[PLUGIN+PARTS][0.23] SCANsat terrain mapping

damny

Something came to my mind.

Shoudlnt sensors track planet, just like solar panels track sun?

Its pretty strange when my sensors are faced into void of spae, yet i still scan surface like nothing happened.

Same result on the Mun...

I'll try it later on a fresh install, maybe a issue with other mods.

Edit: Seems like it has trouble with Remotetech.

I'll talk to Cilph to find out if it's an issue in his plugin or in scansat.

Edited by acc

Very cool mod. I played with it last night and had a lot of fun with it. However, I ran into a little inconvenience: If you resize the big map to a smaller size, the resize button can overlap the first map-mode button. From that point it is impossible to resize the window 'cause the button is on top of the other button and can't be selected anymore.

[...]

Something like that, but that's only helpful while in the VAB, once you're in flight, there's no way to see that info I don't think. You have to go by the indicators on the map screen. Orange = no good. Green = OK! What I usually do is set the altitude at 750K and scan for the high res map, then lower to 250K and scan for the rest.

This gives me a better idea for refining this as a feature request:

* In the VAB/SPH, show the altitude ranges in the 'extended' part description area (the new 'what-you-see-if-you-right-click' section in 0.23).

* Have the same information show on the LO/HI/BIO/etc indicators on the small map upon mouseover, which makes it easy to check in flight. (You can use the color-coding to know if it's good or not, but if it's not there's no hint as to what direction you need to go to fix it).

I just noticed that at warp rates 1000x and more, probes without power (no panels/rtg, depleted batteries, opened scanner device) can still scan and update the map. At 100x and less, no scanning happens and a "no power" status is displayed correctly. Is this a known issue? Is there a way to close the panels or prevent scanning in such a case other than safe-file editing?

Edit: It seems that even safe-file editing does not help here. I set the scanner modules to "isEnabled = False" and "scanning = False", and still the scanning happens.

Edited by SirJodelstein

I just noticed that at warp rates 1000x and more, probes without power (no panels/rtg, depleted batteries, opened scanner device) can still scan and update the map. At 100x and less, no scanning happens and a "no power" status is displayed correctly. Is this a known issue? Is there a way to close the panels or prevent scanning in such a case other than safe-file editing?

Edit: It seems that even safe-file editing does not help here. I set the scanner modules to "isEnabled = False" and "scanning = False", and still the scanning happens.

I've seen that happen in vanilla KSP, too, for transmitting data back to KSC. I don't think it's a bug in this mod.

I ran a series of tests, installing mods one by one and checking to see if Kethane was compatible with the mods. I found that ScanSat and Kethane stop each other from working. I've only checked it in Career mode.

I seem to have fixed the problem simply by removing the Kethane and ScanSat mods and reinstalling first Kethane and then ScanSat. Everything works fine now.

Oh, and another thing about this window: Every time a map is fully rendered, it's exported as a PNG image to the PluginData folder inside the mod's folder. Existing images get overwritten, so if you want to keep anything you should probably copy it somewhere safe.

Could you save the coordinates of anomalies to a text file in PluginData as well? The big map already shows this information, so you would save the Kerbal Space Command secretary the effort of writing all those coordinates on pieces of paper... And we know how well combustible paper survives when Jeb is around :)

I know it's been brought up a lot, but Damny... Can you maybe add, at the very least, the minimum altitude to scanners' descriptions...

Would help a bunch when setting up planet mapping.

May I also suggest implementing different scanning altitudes for different planets based on their size.

These small qualms withstanding, mod's looking great. I really love the new models.

Wait, I know that this is 4 days old, but what new updates are you talking about? There have been no updates since Nov.10, and that was the last time the maker posted...............

New is a relative term. I'm a little behind on my playing.....

I think I've come up with a bug/user error.

I resized the 'Big Map' screen to make it a little smaller, but made it a bit too small - now the resize button is blocked by the 'Rectangular' button and I can't resize. Anyone have any idea if there is a cfg file I can change the default size in ?

Hi, and first of all thanks for a really great mod, it's one of my must-have mods together with RT and Interstellar now. One bug (or feature) I came across yesterday though, that I'd thought I'd share:

I made a Scanner probe that piggybacked on a lander going to the Mun, came to the desired orbit, activated the scanners and detached the probe. However, when I then switched to the probe, the sensors had deactivated themselves and had to be reactivated. Not a big issue of course, but feels like it's not intended behaviour.

So, what am I doing wrong? I just launched a satellite (with all 3 scanning items) in a 90 degrees inclined orbit around kerbin, started scanning but it only shows low resolution greyscale altimetry... When i try to 'start' the SCAN MapTraq (right click) it only gives me the option to open map. Only the RADA Alt. Senor has a 'Start/Stop' button.

So, what am I doing wrong? I just launched a satellite (with all 3 scanning items) in a 90 degrees inclined orbit around kerbin, started scanning but it only shows low resolution greyscale altimetry... When i try to 'start' the SCAN MapTraq (right click) it only gives me the option to open map. Only the RADA Alt. Senor has a 'Start/Stop' button.

There's different sensors/scanners that give you different mapping data. Each has a certain range of operation. If it's lower or higher than that range, it won't function. If a scanner's working, it will show up as green on the map, if it's out of range- it's gonna be orange/yellow.

I'm able to scan at maximum time warp with no gaps... I have heard people talk about being conservative about using time warp with ScanSat, but I've been able to deploy my satellites, go to max warp, scan till I'm either done, or till I see a pattern that isn't clearing so I reposition my birds and warp some more... Now I see temporary gaps in the display, because the display scans the page slowly, so your satellite paints an empty trail until the next page update refreshes and fills the trail in... but that isn't a scan gap, that is just the way the map refreshes. Are you sure you are seeing gaps? the author stated that you can use warp with no problems... at least that is what I remember reading about three times.