[PLUGIN+PARTS][0.23] SCANsat terrain mapping

damny

And Winkel curves the latitude as well, which might be more visually pleasing but makes is near useless for actual use (which we intend, right?).

More importantly (for me), there's no obvious inversion. The map is rendered using the inversion.

Btw. I instantly liked Kavrayski VII when I read the wikipedia article you linked in your original suggestion.

If you encounter something similar requiring an inversion, PM me. I can't program **** besides the simplest of instruction sequences for Matlab or some graphical programming like Labview.

But basic math: I got that :D.

By the way, do you have plans for electricity use for b3? Otherwise I might try my hand at some ModuleManager tweaking.

Here's a suggestion- why not make a smaller part with the capabilities of the MapTraq? Something the size of a small battery to put on rovers/landers...

Was trying to get stuff done sooner, but my daughter been sick past couple days....so just getting started on things tonight...but

Here is what I was thinking for the MapTraq

xFN5Nil.png

the screen will angle up and a Garmin like sat anttena will pop up...no texture or anims yet...have literaly been working on this for about 15min ....

Was gonna make a version kinda like this but with small version of SAR plate on it..maybe a bit bigger

Ill post pics as I get work done, Maybe parts as I get em done...but I cant even get on spaceport...and mediafire just pisses me off.

edit: btw the base plate of part in above pic is 0.267 x 0.427meters...looks bigger than it is =)

Edited by KhaosCorp

Was trying to get stuff done sooner, but my daughter been sick past couple days....so just getting started on things tonight...but

Here is what I was thinking for the MapTraq

xFN5Nil.png

the screen will angle up and a Garmin like sat anttena will pop up...no texture or anims yet...have literaly been working on this for about 15min ....

Was gonna make a version kinda like this but with small version of SAR plate on it..maybe a bit bigger

Ill post pics as I get work done, Maybe parts as I get em done...but I cant even get on spaceport...and mediafire just pisses me off.

Yeah, I've abandoned SpacePort until they get it working decent. And I mean decent...

Anyways- this looks nice.

I am designing some parts for this too, I do like the current look of the parts, even if they are a bit unpolished. I will try to keep the idea of solar-panel/reflection/shiny looking panel thing, plus some animation.

is there any 'quick' and easy way to possibly make the different scanners at least a different color? Is this something that can / could be done just as an edit? I find myself constantly getting confused with which scanner is which. I know that this is 'my' problem, but just wondering if there might be a fast easy fix. thanks for any help and ideas.

I am designing some parts for this too, I do like the current look of the parts, even if they are a bit unpolished. I will try to keep the idea of solar-panel/reflection/shiny looking panel thing, plus some animation.

Also, with the animation, maybe the parts are stowed in a protective cover, like some of the solar panels. This would protect during the launch phase and either could be simply jettisoned or give capability to deploy and recover... Just a thought.

Edit: I am currently testing for first time. Craft is over Kerbin, circ orbit, inc @ 88 alt @ 142... in the small map i see the vessel marker but no 'data' is being or has been posted. in the big map, same no data is being shown or posted, but if i rmb i can see the data. also, the big map seems to be a fixed size and i am unable to see entire map and only one of the polar (left most). if this has been covered, sorry but i missed it. I glance through all of the posts, but might have missed it...

any help would be greatly appreciated...

thanks.

Edited by drtedastro
one more question

is there any 'quick' and easy way to possibly make the different scanners at least a different color? Is this something that can / could be done just as an edit?

I guess you could paint over the individual texture files, e.g. with GIMP...

Craft is over Kerbin, circ orbit, inc @ 88 alt @ 142... in the small map i see the vessel marker but no 'data' is being or has been posted.

Do you see anything at all below the marker? Is there a grey background with a white grid, or is it just the (transparent) window?

Do you have a screenshot?

in the big map, same no data is being shown or posted, but if i rmb i can see the data.

The big map doesn't update continuously. Does it show something when you click one of the map type buttons (e.g. the one that says Altimetry)?

also, the big map seems to be a fixed size and i am unable to see entire map and only one of the polar (left most).

It should be either 360, 720, 1080, or 1440 pixels wide, depending on how wide your screen is. What's your setup like? Do you have more than one monitor?

Making it resizable is on the TODO list.

Thanks for reply.

Seems that a complete reboot was needed. all seems to be working just fine now.... Thanks....

one other question, is it possible, or maybe in future release, to be able to capture raw data as well as the processed images. I know that this will create large amounts of data and would need to be user selectable. As working with exploration data, mapping and such is my profession, i would really like to be able to 'play' with the data for internal testing and ideas.

But most important, THANKS for a really good looking mod. I wish you the best of luck....

one other question, is it possible, or maybe in future release, to be able to capture raw data as well as the processed images. I know that this will create large amounts of data and would need to be user selectable.

I've thought about it - but it would definitely have to be a separate step, as the data the mod needs to draw a half pretty map isn't necessarily that useful for anything else. What kind of data would you want?

I am working on offline apps that make use of the data collected from ksp missions. higher level mapping applications, data comparisons to see change over time, spatial / temporal changes or overlaps between all items that can be mapped. Bringing in other data, such as kethane, ore, etc to be able to build layered stack maps for optimization of exploration missions. etc.....

a simple text file with simple output like

timestamp, vessel identifier, lat, lon, dvalue (where dvalue would be any of the active sensors that are acquiring data, like hires alt, lowres alt, biom, etc...)

this could be a simple file that could be appended to by any and all craft for that particular SoI... As the file very likely will grow very large, an automatic name and newfilename method would be great. so you could have something like Kerbin_20131104.rawDat or equivalent. The user can then move, compress, do whatever with the data that has been sent back to Kerbin and is now in the data archive.....

I can foresee future applications that will look for changes over time that could be mapped for example. Depletion of reserves, change of biom, and maybe geological changes such as active volcanics and such.....

i am looking for ways to do more on other machines to all the ksp machine not to be bogged down. That happens easy enough with mods and all other 'needed' stuff....

anyway, these are just things that i am working on and would love to see...

my background is geophysical engineering and exploration for the past 35 years and old habits die hard......

thanks again.

So, I had hoped to add energy consumption to SCANsat by using ModuleManager. Turns out it's not possible that way, it needs to be done in the actual programming part of the plugin.

Bummer.

edit: I can give parts charge capacity, just can't make them drain any.

Also thought about adapting the textures, but the only thing I could come up with was either changing the blue to Fugly other colors or writing 'Traq', 'Alt', 'Adv.Alt' etc. in big red letters on the blue pane.

Both would technically work, but it would probably harm our gameplay more than improve it. If you have texture variation suggestions though, I'm still willing to mash something together :).

PS, about the big map resolution: The big map pop up allways pops up too low, I couldn't see the bottom row of buttons at first ("where is my grid? No polar view?"). Does your method to determine the big map resolution inquer the screen resolution, or the KSP resolution? (I play windowed, 1440x900, on a 1920x1080 screen).

Edited by OrtwinS

Relevant to preceding post:

DzYoc1h.png

from left to right, RADAR altimeter, Advanced altimeter, BTDT, Slope Scanner & SAR.

FU7Etoo.png

The files are easy to change, just open the SCANsat.tga in paintshop or whatever, and change the bottom-left rectangle. et voila.

Edited by kahlzun

Relevant to preceding post:

-snip-

The files are easy to change, just open the SCANsat.tga in paintshop or whatever, and change the bottom-left rectangle. et voila.

Exactly, the work is easy. I just don't have the artistic skill to make something that is not fugly.

You could post those tga's in a zip...

Edited by OrtwinS

You could post those tga's in a zip...

I'm happy to, just wasn't sure whether it was allowed.

Beholdeth:

[uNOFFICIAL] Texture Pack #2:

DzYoc1h.png

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u7084fjpl0nx6gh/SCANsat.zip

Want those sensors? Clicky linky!

(Everything except the .tga files and the license.txt has been stripped out. Whack it in GameData, and it'll update the textures.

eh. I think it's a little overcomplicated.. I like it more simplistic.

As it is now I'm just going to add every single part every time because:

-why not. I'm spending the time on a sat.

-I don't know which ones I might not need.

-I just want map no matter how terrible my orbit, so I'll throw everything at it.

I want to treat it like kethane, ISA, etc. Is the dish part on there? OK DONE.

Hu, very nice Mod. I like it (and in opposite to the Mapsat) this here does work and not make my game Explode (hang).

Good work, only the models for the parts you should perhaps ask zzz or some other modeler, I`m sure they would make you something nice (licencefree).

*thumbs up*

I'm happy to, just wasn't sure whether it was allowed.

Beholdeth:

[uNOFFICIAL] Texture Pack #2:

-snip-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u7084fjpl0nx6gh/SCANsat.zip

Want those sensors? Clicky linky!

(Everything except the .tga files and the license.txt has been stripped out. Whack it in GameData, and it'll update the textures.

Well, don't take my word for it, I have no official involvement with this project. I'm just very interested, and I feel 'related' because I happen to have made the latest call for ISA alternatives. (which appears to be successful :))

Why I think damny won't mind:

• You are not changing/using any of his code.
  • Nor using his name
  • And like we said: it's extremely easy to open these files in PAINT.NET, or Inkscape, and mess around with some colors. You just made a very pretty one.
  • These are placeholder sensors. You just saved damny from having to deal with the "I can't tell the difference!" problem.

too many separate parts.

how about like.. 2. that weigh the same. ?

But they all have a different function!

Maybe late in the tech tree there will be multi-functional parts, but that's late-dev-process polish.

Edited by OrtwinS