KMP v0.1.5.1 [0.23] [alpha] [inactive]

TehGimp666

@Agises, If you are compiling from source I recommended downloading git and cloning tehgimp's repo, rather than downloading the zip. The master repo moves that quickly that it will be out of date in less than half a day :P

@ahappydude, if your interested jn contributing, fork gimp's git repo and follow COMPILING.md, I can generally guide you to the correct section if you catch me on IRC. Testing also helps a lot, "many eyes make all bugs shallow".

@thegoog23 the server should tell you if you are missing those 3 files, put them in the same folder as KMPServer.exe

@magnus bug #438 on the github issue tracker, I was hit with this too. If you can reroduce it reliably I'm sure we would like to know :)

Describe the sync bug.

Players in the past can sync with players in the future. When you join in you automatically get sent to the most advanced player. If there is nobody in the future there will be nobody to sync with because you are already in sync (or the other players in the past have to sync to you).

If you mean the server not synchronizing on login, there have been improvements in this area.

Describe the sync bug.

I assume he means the sync when close to another person always seems a bit off,

I had a good few try's at docking and been docked at and in many causes , distances where not the same to each person.

Last I tried, someone came up , suddenly jumped back 10km behind , but to me it still showed him like 1km away.

He was out of fuel so I used the station to approach him , but he couldn't see it.

Would be interesting if you could like have a lock-sync on a target ,

sort of making them share the same time frame 100% priority compared to the rest of the universe

Or he means the duplication effect that some have posted about earlier...

Describe the sync bug.

I assume he means the sync when close to another person always seems a bit off,

I had a good few try's at docking and been docked at and in many causes , distances where not the same to each person.

Last I tried, someone came up , suddenly jumped back 10km behind , but to me it still showed him like 1km away.

He was out of fuel so I used the station to approach him , but he couldn't see it.

Would be interesting if you could like have a lock-sync on a target ,

sort of making them share the same time frame 100% priority compared to the rest of the universe

Or he means the duplication effect that some have posted about earlier...

The "docking mode" positioning got fixed in the spectate merge, Players will see each other at the same distance in the next release.

You may (probably will) notice a bit of jerkiness and loss of thrust when near other players in orbit however.

I'm not sure how to reliably duplicate ships yet, However I know it involves docking, the ambient noise level surrounding your computer, the moon phase, the distance mars is currently from earth and possibly the name of your first pet...

EDIT: because of the goog's post:

You might want to check out this tool, it scans your KSP for missing mods and adds them to the parts file: http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/kmpmodbuilder/. This will still work for the next release 0.1.4, but in 0.1.5 (hopefully) the parts list file is going to be server-sided and will be downloaded on connecting.

DOUBLE EDIT: I have no idea why that button says buy now, But I assume it's an attempt at humor. It still downloads :P

Edited by godarklight

one of the biggest problems is lag though

seems after a while every server gets overrun by stuff floating about and the whole game just gets more and more unplayable...

then ppl go of to another and few hours later, again unplayable

also whats the story on folks from Europe joining us servers, adds lag? doesn't matter? (I'm from Europe)

and ship part count , adds lag, doesn't matter?

after a 2 week break been trying again last few days and its seems even more frustrating as before..

its damn cool you guys are working on this,

but the lag problem is gonna kill the concept if no solution is found

what lag I mean ? after a while , suddenly interuptions happen that cause fps to drop to -1 fps for several minutes,

stuff typed appears 5+ minutes later..

@Skamp_X, In relation to debris, there is a server option called "/dekessler", and I believe autodekessler is coming in the next version too, This is more the server operators responsibility however.

Players with laggy connections shouldn't add to the lag because I'm fairly sure each client is handled in its own thread on the server. Another plus for these guys, dropouts are nearly non-existent in the next version. Bug #312 was a huge pain for me so that was my first fix to KMP.

There's also a /deletevessel command coming for server operators too, but that may be a little tedious as it only takes GUID's atm.

Using build c1007919 my friend and I are still getting consistent UDP connection lost errors. If we just play through it eventually one of us will try to dock with something and then later the whole station disappears. If I host he gets the UDP errors, if he hosts I get the errors. Solid connections, 120ms ping. We don't even have a hickup on TS which I host and is using highest bandwidth settings. Haven't narrowed the cause down yet. I noticed that once I removed lots of debris and manually removed about a hundred ships from the server console that had long since crashed that it was more stable, but haven't had time to verify. Will look into it further, but welcome any suggestions on what to try.

Also, I've noticed large lag spikes regardless of who hosts (approximately 4-5 seconds of non-activity followed by all that activity rapidly catching up). If this happens when I'm warping things can get pretty bad. Doesn't happen in SP for either of us. Might be related to server backing up, but the HDD I'm hosting on has nearly 2gbps read/write capacity so not sure. Need to look into it further.

Hello! New to the forums and extremely new to the game. Me and a friend are playing over Hamachi but we can't see eachother. I read on the first page that you could. Are we doing anything wrong?

I use hamachi just fine. Do you have a malware blocker? Hamachi usually tunnels through most firewalls and routers just fine, but things like peerblock/etc need to allow the IP.

@magnus udp is only used for small messages that aren't too critical. If you see udp connection lost if will send stuff over tcp so it's not too big a problem. Uploading a screenshot is the most likely cause of this on slower connections as the upload will block other messages getting through. They will catch up afterwards. Loading *huge* ships also seems to drop UDP too.

About the hamachi thing, if you are all using windows and don't have access to the router for portforwarding, it makes perfect sense to use it. If you can port forward I'd recommend that instead, you may get less lag too.

/me waits for the day we all have native IPv6 and portforwarding will no longer exist...

When we originally started we were both making rather ridiculously huge ships, and a lot of them. My theory is that the connection was dropping out when these were being synced, even though none of them were in flight (they were all still in the shiplist).

We weren't sending many screenshots. It was also a bit erratic when it comes to small messages, such as chat. Some of the chat messages would send, some would delay (over a minute sometimes, 10s other times), some would simply drop, and there wasn't any order or reason to it. It feels like a buffer was getting clogged up and not releasing as the chat messages never fixed themselves until the server was reset. Not too long after the station I was docking with stopped updating position on my client. I crashed into it on the server apparently and broke it apart, but on my screen it exploded randomly. I guess it could be a coincidence that these two issues happened right after one another on an otherwise perfectly solid connection, but it seems unlikely.

So here is a new one...

Playing locally. Launch a ship to dock with a station. Every single time I go into warp there is a 2-3s lag spike. As I get close to the station I notice the navball is showing my targets speed (not relative speed to me) so I can't kill velocity. I attempt to exit to KSC, but the exit flight button does absolutely nothing. With no other options I end the task. Log back in, station is gone.

This mod really loves to delete stations for whatever reason(s). I've had it happen about 6-7 times now. Closest I got was 7km this time, but that itself was odd as my maneuver which was executed to within 0.1m said I should be about 200m away, but after completely/warping to position I was 7km.

I only launched one ship this session, I was only playing 4m. In the server log I see that at 12:10:50 the server added my new vessel to the game. At 12:10:51 (1s later) the server added 13 new ships to the universe all with their own ID. I can repeat the last part, but not the lag when warping. Looking at the ship list after the fact, I can not find any of the 13 extra ID's. Looks like my stages make it out of the bubble and then get deleted. The station that is missing does show up in my shiplist but it had <magnus333> after the name, indicating that it's locked to me. Perhaps it really is in the server but not showing up for whatever reason.

I believe this is a continuation of issue #449 as I'm picking up from the same universe file. Maybe a combination of ships going private when in docking range as well as some sort of shiplist stability issue.

Edited by magnus333

Looks like the windows server has a memory leak. Ran into the same 'lag on warp, target relative velocity is wrong, can't leave the ship' bug, end task come back and the station is gone. Checked server memory usage, it was at 1.5gb, which is where it was an hour ago when I looked. Friend logged on and server window spat out the error below about being out of memory. Continued to play for a while not realizing the server wasn't responding until I ran into the bug above. Stop server via command, still utilizing 300mb. Close and reopen, using 2k. Start server, using 112k.

Shouldn't be too hard to replicate. Load up the universe on windows and fly a few things to the station. I've run into it twice today.

Server log:

[14:34:34] [info] : Vessel update error: Exception of type 'System.OutOfMemoryException' was thrown. at System.Runtime.Serialization.ObjectIDGenerator.Rehash()

at System.Runtime.Serialization.ObjectIDGenerator.GetId(Object obj, Boolean& firstTime)

at System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.ObjectWriter.InternalGetId(Object obj, Boolean assignUniqueIdToValueType, Type type, Boolean& isNew)

at System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.ObjectWriter.Schedule(Object obj, Boolean assignUniqueIdToValueType, Type type, WriteObjectInfo objectInfo)

at System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.ObjectWriter.WriteMembers(NameInfo memberNameInfo, NameInfo memberTypeNameInfo, Object memberData, WriteObjectInfo objectInfo, NameInfo typeNameInfo, WriteObjectInfo memberObjectInfo)

at System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.ObjectWriter.WriteMemberSetup(WriteObjectInfo objectInfo, NameInfo memberNameInfo, NameInfo typeNameInfo, String memberName, Type memberType, Object memberData, WriteObjectInfo memberObjectInfo)

at System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.ObjectWriter.Write(WriteObjectInfo objectInfo, NameInfo memberNameInfo, NameInfo typeNameInfo, String[] memberNames, Type[] memberTypes, Object[] memberData, WriteObjectInfo[] memberObjectInfos)

at System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.ObjectWriter.Write(WriteObjectInfo objectInfo, NameInfo memberNameInfo, NameInfo typeNameInfo)

at System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.ObjectWriter.Serialize(Object graph, Header[] inHeaders, __BinaryWriter serWriter, Boolean fCheck)

at System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.BinaryFormatter.Serialize(Stream serializationStream, Object graph, Header[] headers, Boolean fCheck)

at KMPServer.Server.ObjectToByteArray(Object obj)

at KMPServer.Server.sendPluginUpdateToAll(Byte[] data, Boolean secondaryUpdate, Client cl)

[14:34:34] [Error] : Unexpected exception encountered! Crash report written to log file

[14:34:34] [Error] : System.OutOfMemoryException: Exception of type 'System.OutOfMemoryException' was thrown.

at KMPServer.Server.hostingLoop()

at KMPServer.ServerMain.hostServer(ConfigStore settings)

[14:34:34] [Error] : Stacktrace:

[14:34:34] [Error] : at KMPServer.Server.buildMessageArray(ServerMessageID id, Byte[] data)

at KMPServer.Server.sendPluginUpdateToAll(Byte[] data, Boolean secondaryUpdate, Client cl)

at KMPServer.Server.handleMessage(Client cl, ClientMessageID id, Byte[] data)

at KMPServer.Server.handleConnections()

Also, it would be really nice if the client would notify the user when no connection has been made with the server for a while to avoid playing for 45m+ only to realize nothing is syncing.

Edited by magnus333

@magnus333, I think with the few different issues you have it would be helpful to jump on IRC. I'm really only a small contributor to KMP, but I should be able to work through some of the bugs.

Being in the GMT+10 timezone usually causes issues for me though :)

EDIT: @Gamercraft_GC, But then you will miss out on things like this:

Edited by godarklight

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.