[PLUGIN+PARTS][0.23] SCANsat terrain mapping

damny

Maybe this is a better idea. I didn't realize how simple the Toolbar API is, so this is a really simple thing to change. It requires no further modification of the SCANsat code, I just added a few lines to the toolbar class that I added. All of the regular open and close buttons work the same as always for all of the windows, there is just the added option of opening and closing them from the toolbar menu.

I'll clean this up and make sure it's working right tomorrow.

XWxxzHm.jpg

Maybe this is a better idea. I didn't realize how simple the Toolbar API is, so this is a really simple thing to change. It requires no further modification of the SCANsat code, I just added a few lines to the toolbar class that I added. All of the regular open and close buttons work the same as always for all of the windows, there is just the added option of opening and closing them from the toolbar menu.

I'll clean this up and make sure it's working right tomorrow.

http://i.imgur.com/XWxxzHm.jpg

Very nice. I find it kind of annoying that I have to open the small map to do anything, when that's the map I almost never use!

I'm not really familiar with how people generally setup their toolbar buttons. Do people prefer having different buttons for each window of a plugin? And do plugins that require a specific part make the buttons only appear when that part is present, or do they just leave a non-functional button?

I can setup the toolbar support for any of these options, none really requires any more or less effort than the other. I think buttons for each SCANsat window would be a little superfluous, but two might be ok, one for the big map and one that opens a menu to open all of the others. Or maybe just one button to open a menu for all of the windows. I also have a method for making the SCANsat buttons disappear if none of the parts are present.

6xaBFez.jpg

I'm not really familiar with how people generally setup their toolbar buttons. Do people prefer having different buttons for each window of a plugin? And do plugins that require a specific part make the buttons only appear when that part is present, or do they just leave a non-functional button?

It's pretty much standard for part-dependent plugins to hide the button if the part isn't present. Plus, that's the behavior the original SCANsat had in the first place. So definitely do that.

The menu I'm expecting to be a little more controversial. I personally would prefer things that way (I use a lot of mods, so toolbar clutter is a big problem for me), but I can see other people wanting a one-click option.

The non-functioning button on vessels with no SCANsat part doesn't bother me either way as I've got a MM config from I think GavinZac that adds one to every command pod.

ANYWAY, I vote for the menu. My toolbar is cluttered as it is.. Though that said, there is the option to make folders in the toolbar, so you could have each individual button in the SCANsat folder instead of words, and for people who want easy one click access, they can move the buttons from the folder to the main toolbar. I'll get a picture of my MechJeb setup if this is confusing, which it likely is.

Great work DMagic. I agree with everyone in that if the SCANsat part is missing, the toolbar icon should be hidden. As for the buttons, I like a single button with a drop down menu. However if you wanted to make individual buttons I could easily just put them into a toolbar folder so it wouldn't bother me if you decided to do it that way.

If possible you should work your magic on the Protractor mod, it is in need of some toolbar support.

Ok, a couple of things I find upon upgrading to 0.23.5. All in-flight animations (the ones on the VAB work fine) have stopped working, the map doesn't show on screen, big or small, and in general I can't get any functionality out of it no matter what I try. Stopping and starting the instruments, as you can imagine, also does nothing I can see.

When I tried to install the toolbar version to see if the recompiled .dll fixed things, I wasn't able to guess which file of those was the texture, so I couldn't make the button appear to try toggling on and off the control window (it did show up as an option to add to the toolbar, but without texture, I couldn't click it).

So... help? This is a really cool mod, and I would be very grateful if any of you has already tamed this particular kraken and shares the knowledge. Assume I know a bit more than a rock about computers... but not that much more.

Rune. Thanks in advance, and thanks for an awesome mod!

Ok, a couple of things I find upon upgrading to 0.23.5. All in-flight animations (the ones on the VAB work fine) have stopped working, the map doesn't show on screen, big or small, and in general I can't get any functionality out of it no matter what I try.

You probably need to go back to a clean install and try this again with the last official version. This kind of thing probably doesn't have any other simple fix.

Great work DMagic. I agree with everyone in that if the SCANsat part is missing, the toolbar icon should be hidden. As for the buttons, I like a single button with a drop down menu. However if you wanted to make individual buttons I could easily just put them into a toolbar folder so it wouldn't bother me if you decided to do it that way.

People can pick and choose which icons to display on the toolbar right? Maybe I'll just put in buttons for the menu, the small map and the big map. That way people can use whatever combination of buttons they want.

If possible you should work your magic on the Protractor mod, it is in need of some toolbar support.

Maybe, though I'm a little reluctant to do anything unless the mod is actually broken in some way. And also, SCANsat's code is so cleanly laid out that adding in toolbar support is trivial. Protractor's code looks like it's almost all dumped into

one main file, though it's still probably pretty easy to setup toolbar support.

Ok, try this out: http://www./download/u5egmogu8nisctq/SCANsat_Toolbar_V0_2.zip

Version with updated license info if anyone is interested (otherwise the same as above): http://www./download/eejxt14ae2hrcy8/SCANsat_Toolbar_V0_2_1.zip

It should only load when your active vessel has a SCANsat part on it (anything with the SCANsat module should work if you added it to command pods, probe cores, etc...). There are three buttons, one for the main menu with options for all four windows, one for the big map and one for the small map. If you don't want any of them just turn them off in the toolbar config.

Installation is the same as before. You must have the latest official version of SCANsat installed (or one of my two releases). Copy the four files from the SCANsat folder in my package to the main SCANsat folder, overwrite the existing SCANsat.dll file and make sure the three icon files have been copied over. The main SCANsat folder must be in the correct location for the toolbar icons to function (/Main KSP Folder/GameData/Scansat).

As with the last release, this is provided as is, with no guarantee of working or compatibility. I'm not taking requests or suggestions and I have no further plans to modify the SCANsat code. If anyone finds any bugs I can take a look and try to figure it out, but I make no promises.

Blizzy78's toolbar plugin must already be installed or this version of SCANsat won't work. The only way to open the maps/windows is through the toolbar buttons.

*Warning: Does not work with RasterPropMonitor

HVnruc1.jpg

Edited by DMagic
added some license info

Ok, try this out: http://www./download/u5egmogu8nisctq/SCANsat_Toolbar_V0_2.zip

It should only load when your active vessel has a SCANsat part on it (anything with the SCANsat module should work if you added it to command pods, probe cores, etc...). There are three buttons, one for the main menu with options for all four windows, one for the big map and one for the small map. If you don't want any of them just turn them off in the toolbar config.

http://i.imgur.com/HVnruc1.jpg

Your are quickly becoming an invaluable asset to the KSP community. Do not ever leave us! :)

My only pet peeve about this mod is that the correct altitude for each scanner isn't clear. It's not even really vaguely alluded to in the descriptions. Low, high, it's all relative. A very easy solution would be to write-out the values in brackets at the end. I did this myself to my parts files for my own sanity. Example: Scanner 1, RADAR altimetry sensor, end of description reads "(Min: 5 Km. Max: 500 Km. Best: 5 Km.)".

It would be very easy to make that happen if you exclude the 'low resolution' part. Make a new copy of the part folder, edit part.cfg to change

• the name and title
  • the high, low and 'best' altitudes
  • FOV (field of vision).

You can't make it less accurate, but you can leave the FOW low to restrict the usefulness, or have a large power requirement to simulate very active scanning.

Note that 0.23 (and, I assume, 0.23.5) only have biomes on Kerbin, Mun and Minus so flybys aren't particularly useful for biome scanning yet.

Saw this and was intrigued; I too would like a "fly-by" scanner for more instant gratification mapping. So I hopped into Notepad++ and started noodling around with altitude and FOV.

At first I tried (very) moderate alterations and the results seemed promising, but unfortunately they then plateaued at a certain point. Bumping up the FOV to even ridiculous numbers (288) doesn't appear to make a difference; I'm assuming I'm doing something wrong? I thought an altitude of 1.5Mm would be more than adequate... should I go even higher?

BDfaO0y.png

Ideally, I'd like to scan one hemisphere of the map in a single pass. Thanks in advance for any tips/hints/advice!