[PLUGIN+PARTS][0.23] SCANsat terrain mapping

damny

So, you joined the Kethane scanner with a SCANsat part and now one part does both - but will this make the Kethane scanner keep scanning in the background, i.e. while not being on the active vessel?

Wouldnt of thought so as its using the default kethane module which does not allow this.

So, you joined the Kethane scanner with a SCANsat part and now one part does both - but will this make the Kethane scanner keep scanning in the background, i.e. while not being on the active vessel?

Like, I said on any scanner other no because of how kethane is setup but if you put it on MapTraq part it's like a bug when you turn it on it will show a planet as if it as been scanned all kethane will show on planet but the lay out of the deposits are defrant because how kethane is randomly placed.

Is there any way to change the color of the un-scanned areas on the maps? Make them more visible? I've got Kerbin scanned to 99.6%, but even shifting orbits for better coverage hasn't gotten that last .4% scanned. And I can't see where it's at to plot a better orbit.

I know I should just accept it and move on, but I'm a perfectionist.

This should work, I don't use that mod so with that said test if you like Should pick up Inerstellar stuff Kethane and map and's add 1 scanner part.https://www.dropbox.com/s/gr7bdczdz3utip1/scansat125.zip

Here is a link for putting Kethane on MapTraq part last time a used it, It reveals kethane on a planet as you scanned it already but layout of deposit are diffrant

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gl34cl1axcl793q/Add_Kethane_MapTraq.cfg

I put both of these scripts in the SCANsat folder, I now have the calypso module that also scans Kethane that works as expected.

However the script for the KSPI resources doesnt seem to be doing anything... I wasnt too sure what to expect though, what is it supposed to do?

The Calypso has no referance to the KSPI resources, and the KSPI detectors dont seem to be operating differently either.

I put both of these scripts in the SCANsat folder, I now have the calypso module that also scans Kethane that works as expected.

However the script for the KSPI resources doesnt seem to be doing anything... I wasnt too sure what to expect though, what is it supposed to do?

The Calypso has no referance to the KSPI resources, and the KSPI detectors dont seem to be operating differently either.

Did you try the with the new scanner that it added ? the only one that it added to was the new scanner you should have the MapTraq is it working for your kethane ?

And, I don't use KSPI but it should work on the new added scanner.

EDIT there not going to show up on ScanSat map but the should show up how ever they do normally.

Edited by Mecripp2

You can added it to the scanners but it still works the same but if you put it on the MapTraq part it will reveal it all but there in big patches.

EDIT if you want to try MapTraq https://www.dropbox.com/s/gl34cl1axcl793q/Add_Kethane_MapTraq.cfg

Edit yes still focused craft because you are still using the Kethane plugin but like, I said if you put it on a scanner work same but if you put in on MapTraq the min you get in range of the scan it shows all as being scanned but the layout of the deposit will be diffrant.

I daresay you have no idea what you're doing. You've simply added a Kethane detector onto a part. That does absolutely nothing to integrate the two mods.

Regarding integration: Kethane's API has exposed deposit and scan data for quite some time. As far as I know, SCANsat does not expose an API of its own, so until it does, Kethane integration will have to be done from SCANsat's end.

You can add the Kethane scanner MODULE to any part and use it as a scanner yes you can, I'm not saying that it going to show up on scansat maps.

Edit and on the MapTraq part like,I have said and you can try it when you turn on the scanner it reveals all the map as been scanned but the deposit layout will not be the same as if you scanned it with a scanner like kethane that take day or days to scan.

Edited by Mecripp2

I'm looking into SCANsat a bit and would like to extend it by providing the scanned map on a sphere around planets instead of a planar representation. I think it could be quite nice to have the maps in 3D.

Is/was there any activity for this?

I'm totally new in programming for unity/KSP and having some issues with it, but progressing quite well.

I managed to write a simple partless plugin that is activated (for the sake of simplicity) in the tracking station view.

I understand all of the Start(), Awake(), and Update() callbacks. I could also create a mesh (a simple triangle now). But what I can't solve is to show the triangle near Kerbin or any of the selected celestial bodies.

Is there any simple tutorial how to draw anything in the map view?

I'm not up to speed on the programming aspects, but you may be able to get some idea of the function calls by looking at the Kethane mod code. It overlays a hex grid on the KSP mapview, so it should give you everything you need.

Also I recommend you put the Scansat map overlay BENEATH the Kethane map overlay. It's transparent and everyone is begging to see both at once.

So has anyone else noticed this part kind of wiggles when its on a craft?

c9qRueh.jpg

l9zAF7o.jpg

It doesn't stay straight. Have I done this somehow, or has anyone else seen this?

It doesn't bother me too much, I just pretend its tracking something on the ground...

Although it does seem to apply torque to my vessels as its twisting.

Edited by vardicd

Great addition to KSP, Kethane and this one gives us an opportunity to build and launch satellite with a real purpose, thank you damny :kiss:

One feature request: zooming on map window (the main one or the bigmap), like two buttons/sliders z.in/z.out to just show where we are (usefull mostly for rovers and planes/drones).

It can also be used like the "good old" radar map of many of military plane simulator.

Great addition to KSP, Kethane and this one gives us an opportunity to build and launch satellite with a real purpose, thank you damny :kiss:

One feature request: zooming on map window (the main one or the bigmap), like two buttons/sliders z.in/z.out to just show where we are (usefull mostly for rovers and planes/drones).

It can also be used like the "good old" radar map of many of military plane simulator.

on the big map click on a area u can get a small zoomed in tab of the area

Hi there. Installed the mod and liking it so far (though I had to find out the hard way that there was a maximum altitude to the sensors :/ ). I have a question, and I apologize in advance if it's been asked before (with 102 pages of comments it probably has been, but... gah! 102 PAGES! Don't think I can search through them all...).

I'm curious if it's possible to use one satellite or probe to scan multiple bodies. I'm thinking of missions like Cassini where a single probe can be sent to a location (Jool, say) and so long as you get the probe to within scanning range, be able to make maps of the various satellites, building it up piecemeal with each flyby. Can this be done with SCANsat, or will I need to send one probe per body?

Thanks in advance!

I'm curious if it's possible to use one satellite or probe to scan multiple bodies. I'm thinking of missions like Cassini where a single probe can be sent to a location (Jool, say) and so long as you get the probe to within scanning range, be able to make maps of the various satellites, building it up piecemeal with each flyby. Can this be done with SCANsat, or will I need to send one probe per body?

You can use one probe, or one scanner (or multiple scanner types on one probe) for as many planets/moons as you want. You could make a complete map of one planet at a time, but doing it like you suggest, multiple quick flyovers would take a very long time and require constant attention. The scanners have a pretty small scan width, so each pass would only scan a tiny strip of the surface. Buy with enough patience you could do it.

Am I correct in thinking you need the small map open for background mapping to happen? And RPM's map view doesn't allow background mapping?

No, as long as the scanner parts are activated, they will scan. However, if you are in a another ship, the other ships won't scan unless you have another active scanner or MapTraq on yours (to get KSP to run the mod). The mapview does not have to be open.

The scanners have a pretty small scan width, so each pass would only scan a tiny strip of the surface. Buy with enough patience you could do it.

Depends on orbit height for a particular scanner & celestial body. Also, for low gravity celestial bodies you'll need to choose for your own - optimal orbit with larger orbital period, or lower orbit with smaller orbital period.

I'm enjoying the mod quite a bit. The low-res altimeter worked without a hitch, but the multispectral sensor is giving me problems. I'm in a low orbit, about 75km over Kerbin, and the multispectral sensor is generating nothing but a gray rectangle on the small image, and a very muddy, washed-oput image in the large map. Water and grasslands look to be the same off brown.

Apologies if this came up before, but if it did, what might the problem be?

Thanks in advance.

edit: just to reiterate -- I'm getting grey with the multispectral sensor, not the altimeter.

Edited by John Nowak

Hey, I don't get it. My ScanSat is always scanning gray... I have the smallest version. (the first you unlock in research). Thought it would be due to City lights plugin and took it off. But it's the same. Alway grey... :P

EDIT: Forget about this silly question. Just went on and read the page about SCANsat. Sorry for your inconvenience! ;)

Edited by Draemar