[PLUGIN+PARTS][0.23] SCANsat terrain mapping

damny

This mod only pull numbers as stored in-game? Drat -- I was hoping for a more actual scan-based approached. I may have to give ISAMapSat another look, but I'll continue to watch this one as well.

What gives you that idea?

From the second paragraph of the first post: "At the same time, all data is pulled from the game - "faking it" by just showing you parts of an existing map isn't acceptable."

From the second paragraph of the first post: "At the same time, all data is pulled from the game - "faking it" by just showing you parts of an existing map isn't acceptable."

See, this is what happens when I try to do multiple things at once. Ack. Everyone just ignore me for right now. :)

But does that mean that the mod calculates the elevation data through some kind of simulated remote sensing technique? I would be seriously impressed if it did (but would also question whether the added complexity of this was really necessary). I am under the impression that the mod looks at what x,y coordinate you are at, looks up the elevation value in the digital elevation model for the planet, then plots that value in your map. I think that by "not faking it", the author means that the mod does not have a pre-stored map that it "uncovers" as you go, and areas that you have not mapped really contain no data.

damny just have to say ILOVE THIS MOD!!!

Its the perfect replacement for ISA (which was causing major gmae crashes).

Just a quick question; Any idea or update on the meshs / models of the scanners that other users were working on as while I dont mind the current meshes (fuctionally they work) but I would like something a little more prettier.

Or does anyone have any links to mods / meshes that could be used to replace the current ones?

Try these parts. He is working on replacement parts they are awesome:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/49233-WIP-Parts-from-my-garden-shed-SCANsat-Antennae

If you just want to use Scansat models, there is these retextures:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/55832-PLUGIN-PARTS-WIP-SCANsat-terrain-mapping/page15

damny just have to say ILOVE THIS MOD!!!

Its the perfect replacement for ISA (which was causing major gmae crashes).

Just a quick question; Any idea or update on the meshs / models of the scanners that other users were working on as while I dont mind the current meshes (fuctionally they work) but I would like something a little more prettier.

Or does anyone have any links to mods / meshes that could be used to replace the current ones?

Try these parts. He is working on replacement parts they are awesome:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/49233-WIP-Parts-from-my-garden-shed-SCANsat-Antennae

If you just want to use Scansat models, there is these retextures:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/55832-PLUGIN-PARTS-WIP-SCANsat-terrain-mapping/page15

Thanks for that mate, already downloaded and ready for install once i get home from work tonight ;)

I'm using a mac, so this is a big improvement over the pc centric isamapsat. I've run into a problem though, the Big Map button doesn't work. I think I've dragged that window offscreen and I don't know how to retrieve it. Little help?

Well, this is just bloody amazing...time to add it to my "list o' mods to use" -DR

I am desperately trying to get my RemoteTech geosats into place so I can finally send up some long-term unmanned scanning satellites, just for this mod!

(Well, okay, and Kethane too.)

But does that mean that the mod calculates the elevation data through some kind of simulated remote sensing technique? I would be seriously impressed if it did (but would also question whether the added complexity of this was really necessary). I am under the impression that the mod looks at what x,y coordinate you are at, looks up the elevation value in the digital elevation model for the planet, then plots that value in your map. I think that by "not faking it", the author means that the mod does not have a pre-stored map that it "uncovers" as you go, and areas that you have not mapped really contain no data.

If it would fully simulate scan-rays to probe the distance to a certain point, and then use the current height and scan angle to calculate a height-point it would be a HUGE load on your CPU, and the result would be exactly the same (and possibly worse, since you would get scan artifacts).

You can forget about multi-sat scanning then.

You don't want KSP to use realistic fuel convection simulations either. Such calculations would be more complex than the whole of the current KSP. The same argument goes for SCANsats scanning method, making stuff under the hood FAR more complex 'for realism' without results is just dump IMO.

I have a quick question... Is there a UI to browse the map data library, so that I can review the maps for mission planning purposes? Right now I need to plan missions to remap everything I didn't get with the "HI" antenna, since I only recently earned enough science to finish unlocking all of my career mode objects. Now that "big science" missions are no longer the focus of my career (until .23 comes out), I want to focus on exploration and skill honing.

I know I can view a map while I am in the vicinity of a planet, I have been cleaning up my game mission debris trying to get it to crash less, so I haven't been leaving probes behind... I'm starting to think that I should have left one small satellite in orbit around every mapped object, and use the tracking station as the UI to the maps.

Also, it would be cool to have a control panel for the network of satellites in orbit above a planet. What I do is fly a craft in, and drop off several passive probes in various orbits. The probes are simple, I start with a small tr-2v stack decoupler, a small okto2 control pod, stack a battery and a couple of pb-nuk's on that, then a small girder segment that I can hang the scan antennae onto, as well as some optional science modules and a transmission antenna or two... The transmission antennas and science modules depend on the purpose of the mission, once I have exhausted the science, I start leaving the science gear off. These passive probes are lightweight, and they stack, so I can carry a lot of them. My Jool mission has 8 probe laden rockets, each with three drop-off probes, as well as a full set of science and SCANsat antennae on the main body of the craft. Essentially I carried more craft than I have objects to scan, so that I can have some mishaps without having to start the mission over. The probe craft doubled as final stage boosters, as this is a heavy ship, and I refueled them as I use them from the mothership tanks. My tentative plan is to see if I can take any leftovers from that mission, and see if I can budget the DV's to visit Eeloo with a probe craft.

I have a quick question... Is there a UI to browse the map data library, so that I can review the maps for mission planning purposes? Right now I need to plan missions to remap everything I didn't get with the "HI" antenna, since I only recently earned enough science to finish unlocking all of my career mode objects. Now that "big science" missions are no longer the focus of my career (until .23 comes out), I want to focus on exploration and skill honing.

Keoki - I don't know if this helps since it's not 'in-game' but I use kerbalmaps.com a lot when planning a lander mission. It's web-based and operates like Google Maps, but you can't just dump the data out to your desktop.

Otherwise, in-game, if you're in the big map screen there's an option to export to a PNG file....this is the only way I've seen to dump the actually scan data out to a usable format.

Does this work with RemoteTech, ie. will my map scanning fail when I have RT and am not in range, or do I need to make contact to upload the results of my scans?

You need to have an active connection to upload your science and start mapping. But it will keep scanning even if your connection fails partway.

Heyo! Another note, the fact this does indeed work with RT2, YAYS

/me waves at DR, i miss you as CM,

Suggestion for the parts,

The Kethane Scanners have a way to look at the ground at all times, maybe you could use the same idea so that the scanner "looks" at the body being scanned. One thing about the Kethane Scanner is that it still scans even if it is Looking though the spacecraft...

Also could you look in to integrating Kethane and some of the other resource based mods into the map?