[PLUGIN+PARTS][0.23] SCANsat terrain mapping

damny

This is a great mod, really a worthy spiritual successor to fill the void left by ISA. Hope a fix is in the works for 0.23, I just found this two days ago and did not have time to play with it as much as I wanted! :)

in .23 nothing happens with right clicking parts on the ship so unable to activate scan or analyses. Also, the map icon does not come up

I don't believe it to be compatible with the new update so keep an eye on the first post for build 5.

The .DLL needs to be recompiled then it can work.

Yeah I imagine that's all it should be. I'd be surprised if 0.23 actually broke anything in the code.

EDIT: Well depending on how he was handling biomes... there might be a little bit of effort to be done to get Minmus incorporated.

Yeah I imagine that's all it should be. I'd be surprised if 0.23 actually broke anything in the code.

EDIT: Well depending on how he was handling biomes... there might be a little bit of effort to be done to get Minmus incorporated.

I'm looking at the code now and it doesn't look like there's anything specific in there, although I could easily miss something. I'm waiting for KSP 0.23 to download so I can recompile it.

I'm looking at the code now and it doesn't look like there's anything specific in there, although I could easily miss something. I'm waiting for KSP 0.23 to download so I can recompile it.

One of the greatest things I've heard all night! You're a hero! :)

Awesome... well if you happen to get it recompiled, I'd love an 'unofficial' link (if the license allows that).

Awesome... well if you happen to get it recompiled, I'd love an 'unofficial' link (if the license allows that).

It looks like there are compile errors due to science changes (unless the tip of git is bad).

I don't know enough about modding KSP to do anything (this is the first time I've compiled a KSP mod).

For reference, the errors I'm getting:

SCANsat.cs(14,15): error CS0535: 'SCANsat.SCANsat' does not implement interface member 'IScienceDataContainer.ReviewDataItem(ScienceData)'

SCANsat.cs(14,15): error CS0535: 'SCANsat.SCANsat' does not implement interface member 'IScienceDataContainer.IsRerunnable()'

SCANcontroller.cs(293,9): error CS1729: 'ScienceData' does not contain a constructor that takes 4 arguments

SCANsat.cs(249,54): error CS1729: 'ExperimentResultDialogPage' does not contain a constructor that takes 9 arguments

I was hoping to get it recompiled tonight, as this is the last major mod I'm waiting for to use 0.23. I'll fiddle around and see if I can figure it out. Maybe I'll just rip out the science (I'm playing sandbox).

EDIT: It looks like redistributing is allowed, as long as source and license are included.

EDIT2: Here you go!

-link removed since build5 is posted-

Take the ScanSat.dll from the 'build' directory and replace the old one. I don't know the redist rules on the other binaries in that directory, so I deleted them all (including Mono and Unity assemblies). Note, I am not the original mod developer, don't report any bugs with this to him. I'll try to check back and remove this link after build 5 is posted.

For reference, I modified SCANcontroller.cs and SCANsat.cs.

I haven't tested actually scanning, but my old maps showed up. Also be wary of using science with this. I haven't tested that.

Edited by Phoenix84

I have developed a temporary patch for SCANsat. You can download it here. Just replace the SCANSat.dll with this one.

Note:

I have never modded KSP before, and it is mostly just a few hacks. I have tested it and it seems to be working so far (mapping works, display works, science works, minimus biomes work). The only bug so far is related to science retransmission.

I am not the original mod author -- this is just a temporary patch that will be removed at the request of the original author, or when a new patch is released. If you notice any bugs, feel free to note them below and I will take a look at them when I can although cannot guarantee a fix. I'm about to go to sleep now though.

Edit: Did some additional testing on kerbin, mun and minimus with the biome + SAR and they both seem to work fine, aside from some small science issues related to the new retransmission logic. Also tested it with all my mods (Kethane, RemoteTech2, Kerbal Alarm Clock, FAR, Engineer Redux) and seems to be working fine.

Edited by rickyhewitt
addtional info

It looks like there are compile errors due to science changes (unless the tip of git is bad).

I don't know enough about modding KSP to do anything (this is the first time I've compiled a KSP mod).

For reference, the errors I'm getting:

SCANsat.cs(14,15): error CS0535: 'SCANsat.SCANsat' does not implement interface member 'IScienceDataContainer.ReviewDataItem(ScienceData)'

SCANsat.cs(14,15): error CS0535: 'SCANsat.SCANsat' does not implement interface member 'IScienceDataContainer.IsRerunnable()'

SCANcontroller.cs(293,9): error CS1729: 'ScienceData' does not contain a constructor that takes 4 arguments

SCANsat.cs(249,54): error CS1729: 'ExperimentResultDialogPage' does not contain a constructor that takes 9 arguments

I was hoping to get it recompiled tonight, as this is the last major mod I'm waiting for to use 0.23. I'll fiddle around and see if I can figure it out. Maybe I'll just rip out the science (I'm playing sandbox).

EDIT: It looks like redistributing is allowed, as long as source and license are included.

EDIT2: Here you go!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e48lgu6xfho0guo/SCAN-master.zip

Take the ScanSat.dll from the 'build' directory and replace the old one. I don't know the redist rules on the other binaries in that directory, so I deleted them all (including Mono and Unity assemblies). Note, I am not the original mod developer, don't report any bugs with this to him. I'll try to check back and remove this link after build 5 is posted.

For reference, I modified SCANcontroller.cs and SCANsat.cs.

I haven't tested actually scanning, but my old maps showed up. Also be wary of using science with this. I haven't tested that.

Working great so far. I'm scanning minmus as I type this, the "Parts from my garden shed" parts (scan sat replacement ant.) are also working with this fix. THANK YOU!!

menu comes up but can't get the map. debug is showing file not found errors like crazy, but nothing is missing from the B4 original and nothing removed from when used with .22. Wondering if a conflict but the error seems odd for that.

Problem I get is with Kethane. I am using latest Kethane and it conflicts with it. When I go to map to look at grid, the grid isn't there. I can't toggle it off or on. The kethane detector doesn't work, I don't hear it beep when on.

And RasterPropMonitor MFD's mod, the map doesn't show up. So there is more that needs worked on with this.

Edit: I got it working, took the SCANsatRPM folder out of the RasterPropMonitor, until its updated.

Working great so far. I'm scanning minmus as I type this, the "Parts from my garden shed" parts (scan sat replacement ant.) are also working with this fix. THANK YOU!!
Edited by therealcrow999

Pulled Kethane to test it and SCANSat map is now coming up and scanning seems to be working. Don't know if it's a problem with Kethane or Scanset causing but the two seem to strongly dislike each other at the moment.

It also seems to interfere with Fusebox as that no longer works since getting ScanSat to work.

Edited by JeffreyCor
more info

Problem I get is with Kethane. I am using latest Kethane and it conflicts with it. When I go to map to look at grid, the grid isn't there. I can't toggle it off or on. The kethane detector doesn't work, I don't hear it beep when on.

And RasterPropMonitor MFD's mod, the map doesn't show up. So there is more that needs worked on with this.

Edit: I got it working, took the SCANsatRPM folder out of the RasterPropMonitor, until its updated.

There are tons of people having issues with the latest Kethane version, there's a bug in his github tracking for it.

As for rasterpropmon, I know it's been updated, but I wonder if they updated the part that interfaces with SCANsat? Anyway, point is, it's working to the point where I now have a biome map of Minmus. I'm sure the rest will get sorted out in the coming days.

Pulled Kethane to test it and SCANSat map is now coming up and scanning seems to be working. Don't know if it's a problem with Kethane or Scanset causing but the two seem to strongly dislike each other at the moment.

I've tested Kethane with the SCANsat patch posted by rickyhewitt, and I'm unable to reproduce this. If you encounter the issue, please submit a bug report on the Kethane issue tracker so I can investigate.

Hmm, I also use kethane and haven't noticed anything. I make probes with the kethane scanner and the scansat parts (using alternate models). In fact I BARELY got a probe to Moho just now (about 1km/s dV shy, used probe's ion engine to finish capture), and proceeded to start scanning everything at once. Radar maps started to appear right away, and I could hear the kethane dinging. I turned on the grid and saw it filling in.

Edited by Phoenix84

Hmm, I also use kethane and haven't noticed anything. I make probes with the kethane scanner and the scansat parts (using alternate models). In fact I BARELY got a probe to Moho just now (about 1km/s dV shy, used probe's ion engine to finish capture), and proceeded to start scanning everything at once. Radar maps started to appear right away, and I could hear the kethane dinging. I turned on the grid and saw it filling in.

I'm in the process of going though every mod one at a time to find any conflicts to see if there is some hidden thing in the background between these and something else causing a strange obscure problem. Sometimes the symptoms have nothing to do with the cause, which may be the case here.

Thanks to Phoenix84 and rickyhewitt for making hotfix builds for 0.23 before I got around to it. :)

I've uploaded build 5. This build is compatible with KSP 0.23, but not with older builds, due to changes in the science system.

I don't think I understand the science system and the new changes yet. In particular, it's still necessary to analyze multiple times to get the full amount of science.

Apart from the compatibility fixes, I've also replaced models and textures for the altimetry and biome scanners with models created by Milkshakefiend, and originally published over here. Many thanks to Milkshakefiend for making these models and giving me permission to distribute them with SCANsat!

This build is not 100% savegame compatible with older builds:

• I finally removed the slope scanner that has been non-functional for the last few builds. Savegames where this part is still present won't load correctly. You can either make it explode via the right-click menu before updating, or you can simply copy the slope scanner part back after the update (it's the "Scanner 4" directory).
  • The new models look different and this may lead to parts being attached badly to existing vessels. They will still function correctly, though. As above, old part files will still work if you prefer those.

Full changelog:

Build 5 - 2013-12-18
--------------------

- Update for KSP version 0.23. This version of SCANsat now requires KSP 0.23.

- Fixes for minor incompatibilities with Unity 4.2.2.

- Fixes for science changes in 0.23. Unfortunately, it's still necessary
to analyze multiple times to get the full amount of science.

- Removed the deprecated slope scanner part from the distribution. This breaks
savefile compatibility for savefiles that still use this part. If this is
an issue, simply keep the "Scanner 4" directory from the existing SCANsat
installation.

- Replaced models for altimetry and biome sensors with much better ones made
by Milkshakefiend. Original forum thread:
http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/49233-WIP-Parts-from-my-garden-shed-SCANsat-Antennae

Note: This breaks savegame compatibility in the sense that affected parts
look different and may be attached badly. If this is an issue, simply don't
overwrite the existing parts when updating, or copy them back after the
update.

- Parts with animations can be extended and retracted in the editor.
This doesn't affect their state at launch.

- The big map should not open outside the screen anymore. (SirJodelstein)

- Added a button to reset window positions to settings panel. (Lalwcat)

- Fixed a bug that could sometimes prevent power consumption from being
turned off during high time warp.

- Biome maps now use the proper API function to determine the biome at a
given location, which has been fixed in 0.23 to not spam debug output
anymore.

- Action names are configurable in the part config file. Included parts
have been updated. (OrtwinS)

- The instruments window got its own close button. (DMagic)