[PLUGIN+PARTS][0.23] SCANsat terrain mapping

damny

I'm using Custom Biomes, so that last part isn't a problem.

And I already know how to edit the config file -- the problem is that, without some tradeoff, it feels like cheating to me. I want the original (orbital) scanners to be superior, because orbits are harder than flybys. And since the use case I'm thinking of requires both large FOV and large maximum altitude...

Right, but I don't understand how the thing you want could be achieved or is even necessary. The point of the multispectral scan is that it's quite detailed. How would a less detailed multispectral scan look? Wouldn't it just be reporting incorrectly in some areas? If you want a less detailed scan, there's the low res altimetry, from which biomes can be inferred anyway. You could make a version with a higher altitude, wider FOV and higher energy consumption?

Unfortunately it seems history has repeated itself and ScanSat is, for the moment at least, 'finished', and we're unlikely to get new features any time soon. At least it's in a much more stable condition than ISAMapSat was left in. Fingers crossed we see a stock implementation at some point.

Right, but I don't understand how the thing you want could be achieved or is even necessary. The point of the multispectral scan is that it's quite detailed. How would a less detailed multispectral scan look? Wouldn't it just be reporting incorrectly in some areas? If you want a less detailed scan, there's the low res altimetry, from which biomes can be inferred anyway. You could make a version with a higher altitude, wider FOV and higher energy consumption?

I suggested multispectral because it's the closest in-mod analogue to imaging cameras -- which is what a probe would realistically use for a "first look" map of a planet. The altimeters are basically radars which, like their real-life counterparts, have a fairly narrow beam.

But if it's not happening, oh well. It was a long shot anyway.

Just got my hands on this mod

I really - REALLY - like the idea of it.

It makes sending satellites ahead of further exploration very relevant and useful. It even makes investing in advanced electrical science-bits relevant.

I've figured out what the Altimetry sensor does - that makes for the blue-yellow-red height map.

I've also figured out what the Multispectral sensor does - it does the really important thing: Mapping biomes. However, I can't seem to get it to work right. Does it have some kind of "must be this high up in orbit to work" thing going on? I've tried a 500K orbit around kerbin, got nothing. Tried a 70K orbit and I got... mixed results. It doesn't seem to be working all the time (and there's plenty of power... that's not the issue)

Beyond that, then the "Been-there-done-that" seems to do the exact same thing as the MapTraq - which makes me wonder what the difference is

Also what's the optimal altitude for the basic altimetry radar?

Beyond that, then the "Been-there-done-that" seems to do the exact same thing as the MapTraq - which makes me wonder what the difference is

The BTDT scanner will identify anomalies when it is in close proximity to them (a couple of kilometers). Those anomalies will then have a name on the Big Map, instead of "Anomaly".

Optimal operational altitudes are on the wiki - low-res 5km (can't do that in atmosphere!), multi 250km, high-res 750km. [Hint: consider how a mapping satellite works and why it's in a polar orbit. The planet/moon rotates under it, which makes orbital period important. Just because an instrument 'works best' at a certain altitude doesn't make that the best altitude at which to work]

The BTDT scanner will identify anomalies when it is in close proximity to them (a couple of kilometers). Those anomalies will then have a name on the Big Map, instead of "Anomaly".

Moreover press the Instruments button when you are close to an anomoly. ;)

Sooo any plans for this? Updates? Toolbar integration? I'd do it myself, but it's only danmy who can.. or this just considered dead now and I should stop holding out hope?

Anyone can. This is the meat of Damny's license:

Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without modifica-

tion, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:

1. Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice,

this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.

2. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright

notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the

documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.

3. The name of the author may not be used to endorse or promote products

derived from this software without specific prior written permission.

Provide the same license and don't say "this is Damny's official ScanSat update", and you can basically do what you want.

i would like to suggest or request that a gps degree number please be added to the grid layout & printing options of this plug-inn as it would greatly assist with the planing of future missions if there is a way to do this currently can someone please let me know as im keen to have gps grids for rovers

Bug report: in 0.23.5 the icons on the map appear to have become messed up. I.e., probes have the lander icon, etcetera.

Yep, the new "SpaceObject" and "Unknown" (I think that one is new) VesselTypes screw it up. A simple recompile fixes it.

Replace the SCANsat.dll file in the GameData\SCANsat folder with this one and it should work: http://www./download/a4v6v8r0d96ao89/SCANsat.dll

Though I make no promises about the reliability of this replacement, I didn't change anything and it should work fine.

Yep, the new "SpaceObject" and "Unknown" (I think that one is new) VesselTypes screw it up. A simple recompile fixes it.

Replace the SCANsat.dll file in the GameData\SCANsat folder with this one and it should work: http://www./download/a4v6v8r0d96ao89/SCANsat.dll

Though I make no promises about the reliability of this replacement, I didn't change anything and it should work fine.

Oh thanks :D

Well, since I was tooling around in the SCANsat code anyway, I decided to figure out how its UI works and whether or not I could add toolbar support easily.

It turns out to be pretty simple to add in some basic toolbar support.

Edit: No need to have multiple versions of this floating around. If anyone wants the single toolbar button version PM me. Otherwise go here for the multiple button version.

Download the package linked to above and copy the new SCANsat.dll over the old version (or delete the old version first) in the GameData/SCANsat folder. You must also copy the included texture into this folder as well, the toolbar icon will not show up without it. And, obviously, you need Blizzy78's toolbar installed, it is not included here and the plugin won't work without it when using my new .dll. The source code is also included and all changes made by me are noted inside the .cs files along with the relevant license information.

This is provided as is, with no guarantee of working or compatibility. I'm not taking requests or suggestions and I have no further plans to modify the SCANsat code. If anyone finds any bugs I can take a look and try to figure it out, but I make no promises.

It works at a pretty basic level. The toolbar button (I pulled the icon out of the Unity assets and colored it to match the default SCANsat icon) opens and closes the small map. It doesn't have any effect on the big map, the settings window, or the instrument window. The instrument window can be a little wonky if you try to drag it off screen while the small map is closed; it will snap back to below wherever the small map was, even if it's no longer on screen. But otherwise the windows don't seem to be affected. The "X" on the top-right of the map closes it the same as the toolbar button, you can close it this way and it will still open fine from the toolbar.

The toolbar button will always be visible (though it can be changed like every other toolbar button) in flight or in the map view, regardless of whether or not you have SCANsat parts on board, but it won't do anything unless you have a SCANsat part on your current vessel.

The only thing to be aware of is that the Start/Stop Scanning (or Open/Close Map for the MapTraq) buttons on the SCANsat parts won't actually open the map. They will start scanning, but you have to click the toolbar icon to actually open and close the map.

*Warning: Does not work with RasterPropMonitor

mBNxzLx.gif

Check out that sweet action.:kiss:

Edited by DMagic
RPM Warning

Love this mod. At some point in the last few weeks I started to experience sporadic issues with the radar and multispectral sensors not "activating". I right click and click "start" and the options change to "stop" and "analyze data", but the instrument never shows the deployment animation and I never accumulate science or new data. I can click "stop" and "start" repeatedly with no animation ever occurring. I am running about 30 mods and I am unable to correlate this issue to any one of them specifically. Thoughts?

If you have the latest version of Active Texture Management change contents of the SCANsat config to this to stop tiny tool bar button.

In the folder GameData\BoulderCo\ActiveTextureManagerConfigs there is a SCANsat config, copy and paste the following over what is there:

ACTIVE_TEXTURE_MANAGER_CONFIG

{

folder = SCANsat

enabled = true

OVERRIDES

{

SCANsat/SCANsat_Icon

{

compress = true

mipmaps = false

scale = 1

max_size = 0

}

}

}

THANK YOU for tool bar integration!!!

Edited by Green Skull

If you have the latest version of Active Texture Management change contents of the config to this to stop tiny tool bar button :

ACTIVE_TEXTURE_MANAGER_CONFIG

{

folder = SCANsat

enabled = true

OVERRIDES

{

SCANsat/SCANsat_Icon

{

compress = true

mipmaps = false

scale = 1

max_size = 0

}

}

}

THANK YOU for tool bar integration!!!

I feel stupid, but which config do I add this to? The ATM one?

I feel stupid, but which config do I add this to? The ATM one?

No in the folder GameData\BoulderCo\ActiveTextureManagerConfigs there is a SCANsat config. Add in there - better to ask than blame when it all goes wrong. My fault for not being clear and "assuming" everyone knows WTF I'm on about :P

No in the folder GameData\BoulderCo\ActiveTextureManagerConfigs there is a SCANsat config.

*holds up hand* Uhh sir? I didn't get my SCANsat config...

EDIT: Hmm.. it looks like it's in the very very latest ATM.. guh, how old is that, a few days? I swear I updated it just the other day.. ugh... OK all updated, SCANsat cfg present and correct, all up to speed. Thanks for the help! :D

Edited by ObsessedWithKSP