

I really like that idea especially details getting sharper as you map the planet to find the optimal landing sites

This concept is partially implemented in SCANsat by default, although there are only two levels of sharpness, and it only applies to altimeter data.

I fully support the idea that scanning a body you wish to land on is clearly a logical pre-requisite, even for our foolhardy Kerbals. It makes very little sense to attempt a landing on any body (even Kerbin) without altimetry. The difference is the difference between landing on a smooth, level terrain and crashing into little rocky bits.

DMagic made 1 and then updated the look of it so like 2 lol for rovers.

Here's the link to the post for the original one: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/55832-PLUGIN-PARTS-0-23-SCANsat-terrain-mapping?p=928786&viewfull=1#post928786

You can download it from the link on my parts thread (it's just below the gallery): http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/64755-WIP-DMagic-Orbital-Science-New-Science-Parts-V0-7-5-%284-1-2014%29

I have actually considered cleaning up this part and making all of the animations and blinking lights work properly. It's easy to do, and wouldn't require doing anything with the SCANsat code, I just have to get around to it. In its current state it doesn't really sync up with the SCANsat code and you have trigger the animations manually.

You can also use the anomaly scanner that comes with my other parts (which can be downloaded at the same page) like MeCripp said, though that one requires that you keep the plugin from my mod and that you keep the science module for it.

I have run into a small problem. Not sure how to proceed. I made a ship that i knew would 'barely' make it to Duna and get in orbit. Because I haven't been to Duna yet on this save, I decided to add SCANSat parts to it. Arrived at Duna, perfected my orbit, parked up to scan it....

I started my altimetry scans, no problem. But I can't seem to get a right click on the biome/anomaly scanner at all. I know the plugin works fine, as I've been using it for a while now. I've attached both of them to the side of a lab (I'm putting a permanent lab in Duna orbit), and whenever I mouse over the part, I am only able to select the lab itself. I have noticed this issue with this part many times before (although usually manage to get it selected by hovering over the narrow edge of the part.. not happening on this occasion), and foolishly never actually assigned it to an action group or anything. Just wondering if there's another way to start scanning. I'll happily edit config files or try something more inventive, as long as I don't end up having to revert after my fairly lucky orbit insertion.

I'll happily edit config files or try something more inventive, as long as I don't end up having to revert after my fairly lucky orbit insertion.

If you're not averse to editing cfg files, then one thing you can do is make a Module Manager config to add the relevant SCANsat part to your capsule/probe. Or edit the cfg directly to do the same. Or, if you're confident with savegame file editing, add the relevant SCANsat part to THAT CAPSULE/PROBE ONLY in the sfs.

EDIT: There could be a way of editing the sfs to make action groups for scanning, but that would require more reaserch and testing as I'm not 100% sure on it.

I've just put a Radar sat into polar orbit around Jool, completed the mapping, but when I click the "analyse" button nothing happens. Where's my science? :(

AFAIK, the science bit of it is broken in 0.23, sorry. Grats on the polar Joolian orbit though, that must've been a toughie.

Edited by ObsessedWithKSP

EDIT: There could be a way of editing the sfs to make action groups for scanning, but that would require more reaserch and testing as I'm not 100% sure on it.

Try searching for this text in your sfs file (though I haven't tested what happens if you change it):

ACTIONS
{
startScanAction
{
actionGroup = None
}
stopScanAction
{
actionGroup = None
}
toggleScanAction
{
actionGroup = None
}
analyzeData
{
actionGroup = None
}
}

and whenever I mouse over the part, I am only able to select the lab itself

This is a problem with that part model specifically. The collider mesh is not setup very well, so it's very difficult to actually select the part. The easiest way to do it is to select the backside of the scanner. If the backside is completely covered try selecting it from the side. Or you could try zooming in very close to the part, if you can zoom in through the front section you might be able to click on the base of the part.

I've just put a Radar sat into polar orbit around Jool, completed the mapping, but when I click the "analyse" button nothing happens. Where's my science? :(

Is this only a problem with Jool? I've haven't had any issues with science collection in 0.23.5. It might be that the scanners don't collect anything for Jool because there's not really anything to scan.

Edited by DMagic

I've haven't had any issues with science collection in 0.23.5. It might be that the scanners don't collect anything for Jool because there's not really anything to scan.

Wait, really? Everyh time I try and analyse, I get the normal recover/transmit like a standard experiment, but all the numbers are 0...

This is a problem with that part model specifically. The collider mesh is not setup very well, so it's very difficult to actually select the part. The easiest way to do it is to select the backside of the scanner. If the backside is completely covered try selecting it from the side. Or you could try zooming in very close to the part, if you can zoom in through the front section you might be able to click on the base of the part.

Is this only a problem with Jool? I've haven't had any issues with science collection in 0.23.5. It might be that the scanners don't collect anything for Jool because there's not really anything to scan.

It's the first body I've had problems with, but come to think of it it might be the first time I've tried to map anything since the new patch.

Previously I've done multispectral scans of Duna and Eve, which also produce a map full of static the same as the Jool radar map does (because apparently they do not have biomes). However, I could still cash them in for science.

While we're at it: can you map/get science from asteroids?

I'm not sure that will work, because the asteroids are "to my knowledge" procedurally generated, and are considered "parts". It might be possible if the uv map can be pulled, but how are you going to orbit it? It has no gravity. :(

They don't have gravity? Really? Wow, that's weird.

Not if you've done the math. A 30-meter diameter object with a mass of 30,000 tons (IIRC) would have a surface gravity of 9×10^-6 m/s^2, and an escape speed of 0.01 m/s. Gravity that weak isn't worth the trouble of calculating.

Now I have another reason to start creating my interplanetary ship...

Man am I lazy. I have this awesome plan, which I even went through the trouble of DRAWING and I still haven't gotten around to building it, much less testing it. With this mod, I can easily repurpose (thanks spellcheck) the attached probes and use them to map before landing. Why am I such a lazy unicorn?

I've had that problem of not being able to select the multispectral once placed on certain objects. I think it has to do with attachment and that the bit you can select is now under the skin of whatever you attached it to. I say this because I have another problem with attachment/CoM. If you place the radar and the multispectral on opposite sides of a craft you would expect them to balance each other as they have the same mass. Unfortunately they don't and end up torquing the craft while thrusting.

Looking through the part.cfgs I have found another issue, attachRules is defined twice for all sensors.

Edward

Silly question ... is anyone still actively developing this Mod? Looks like it's been 4 months since it was updated. Are there problems using it with 0.23.5 and the newest Unity version?

I'd like to know as well. I feel as though mods like this are essential to the game, they should actually be in vanilla one day. But this mod with the updated parts is a great start and I hope it isn't abandoned. I did play around last night and got some of the science working so radars actually give science now when in orbit. But the actual coding still needs work to finish entirely.

Looks like you can fix the multispectral part's unselectability and imbalance by editing its cfg and changing node_attach to node_attach = 0.0, -0.09, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 0 and adding CoMOffset = 0, 0.0865, 0

Not if you've done the math. A 30-meter diameter object with a mass of 30,000 tons (IIRC) would have a surface gravity of 9×10^-6 m/s^2, and an escape speed of 0.01 m/s. Gravity that weak isn't worth the trouble of calculating.

Oh, right. I didn't realise they were that small.